logo

CVS
Manager Mistreating a kid
3. (27 mins ago)
Dermajuv.com
I ended up returning the products as I didn't see any difference in my skin texture
4. (28 mins ago)

Posted:    healthyme50

treatment made symptoms worse

Bodylogicmd
Ohio
In July of 2010, I went to one of Bodylogicmd's doctors to discuss a wellness program to help me maintain or improve my state of health. I had minor symptoms of perimenopause, and a "sluggish" thyroid that had been treated by a endocrinologist for twenty years. I was switched to a natural thyroid hormone from my synthetic synthroid and told that it would likely give me more energy and be much better for my body. Additionally, I was given prescriptions for natural progesterone and testosterone creams. In July, my thyroid function tested normally. By November, it tested off the charts hypothyroid (low - over TEN times the normal reading). I was tired, my libido was zero, and my hair was breaking off. On my own volition, I discovered that the compounding pharmacy substituted a product for the natural Armour thyroid hormone after the first month due to supply problems, which they said would probably persist due to the way it is distributed. Bodylogic's doctor had no idea that this happened and he did not intend to test me for three months (allowing my thyroid function to plummet unnoticed, except by me!)

I switched to a different Bodylogicmd doctor at this time and at my initial consultation, it was apparent that he was just reading my chart for the first time (he seemed surprised when he noticed the out of balance thyroid report - done for this consultation). We discussed the pharmacy's problems and he put me back on synthroid and added a new pharmaceutical, Cytomel. He started me on 25 mg. After starting this product, my chest started to feel tight and my heart was pounding all the time.

I decided to go to my regular doctor (internist) and try to get this right. In late December, she evaluated more blood tests and told me the Cytomel was way too high and reduced it to 10 mg. I now feel much better. My hair is still thin and I am hoping it will thicken up after a few months.

I still have little libido and will be discussing this with her at my next appointment. The only positive thing I came away with is this addition of Cytomel, just in a reduced amount. I still use the progesterone and testosterone cream, but I don't notice any benefit - in fact I just missed a period for the first time.

I can't believe that either of these doctors treated my thyroid so casually, without a quicker review of the effectiveness of the therapy. This simple procedure would have revealed the imbalance created by the pharmacy.

So after all of this, I would caution anyone about going to a Bodylogicmd doctor. It is EXTREMELY expensive - for my two consultations and blood tests I spent over $1, 000, of which none was covered by insurance (though I knew that going in). I thought it would be worth it to enhance my health. It was not. I played a dangerous game with physicians who really weren't looking out for my best interst. The second one didn't even call me back after I cancelled my follow up appointment. Apparently, they don't even want to know how their "customers" feel about the service rendered.

I don't now if there is a fountain of youth, but I didn't find it at Bodylogicmd.
Comments United States Doctors
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of Feb, 2010 by   Sarah at BodyLogicMD -1 Votes
Dear HealthyMe50,

I wanted to reach out to you and get a little more detail regarding your concerns with regard to your experience with some of our physicians. The experiences that you describe do not sound typical of the experiences that so many women and men have with our network of physicians. Our doctors pride themselves on being extremely concerned with their patients, and more often than not, you will find that they transitioned out of traditional medicine .and into our network so they could spend more time and focus more energy on each of their patients.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience - we strive to provide the hightest level of service and ensure that our patients feel their best! With your valued feedback we can only get better.

In health,

bsmith@bodylogicmd.com
 29th of Mar, 2010 by   Victim -2 Votes
Dear healthyme50,
Are you sure you got your dates right? Just wondering. As of this writing your opening remarks ..."In July of 2010, ..." have not actually occurred. If your "minor symptoms" included not knowing which year it was - perhaps you chose the wrong type of doctor? Not tracking time in the normal way or making simple mistakes in the year is actually a typical symptom of hormonal imbalance. It takes time to balance the hormones. Sometimes it takes experimentation and yes...sometimes the symptoms are misleading and different hormones are needed to "get it right".

Good luck. I wish you a speedy recovery and the most excellent health!
 15th of Apr, 2010 by   AlsoNotHappy +1 Votes
I agree with healthyme50. Her story sounds very similar to mine in that the doctor doesn't seem to be reading my chart when he perscribes things to me. I too am in perimenopause and have a slow thyroid. My BodyLogic doctor immediately told me to increase my thryoid mg, using the synthetic perscription that my primary care physician perscribed. I tried it for a while and quicly realized that it was the wrong thing to do. I have yet to miss a period, am high in estrogen levels, yet get night sweats every night. Before I started treatment with BodyLogic I had periodic night sweats. Despite my normal readings of testosterone and progesteron, I was perscribed testosterone cream and pogesterone cream. My night sweats increased to nightly. My BodyLogic dr. increased my pogesterone - didn't work. Then decreased my progesterone and gave me estrogen - didn't work. Then he increased my estrogen - didn't work. Then he changed my estrogen from cream to a patch - didn't work. It has been 8 months through all of this expensive trail and error. Each time I email him he asks the same questions, as if he doesn't know me at all. His staff has made so many errors with perscriptions (took a month before they called one in to the pharmacy) that he blamed it on his staff being too busy and not being able to get to emails quickly enough. As a result he has halted all email communication with his patients, forcing them to make appointments to get resolution - which of course costs the patients an office visit. I could go on and on about how unprofessional his office and the main office has been with treating me. My goal of getting my mild perimenopause symptoms resolved, not only haven't been resolved but he has tried to sell me on diet treatments, and other unnecessary treatments. I wouldn't advise anyone to use BodyLogic.
 21st of Apr, 2010 by   LFULaw +1 Votes
I have had the opposite results with my BodyLogicMD doctor. I have found him to be completely helpful.

My doctor is so great that I can't imagine anyone going through a different experience than my own. I don't know what location you are in but I can honestly say that I have no complaints. Perhaps you should make it known which doctor you had the negative experience with instead of generalizing. This way people can get better and more specific information from you. I see Dr. Lee in the Miami office.

My doctor sat with my and gave me an entire program consisting of diet and hormones.
 3rd of May, 2010 by   Sarah at BodyLogicMD -1 Votes
Hi AlsoNotHappy,

I wanted to find out more information about your concerns so that we can help you get some resolution. BodyLogicMD doctors are highly trained and specialize in the delicate balance of hormones in our bodies. With high quality testing and compounding pharmacies along with a thorough review of your symptoms, they prescribe a customized treatment plan for your unique needs. Balancing a person's hormone levels can take some time, unfortunately it doesn't happen overnight - although we all would love it if it did!

As for a lack of professionalism, I am truly embarrassed. As a company, we pride ourselves on our customer service and I'm glad to say there are tens of thousands of women and men who can vouch for that. I apologize for anything other than utmost professionalism and any disorganization that may have impacted you negatively. We appreciate any feedback - it only helps us improve!

Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

bsmith@bodylogicmd.com
 3rd of May, 2010 by   Sarah at BodyLogicMD +1 Votes
Hi LFULaw,

Thank you for your feedback! Dr. Lee is great - we agree :)

Best,
 24th of Jun, 2010 by   LnJsmom -1 Votes
My experience with my Bodylogicmd doctor has been wonderful from the beginning. Since I am far from perimenopause, I had been told there was nothing that could be done other than birth control and an antidepressant. I was not willing to take either. After much research, reading and attending a seminar I decided to take the first step. I see Dr. Thackrey in Ft. Lauderdale. He has always taken the time to explain everything completely.

Yes, it did take a few months to get everything back on track. This included lots of phone call and emails to all of his office staff. I always found them very considerate and willing to do what I needed at that time. I have now been with him 10 months and would not do this any other way. I sleep, my energy is the best it has been in years, I enjoy my family, plus many other things.

I have seen such improvement that my husband now has an appointment to see Dr. Thackrey as well.

Thank you Dr. Thackrey!!!
 28th of Jun, 2010 by   Sarah at BodyLogicMD -1 Votes
Thank you for your comments and positive feedback LnJsmom! We appreciate your time and are so happy to hear that you are feeling great!

Best,
Barb at BodyLogicMD
 4th of Sep, 2010 by   William C Barnett -1 Votes
I am a current male patient for BodyLogic MD. I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience with Bodylogic MD. I have been with them over two years and have recommended them to both male and female friends. Many of whom are satisfied customers.
I feel healthyme 50 is trying to find blame in a situation that really can't be pinpointed to one cause.
As far as the cost. It depends on your insurance. My insurance covers many of the tests but not the supplements or hormones. I find the cost to be well worth the change in my energy level, sex drive, and overall health. In the treatment offered to me, there were many options available to fit one's budget. Again, the cost to me is well worth the well that I feel today.
As you can see from the interaction above, BodyLogic MD has always been easy to reach - both the physician and their customer service. I have seen the Dr. in Chicago and now in Milwaukee now that they have an office here. From the two physicians that I have seen, I have had the same great service from both. I feel that they have my best interest at heart.
I realize my treatment as a male may be different than yours but I couldn't disagree more with the negative comments about their level of care and interest in me as a patient.
For anyone considering Bodylogic MD, don't let the negative comments above hender you from at least checking into it. I am glad I did.
A very satisfied client.
bbarnett
 10th of Nov, 2010 by   premature49 +1 Votes
I just treatment with BodyLogic in Orlando about a week and half ago. I recently have hystercomty in July that push me right into premature menopause. My doctor and her staff seems knowledge and caring so far. I really enjoyed my first initial visit. It was vey emotionally for me to learn that I'm not the only one feeling the way I do, and there's hope at there. I just tried my first bio-est cream at a very low dose, but it's not working for me. So we will be trying the capusles instead at a very low dose since I so sensative to the creams. My physician tells me it could take awhile to get everything working properly but we will get there. I'm glad to hear the good news and results from others, this will help me to continue this process until I get the results I need.
 10th of Nov, 2010 by   premature49 +1 Votes
Sorry for the misspelled words on the above comment, as you can see I didn't use spell check. Lets try this again. I just started treatment with Body logic in Orlando about a week and half ago. I recently have hysterectomy in July that push me right into premature menopause. My doctor and her staff seems knowledge and caring so far. I really enjoyed my first initial visit. It was very emotionally for me to learn that I'm not the only one feeling the way I do, and there's hope at there. I just tried my first bio-est cream at a very low dose, but it's not working for me. So we will be trying the capsules instead at a very low dose since I so sensitive to the creams. My physician tells me it could take awhile to get everything working properly but we will get there. I'm glad to hear the good news and results from others, this will help me to continue this process until I get the results I need.
 20th of Nov, 2010 by   corbettcs +2 Votes
Our recent experience with BodyLogic in Dallas was a real disappointment. I think it depends on the doctor and office staff. It some locations it will be good, in others not so good. In Dallas, our first round of hormone therapy with my menopausal wife produced some breakthrough bleeding. This is not unusual and we know the doses are typically tweaked, but when it happens you should call your doctor immediately. Not only did the Dallas office have no after-hours number, but the office manager hadn't even checked voicemail by lunch on the following Monday, when we called again to report the bleeding problem. When the doctor called us back, she barely let my wife get a word in edge-wise (she seemed in a hurry) and when my wife asked simple questions about the fairly significant changes being prescribed (though the doctor seemed to vacilate indecisively, admitting she wasn't knowledgable about the type of pregesterone medium she had prescribed, which also made us a little worried), the doctor seemed quite defensive and emotional even though my wife was calm and compliant. I was working from home that day, so I know it wasn't my wife "spinning" the account. Then more problems arose. The doctor had gotten the thyroid testing out of phase with the other hormone testing, leading to extra costs and extra expensive phone consults ($150 per 15 minutes) that shouldn't have been necessary. To her credit, the doctor did cut us a little slack on the charge for the extra consult. But when my wife called back a few minutes later to ask the office manager a procedural question, the office manager cut my wife off and immediately transferred the call into the doctor, who of course was exsaperated thinking that my wife was callingwith another medical question. She reacted extremely negative and emotional--no doctor should ever talk down to a patient that way. I was astonished. We knowlingly paid BodyLogic top dollar expecting to get first-class advice and avoid the typical assembly line treatment you often get with conventional doctors. Instead, we got indecision, mistakes, condescension, slow service, and felt like a line item on the budget rather than human beings needing personalized help navigating menopause. This is a relatively new office, and perhaps they are having cash-flow issues or are just short-handed and not managing things will. We don't know. But we are transferring care to another provider. However, other BodyLogic practices may be better.
 24th of Nov, 2010 by   Susan P Turner +1 Votes
I am into my third year of bodylogic, , , the individual Dr's are amazingly diverse, , and some border on ignorance, my experience is that you MUST be your own advacate in staying on top of getting your prescriptions, , , I run out even tho I call my Dr in Ct, call the pharmacy in Alabama etc, , it is extremley expensive and frustrating!! Currently I am waiting for re-testing and am almost out of my meds, , , it is my FOURTH phonecall to CT Dr and alas they are closed for the entire THanksgiving week, , , no testing, no meds. I was guaranteed that this would not occur as it was a major concern, , but it has and they are a very dis-organzied company. That said, , , my Dr did diagnose me with adrenal fatique and she was correct and I am better, , albeit frustrated~!!! It's expensive and frustrating, , but when you stay on top of getting your meds, , it can work out, , , errr, , I did stay on top and am out of everything.
Susan in Florida
 26th of Nov, 2010 by   Teena Phillips 0 Votes
Another solution. Go to the source. The guy who founded SottoPelle pellets AND trains Doctors for bioidentical therapy is Dr. Gino Tutera 480-874-1515.
He created the pellets "so the body uses the reservoir of
hormones to draw what it needs only when it is needed", and avoid the roller coaster ride from patches, creams and pills. He started in CA and AZ. There is only one trained doctor in MD, DC and VA and she is in Sterling, VA. Dr. Linda Coleman 703-444-7090.

My Aetna covered the cost of labs and the initial visit.
I paid $325. for pellet insertion that will last 6 months.
I am 65 and had total hysterectomy at 29. Premarin for 34 years, stopped in 2004. 2008 I began to have symptoms of brain fog, memory, depressed mood and had NO libido for 34 years. Those ALL improved 3 weeks and 3 days after putting 3 pellets in. (Pellets are size of a grain of rice), a little local anesthetic to implant in buttock just below waist. Nov 24, 2010 marked 5 weeks.
I was ready to fly to CA (I'm a native) to get this done.
Californians won't tolerate NOT feeling young, and there are hundreds of these doctors there and in AZ.

Teena Phillips, Maryland
 23rd of Jan, 2011 by   somewhatconfusing +1 Votes
I have not been to a bodylogicmd but I called with questions before making an appointment and the person at bodylogicmd told me you must have read the website to get our number and if the website didn't answer your questions there's nothing else I can tell you either you want to make an appointment or not... so I didn't make an appointment... even before that I filled out a questionnairre online and gave them my telephone number and got an email stating they would call within 48 hours two weeks passed and they never called that was when I called them and they were so rude it was the bodylogicmd in little rock, ar one year ago my condition has not changed if anything it's getting worse and no other doctor has been able to help me; I'm concerned that they don't accept insurance but if I ultimately go maybe my insurance will pay the lab tests and save me half the costs for appointments however the meds are a horse of another color why will they not take insurance is there something wrong with their business practices why is the medication not covered like other medications used for medicinal purposes?
 3rd of Mar, 2011 by   appreciative +1 Votes
I want to say that my experience with BodyLogicMD has been pleasant and very enlightening. My doctor is located near Cinti., OH and she is wonderful. She is incredibly knowledgable and explained everything to me in detail. She answered all of my questions. She was very compassionate and showed much concern, which told me she believes in what she is doing for people. I do not feel misled in any way. I did my homework prior to the seminar and prior to my first visit, so I knew what I was getting into treatment wise and expense wise. I was not expecting a miracle overnight. You must be very specific and accurate when providing symptom information even though lab results provide a good amt. of information for the doctor to know what supplements, diet and hormone regimine to start you on. Anytime you start a new medication you should always know that the dosage may need to be adjusted. Our symptoms may be the same, but the way our bodies react to certain substances can be very different. Yes, this program can be very costly at first because it may take some changes in hormone types and strengths to get it right, but you can't put a price on good health. We also have to do OUR PART by eating right, exercising and doing things to decrease our stress levels. Our physicians can't be with us on a daily basis to make sure we do these things! This is all part of the program and if you want the full benefits, you must comply. Don't be so quick to judge BodyLogicMD based on your experience with one physician...not fair. Once again, I would like to say that my doctor is absolutely wonderful and I'm thankful that there are physicians like her out there to help people. One other thing, they do not force you to use their pharmacy. It's a convenient option that can offer competitive rates and can mail your products directly to you. You can use your own pharmacy or call around for a pharmacy that compounds. If you have refill or reorder issues, use common sense and don't wait until the last minute. You can usually reorder 1-2 wks before running out, giving you time to contact your physician or a new pharmacy if needed. Hope this was helpful. L.Allen
 6th of Mar, 2011 by   Need a Hormone Fix 0 Votes
I live in Houston, TX and recently filled out the online questionnaire. I got a rapid response from the BodyLogic office in the Woodlands. I would like to get some feedback from someone who has dealt with this particular office. It seems quite pricey and I'm a little apprehensive with the comments I'm reading being so diverse.
 17th of Mar, 2011 by   m000 0 Votes
I am trying to find a good bio-identical hormen replacement therapy physician. If anyone knows any good physician, please let me know.
I did call to a body logic doctor but I have not made up my mind yet.

Thanks,
 29th of Mar, 2011 by   Diane_Roberts 0 Votes
I signed up for treatment which initially means lab tests. I paid the initial $495. on my credit card to cover these tests. After speaking with my husband the same day, we decided that the treatment would be way out of our budget so I sent an email to Missy, the women I spoke to earlier to ask her to cancel my treatment. You see, you only have 7 days to cancel. If you cancel within the 7 days you will get a refund of 495, minus $75. for their "processing" fee.

I have emailed Missy and Dr. Donahue in Atlanta to notify them of my cancellation and as of yet I have not heard a response. I will update you as to how this goes.
 11th of Apr, 2011 by   Patrick Savage 0 Votes
As the President of BodyLogicMD I thought it might be good if I responded to these comments.
First - if there is ever a case that you are unhappy -- please email me (psavage@bodylogicmd.com) - I promise to make it right.
When we started this in 2003 -- we based it on 3 tenets. 1) we would work with only the highest trained physicians in BHRT (they are required to complete an amazing amount of CME's in this field). 2) That we only worked with the most passionate/caring physicians and 3) we offered the very best in patient care/customer service. These tenets have served us well. Now with over 12, 000 patients nation wide -- it has proven right
Patient care is our utmost concern.
In BHRT and preventative care -- these are the best doctors. But for ANY reason you feel differently -- then please email me so we can make it right
We really truly care for your health. I care, we all care, that you are happy with what we offer.
Patrick Savage, President - BodyLogicMD (www.bodylogicmd.com)

5 Tips on Finding a Real Estate Agent