logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Zong Tower
Installation of tower without permission
2. (5 mins ago)
Fraud and cheating!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

BB&T Bank Complaints & Reviews - They will flat ruin you!

BB&T Bank Contacts & Informations

BB&T Bank

Posted:    Justme

They will flat ruin you!

I have had access to my direct-deposited funds on the same day, but the online banking is a big problem. It is true that you cannot know your actual balance online, particularly if you use the debit card. It seems the balance only reflects a nominal portion or maybe a percentage of the actual amount debited and it won't post the full amount or where it went to until 2-3 days later. So those funds look online like they're available to you, but you'll get burned with fees later when you find out that the balance is entirely inaccurate.

I deposited a payroll check from a second job, as well as a state tax refund check on Wednesday morning and it wasn't credited until Thursday. And here's the fun part, which I'm battling with them on at the moment:

At my full-time job I have direct deposit, am always paid on Fridays, and I use their online bill pay set up to have all my bills come out on payday Fridays. I discovered this morning that they changed my payment date on all my currently due bills to THURSDAY. I didn't tell them to do that. They didn't send me an email to let me know anything about why I might need to check my payment dates and make changes. They just changed it. So, of course now I am hit with nasty overdraft fees because they paid my bills out of my account on Thursday but of course my payday didn't change, I still got paid on Friday.

This is theft, and I told them so.

I am done with BB&T. They will flat ruin you. They don't credit your deposits until after they pull your debits, so this is another way they get rich off of responsible, hardworking people who think that once they make their deposit that they should have access to their money (in this day and age, when they can make automatic deductions the second you write a check, there is no excuse for there not to be). It's just wrong.
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Mar, 2007 by   Frank Smith 0 Votes
To BB&T Bank: Your agent Mark Wenick came to my place of employment and messed up my 401-K. The way I see it is your bank made a profit and I lost money in my 401-K. I called Federated Funds and Federated Funds told me that my 401-K was not in Federated Funds. BB&T you messed up my retirement. BB&T Bank should put Mark Wenick in line X. My retirement plan should work for me not BB&T Bank. Who stole my 401-K? Your Bank made money and I lost.
 16th of May, 2007 by   Mary Katherine Hunt 0 Votes
BBT is the worst bank out there people have got to start leaving this bank they live on all of the fees they are charging you. I agree also the online banking is horrible you do not see any payments for days and site is down a lot. Horrible bank... just left them
 2nd of Jun, 2007 by   Dan Coble 0 Votes
I posted a complaint earlier, and it has been brought to my attention that 6 identical complaints warrants a Class-Action Lawsuit...

Anyone in?

email me at: gf_ww@yahoo.com

Dan Coble.
 4th of Jun, 2007 by   Larry Curtis 0 Votes
BBT has stold money from me I told them if it was not a check do not pay it, for some reason they are still paying charges that are made on line and I am sick and tired of this and they will not give me a number to call upper management.
 31st of Jul, 2007 by   L Bailey 0 Votes
I have been trying to get someone on the phone at BB&T all day. I have a question about some mysterious charge that is on my husbands credit card bill each month. It's something charged by BB& T, but I can't find any information on the website. I sat on hold one time for 15 solid minutes. I am now on my fourth attempt at calling them. This is just ridiculous. I have never had this much trouble getting anyone on the phone.
 8th of Aug, 2007 by   Frank Smith 0 Votes
BB&T will not tell me what happened to my missing 401-K. Now thats a Bank that you could depend on?
 17th of Aug, 2007 by   Richard Rally 0 Votes
Branch manager Rude... unwilling to work with me over a $70.00 returned ATM charges.

I have in hand a written balance at that time (Aug 13 07) by the bank teller at the window. 2 charges posted at 12/o1 am (Monday) were returned for ISF. My balance more than covered those 2 debit charges! She was belligerent, insulting and accused me of committing fraud! She wasn't interested... and i have been with BB&T since the building was built (23 years)! Originally was Farmers and Merchants.
 4th of Oct, 2007 by   Edy Whitehead 0 Votes
BB&T has drained me of almost an entire year of my disability payments through their "rob the patron" program of overdraft fees. They even charge overdraft fees on their overdraft fees! In one week I have had over $400 of fees levied on my account. This system is like a whirlpool, as hard I as try, just when I think I'm getting out, they suck me back down and I'm drowning in overdraft fees. HELP!!
 4th of Oct, 2007 by   Shawna Roberts 0 Votes
B B & T are certainly crooked. My husband's account was closed today (not to mention its pay day) without any explanation. He was told they would be deducting whatever fees or what was negative in his account and they will MAIL him the remainder of his money. He is not allowed to go to a branch to get his money. Bills are due, we have no grocery, we have two kids, and I'm not able to work. My husband calmly explained his situation to at least 3 representatives and they could only offer him a "bed-side manner sorry".
I think this was so unfair and it could have been handled different. B B &T has no compassion for people. Their customer service is horrible. I'm going to make sure I tell everyone I know not to deal with B B & T.
 12th of Oct, 2007 by   Tanya Kachirski 0 Votes
I am also experiencing problems with BB&T robbing me of my money. Their online bill payment service is terrible! I set up a payment to be deducted from my account on a Friday. Instead, they charge me overdraft fees for that payment 2 days before it was supposed to be withdrawn from my account. Because of that payment, every other online payment that followed that one was charged an overdraft fee. On top of that, I was charged an additional $30, just for being overdrawn on the account, due to all of their fees! That should be illegal! I will NEVER bank with BB&T ever again!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK!
 23rd of Oct, 2007 by   Railyn D 0 Votes
I have been with BB&T for about 4 years and I have experienced problems the entire time. Just recently it seemed to get worst. Every week on payday I encounter these so called Fees. They are severely robbing my account and taking full advantage of any opportunity to take money from me. In a months times they will take about $500.00 from me. I so thought I really was doing something wrong and blamed myself. After doing some homework and researching other issues people are having with this same bank I then decided to pay close attention to my account to the very penny. I still encountered the fees. I then called the bank to find out exactly what was going on with my account. My situation would go something like this.. On Wednesday I might have $350.00 in the morning and my account will be debited for $220.00 for my car insurance and $50.00 for gas along with another $75.00 for my kids trips at school or something, but keep in mind the account is not debited until that evening at midnight or the next day, but my payroll check has already hit the account at the same time. The relationship banker stated that I might can see my check, but it's not available. My question to her was if it's not available how come I can access it from the ATM machine that same day... She claims the money that I am taking out of the ATM is a credit they give me. So if you can give me credit why can't you pay my account debits with the credit (that I so easily access from the ATM). She was unable to give me a legitimate answer. Then I knew at that time their practice is not going to work for me. I have never experienced anything like this before. If your money goes into your account before 2pm your suppose to be able to access it right away that very same day. So why don't they cover my bills that clearly come through the same time the direct deposits come through... I am filing a complaint. This can't be ethical...
 16th of Nov, 2007 by   Gary Reidenbach 0 Votes
Yes the have nearly ruined me too.The same way A suit is in order.
 23rd of Nov, 2007 by   April Ippolito 0 Votes
I was googling to see if there were any other cases against BBT and here they are. I am on my way to the branch today with everything in line. Since May this year there have been estimated 1500 dollars in fees. A few I negotiated to be returned. Some of which I can admit my mistakes in my register. But their philosphy of taking transactions that have not posted out of your balance and then charging you fees - is insane - my error was an addition error where I expected 3 at the most fees I was hit with 4 two days in a row - on a single income family how can you recover from losing 500 a month in fees? Each week I pray that we can get caught up and BAM another fee - It is the holiday season and we don't have money for food and barely can scrape through the week. Another glitch that I have come across is our direct deposit actually comes to the bank on Tues or WED - posting on Friday - but they do not apply it to the balance so how can they take off for transactions that have not posted to my acct and they have not paid for.
I will be closing my acct and I am willing to enter into a suit. This should be against the law to take so much money from customers - and that is what we are we ARE THEIR CUSTOMERS - I don't feel their way of banking is the right way to do business.
 26th of Nov, 2007 by   April Ippolito 0 Votes
I went to BBT and the manager was all smiles as I closed my account. I tried to explain to her the way they are doing business is stealing. She just kept telling me that when you swipe your card we take it out of your account. Which DUH I understand that - but explain to me how I might have been short for ONE transaction yet I ended up with FOUR bank fees??? She couldn't. I than asked her why my Direct Deposit wasn't getting posted first - and I was getting a transaction and fee on the same day my deposit went it she told me it is because the transaction tried to go in the night before. The issue is that BBT cannot charge more than 4 banks fees per day - so my transactions were held - to insure they could get their money. My mistake that should have cosed us the most of $105 - as ended up costing me over $900 dollars in the past few months.

When asked why my direct deposit that shows up Tuesday but yet doesn't post till Friday - doesn't get added in anywhere till Saturday she had no explanation. To me that is a transaction just like any other and it gets treated differently. I am at a lost for words now - angry, mistreated - I thought I was a customer to a bank that had my best interests - BRANCH BANKING and TRUST??? Trust that I will end up more broke than I started!
 5th of Dec, 2007 by   Gary Reidenbach 0 Votes
BBT bank is robbing me blind.Dirty SOBs
 9th of Dec, 2007 by   em27blacktop 0 Votes
I am a college-age student who goes down to Ocean City, md, has a good time, and comes back to college reality every year. This past summer, I banked with BBT. When I moved back home, I used the phone-banking to check my statement. With 10.01 left according to the statement, I made 4 small charges adding up to 9.80, and called to close the account. Imagine how surprised I was to find out that my account was nearly 200 dollars in the hole! and that I had 3 days to pay it or an addition 30 dollar fine would be enacted. This was a Friday, how the HELL would I magically get them a check by Monday morning?! BBT is a joke, they rob people, straight up rob them, why haven't people gotten together and sued these bastards??? We are the reason they exist, no reason why we cant help shut them down.

Oh, and the ***** on the other end of the phone told me to "grow up and learn how to manage my finances on paper" ... real mature... then she told me 72 hours or more fees and hung up.
 9th of Jan, 2008 by   Patricia Baldwin 0 Votes
Wow, how many of us are out there? I am also a victim of BB&T's CREATIVE banking. I got charged $105 while my account was still in the positive. They told me I swiped my card which then caused the balance to go $20 negative. The $105 in charges came out a full day before my account went negative. Figure that out. I would have been glad to go and put cash in but she told me they would not refund me the $105 so I stopped my direct deposit and will be going somewhere else. A smaller bank! If there are any left.

I have printouts and voicemails from the bank telling me that it was the one swipe that affected my account, when I challenged it they then left another voicemail saying oh it was 6 charges that were actually the day before. Well guess what the charges she was talking about were NOT the day before. I have saved all the voice mails and printouts, receipts etc. showing how my accounts keeps dwindling from their fees.

In summary what they did was held charges throughout the weekend until i accidentially dipped below and they put the charges through in an order where they got 3 fees instead of just the ONE which is what should have happened.

I am all for a lawsuit. With this many compalints something has to be done about this.
 22nd of Jan, 2008 by   Jennifer 0 Votes
My husband and I will be closing our account with BB&T tomorrow. I am sick and tired them charging overdraft fees for charges that haven't even posted yet. My deposits go through at midnight, and more than cover the charges, but we still get the fines.

The real kicker is that they don't care. That is how they do banking. We have been with them for over 2 years, and haven't gotten a straight answer about overdraft fees out of them yet. We're going to NBSC. They do not charge overdraft fees until they hard post to the account, and, here's the AWESOME part: your deposits are credited BEFORE your debits are taken out.

NBSC will be a banking dream for us.

I never thought I would EVER say this: I dislike BB&T MORE than I dislike Bank of America!
 24th of Jan, 2008 by   CHARLES GRAY 0 Votes
I'VE BEEN WITH BB&T FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS, I PAY THEM AT LEAST $1000.00 A YEAR IN OVERDRAFT FEES! THIS IS DUE TO THE LACK OF INFORMATION BB&T'S WEBSITE HAS TO OFFER & THE NATURE THEY PORTRAY IT IN. BB&T HAS CURRENT BALANCE & AVAILABLE BALANCE EVEN THOUGH YOUR AVAILABLE BALANCE GOES DOWN THE INSTANT YOU USE YOUR CARD ,THE CHARGE WILL NOT SHOW UP FOR THREE BUSINESS DAYS.ITS FUNNY HOW THEY CAN SEE THE PENDING CHARGE THAT DAY ALTHOUGH YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO SEE IT. BEFORE YOU KNOW IT (KAPOWEE) YOUR IN THE HOLE WITH THEM FOR $35 UP! IT ALL DEPENDS WHAT THEY FEEL LIKE WITHHOLDING FROM YOUR EYES TO SEE & AFTER ALL YOUR FUNDS ARE DEPLETED YOU GET A SERVICE CHARGE $5-25 WHO KNOWS MINE DIFFERS EACH MONTH, THAT LEADS YOU INTO ONE MORE $35 OVERDRAFT FEE THEY CHARGE. THEY CHARGE THAT FEE AS SOON AS YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH IN THE BANK TO COVER IT. BB&T HAS GOT ENOUGH $ OUT OF JR. I'LL BE UP THERE TOMORROW TO CLOSE THE ACCOUNT! BB&T IS A FRAUDULENT BANK SAVE YOURSELF NOW BEFORE YOUR SAYING WHAT I HAVE TYPED!!!
 30th of Jan, 2008 by   denise ann cook 0 Votes
MY HUSBAND AND I USED TO USE COASTAL FEDERAL. WE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM. THEN BB&T BOUGHT OUT COASTAL FEDERAL, AND ALL OF THE SUDDENWE HAD BOUNCED CHECKS, OVERDRAFT FEES AND STUFF JUST WASN"T ADDING UP. I CALLED AND COMPLAINED ABOUT IT, TOLD THEM I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WHEN OUR ACCT. WAS WITH COASTAL, HER REPLY TO THAT WAS " MAYBE OUR SERVICE IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN YOU"RE USED TO." THATS FOR SURE!!!!!! I"M NOT USED TO PEOPLE TAKING OUR HARD EARNED MONEY!!!!!!! WE ARE SWITCHING ALSO! THERES NO WAY WHAT THEY"RE DOING IS LEGAL!!!

New Housing Program Targets Fraud?

Latest Groups