logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
fret12.com
Seller refused to take items back
2. (32 mins ago)
offleaseonly
damage cars instead of a car
3. (32 mins ago)
Contract Scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Brown Mackie College-Indy, Indianapolis, Indiana Complaints & Reviews - Worst Place Ever

Brown Mackie College-Indy Contacts & Informations

Brown Mackie College-Indy

Posted:    Dissatisfied Customer of BMC

Worst Place Ever

Brown Mackie College-Indy
1200 N. Meridian
Indianapolis, Indiana
brownmackie.edu
This place is co crazy. It was the one of the most expensive mistakes I have ever made. Let's start with the classes. There are no instructors or teachers. The root word of teacher is "teach" and let me tell you that is definately not what they do. Anything I know I taught myself. The class would consist of the instructor telling you to read 10 chapters in a book and a test in 1-2 days. Nuts!! They do not review the material, if they do they go over a powerpoint that is exactly like the book. You learn nothing that you are supposed to. Then lets go to the end of your term. At the time of the appointment with admissions, I was fed with so many great things about the college. But much to my dismay, when I graduated there were no internships, externships, work-study programs, hands-on training, on-the-job training, absolutely nothing. I did several months of nothing but book work. Then there is the idea of job placement assistance. The schools idea of assistance is e-mailing you a place that is hiring, that's it. Seven weeks before I graduated, I complained to the Department Chair and Dean about my dissatisfaction and unhappiness with the school. The Dean said to me, "If you are so unhappy and miserable here, then why would you stay here rather than just transferring elsewhere." Yes, she said that and I only had 7 weeks left. The school is a sham. I have had so many problems with them, it is unbeilievable. The classes that you must take are unorthoydox and absolutely absurd, they have nothing to do with your field of study. I have since then looked up and talked to several other schools about their programs. To my dismay only MAYBE half of the credits will even transfer. No school I have talked to requires such idiotic classes to attend. The worst mistake ever, was being suckered and lied to believe that this place was a good college to attend. I guess you live and learn. But as I said, biggest and most expensive mistake ever!!! Watch it!!! Do your homework and make sure you school shop around. And don't be a sucker like me. GOOD LUCK!!!-I'm going to need it too!!!
Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of May, 2009 by   mr. pirate 0 Votes
Indy: I hear you... BM will promise you anything, as long as your financial aid is good. Tuition is more than a regular college, and the books cost twice what you can get online. And what about their fabulous financial aid office~ pathetic.

Advice to everyone reading this: Don't be sucked in by BM's massive advertising and recruitment tactics. Who do you think is paying for all those commercials? YOU ARE.

Good luck-
Nurse Karyn
 17th of Aug, 2009 by   none12345 +1 Votes
I currently go to BM in Boise, and find that although some of the teachers shouldn't be teaching certain classes, for the most part this school is a really good school. Yes tuition is expensive, and yes some of your credits aren't transferable, but it is a credited school.
Just like any other college, not all credits are transferable, no matter where you go.
Not all BM's are the same either. The dean and president here bust their butts to get us what we need and are working with local colleges so students can transfer when they want to.
Maybe you just have really bad deans and presidents at your schools.
 5th of Jan, 2010 by   tskipc 0 Votes
I am currently enrolled in BM Indianapolis and it is the worst school I have ever attended. I have a 4.0, the teachers are good, it is expensive, although it seems like there is a fight, or almost one, every night. I cannot believe that the dean of this school would continue to allow these students to disrupt their school when others are paying so much in tuition and have trouble learning because of all the disruptions. They will let ANYONE in as long as your financial aid will go through. I already received my associates degree elsewhere, but am attending to attain my bachelors. I will continue to attend this school, but hope that the problems they seem to have are taken care of quickly.
 19th of Jul, 2010 by   dnsiw 0 Votes
I am thinking about attending Brown Mackie for the OTA program. Being that this is the only school for this program in Indianapolis I know there is a need for it. Does anyone have any feed back on this program and how job placement has been?
 23rd of Sep, 2010 by   Disgusted in Boise +1 Votes
I am a current student at bmc in Boise and can tell you first hand they suck! The teachers don't know what they are doing, some are teaching classes they are not qualified for. (Such as the microcomputers class I took the teacher learned more from the students than the students learned from her! She was an english teacher teaching micro computers!) The financial aid office does not answer any questions that you may have. I was denied my stipened money because MY HUSBAND quit his job. That is just stupid! Teachers do not help even when you repeatedly ask for it, they tell you to figure it out or get with another student. I like others that I know are taking a bunch of pass/fail classes that you don't even get credit for, but we still have to pay for them! BMC s way of getting more of peoples hard earned money. And they just raised tuition again! They do not post your next classroom or teacher until a day or two before the class starts, because they juggle their teachers around so much they do not even know what they are doing. Several times I have had assignments that I have done but never got a grade for because the teachers do not post them. Do not try emailing a teacher, the office or financial aid because you will not get a response. BMC Boise is a worthless investment in your future do not waste your money there! I am trying to transfer out right now!
 18th of Jan, 2011 by   neutralkid 0 Votes
I've been getting calls from Brown Mackie asking if I was interested in attending their college. I already had my mind set on somewhere else, but not because of the negative feedback. Of course now that I'm hearing all this, I will definitely steer clear of them.
 12th of Mar, 2011 by   JULIA W +1 Votes
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT GOING TO THIS SCHOOL. I AM CURRENTLY A STUDENT AND WILL BE WITHDRAWLING SOON. I HAVE BEEN AT THE SCHOOL FOR 8 MONTHS AND HAVE LEARNED NOTHING ! THE TEACHERS DONT TEACH YOU ANYTHING AND MOST THE "TEACHERS" SHOULDNT EVEN BE TEACHING THE CLASSES THEY ARE ! THEY TELL YOU NOTHING BUT TO READ 10 CHAPTERS IN 2 DAYS THEN TAKE A TEST. WHAT IS THAT TEACHING US ? THE TUITION IS RIDICULOUSLY HIGH. I CALLED AROUND TO SOME OTHER COLLEGES AND FOUND SOME THINGS OUT. BROWN MACKIE IS VERY LOW ACCREDITED, THEY ARE ACCREDITED BUT ON THE LOWEST SCALE POSSIBLE. MOST SCHOOLS WONT EVEN TAKE THEIR CREDITS. I FOUND OUT THAT BROWN MACKIE IS A "BUSINESS" NOT JUST A SCHOOL. THEY MAKE MONEY OFF OF STUDENTS GOING THERE ALOT. MOST SCHOOLS ARE NON PROFIT AND JUST WANT STUDENTS TO GET AN EDUCATION, NOT BROWN MACKIE, THEY WANT YOUR MONEY !!! I HONESTLY BELIEVE THE WHOLE SCHOOL IS A SCAM !!! DONT GO ! THE TEACHERS ARE TERRIBLE AND THEY DONT CARE NEARLY AS MUCH AS THEY CLAIM !
 31st of Mar, 2011 by   amandagudgell 0 Votes
I currently am a student at BMC Boise. I am currently try ing to transfer to a different school. I do not want to go to another class there but my financial aid is not starting again until May so if I dropped now would I owe them money or just my student loans? I do not want to give them another dollar but do not want to suffer if I choose to leave now. I need my financial aid for the new school I want to start on May 2. Does anyone know what to do in this situation> email me?? amandagudgell@yahoo.com
 17th of Aug, 2011 by   Nia Starr 0 Votes
I AM WITH YOU THERE!!! WHAT A DARN SHME AND AN EXPENSIVE SHAM...
I GRADUATED IN 2009 AND I WAS PROUD OF MYSELF OF WHAT I THOUGHT I ACCOMPLISHED. I WAS NOMINATED STUDENT OF THE YEAR AND WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT TO FIND OUT THAT NOONE WAS ABLE TO LOCATE THE YOUNG LADY WHO WAS OVER THAT DEPARTMENT. NOT A PICTURE, NOT A VIDEO. NOT A THING BUT THE PLAQUE FOR STUDENT OF THE YEAR.. I WAS VERY HURT BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE TOOK TIME OUT OF THEIR DAY AND LIFE TO COME TO THE GRADUATION AND, THAT IN ITSELF SHOWED ME THAT MY FAMILY, FRIENDS AND CHURCH CARED...

BROWN MACKIE IS A BIG JOKE AND I WAS VERY DISSAPOINTED IN NOT BEING ABLE TO GET MY BUSINESSCERTIFICATION UNTIL A YEAR LATER DUE TO MANY OTEHR STUDENTS NOT COMPLETING THERE LAST CLASS OR TWO AFTER GRADUATION. THAT WAS NOT MY FAULT AND I SHOULD AND ANY OTHER STUDENTS DID NOT DESERVE TO HAVE TO WAIT FOR OUR HARD EARNED DEGREE/ CERTIFICATE DUE TO SOMEONE ELSE.. WELL, I HAVE MOVED ON AND AM GOING TO IVY WHERE I KNOW WHAT I LEARN WILL BE RETAINED AND I WILL TRULY FEEL LIKE I ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING THAT I WORKED FOR AND EARNED..
ALL OF YOU HAVE A VERY BLESSED DAY AND PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS... I NEEDED TO VENT... TAKE CARE.
 16th of Jan, 2012 by   mrindyguy05 0 Votes
@dnsiw-Ivy Tech has a PTA program available in Muncie, University of Indianapolis has a PTA program (verrrry expensive), University of Southern Indiana in Evansville has an OTA program, Vincennes University has a PTA program in Vincennes. Honestly if you're in or around the immediate Indianapolis area or suburbs, Brown Mackie, University of Indianapolis and Ivy Tech's PTA program out of Muncie are really the only plausible/semi plausible options. I've hesitated for quite some time in enrolling in Brown Mackie just because it's so expensive and I'm really worried about being able to pay it back. I will say though, Brown Mackie WILL accept credits from Ivy Tech. Guys, I'm telling you, this would probably be the smartest option to a path of going to Brown Mackie. Find out the pre requisite classes that are comparable to Ivy Tech's, take the pre-req's at Ivy tech for dirt cheap, then all you'll have to worry about paying for is the core OTA classes! I know for the OTA program the pre req's that you can knock out of the way at Ivy Tech are:
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Sociology
Eng 111
Eng 112
Intro to Literature
Comm 101
Medical Terminology
Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2 (Brown Mackie will say that those two classes equal one of theirs)
Intro to Microcomputers

That's TEN classes that you can knock out of the way for dirt cheap without having all that debt hanging over your head! I know it's not as fun or easy of a sell as just taking the one class per month, etc.-but the extra work is worth THOUSANDS!
 1st of Feb, 2013 by   hb01OT 0 Votes
I graduated from the OTA program in Indianapolis. I have a job, but Brown Mackie is pumping out so many that there arent alot of jobs anymore. All the COTA's that work for my company have been cut to part time and had our benefits cut. Although the OTA program wasnt too bad, the other classes I took at BMC were a joke. The school was on lock down a few times because fights broke out, even students beating up teachers. The school is a joke and has a horrible reputation to employers and the community. I would advise you to go to Ivy tech for Physical therapy Assisting. You will learn alot more and be safer. Even though I heard they increased security at Brown Mackie. Sad you have to fear getting mugged or beat up when you are in college.LOL
 1st of Feb, 2013 by   hb01OT 0 Votes
and I had taken all my pre-req classes at Ivytech and they still bullied me into taking other classes I knew I didn't need. I spent 30, 000 to go to school there for a little over a year. Then they told me I had to pay an additional 4000 when I graduated, because they made a mistake and I had to pay that out of pocket before they would release my info so I could take my test. They did that to almost everyone I know that graduated from there. DONT GO TO BROWN MACKIE. ATLEAST THE INDY LOCATION SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN.

IRS Warns Of E Mail Phishing Scheme