logo

Acorn Stairlift
6450 Kingspointe Parkway
Orlando, Florida
acornstairlifts.com
When I originally ordered the stair lift from Acorn to be installed in my father's house, I was told that it would take 4-6 weeks to be manufactured and installed. It took them 14 weeks to delivered and installed the unit. Meanwhile, they had required a 50% deposit of $6, 000 dollars upon ordering. During the time that we waited for the stairlift to be installed, my father who is unable to walk, had to go without a bathroom for the 14 weeks. Acorn was unresponsive to phone calls and messages, it took them weeks to return calls and to update us on the status of the stairlift and installation. When the stairlift was finally installed on June 3, 2008, they were hours late for the appointment and to boot it was improperly installed. The stairlift is supposed to be design to work off of a battery unit in case of power outages or failures. However, during a power outage on June 14, 2008, only a week and a half after the lift was installed, the unit did not work. My father was unable to get up to his bedroom or the bathrooms on the second floor. More importantly reversed this situation, what if my father had been on the second floor and there was an emergency and he needed to get out of the house. He would not have been able... because the unit was not properly installed and function as it was designed to. I have placed several calls to customer service to have a rep come out and repair the unit that they just installed. However, I am once again getting the run around with noone returning my calls, or getting a schedule appointment. All customer service will tell me is that oneone from technical support will get back to me, but they can't tell me when !!! This is a critical and hazardous situation, if a fire were to break out during the night or the power was to go out again and we had to evacuate the house quickly, my father would never be able to get out !!. We would never be able to get him off the second floor. This is potentially a life threatening situation, and I can't get anyone to return my phone calls or come out to repair the product that they just installed and is under warranty. You would hope that in matters that could potentially be life threatening that a company would be more responsive in correcting their mistakes or problems with their product.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Aug, 2008 by   Craig Eman 0 Votes
I have recently seen a very poor response to even dealer requests for help. I was am Acorn dealer and was told that anyone could install a lift with just a screw driver and a wrench. When i asked my sales rep. She said "well no I could not install a lift with a screw driver and wrench.

The Do It yourself Acorn sales lady said they had only a .003% break down rate. I challenge that. They offer a Lifetime Warranty, but I have been denied free parts to repair Acorn units. I had one new unit take 8 weeks to complete, because they could not ship the correct shroud. I finally had to field modify the incorrect shroud to make it work.

I have heard many other poor response stories to Acorn installations across the USA.

See www.Elevatorexpert.blogspot.com
 26th of Aug, 2009 by   MATORRES86 0 Votes
Craig if you listen to the sales rep they tell you lifetime warranty on the MOTOR and GEAR BOX.

And to the original poster there is no way they were unresponsive to your calls, I call all the time with no problem, all my friends who have Acorns never had a problem. IF the unit took 14 weeks it was most likely a custom lift.

YOu guys complain about companies but you all have selective hearing. No company has lifetime warranty on all their parts.
 9th of Jan, 2010 by   Stairlift Lady -1 Votes
I am the owner of the AUTHORIZED dealer for Acorn in the state of Texas. First of all, there is no stairlift from Acorn that costs $6, 000????? As a dealer, we can receive a stairlift within four days from order.

Acorn is by far the very best stairlift on the market. It is very safe and works when the power is out. It has two batteries which last about 3 years and has a transformer that plugs into an outlet which keeps those batteries charged. It can be used for several days without electricity.

The best way to buy an Acorn stairlift is to find a dealer in your state. Do not go through Acorn direct/internet sales in Florida. First of all, there is usually no one (for sure no one but us in Texas) to install it and then you have no service. Also, it is best that someone measure the stairs and talk to about your needs and the best location (side of stairs) for your situation.

We believe in Acorn and have installed them throughout the state of Texas. We very seldom have a call about one not working. We also work with Acorn tech support to help customers with a problem. Usually we are able to fix it over the phone and that saves the customer a service call charge. There are many safety features with Acorn. Also there is a digital display that gives the customer a code, which helps us diagnose the problem. Many times it is something simple, like the seat is not in the correct position.

If you live in Texas, we are here for you! We are just a phone call or email away. Our website is www.texasstairlift.com.
 15th of Feb, 2010 by   LiftMan +1 Votes
I have been installing stairlifts for almost 20 years, and have worked on Acorns from time to time when customers have been having trouble getting a response from Acorn or their sometimes flaky "dealers." Their straight stairlifts are decently designed and made, but it is their customer service that is sorely lacking. I have bid against Acorn dealers on stairlifts where the salesman first bids high if he or she thinks the customer will overpay, and then drops their price dramatically once they find out the customer is getting bids from another company. They suddenly come up with a story about how "someone just canceled their order, and we are now willing to give you a GREAT deal!" I have had several clients relate this same story to me. The "GREAT" price is usually about the same or more than most competitors' reasonable price.

In short, Acorn is a company of sharks with a decent product and used car dealer tactics. Repair parts are overpriced, and take FOREVER to get. Oh, and they will gouge you on shipping too.

Acorn has had more complaints to the Better Business Bureau than any distributor of stairlifts in the US. Until recently, they had a C- rating with the BBB. After a competitor started using this rating in their advertising, it seems that Acorn suddenly responded to all those complaints to get their rating back in good standing.

All machines malfunction from time to time, and stairlifts are no exception. It is how a company responds to customer needs that defines it. If you are looking for a stair lift, i would DEFINITELY avoid contacting Acorn directly, and stick to a company within 50-75 miles of you, and ask for references.
 5th of May, 2010 by   Allen Roskoff 0 Votes
ANYTHING ADVERTISED ON TV SHOULD ALWAYS BE GOGGLED FOR COMPLAINTS BEFORE BUYING. THE GREAT MAJORITY OF ADS ARE FRAUDULENT OR OUTRIGHT RIPOFFS. PT BARNUM HAD IT CORRECT WHEN HE SAID " THERE IS A SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE ". THE TV STATIONS MAKE TOO MANY MILLIONS TO POLICE THERE ADVERTISERS AND THE FCC IS TOO SWAMPED WITH COMPLAINTS TO EVER FIND A SOLUTION. REMEMBER, AS SOON AS YOU GIVE YOUR CREDIT CARD TO AN UNKNOWN SOURCE, YOU OPEN YOURSELF UP TO SCAMS AND FRAUDS.
 25th of Jul, 2010 by   Iain Dunn +1 Votes
I purchased an Acorn stairlift for my disabled wife in December 09. Since installation I have had an engineer out on at least 8 occasions to fix various faults - fantastic!!! - after only 7 months use. Acorn personnel show total apathy towards my complaints. Their only concern appears to be trying to force me into an extended warranty costing almost £1500. On one occasion they tried to charge me £20 (£10 post & Packing, believe it or not!) to replace a broken key, a key so flimsy that you get stronger ones on sardine tins. Will the chair last out until the end of the warranty period? I'm not holding my breath.
This is the worst Company I have dealt with in 40+ years for ANY commodity.
Be well warned - if you require a stairlift PUT ACORN AT THE BOOTOM OF YOUR LIST. THEY ARE A TOTAL DISGRACE TO THE INDUSTRY.
 11th of Aug, 2010 by   jakew025 0 Votes
I feel sorry for all the people who have had problems with Acorn, but seriously you should have done your research before making a purchase of thousands of dollars. It is obvious that Acorn is a marketing and sales company that has little interest in their products after purchase. My suggestion would be to find a local company in your area that carries the product you want and then research them. See if they service their products, check their bbb record, ask to speak with past customers of theirs, do your research. Don't complain when you get shammed by a company such as Acorn. If you are smart before you buy then you probably would not have had the problems you are dealing with now. And as far as Acorn goes, their stairlift is not high quality anyways. If you want a well built stairlift, you should look at Bruno or Thyssen Krupp.
 7th of Sep, 2010 by   Craig Eman 0 Votes
Odd message I got about this post on Sept 6th. Some Acorn dealer in Texas wanted to disagree and call me a liar that I was never an Acorn Dealer...hmmm. I have all the invoices and problems and irate customers that can confirm my troubles during this time frame that I posted my comments.

Interesting that the commenter still would not recommend to anyone to call Acorn Direct sale office to buy one, but to call her in Texas, because she is the only one in the whole State who sells Acorn? Really? Let's call Acorn direct and see what they say when asked for someone to install in Texas?

Here is the answer: If I want to buy a DIY stair lift I can get it shipped to me anywhere. Then install it anywhere. They now have operations in Houston & Dallas.

So it depends which sales department you talk to. DIY sell the US anywhere, except where the State Atty, General has told them they can not offer that without a State licensed mechanic.

Acorn stores seems to be the new plan to sell in larger markets. If the lady who posted is a Direct store she may have some points. If she is an independent dealer, then she is in for some surprises from our friends at acorn.

If I mis-understand any of the information provided by the Acorn Sales Associate or in any way have mis-stated the facts or their sales plans or anything else, I am most happy to retract my comments.

I just offered my experience with Acorn Stair lifts back in 2007-2009. It kinda stays online for ever. If another Acorn Sales person has any unbiased statements, please add them to this post. That is why it is here.

Customers will sift through the Sales speak and the real customer problems.
 31st of Mar, 2011 by   Iain Dunn 0 Votes
Have now had Acorn stairlift for 15 months and wish I had never heard of them. Have now had engineers out at least 15 times to repair/replace numerous faulty parts. The matter is now in the hands of my Solicitor as I have had my fill of this Company. Must be one of the worst in the industry.
 16th of May, 2011 by   keith edwards 0 Votes
i have tried to contact you on the number you gave me but all i got was please call back later or try again lines are busy.i have payed a lot of money for this service, and i must say i am very disapointed it is still not working, so what do i do?
 16th of May, 2011 by   keith edwards 0 Votes
after paying for a gold cover you do not answer the phone, nor am i able to leave a message, if nothing is done about this i will be forced to take the matter further. it still isnt working correct, and it will mot get any better without some attention. IT ONLY WORKS WHEN IT WANTS TO.
 23rd of Jun, 2011 by   chrisr323 0 Votes
Ummm may I ask a question? Why would you buy something from a dealer when you can buy directly from the manufacturer? I would not trust a dealer with an investment like that, my mom has an acorn and its working PERFECT for the last few years. I called once for a new remote that was needed because mom broke it and it came in the mail 2 days later for a miniscule charge. Oh and by the way when I called them they were nothing but nice to me too.
 23rd of Jul, 2012 by   ajaybyrd 0 Votes
It amazes me that some people seem to be blaming the consumer. Saying things like "if you would have checked on it first..." As if they somehow deserve shoddy products, or nonexsistant service because they decided to trust a company outright. Thats like saying, "well, if you had done a background check on that man, and asked the people around him what they thought before that date, you wouldnt be dead now...oh well, too bad for you, you should have done your research.". How rediculous! The company has the obligation to treat the customer right, and its sad that we now have to research everything in order to get proper customer service. But i am glad that i decided to check this out...i will surely be looking somewhere else for a similar product.

5 Consumer Tips for Tech Savings