logo

Posted:    Melissa

Terrible experience

Aqua Finance
aquafinance.com
3 years ago, we purchased a water softener system and receiving financing through Aqua Finance. Approximately 2 years ago, we defaulted on our contract and were sued. Judgment was entered against us 1.5 years ago.

From the month that judgment was entered against us, we submitted to Aqua Finance a repayment plan, to which they never responded. We immediately began making payments under our proposed payment plan, exceeding our original payment plan, and to date have not missed or been late on one payment since initiating the repayment plan.

Today I was contacted by an attorney's office representing Aqua Finance stating that they had a judgment and wanted to make payment arrangements. I explained to the attorney's office that I was making payments to Aqua Finance and he stated that he does not have any record of payment for 1.5 years (since the judgment). Clearly I have proof through my canceled checks that payment has been received, and I've also received confirmation directly from Aqua Finance in the form of letters stating they've received my monthly payments.

I suggested to the attorney's office that he contact his client for proof of my payment history and he told me it was my burden to prove I've been paying. I explained that my obligation under the judgment is to repay Aqua Finance and that is where my obligation ends. He said he would initiate garnishment proceedings since I'm not paying. I reiterated that I am paying and have been paying and he told me that I need to provide him proof. We went back and forth for some time until he became very belligerent and eventually hung up on me.

I immediately called Aqua Finance and spoke to a representative. The representative told me that she cannot discuss my account with me and that I would need to speak to their attorney. I explained that I have tried to but that he refuses to contact you and that you need to provide proof that I'm paying. I requested a full accounting of my history and she stated she would mail it to me. I asked her to provide to me the name and address of the attorney and she said she did not have that information available to her. When the attorney's office contacted me, they had blocked their number.

My frustration with Aqua Finance is their obvious complete disorganization with collection accounts and their practice of contracting with attorneys and agencies who resort to bully tactics in an attempt to collect on their accounts. While I'm an exception (as I am paying on my account per the judgment), how many others are out there experiencing this clear violation of their rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act? I fully intend to file complaints with the Consumer Protection Division of the district attorney's office against both Aqua Finance and the attorney representing them as well as with the Kansas Bar Association.

My advice - stay away from Aqua Finance. They're unscrupulous and have extremely poor business standards. Perhaps we'll soon see them on Capitol Hill asking for a bail out.
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Aqua Finance complaints
Aqua Finance - changing of contract

Comments

12th of Dec, 2008 by   Ann 0 Votes

I suggested to the attorney's office that he contact his client for proof of my payment history and he told me it was my burden to prove I've been paying. I explained that my obligation under the judgment is to repay Aqua Finance and that is where my obligation ends. He said he would initiate garnishment proceedings since i'm not paying. I reiterated that I am paying and have been paying and he told me that I need to provide him proof. We went back and forth for some time until he became very belligerent and eventually hung up on me.

23rd of Dec, 2008 by   MrChorizo 0 Votes
Unfortunately we are going through the same issue, i have found another website where someone else had issues and the "Vice President" of the company actually responded. A warning though he does not sound very helpful.

/URL removed/
 6th of Feb, 2009 by   Diane 0 Votes
I had no idea others had bad experiences with them as well. If I am 3 days late with my payment they begin calling. Usually 3 times a day a different person will call and act like they didn't know someone else had called. They insist to know when I mailed the payment, what is the amount and check number. If I haven't sent it they insist I pay over the phone for an extra charge. They lack good customer service skills. I blame the company policies not the employees themselves.
 9th of Feb, 2009 by   Water Treatment 0 Votes
Feb 9, 2009

I work for a dealer of water treatment products and we used to use Aqua finance. Aqua Finance is about to go out of business. They owe my boss over 25000 dollars for contracts that we have submitted to them. They are collecting from our customers and are refusing to pay us. They stated to us that they will pay us when they can. They are estimating that they will be paying us sometime at the end of 2009. We are in the process of suing them. I encourage everyone who does business with them to report them to their respective State Attorney General's Offices. They are rude to our customers and they won't even pay their bills. Good luck to everyone out there. I encourage everyone to fill up Aqua Finance's phone lines with complaints.
800-234-3663
 28th of Feb, 2009 by   angry client 0 Votes
I was making my payments and then I get a letter telling me they sold my account to MBC and that I will be making payments to them. Today I get a call from Aqua Finance asking me where their payment is. I refuse to give any more money to anyone. SO who has my account? Aqua Finance or MBC? As far as I'm concerned, it's all bad.
 11th of May, 2009 by   Not Trusting 0 Votes
After 3yrs., I was contacted by this attorney who I had an agree amount toand thought this manner was settled. Can't beleive how they work... AFTER 3YRS... I FEEL I'M BEING TAKING ADVANAGE OF...
 24th of Jul, 2009 by   SOLE 0 Votes
Good to know these complaints as I am sure I will be in the same boat very soon.

Client
 24th of Jul, 2009 by   SOLE 0 Votes
Thank you for the information. I am sure I will be in the same boat shortly.
 16th of Jan, 2010 by   the truth is that 0 Votes
WELL, NOBODY WHO DEFAULTS ON ONE´S PAYMENTS WILL HAVE GOOD EXPERIENCES, THAT IS WHAT DUE DATES ARE FOR. YOU DEFAUL, EXPECT AQUA FINANCE TAKES ALL LEGAL ACTIONS TO GET PAID BACK

AND REMEMBER, YOU WILL NOT HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE WITH AQUA FINANCE IF YOU ARE A BAD CUSTOMER. DO NOT BLAME IT ONT HE COMPANY, BLAME IT ON YOU BEING LATE.

GET GOOD CREDIT SCORES, PAY YOUR BILLS ON TIME, DO NOT LIVE BEYOND YOUR BUDGETS, DO NOT BUY WATER SYSTEMS IF YOU JUST ARE UNABLE FINANCIALLY TO REPAY A LOAN, READ YOUR CONTRACTS BEFORE SINGNING THEM OFF.

AND WE ARE ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP YOU
REMEMBER 1-800-234-3663 AQUA FINANCE INC... VERY PROUD OF THAT COMPANY

GOD BLESS AQUA FINANCE AND GOD BLESS OUR GOOD CUSTOMERS WHO DO NOT MISS ONE DAY AFTER THEY ARE DUE, AND ALSO GOD BLESS OUR CUSTOMERS WITH TERRIBLE CREDIT.
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   1luvlylady 0 Votes
"truth the truth is that " obviously works for Aqua Finance and it appears if the majority rules in this forum! For the record I HATE AQUA FINANCE and I truly hope they go out of business sooner than later!
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   karen serrano 0 Votes
I agree with the complaints above, Aqua finance inc. falsified information on my credit application
the made up a higher income and put my joint borrower, my mother on social security, as self employed,
the put in a wrong birthday on the application along with their other false info.
I fell behind on payments after 3 Years And because of them trying to sue me I was able to see this application the submitted with out my knowledge.
 19th of May, 2010 by   K.M. in TN 0 Votes
If you are reading this to determine if you should take that deal from the sales person...DONT DO IT... Of course by now you probably have. Who would research it before hand? Normally I would have --- but there was no time.

I too was ripped off and lied to by the water softener system sales person. I did not want the system, but with pressure from the sales person and my boyfriend, I gave in. We were told we would pay $100 per month for 5 years. This would be about $800 more than the sale price of the system. Along with this we would get free product for 5 years (thankfully that has been working fine). We both recall reading the paperwork thoroughly and him writing down our agreed to price and finance terms.

I realized after about a year that the bill was not going down the way it should have with the payment -- which ended up being $106. I called Aqua Finance to find out what was going on. They went over my contract with me and Low and Behold...they had no information regarding what we agreed to with the sales person and both vividly remember him writing down. I went through all my paperwork and could not find one thing to support what we both recall. Needless to say I was TAKEN!!! With this payment and rate it would take 10 to 12 years to pay it off. NOT 5!!!

I was in a finical tight spot and asked about reducing my interest, like my other credit card companies were doing for me. The agreed that they could do this, however, it would be considered defaulting on the loan (even though I have never missed or been late with a payment) and it would show this way on my credit report. To top it off, they would then place a lien on my home in the amount of the loan to protect their interest.

Needless to say, I decided to just pay the $106 a month until I had some extra money to pay it off. Thankfully, that day has come and over 2 years into the mess I can pay it off. However, before I do that... I will be checking into the implications of paying it off early. I was told this would be fine...but I really don't trust them or the water softener company at this point.
 8th of Nov, 2010 by   Aquajoke 0 Votes
Aqua Finance is a crap company. I have had to have 2 surgeries in a short amount of time so I was unable to work, which means I was unable to pay my monthly payments to them. I have fallen behind and called them to work something out and instead I just got a letter in the mail stating they have now put a UCC fixture filing on my property. They should work with people instead of being jerks. I even offered to have them repossess the damn Rainsoft system from my house and they told me they do not do repossessions. They don't even want the crappy system they sold me since they must know it's JUNK. I have never worked with such a horrible company and I feel horrible for anyone else in the boat I'm in. DO NO DO BUSINESS with AQUA FINANCE!!!
 10th of Nov, 2010 by   C.J.4u 0 Votes
I too had run ins with Aqua finance. I paid on my bill for two years then the economy went down hill and my job was shipped off to Mexico. I had made payment arrangements to pay it off and my wife and I were two payments away from completing our obligation and again I was unemployed due to my work going to Mexico. We called them again and tried to make further arrangements to pay the debt off, which was only two more payments left and they told us that we had to start all over again from the initial amount due! Aqua finance is a bunch of blood suckers that will lie to you and bully you till you can't stand it any more. I did some investigating on the web and found out that they don't communicate with their lawyers and usually don't have any info about their own lawyers or the true status of your account other than the fact that the person who calls you feels that you owe them money. What ever happened to customer satisfaction? I mean come on this is a water system that is hooked up inside your home and who knows what the people have to drink when the system is not maintained? If I ever find a class action lawsuit against them I will surely be on that list!!!

As for the person that thinks he or she is slick by putting "the truth is that" Come on be realistic It is not all about making your payments on time! It is about respecting your customers and trying to get any payment you can! Quote this! "some payment is better than no payment!"

Think about it and take a long hard look at what is happening with the mortgage lending in our entire country! If you send payments back full payments or not, and harass your customers they stop paying all together and then you have to pay legal fees and pay for garnishes and for leins.then who really wins in the end when everybody goes through bankruptcy? NOBODY! Cuz there is no cash flow happening. AGAIN! "SOME PAYMENT IS BETTER THAN NO PAYMENT AT ALL!" Or your company just like the banks will be closing and have to claim bankruptcy too! Then again it probably would not be so bad if you had to suffer through all of this just like all of the people who had to take the time to post something here!!!
 4th of Dec, 2010 by   Tania Rotor 0 Votes
The lady that sold me this stupid thing not only changed jobs but tried to sell me life insurance. TO make things worse!! When it was time to service it she decided I had to pay for it when IN WRITING she said no charge for the 1st year.Called the finance company because they should know that the saleperson screwed us over & now the owner was not returning calls. Top it off I paid religiously for the 1st year without havng to this would take the finance charges...wrong instead of owing $1500 (approx) it went up to over $3500+.
so for 1 year i'm having major issues...so finally i got a hold of someone after reporting this to BBB...they did nothing...anyways apparently they all went out of business so some other guy that sells the same product had to come out. Had to pay them & he showed me how wrong it was installed...5 years later still freakn payn. but don't let me be 1day late because they call 3 times a day at my home, job & cell. Even my referrances got a call. Ok I'm Mexican full blood born...but these stupid women they have calling have NO respect or customer service. everyone at that finance company is terrible. DO NOT RECOMMEND TO NO ONE. I DID & NO I'M SO EMBARRESSED TO SHOW MY FACE. Stupid gifts I got from them...are just as bad
 7th of Dec, 2010 by   Jan Doe 0 Votes
I too feel like I have been ripped off. I have had my system for about 3yrs. The 1st yr not missing a payment. Going into to 2nd yr I was laid off . I talked to someone and we made payment arrangements and when my unemployment payments stop I was unable to cont. making payments at the rate I was paying. Then I was told because I had missed a payment that I had to get my plan refinanced. I am now into the 3rd yr and my acct. does not seems like I have paid anything on it I now believe that I may never finish paying this system off. I am ashamed to tell anyone about what I though was going to be good for me and my children is going to cost me an arm and leg. If there is someone that can help us start a class action law settlement PLEASE HELP US!

So Disappointed
New Orleans
 27th of Dec, 2010 by   aquafraud 0 Votes
Aqua Finance has got to be the most unscrupulous company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. About 4 years ago, on this unfortunate Saturday, a sales person from Rainsoft, the water softener system company came to our door and pressured my husband and I until we succumbed to buying a system from him. Even though I was skeptical and did not want to say yes to the system, but with intense pressure from this sales person (Ken at the Kennesaw, GA Rainsoft office) and my husband, I finally gave in. I wish I had researched this company before giving in. We were told we would only pay $90 per month for 5 years and the debt to Aqua Finance will be paid in full and we would only have paid $698 more than the sale price of the system, which did not seem too bad at the time. Nowhere in the course of his pressuring us did he tell us that this would be the worst revolving credit of our lives or that it was even a revolving credit agreement.

After about 11 months or so of making religious payments on the account, I realized that the bill was not going down the way it should. I decided to finally look at the bills that I was receiving and found out that only $12 was going towards the principal, the rest was categorized as finance charges. I got cold all over and called Aqua Finance to find out what was going on and they went over my contract with me and surprisingly on the contract was a little clause at the bottom - in very tiny print (about 3 pt font size) - saying that this was a form of revolving credit. I got really angry with the accounts specialist I was talking with saying things like this was not explained to us when we purchased the system because at this rate, it would take 12 to 15 years to pay off the $4, 560 and at the end of 15 years, we would have paid over $17, 000 for the same system. I even told him that with regular credit cards which also operate on a revolving basis, there's no way they would charge $75 finance charge for a $4, 500 credit limit, which I knew because I have a credit card with $5, 000 credit limit on it and I in no way pay $75 finance charge on it, and he told me that the interest rate was 29.9%, which only enraged me further because at the time that I purchase the system I had very good credit and I don't know why they would have charged me that rate to loan money from them.

Anyway, about a year ago, I received a notice from their attorney saying that I am being sued, I went ahead and presented my answer to their complaint to the court and didn't hear anything from either the court or their attorney, only to receive a final judgment order from same court last week giving Aqua Finance the right to garnish 25% of my wages to the tune of $6, 000. I have called some attorneys on my own so see what recourse might be available to me, but they all gave me the same bad news, I can't do anything about it, once the final judgment has been entered against me by default, especially in the state of GA.

I agree with everyone on this forum that Aqua finance is a jerk and is filled with a bunch of blood suckers that will lie to you and bully you till you can't stand it any more. I wish I had some money so that I can just pay them off. I don't know how they are getting away with these types of scams, you will think that will all these complaints the government would have stepped in or that the court would not be so quick in giving them default judgments. Well I guess if you can make it legal, then its not a scam but I know that their comeuppance is coming and the owners of Aqua Finance and Rainsoft will surely get what they deserve for ruining so many people's lives.

WORD TO THE WISE: The internet is there to protect the consumer and I think that Google is the best invention ever. Please RESEARCH any company or anybody you are thinking of doing business with or buying anything from. BUYERS BEWARE OF AQUA FINANCE and RAINSOFT!!!
 14th of Jan, 2011 by   No way not me 0 Votes
I completely agree with all of the complaints of the customers. I am researching aquafiance and their website, it says that they are a very good company. But everyone has a bad side and this company is not the exception. Although my big advise is to read anything before you sign no matter how much pressure some seller is putting on you.
I was offered a filter from a salesman from Aquakleen and all I said was no until I read everything thoroughly. He didn't want to leave any document for me to read and study over before I committed to anything which made me think things twice. I understand that sellers have hard jobs but it's not right to lie to people. Dealers have the most fault in all of this.
No one has a certain future and you never know when you'll find yourself without a job or sick and having to pay medical bills. If you're smart try and calculate yourself how much amount is being financed with the APR you're being charged. And try to get magnifying glass for that small print on contracts.
Either way don't trust anyone coming to your door promising something that isn't true. It's also cheaper to buy gallon water or jugs of purified water than these so called filters. Besides paying financing, you have to pay service charges and buy parts for broken systems. And that goes for any air conditioner, pool or vacuum hey might finance because I researched that they finance that too.
 29th of Jan, 2011 by   M and A 0 Votes
Everyone is right! Dont buy from them they are blood suckers and will rip you off so quick you wont even know what hit you! We paid ours in full, and it did end up being much more than we were told it would be. Also we had to have ours serviced and it too costed an arm and a leg, and was supposed to be free. They gave a all the soap and detergents that are supposed to last years, or whatever and be helpful to the water system, and they all suck! The only soap of the thousands of dollars worth they gave us that is worth anything is the hand soap and wouldnt you know we only get one container of that and about 5 of the others. So not only did they pretty much steal over $3, 000 from us for nothing, we are also stuck with like 2 dozen containers full of crap soaps. We have had the system for over 5 years now and had nothing but trouble from it, I wish we had just bought a regular filter and been done with it. I dont even think there is a difference anyway, except a big eye sore in the back yard! Dont buy from them! You could dig a well for the price they charge!
 9th of Mar, 2011 by   Jeff Roberts 0 Votes
I had to file chapter 7 bankruptcy after being in two accidents in 2010.One of which I almost lost my leg, in addition to being out of work for 10 week's, not missing a payment untill I tried a debt reduction firm. Also a ripoff. Dealing with wife who has been a cancer patient since 2001 and now M. S. The bankruptcey was discharged Feb. 3rd 2011. I tried to refinance me home only to be turned down because AQUA FINANCE had filed a UCC Lein on my home. The water softner was supposed to be a health benefit not a financial grave. What kind of humanatarians run Aqua Finance. I hope some one with a little compassion from the comany reads this. Jeffrey Roberts Saint Petersburg Flordia

Help for Start-Ups