logo

Possible fraud!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Afni Inc. Complaints & Reviews - Fraudulent billing!

Afni Inc. Contacts & Informations

Afni Inc.

Posted:    Bill Johnson

Fraudulent billing!

I received an erroneous bill from this company also. It's a business that buys old usually noncollectable junk debt and attempts to associate anything or anyone with such debt. I received a bill like thousands of people across the country have stating I owed hundreds or thousands of dollars. In my case it was for someones defaulted Verizon bill for hundreds of collect calls from a Prison totaling 998$?! Report them to the Attorney general of your state. Then contact the FTC (Federal Trade Commission), the FBI, your local police department and Better Business Bureau. Also contact the credit bureaus to resolve this matter. The Attorney Generals of other states have successfully sued such companies and won money for the victims of these types of scams. Afni and other companies like this are semi legit so far under the law and they can ruin your credit unfortunately and have ruined many good peoples names. And there is nothing lower or more despicable in this world than the destroying a good honest persons reputation.
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Aug, 2007 by   Miss. Collector 0 Votes
I work for Afni. I know you all are pissed off because you have debts you didn't pay but let me tell you something ROXANNE... a lot of the people who work for this company are COLLEGE STUDENTS! I personally am an Air Force nursing student. I'm working this job until I leave for school next month. It is a respectable job! We can't help that you all didn't pay your bill, we can't help if an account was opened in your name and you didn't know, or can't remember!! If you talk to us with respect and realize this is just our job and we are not at fault... we'd be more than happy to work with you and listen to what you have to say to get the situation resolved. Regardless of the age of the bills, they are still services that were used and have to be paid for. There is not limitation by FEDERAL LAW on how long you can collect on a debt. We do know our laws and it is part of our 10 week training! So be angry and write your little blogs. We are legit, we follow all laws, and your payment is due!!!
 6th of Sep, 2007 by   Nicole 0 Votes
I'm not sure where the last 2 AFNI employees got trained, but if that is in fact what they were training you with, your whole company could potentially become the center of an investigation.

They honestly teach you that there is no statute of limitations on debt? And you feel that it's perfectly appropriate to not provide proof of a debt to people requesting it? Please... think of your response carefully, because since you have identified yourselves as employees, you can be held responsible if a lawyer wants to subpeona this website for IP logs and/or other identifiers.
 1st of Oct, 2007 by   Corky Reed-Watt 0 Votes
Has anyone been able to get the zip code for AFNI.Inc? It is not on their site. Probably a way to keep people from sending formal complaints. The post office box number is not good without a zip code. Corky
 25th of Oct, 2007 by   Self Informed 0 Votes
The employees of AFNI need to take a basic legal 101 course. The truth is, those who work in the AFNI group are simply incorrect about their position, poorly trained, brainwashed by their immediate supervisor, and are simply too ignorant of the law to know that they are.
 30th of Oct, 2007 by   John Doe 0 Votes
This is the mailing address:
AFNI, Inc.
Bloomington IL 61702-3427

I too have been hit with bad credit that wasn't mine. I sent all the collectors a letter. They all quit trying to collect the debt and removed them from my credit reports. This is a sample letter.

John Doe
123 Nowhere Ave.
Nowherevill NW 12345

AFNI, Inc.
Bloomington IL 61702-3427

1/20/2007

RE: Acct # *********

To Whom it may concern,

My Name is John Doe SSN# 123-45-6789. I do not wish to do business with you. If you want to force me to do business with you under threat of harm (negative reporting to the credit bureaus), thats attempted extortion. Unless you can show me evidence we have a written relationship that obligates me to do business with you. You are to remove all accounts from all three credit bureaus within 30 days, or I will take the proper action for extortion.

Sincerely,
John D. Doe

You must sign it also.
 8th of Nov, 2007 by   Anish 0 Votes
Both my husband and I got the collection letters for telephones we had as college students 13 years ago! We both paid our bills but of course dont have PROOF!

Anyway I found a website for a class action lawsuit against AFNI for this. Its a law firm. I hope all the people who are being by these POS sign on. I am really pissed off!

8th of Nov, 2007 by   Anish 0 Votes
... and to those employees that say they work for Afni.

I have worked on the billing dept software IT of certain "telcos"- believe me when I tell you database integrity is not the foremost in their list of expertise. The database gets screwed up and often- not necessarily all accounts. But if anything other than ordinary happy path case -shit can go wrong in your database. So I have learned to keep PAPER records of my last bills. Its a pain- but I have learned since due to another fuck up with pacbell !

So Afni employees - remember it could be you or someone from your family a few years from now.
 12th of Dec, 2007 by   Theodora Rayot 0 Votes
I was in the process of buying a home, my credit was really good, and Afni put four (4) Verizon past due accts. on my credit report in one day. I wrote them disputing the claims. The do not answer, nor cooperate. Anybody get any satiisfaction?
 7th of Jan, 2008 by   Jeanine Brown 0 Votes
I received collection notices from AFNI in reference to a bill that Verizon said I owed. AFNI was of no assistance in resolving this. I sent a letter to Verizon, AFNI and the FCC. I obtained a copy of my credit report and noticed that this delinquent Verizon charge is on there. I am sending another letter to Verizon, AFNI and the FCC to have it resoved and removed from my credit report. Verizon and AFNI are ridiculous and both should be heavily fined for the inconvienence.
 30th of Jan, 2008 by   T T 0 Votes
AFNI placed a collections debt on my credit report, without my knowledge. It was for a Verizon account under a similar, but different name. I never received a bill or notice of collection I only found out when I checked my credit history after not having done so for 7 years. Yes, I know, foolish me. I won't do that again. My wife called AFNI and the person to whom she spoke was actually cordial and explained how to fix the issue by just sending a letter to them spelling out why this wasn't my account. We'll see how this works out.
 14th of Mar, 2008 by   Fabi 0 Votes
BECAREFUL WHEN YOU CALL VERIZON, WHEN YOU CALL TO SPEAK WITH VERIZON'S COLLECTIONS DEPT THEY TRANSFER YOU TO AFNI, INC......

I AM CANCELLING MY VERIZON ACCOUNT.. If you also have verizon you might want to think about doing the same. Thanks to verizon now strangers/scammers at afni, inc have our information. If you ask an afni, inc for their last name they'll tell you that they can not give you that information mean while they have our info and ss# thanks to verizon.

Let people know how verizon sold our information to afni,inc. they are scammers afni, inc is now givin my phone number to other telemarketing company/scammer .. I am in the do not call list and I have never received any unwanted calls but now after afni, inc guess what my phone doesn’t stop ringing by scammer… I have googled the numbers that are calling me and they are scams….

Verizon should also get sued for selling our info to a company that’s into scam afni, inc has a bad name. They have the worst collection dept, rude unprofessional workers that are trying to make money off of people that don’t even owe money for unpaid bills way past the SOL….
 14th of Mar, 2008 by   Fabi 0 Votes
How many addresses does AFNI, INC have to type in their stupid collection letters? These people are nuts......
DO NOT PAY THEM A PENNY......

Here are some po box address that they have......

Afni, Inc PO BOX 3427 BLOOMINGTON, IL 61702-3427
Afni, Inc 404 BROCK DRIVE BLOOMINGTON, IL 61702-3427
Afni, Inc po box 20939 ferndale, mi 48220
Departmen 555 PO BOX 4115 CONCORD, CA 94524
to file a complaint with the BBB in IL here is the zip code 61602

I have file complaints with everyone and their mother, ftc, ag in my state, ag IL, bbb IL, the list goes on... I'm in process of making a police report..... I'm also going to report them to the local news stations, if I could I will call a few states and report them there too.... EVERYONE HERE DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO STOP THIS AFNI, INC BS...

and as per the FDCPA I'm going to do what it takes to sue them because I sent Afni,inc a cert dispute letter and it was signed by one of Afni's agents and they have not replied back via mail and they keep calling my house...... everytime AFNI, INC contacts you after you have already sent them a dispute letter you might be able to sue them $1000 for evertime day contact you, and if I could sue verizon for selling my information to these scammers I am going to... so keep calling me AFNI, INC $I want $1000 for each call you make to my house......

VERIZON SCKS TOO.... VERIZON IS A MOLE!!!!!
 14th of Mar, 2008 by   Soon to be Homeless California Teacher 0 Votes
This is no Joke.

A company called AFNI, Inc. P.O. Box 3472 in Bloomington, Il. 61702 is a third party collections company.
They buy old worthless, incorrect and often out of statute of limitations debt portfolios.

Recently, ANFI, Inc. sent out a second notice collection bill on an old phone account through Verizon California Inc. they said I owed from 2001. Note I never received a first notice.
They offered to settle for half of what they said I owed, about $45.00.
Dumbfounded I knew I never had any account of any kind with Verizon, so I called Verizon Cal. Inc. and spoke to Eric. He looked in his data base for my name, SS and the phone number. He said there was nothing about me in any of their files. He also said the phone number wasn't even a Verizon number.
So I did a phone number search at my own expense and found out what I already knew, it was not mine.

I checked my credit reports and found in violation of the Fair Debt Reporting Act they also placed this bill on my consumer’s credit reports without ever notifying me, and re-aged it from 2001 to 2007, which is also against the law.
If you receive one of these bills from AFNI, Inc. and you know that you had never had Verizon; or if it is a bill you never heard of before, check your credit reports right away.

I checked other web sites and found out a lot about AFNI, Inc. scamming people, not just a few but hundreds, thousands across the USA.

I then disputed the bill by Certified letters. Also, I filed with my state’s Attorney General and the IL. A.G., the FTC, and the BBB and every web site I can to get the word out on these scum.
The IL. BBB says that AFNI, INC. says it is my bill from 2001, but they have not validated it yet. Even if it were mine, it is out of SOL in California. I am not sending them one red cent and will sue them if they continue to report this on my CR or sell this worthless paper to another debt agency.

I have heard to NEVER, NEVER call AFNI, Inc., as they will capture your phone number and start calling and harassing you; AND NEVER give them your Information as they will use anything against you.

For More Information on the AFNI, Inc. scam check BudHibbs.com or simply type in consumer complaints AFNI, Inc. into your search the web box. There are hundreds of complaints against these scam artists.

Only by banding together and filing reports against AFNI, Inc. can consumers shut these guys down.

Best of luck everyone,
 14th of Mar, 2008 by   Fabi 0 Votes
you all might want to read this article.... afni, inc has hired inmates, so the people that have our personal information are jail mates .... Read the article below

17th of Mar, 2008 by   JoeBlow 0 Votes
This This reply goes to> 275 days ago by Nathan M. Purdy...

Per your comment, so you're saying that verizon and other telecommunication company had portfolios of old unpaid debts that the consumer has mistakenly not been billed. Well guess what, that’s NOT anyone’s fault but verizon, and even if what you’re saying is true, you’re forgetting, SOL.

Afni, Inc. is harassing consumers that have always paid their bills on time now if Verizon made this mistake, per your post you know better thn that. The SOL in most states is 7 years, why in the world is Afni, Inc contacting people after 7, and 8 years for bills that verizon mistakenly did not bill the customers for.

I‘ve sent Afni, Inc a certified dispute letter which was ignored by an Afni, Inc. agent and it was totally ignored Afni, Inc. continues to harass me by calling me almost everyday.

FCK OFF Afni, Inc.
 17th of Mar, 2008 by   JoeBlow 0 Votes
This This reply goes to> 275 days ago by Nathan M. Purdy......

I‘ve sent Afni, Inc a certified dispute letter which was signed by an Afni, Inc agent and even after sending a dispute letter Afni, Inc. continues to harass me by calling my home everyday.
 4th of Apr, 2008 by   gregP 0 Votes
Like everybody else I have had to deal with AFNI for an old Verizon bill from 2001. I am in backgrounds for a government job that I am returning to since my mid life career change did not work out as planned. Part of the background requires my credit be of a suitable level. The only way I can be cleared through backgrounds is to have any outstanding debts paid off. Yes AFNI got me because I need this job, and lets face it, if it costs $900 to get a job paying well into the 70K a year range, when my current job is barely paying me high 20's, most of us will pay the $900 and be done with it.

When I got this bill, I wrote to them and demanded proof that this was my account and if it is my account, I need to see documentation that I agreed to pay this bill, the payment history showing date of default and any payments made to Verizon once the phone service was disconnected. AFNI wrote back to me 29 days after getting this letter and said I had not sent them sufficient information to dispute this debt and I need to forward them copies of all sorts of personal items, such as my Driver License, Social Security Number, Home number and a few other things I was unwilling to provide.

I called them and said this is a stall tactic and you haven't proved this is my account. The lady at AFNI told me that they only need to show that I received this phone service and that they had my Soc sec number and Driver License number. The fact I had the account for 4 years at my old residence was sufficient to prove it was mine. Maybe that is, maybe it's not, but it doesnt prove I didn't pay it. They don't care. They refused to cooperate and see things my way.

I told the lady, if you agree to remove it from my credit report I will pay you in full. She said, no they wont do that as it is unethical for them to delete an account that was legitimately in default and now paid. ( as if a ca is ethical) The best she could offer is to show it as a paid collection account. That wont help me much since an account that is a paid delinquent account is not much better than a currently defaulted one if it has only been a few months and since the entry goes away come November it wont help me much. She basically said they can keep collecting after the 7 year point. I said good luck, Calif has rules about that and I have been denied an old debt from a client because it went over 4 years. She said I was wrong and we ended the call.

A couple hours later I called back to see if someone could tell me how the bill got to be so high for a home phone bill. The guy said, he couldnt say as all it showed was a bill from Verizon for the $928. I then told him all I want is an agreement to remove the account from my credit report in exchange for payment in full. He said hold on and came back a few minutes later saying he can't do that. I told him if he finds a way to make that happen I'll pay him. He called me back the next day and said he found a supvervisor who was willing to work with me and said they will remove it from my credit reports in exchange for full payment. At that point I paid the full amount. He told me that they will send out the deletion letter on Monday 4/7/08 and then it will up to the credit bureaus as to when it comes off.

Anybody have any idea if I just got scammed or will AFNI do what they promised and remove it from my credit report? If they don't I will continue to dispute it as an invalid debt. I never agreed it was mine, but paid it to have it removed so I can get the job I want.

I know many on here have had problems with AFNI and most suggest not paying them a dime, but im sorta in a bad place and had no choice if want this job. Even if they don't remove it, I will look more responsible if it is paid.

Anyone with any comments or suggestions let me know. My Email should be on here or write me at Greg3070@aol.com
 25th of Apr, 2008 by   Fabi 0 Votes
The best thing to do is call the Attorney General Office in your state, tell them the situation and let them know that Afni, Inc. is harassing you, and you'd like them to please stop harassing you. The Attorney General Office in my state contacted Afni, Inc and a week later I received a letter from the Attorney General Office stating that my complaint has been settled. They also attached a fax letter from Afni, Inc. stating that they have closed the underlying account and will cease collections on the same. I do advice you to contact the Attorney General Office in your state, and ask them if they could please contact Afni, Inc. regarding this matter.

I hope this will work for you as it did for me...

DIspute letter below...

Afni, Inc month/date/year
404 Brock Drive
Bloomington, IL 61701

Bloomington, IL 61702-3427

1 888 257 1585
Fax 309 820 2614
www.afnicollections.com

My name is _____________ and I dispute the validity of the debt on the Afni, Inc Account # 0000000. I received a collection notice on 00/00/0000 which states that I owe AT&T $00.00 for an unpaid bill, and I believe that I do not owe this dept.

This will serve as your legal notice under provisions of federal law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), to cease all communication with me in regard to the debt referenced above. If you fail to heed this notice, I will file a formal complaint against you with the Federal Trade Commission who is responsible for enforcement, the States Attorney General office and/or the American Collectors Association or local State Bar Association.

You are also notified that should any adverse information be placed against my/our credit reports as a result of this notice that appropriate actions will be taken. Give this very important matter the attention it deserves.

Sincerely,
Type name here

Certified Mail # ________________________________________________________
Date 00/00/0000

Notice: This is an attempt to make a debt collector obey the law. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.

Cc: Federal Trade Commission
Cc: Texas Attorney General
 3rd of Jun, 2008 by   roxanna 0 Votes
hello i have a debt with your company and trying to settle it. My name is Roxanne and I will like to know that comment is about me?
 3rd of Oct, 2008 by   Fabi 0 Votes
Listen people if you do not owe them anything contact the attorney general office in your state and ask them to please send afni inc a letter so that they stop the harrsing calls... I did so because after sending afni a dispute letter and afni ignored my dispute letter I got fed up. Afni has stopped calls and they are going to get sued... They not only harrased they did not respect the SOL... Sue them the more people that sue's afni the faster this collection agency will go out of business.

Did you know that you could sue afni... they are being sued by the state of Minnesota?

Irs Scam