logo

NFL
Extremely unreasonable NFL consumer charges
2. (33 mins ago)
Boss Revolution
CC stored on their system and recharging w/customer authorization
3. (33 mins ago)
muckbootsusa.com
Impossible to reach the seller and get refund
4. (34 mins ago)
MISLEADING AND LIES - I KNOW BECAUSE I WORKED THERE

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Asset Acceptance Complaints & Reviews - AALLC is a debit scam!

Asset Acceptance Contacts & Informations

Asset Acceptance

Posted:    Valerie

AALLC is a debit scam!

Long story short, AALLC has sent me a few letters trying to collect on an old debt I had with Nexcard for around $700.00. It was charged off in 07/2000 and bought at some point by AALLC, i do not know when. SOL in Maryland is 3 years as far as i can tell, and AALLC has been re-aging this debt several times to make it appear that this is much newer debt, which it is not.

I sent them a request for debt validation letter and what i got back was a print out from AALLC stating my name and last 4 of my SSN and current address, original nexcard account number, new AALLC account number, original amount owed and accrued interest equaling over 1600 bucks.

Does the above constitute true validation (I don’t think it does, and am prepared to send them yet another differently worded validation request with examples of what i want) and what can be done to prove to the credit bureau's to prove that this is out of the SOL and is re-aged debt, because they keep saying it is legit debt and keep reporting it.
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Nov, 2007 by   Michelle Lieberstein 0 Votes
I to had problems with aacllc however with lots of foot work I was able to have the final judgment and garnishment stopped and Vacated by the Court system. Now getting my Money back is a very slow process.

I think we should get the Florida Attorney General to file an investigation and a Class Action suit. If we get together we can make that happen
 23rd of Dec, 2007 by   Lorace whitman 0 Votes
You need to communicate to them in writing, and send all correspondence by certified letter. I requested evidence of validity. On both occassions they sent none, and suggested I needed to go the the police and prove I had been a victim of ID theft. I never held a card with bofa. I called bofa. I then wrote a leeter back to asset, informed them that the police suspected that they were commiting fraud, and also provided the name, phone, and contact info of the bof a contact. I informed them, that unless they provided the evidence requested, they were accessories to, or perpetrating a fraud, and I would report them. i have not heard from them since. Be careful were you sign up for online offers, I know this may seem odd, but I would swear the major credit reporting agencies sell your info to these criminals. Becasue everytime I sign up for a monitoring service I get contacted by one of these sketchy firms.
 4th of May, 2008 by   Jeff 0 Votes
Not just Florida, but all states. The US Attorney Generals office needs to get involved.
 4th of May, 2008 by   Elle 0 Votes
I agree with all of you. I had a problem with them and I sent letters to AG in my state, and my local politicians. I all lost my ID, at the time my mother made me go down to the police dept. and file a report. Maybe the police report scared AAC LC off. Also contact the Department of Consumer Affairs. After 6 months in court I finally beat those.

I started a petition against Asset Acceptance. Please take a second to sign it.

8th of Jul, 2008 by   Joy Moniz 0 Votes
where do you begin if you think you are a victum of this fraud? I received a call today from a collection agency " The Moore Law Group" who acquired "Bidna&Keys' this July. Apparently I had a final judgment on an account charged off owing Asset Acceptance LLC.

The agent threaten to garnish my wages if I didn't pay today.
 26th of Sep, 2008 by   barbara 0 Votes
No debt collector can garnish your wages nor can they petition the state to revoke your drivers license UNLESS they take you to court first and sue you AND WIN. Making statements like that are a violation of the FDCPA and a debt collector can be sued for that. If you are ever sued over a debt, please, show up. Nine times out of then the collector WON'T. Also, these scummy collectors have to provide proof at the hearing that this is indeed, your debt. Otherwise, you win and they don't get a judgement against you. Asset Acceptance is a bunch of bottom feeders. An account printout from their records is not validation of your debt. They dont have it.
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   Kevin 0 Votes
Hi, I am currently dealing with the Moore Law Group and Asset Acceptance.
I asked for debt verification, and they gave me a credit card statement and a signed paper from the original credit card company.
I wrote back asking for something that stated they actually owned the debt and for a complete payment history so they can prove its not past the statute of limitations (california is 4 years).
They wrote back saying they did not have to give me anything else because what they gave me constitutes validation.
I wrote back again asking for those items and they sued me.
The thing is, I was never served. In fact I never received anything even in the mail until it was too late and they got the default judgement.
I went to the court and got the papers and the process server put in a due diligence stating he left papers with a person that does not fit a description of anyone in the house... And he also stated that he mailed the paperwork to the address... which I never received.

So now I am in process of filing papers to get the judgement vacated. If I win then I will have to file against the process server. This has gotten to be a big pain, but I guess a learning experience...
 26th of Jan, 2009 by   Jacey 0 Votes
Help,
I received a couple notices from Asset Acceptance LLC claiming I owe them 1950. They never responded to my inquisitions of what account they were attemtping to collect for. So Now i received a Civil hearing notice that i have to attend. I phoned the attorney who represents them as long as I pay before the hearing they will not get a judgement against me. The hearing is in two weeks. Now what do I do, I cannot come up with that money before the hearing.
 3rd of May, 2009 by   ??? 0 Votes
Asset does not "re-age" or keep an account on your credit any longer than the law allows, which for most collection accounts is 7 years, 7 years from the date of last activity or date of last paymnet. When they purchase the account it may appear on the bureau as a much newer open date but that is the date they obtained the account or became the legal owners . If it is supposed to fall off 6 months after they purchased it then it will, if it is 5 years then it will be 5 years.

Lots of people get statue of limitations mixed up. the are 2 different SOL, one statute has to do with the amount of time the account can be reported to your credit, the other statute has to do with the amount of time the company may have to seek litigation on the past due debt, each state has different guidleline when it comes to how long you can be sued, but 7 years is a standard for how long it can be on your credit. People think sometimes that since the statute for a lawsuit has run out that the company no longer has a right to report it to the credit, but the do.
 21st of Oct, 2009 by   selfobscurity 0 Votes
I work for Asset Acceptance.

Everyone has a wrong aspect of this company. There are a few things everyone should know about "unpaid bills".

1) They do not go away. Just because they are past stat for your state and off your credit report, don't mean the responsibility to pay them dissapears.

2) With that being said, we call customers who have had accounts opened and stopped paying in 1988. It's a sense of responsibility.

3) Interest incurred on the account is interest that was indicated on the original agreement and terms. If you stop paying your bill, interet begins to add to it. Asset Acceptance will purchase debt from places like Chase or Wells Fargo 2-5 years after the last payment. What the original creditor does before we get the debt is out of our control, but they charge interest monthly. Then we get the account. Most accounts come with bad addresses, bad phone numbers, and we have to find this information. Some accounts, we find it in a few months and are able to contact the customer. Some, it takes over a year to get a reliable location on the consumer. My only comment on interet is, if you kept up on unpaid bills, it wouldn't be a surprise.

4) Slamming the phone on us, yelling at us, cussing us out and lieing to us by saying it isnt yours doesn't make it better. Asset Acceptance is a publicly traded company, with an A+ rating on the BBB, as well as is on the stock market. We treat each customer in our system with the respect they deserve. We do not assume because your in our system, your a low life, but everyone hangs up on us and no one gives us a chance to speak. Consider listening to a debt collector next time they call you. Sure, we're trying to get you to pay, but listen good, because we're trying to asses your current situation and help you get the account resolved.

5) DO NOT GET DEBT COUNSELORS OR DEBT CONSOLIDATION LOANS WITH THESE COMPANIES ON TV!!! You pay these people to call us up and say "The balance is $1, 000? I can pay $400 now to close the account". YOU CAN DO THIS! You can settle your account, you don't need a third-party!!
 2nd of Nov, 2009 by   NMOHIO -1 Votes
Sent them a certified letter to stop calling about 2 weeks ago.

They have an account with Verizon... one problem, I never signed any contract with Verizon.
I did have a phone, but apparently someone who worked for Verizon did something to which I had 2 phones in my name. Gave the other phone to someone else. I was not present when this happen. Someone forged my name.
I did however get one phone. And told AACC what happened. They said to make it "fair", I could pay off 1 phone. I agreed. I paid 2 payments of $250, one of which was late. I called and left a message about the late payment.

They told me I never called to say the payment was going to be late. Therefore, they claimed I owed ANOTHER $500.
Don't be fooled. They buy these debts for pennies on the dollar. So they initial $500 I sent them paid off my debt 2x-3x over.
They like to lay these guilt trips on people. They never listen to what you say. They keep calling and acting like what you're telling them is something new. It gets old and frustrating.

If they want to sue me for $500. so be it. They don't have the supposed contract that I never signed.

Some of the collectors are rude, some are nice, but damn, just dealing with them when I never signed ANY contract with Verizon is pointless. I don't answer their calls.

I plan on only corresponding with them via. certified mail. That way, we BOTH have a record of what's going on.
Make sure you always keep a copy of the letters you send them.
 8th of Nov, 2009 by   littlejohnny 0 Votes
I have problems with Asset Acceptance too. But I'm not too angry, I know in my heart, that if there is a God. Every single person, who has ever worked for Asset Acceptance is going straight to hell, to be butt raped by satan for all of eternity. And knowing this to be true gives me a nice warm feeling inside.
 13th of Nov, 2009 by   responsibleamerican 0 Votes
Every one of you losers stand up and take responsibility for the money/goods you stole from the rest of america and the government. Quit spending money you don't have on junk, you probably don't have anymore. I am sick and tired of losers trying to blame soneone else for trying to collect money they spent and never repayed the debt. This country is crippled by useless unresponsible jerks like you that continue to think someone owes you something, when in fact it is YOU that owes the debt.

GROW UP AND PAY YOUR BILLS!
 13th of Nov, 2009 by   fargzbablle 0 Votes
Asset Acceptance won't stop calling me about someone I don't know. I'm sure selfobscurity would love me to "take responsibility" for someone else's debt, but I'll let you send me to prison before I pay something I don't owe.
 1st of Dec, 2009 by   fraudulentbill 0 Votes
I also have been getting bills from Asset Acceptance. A bill that I did not incur. From a company that no longer exists. My Credit card company told me that these companies go after people with a similiar name. My credit card company told me that they go after the wrong person and they don't care. They want the money even if it's from the wrong person. I will go to jail before I pay a bill that is not mine. I will not pay a bill that is fraudulent from Asset Acceptance.

Years ago, when I first got a fake bill from Asset Acceptance, I changed my phone number because they would not stop calling. Not even after I called the police. Now they got a hold of my new phone number. I suspect that the credit reporting agencies gave it to them.

Asset Acceptance insist that a bill that was incurred in a city and residence I have never resided at is mine.

Federal Trade Commission and District Attorney, the Attorney General from all over the USA will eventually catch up with this fraudulant company. Sooner or later, the government will find a way to get them. They will get penalized in the millions of dollars. And they will get their business license revoked.

Everyone needs to complain to every government agency. The more complains they get the better. Write to your cogressmen and your senators also. The government will change the laws in order to find crimminal evidence against Asset Acceptance.

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF AN IMMEDIATE WAY TO GET THIS FRAUDULANT COLLECTION AGENCY OFF MY BACK AND STOP HARASSING AND STALKING ME. PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I hope that the employees for Asset Acceptance also get punished by the law for accessories to a crime.

Thank you.
 19th of Jan, 2010 by   helpmehelpyou 0 Votes
I'm sorry but I feel like I need to comment because there are too many of you on here that unfortunately are misinformed. And selfobscurity is right, you all just need to pay attention and you can get this taken care of much easier than you think. I feel like I need to re-iterate some of what they said..

You claim that they keep calling you for someone that you don't know.. Instead of constantly deleting the voicemails that are left and hanging up on them when they call which only aggravates you and they are oblivious to - pick up! Let them know they are dialing the wrong number! It's a waste of time to call the wrong number each week leaving message after message or constantly getting hung up on. When you do that they don't know the number they are calling is wrong. If they know the debtor doesn't live there, they won't keep calling - there's no money there! Plus, if you inform them that it is the wrong number, and it in fact is - they CANNOT continue to call you. The FDCPA states that. Plus, you are on recording stating that the number isn't yours. But telling them it is the wrong number when the number they called is registered in your name and you are the person they are looking for - it won't do anything. They know you are lieing and now you've only wasted your time and they will have every right to call back.

To those of you saying you are getting letters for accounts you never opened - prove it! You can verify the last 4 digits of your social, and if you're worried about giving that out rest assured if it matches, they can read the whole 9 digits to you so you know they're not trying to get your information. If your social matches the one in the system and you never opened the account or lived at said address you are dealing w/ fraud. And not by the collection agency. Your identity has been stolen and you need to file a police report. Once you provide said documentation to the company they can get it resolved and off your credit report. But claiming fraud when an account was open for 5+ years w/ payments being made on it for that whole time and the address on original account is your address... Good luck. When somebody steals another person's identity they aren't going to make payments.

And original contracts? Sorry, but companies such as Asset Acceptance are third party collections and the original creditor(Chase, Visa, Verizon, etc) doesn't need to provide them with much information on the account. It is up to the original creditor what information they receive. And when they don't provide the company w/ up to date information(address, phone number) it can take some time to finally locate the debtor. That is no fault of Asset, or any other collection company.

As for interest, like the person above said - if you had a contract w/ a 18% interest rate in initial agreement, that follows to the collection process, and that balance will continue to grow until that debt is paid.

Finally - if you have a debt w/ one of these companies know your options. If you cannot pay the balance in full, ask them to break it up into multiple payments. They have the freedom that the original lender didn't - they can do that w/ no penalty to you! They want to work out a plan to help you. Ask about doing a monthly payment plan. You can have it directly withdrawn from your bank account each month/week/biweekly on whatever date you choose. Or if you are in the position to pay a large amount but not quite the whole balance, ask about settling.. If you can pay a lumpsum in a secure(Check, Western Union, Moneygram) method, ask what they are willing to settle the account for or let them know what you are willing to pay.

Believe it or not they are there to help you w/ the debt, not bully you. And you have rights and options, you just may not have known it...
 21st of Jan, 2010 by   Rob Bell 0 Votes
Dear selfobscurity,
Tell Brian Andrews to stop robocalling my house seeking one Mackie Bowers. This person is obviously using other people's phone numbers, like mine. I don't know this person. I have asked Brian to cease and desist or be accused of harassment. So far, he has not complied. I recieve a message from your "company" at least once a week for this Mackie Bowers. Pass it along... I coming after you guys now.

Signed,
Not Mackie Bowers
 27th of Jan, 2010 by   Asset Acceptance Victim 0 Votes
I would like to get with other victims of Asset Acceptance Asset and sue them!

Here is my story: it is 2010 and Asset Acceptance LLC has just stolen $5000 from my bank account. They claim it is from an old $900. visa from 1995. They severed someone with my last name in an other state. That person discarded the summons and Asset Acceptance automatically got a default judgment against me. They then used a Domestic Interstate Transference to transfer the judgment to the state of my residence and take the money plus 15years worth of interest from my account. They are cowards and crooks and they purposely sneak cases through courts without giving you the chance to fight it. Asset Acceptance knows that the only way to win is by default. You often need a lawyer to fight them which is so costly that most people just "give in to them".

I have learned that they constantly troll these blogs because they DO NOT want us to know about each other and they especially do not want us talking to one another. If you see any comments that support their tactics I can guarantee you it is just one of there "employee scumbag plants"

Organizing together is the key (just "Google" their name and you can see that they MUST be stopped)

I have no legal expertise I am just a another victim who is determined to stop them...I have created an email address just for this fight so feel free to write me at standup2scum@aol.com

Victims and Lawyers interested in representing a Class Action case against Asset Acceptance are always welcome to email me.
Sincerely Victim X.
 4th of Feb, 2010 by   Responsibilityiskey00 0 Votes
This is all just laughable that you all are so immature about your responsibilities. I understand the interest part and the wrong numbers and so on... if you are a victim of identity theft then why would you hang up or get frustrated... if it was me, I would send in the proof. All it takes is a police report or an affidavit of fraud to have it removed from your credit. The comment earlier said that the police report must've scared off AACC but the fact is, it didn't scare them off, that is all you needed to do if it was fraud. They are requried by law to them remove any bad marks off your credit and close the account.

Stop being children and take care of your responsibilities. If you cannot pay something because of the economy and you don't have a job, most reps there will be MORE than willing to help you. If you don't mke any commitment to pay your bill, interest will accrue and you are the ONLY one to blame. So, suck it up and deal with it!
 3rd of Mar, 2010 by   shaftmastr 0 Votes
The funny thing about reading this discussion thread is exactly how mis-informed everyone is about the collection laws. READ THE LAWS! There are infinite federal laws as well as state laws that govern the debt collection industry. Pay special attention if you live in a no consent call recording state. There are only 6-7 states that require 2-party consent when it comes to recording telephone calls.

The thing I hate the most is people who misquote the collection laws and try to pervert them for their own specific situation. In most states the statute of limitation is less than the time a company is allowed to report to the credit bureaus. As a matter of fact, there are certain states which require a debt to be extinguished when the statute of limitations expires. Again, know the laws and you will be fine.

Be very careful about who you listen to on these discussion boards. Many times debt purchasers or collection agencies will "seed" these sites with posts by employees that are intended to misdirect the consumer to think more about the ethics involved with nonpayment of a debt. The bottom line is read the FDCPA, FCRA, and TCPA and know it! Also, know your specific state and local laws especially if you live in NC, WI, MS, CO, or in New York City. You may be surprised at the laws that are out there.

Also...NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER settle a debt with a collection agency or debt purchaser without receiving a letter from the company committing to the settlement terms. Make sure those terms include the fact you will receive a paid/settled in full letter once the payment has been made. Also, if you are in a recording state, get the collector to commit to 2 very important terms; first, that the forgiven amount (the amount left after you settle) will NOT result in a 1099C being issued, and second, that you negotiate to delete your trade line from the credit bureaus if you pay/settle the account. you may not get them to agree but remember this, these companies WILL do this if you dig your heels in and demand it. It may take some pushing on your part but eventually it will work.

Tips for Spring and Early Summer Getaways