logo

John Kenney Aka Pobama25@yahoo.com

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Afni, Inc. Complaints & Reviews - Fraudulent 11 year old verizon bill!

Afni, Inc. Contacts & Informations

Afni, Inc.

Posted:    George Todd

Fraudulent 11 year old verizon bill!

Today I received a letter from a collection agency called Afni, Inc. alleging I owed $63.00 from 11 years ago - 1996. Verizon has provided my phone service for the past 10 years and I don't believe I have ever missed a payment. They never once mentioned I owed them a cent from 1996 and even sent me a refund for overpayment when I moved out of Verizon's service area in 2006. When I called Afni, Inc, a particularly rude young female told me she wasn't interested in anything I had to say. I hung up and will be filling complaints with the NYC Dept. of Consumer Affairs, NY Attorney General, IL Dept. of Consumer Affairs, IL Attorney General, and the IL and NY State Bar Associations. If we band together we can stop these gluttons and put their management and employees behind bars where they belong. I also may send letters to the NY Times, Daily News, and Post. I'm sure Ruppert would get a charge out of organizing a national multimillion dollar class action suit.
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

26th of Nov, 2007 by   Dennis Walker 0 Votes
Add my name to the list. I received a "settlement offer" letter the other day, and the theme remains the same: an eleven year old Verizon account that I supposedly owe $81.93 on... but that Afni is willing to accept half the amount on. Having read this page that is FILLED with Afni/Verizon phone accounts that were supposedly not paid, I am EXTREMELY skeptical of Afni's business practices. There is no doubt that we paid any Verizon phone charges when we moved to Oregon, but it's difficult to document when the rule of thumb is that you keep your records for seven years. How convenient for Afni! I think it's time for someone with a little clout with the general public to investigate this shady business practice...
 26th of Nov, 2007 by   EB 0 Votes
I am glad I found this site...I got the the same bogus bill today! Don't pay it it is a scam. The bills everyone is getting are low enough that some will unfortunately pay. Even if it was real they can not put anything on your credit over 7 years old.
 28th of Nov, 2007 by   A. Prochaska 0 Votes
I's so glad I decided to look this up. My husband got a letter in the mail almost two months ago saying that he owed Verizon Florida $234.05 for a phone number where he did live before... but it was not a phone number he ever had. The bad part on our half is that we can remember what the old phone number was. The plan was we were going to write them a letter to receive a copy of this bill so we could see when it was from and if he was really in Florida when this bill was. We wanted to get all the facts to see if for some reason, he did owe this money. We missed our 30 day mark to send the letter in. A few weeks later after the 30 days, we got another letter from them trying to get a settlement offer, saying to resolve the matter, we could just pay $117.03, half of the bill, and case closed.

Still sounded a bit odd to me. I got a phone call from a friend who had gotten a bill from the same people for a phone bill that was not his. He called a lawyer to deal with the matter. So I decided to look this Collection place up to see if they were real. It seems something is really odd that everyone here has a problem with Verizon for bills that were almost all done in the 90's. My husband right now is going to check his credit today and see if this place has gotten on his credit report. If this place is as bad as it sounds... we really should do more than just let people know these people are frauds and report them and stop them with what they are doing.

If anyone does have any new information of what to do to try and stop these people in there tracks, please respond. I also would like to say the same thing someone else said before, has anyone failed to pay there bill and had something happen to them, like going to court? Thanks again everyone for putting this out there.
 28th of Nov, 2007 by   Kim 0 Votes
I received a letter from these jokers in July saying I owed a debt to Alltel from many years ago (can't remember now). I found it funny because I have Alltel now, pay them monthly and how'd I stick with it if I owed $93.62 all this time??? Well I figured I'd just pay it, make sure it didn't show up on my husbands credit report, etc and wash my hands in it. My husband is in Iraq on an 18mth tour and we don't need this crap. So THEN I get a letter in the mail from Afni, inc AGAIN this month and this one said my husband owes Verizon Florida Inc. $592.28! Hu? From 1999. Well although they had my address right I am not giving them another cent! I am disputing it and telling them I want proof in writing. I didn't have Verizon, never have. They said it could be from GTE which I might have had then but I KNOW I paid my bills. If I hadn't they would have contacted me THEN and it would have been on the credit report! I don't know what these guys think they are doing, but I am reporting them to every agency I can think of!
 17th of Dec, 2007 by   Keeper Private 0 Votes
My son in law got one of these notices from Afni saying he owed $ 400.18.. He got scared and called them up and sadly gave out a little info he shouldnt have. Hes only 21 and hasnt dealt with the harshness of the world yet. They claim that this is for a Phone with Bell Alantic in 1998 my he was 9 years old then and definately didnt have his own phone with Bell Alantic. Its sad that this practice goes on and they seek out those who arent aware of con games and who are taught to trust in his fellow man. My son in law is a great kid!
 18th of Dec, 2007 by   deboarh depoalo 0 Votes
I received a bill from Afni, Inc., and spoke with a representative who offerred me a settlement payment of $50.00 on a $74.12 Bell Atlantic bill from November 1984. I asked why I was not disconnected from service if I indeed had a unpaid balance. He could not answer me, so I decided to check things out myself.

I was delighted to find I was not the only person who was questioning the collection agency and I will be forwarding this information to my Attorney General's office.

I have a new appreciation for the general public and the internet.
 19th of Dec, 2007 by   Greg Barnhill 0 Votes
I was kind of suprised to discover that I actually do have bills, posted check receipts , etc from 1999 (I was almost certain I would have shredded everything prior to 2000 by now), and since my service continued much longer than Afni alleges, I did have a copy of the final bill, and I have to tell you folks that I have no idea what these Afni people are looking at when they create these collection notices. It's starting to smell a lot like deliberate fraud in my specific case. They have some information correct, some is so far off base it is laughable, checks were cashed every month and well beyond the time Afni says the account was closed, and the final bill reads, "Paid in Full".

I would strongly advise anybody receiving a notice from Afni to question the authenticity of their claims and take all neccessary steps to protect yourself.
 20th of Dec, 2007 by   Howard Friedman 0 Votes
Add me to the list. I have received two of these. The first was closed after I complained by calling them. Now the second one arrived.
 22nd of Dec, 2007 by   Theresa 0 Votes
This is unbelievable and still going on! I just got one today for 582 dollars for nynex who is now verizon, I never had a nynex account OMG!!! Hubby said check on internet and low and behold, here everyone is w/ the same BS. I'm saving those links M Thomas, this info makes me feel much better!!! I thought someone stole my identity, now I know better. Thank You Thank You Thank You!
 31st of Dec, 2007 by   Galab Dhungana 0 Votes
I received a similary notice from Afni, Inc, Inc for a $39.90 (unpaid verizon bill). This whole episode looked strange to me because I have always paid my bills and the phone number did not belong to me. Moreover, this Afni, Inc has posted this notice on my credit report which I think is outrageous. Something must be done immediately with Alfi, Inc, because this is harrassment.
 2nd of Jan, 2008 by   CocoB 0 Votes
Verizon are the most greediest companies around. Unfortunately I did not siee this message on time and already made a payment. I left Verizon a few years ago when I learned that they had disabled blutooth features on their blutooth phones in order to prevent people from transfering files to and from their computers. This was when blutooth first became available. All other phone companies left all the blutooth features on their same model phones, but verizon wanted to ensure that they could charge 4.99 for a freakin ring tone (unb elievable). They are GREEDY; this Afni deal proves just how ruthless and greedy these people are. If I could help it, I will avoid getting any of their products and services. Hopefully they got my money for the last time. (10 year old bill "97" damn bastards).
 3rd of Jan, 2008 by   Amy Uccello 0 Votes
I am also dealing with many of the same issues already brought up. I have been hit with an AFNI bill from more than 10 years ago at an address that I did live at. I do not recognize the number but am not 100% positive that it wasn't my number. However, I always pay my bills on time and could not see this as something I would have overlooked. The bill is for over $300 and Afni has 'so generously' offered to collect half in order to close the account. I am tempted to get it out of my life and off my credit report but of course do not wish to be scammed. My question is, how do I find out for absolute sure that this is or is not an outstanding bill of mine. Unfortunately, I do not have any records that far back. I find it very unlikely but I am willing to accept the possibility as I don't have any proof. What I need verification. Does anyone have experience with this?
 9th of Jan, 2008 by   liggy1424 0 Votes
I had the same issue with AFNI and cleared it up very quickly. Send a letter via certified mail to their corporate office stating only:

I DISPUTE THE VALIDITY OF THE DEBT.
PROVIDE VERIFICATION OF THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS.
YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO CONTACT ME UNLESS TAKING ADVERSE ACTION OR CLOSING THE ACCOUNT.

File a complaint with your local Attorney general's Office.

Check Your State's Statute of limitations. Most of the bills they are trying to collect are well past the statute of limitations.

DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THE DEBT OR MAKE ANY PAYMENTS. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION.

If you acknowledge the debt or make any type of payment, you are re-setting the statute of limitations clock allowing AFNI to proceed with the collections.
 25th of Jan, 2008 by   Cynthia P 0 Votes
Who are these people BSM/SBA Enterprise, they have charged my accout and I cant find out who they are. This is BULL SHIT. In order for my bank to take the charge off I have to close it and reopen another accnt. Please help Thanks
 30th of Jan, 2008 by   Carmen 0 Votes
Well couple months ago I received a letter asking me to pay an old cell-phone bill that I owed and I thought that they was a real and responsible agency, the bill was for $1,03.00 for like more than 8 years ago, the offered me a Settlement for only $732.00, and telling me that I was supposed to do it, or either they was going to take me to court, so that scares me, and I started to make payments installments each month until I paid off what they asked me, so at the end I haven't received any THANK YOU letter even for telling me that i don't owed anything else. Can anyone give an advised for what should I do, to that information of paid-off goes to my credit report too? thanks.
 6th of Feb, 2008 by   Lea 0 Votes
DO NOT PAY THEM ANY MONEY - No Matter How Small of an Amount!! Do not even make payment arrangements!! Do not admit that it is/isn't yours. Simply tell them you are requesting proof of debt, which legally they are required to provide upon request, and if they ask , say you are not confirming the debt either way, but would like more information about the account so you can decide what legal action to take.

I just received a Settlement Offer today from Afni for a Verizon bill from an account that was open for nine months from 1999-2000. That would make the bill at the very least 7.5 years old. I currently have an account with Verizon Wireless and asked them if I owed Verizon a bill for a landline would I have been approved for a cell phone with them. They said NO. So, by that alone this bill is invalid. Additionally, I specifically remember paying off my Verizon landline when I shut-of fthe service, so know for a feact that I do not and did not owe them any monies. It has never showed on my credit reports and I have never recieved a collection notice from any debt collector in regards to a Verizon account and have a hard time believing that if this was a truly vald account I would not have received some sort of correspondence before now. I called and requested proof of debt and the exact date that it was turned over to Afni from Verizon. I know it is easy for a debt collector to get my current address & info so I wasn't worried that after 8 years and over 16 moves they were able to get my current personal info. I will be following up with a letter to them and referencing my phone call and the rep's ID# that I spoke with. I had informed the rep that in the State of Washington they cannot legally pursue the debt since it is 5+years and since it is more than 7 years they cannot report it to the CRA's. She told me that the age of the debt doesn't erase it, doesn't make it not mine, doesn't mean that I don't owe it, doesn't get me excused from paying it. I simply restated my state's law to her in response.

For a list of the Statue of Limiations for your state, use the link above. Also check out your local Attorney General and file a complaint with them against the company. Filing a BBB complaint is good in general, but it will not do anything, but list your complaint.
 8th of Feb, 2008 by   Max Keith Norman 0 Votes
Today I received a letter from AFNI to settle a debt of $1737.78 for half that amount for a debt they claimed I owed Cingular Wireless. Never had cingular phone service. I live in Alabama and discovered the account was opened in Abilene, TX. Never been there. These guys need to GO!
 11th of Feb, 2008 by   E. T. 0 Votes
AFNI is billing me for a past due bill from the ATT, then Cingular, now ATT company. Still a customer there and in good standing! I hope they like waiting. I'm a very patient person!
 12th of Feb, 2008 by   brandon tobbon 0 Votes
i dont think its AFNI or Verizon. i remember a while back verizon was hacked so im sure some kind of hacker could have obtained information.. and made up some kind of scheme to obliterate everyones credit report. its happened to me, so i wouldnt pin the blame on afni
 13th of Feb, 2008 by   Roman Y 0 Votes
We received a collection letter from Afni, Inc. yesterday for a 10 year old Verizon bill for which they want $99.28. This was from a phone number my husband had while still in college. We called them yesterday and they immediately offered to settle for 50%. The operator suggested that this was probably a final bill that had never reached him after he disconnected the phone. We informed them at that time that they cannot post this debt to a credit report as it is more than 7 years old. It is past the statue of limitations and I have sent them a letter by certified mail today informing them we dispute the debt and asking them for validation of the debt. Part of me hopes they'll just go away, the other part hopes that we'll get to sue them for $1000. As recommended above, we will also be filing a complaint with our Attorney General.

Samsung Mobile Unpacked - CTIA 2011 Conference Highlights