logo

Access-A-Ride

Posted:    Lorna Saunders

Poor Service

New York, New York
On Wednesday, 09/16/09, my mother made an appointment with Access-A-Ride for Thursday, 09/17/09 at 9:00 am to go to 1916 Park Ave in Harlem and then from there to 2 Lafayette Street in Manhattan. However, she could not go to 2 Lafayette Street in Manhattan because she was not feeling well. I called and explained to Access-A-Ride that my mother was not feeling well and that she cannot go to 2 Lafayette Street in Manhattan. Instead, she would like to go home. Access-A-Ride indicated to me that their policy is that if one makes an appointment to go to a certain destination, he/she cannot changed his/her mind to go to another destination for any reason. Access-A-Ride emphasize that they have to abide by their policy, and that cannot be changed.

Access-A-Ride was to return to 1916 Park Ave at 11:50 am, but no one came until 1:10 pm. When Access-A-Ride came, the driver was told to stop at the nearest train station, which was at 125th Street station in Harlem. I am extremely upset because they don't think about the well being of the customer, but about policy.

This was a very bad service. Can anything be done?
Comments United States Public Transportation & Taxi
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Oct, 2009 by   Yvette T 0 Votes
I understand and have been more than distress by this service myself. Just recently in the rain I was kept waiting an 1 hour over pick up time which includes 30 minute window, over and over I was told the driver would be there in 15 minutes. I was hurting, hungry and tired!!!
 6th of Apr, 2011 by   Penny Sherwin 0 Votes
My husband and myself have been denied twice by Access a Ride. He is on registry for transplant for 3 years. We have no money for taxies. Because of Nephrology problems he has a host of of other problems. It is painful to walk anywhere because of the neuropathy. He also has curbside eye weakness (two surgeries), hypertension with complications. The quality of life his diminished. He has had diabetes for 50 long years. People at Access a ride look at you and decide your fate. I am afraid without your service, he is missing doctor appointments-which can lead to losing his limbs and LIFE . He has end stage renal failure. PLEASE HELP!!!
 18th of Jun, 2012 by   JennDR 0 Votes
This is the worst car service! It is a shame that people who depend on this transportation, who do not have other means of affordable transportation to be subjected to this kind of service. The majority of the persons using this service are either elderly, disabled or have health issues. I am a PCA who has accompanied a woman, which whom is receiving chemotherapy, to her treatments and we use this service. These has not been one trip that not has been faltered in some way. On one occasion the driver arrived at the address slowed down and did not stop in front of the pick location, he continued to go. The woman explained that she saw him from her window. When she called, they informed her that the driver said no one was waiting for him so he left. On our most recent event, They are not punctual at all. As I mentioned earlier, the persons that use this service are our elderly, disabled or are dealing with some health issues why then would you tell them you'll be there at a certain time and then show up 30 minutes later ... it is unfortunate that persons with those conditions to be waiting as long as they do. The other issues, which can be even more frustrating, is that the customer service at Access-a-ride is really horrible. They sound really unhappy with there work and it reflects when you speak with them on the phone. They customer service operators give attitude, do not explain things clearly and I have had experiences with them where the phone is hung up even before I finish. This program was created to assist those who needed transportation that do not otherwise have the means for other modes of transportation and it is poorly services and poorly organized. Whomever is managing this so called service she really analyze what in fact people are receiving!
 1st of Jun, 2013 by   Chavonne Harris 0 Votes
On 5/31/2013 Access-A-Ride was suppose to pick me up to take me from Yonkers, N.Y. to the Bronx, N.Y. on 5/31/13 at 8:18 P.M., which they did, no problem. On the return, they was suppose to pick me up on 6/1/13 at 12:30 A.M. Please note the dates and time (which may have been the confusion) which I made specific when I made my reservation, P.M. and A.M. Needless to say they did not show up for my return. I really can't believe that this service can actually do business this way. If the tables were turned, and you are not present when they come to pick you up, there are all types of penalties. I really think that those that run this service, need some extensive training, because obviously they don't know what their doing.
 19th of Jun, 2013 by   Mary Walden 0 Votes
My complaint is about getting to my doctors apointments on time. My doctors gave me a 5:30p.m. apointment on Tuesdays and Fridays. I seem to have never to make it on time with access a ride service. Then both of my doctor gave me a 6:00p.m. appointment on those days. I always get to them after 6:00p.m, what about, :6:35 or later. I f I could book appointments on Saturdays, I would, but I can't.. This has been going on for a long time, about a month. If this is needed my ID# is 871730. Thank You
 26th of May, 2014 by   carteredward 0 Votes
i have been having problems with the service and have lodged complaints and nothing has been
done . my huband is on dialysis and was told to try and find another way or the disapatcher is
just rude. i am at the end of the road is there anyone of authority that is willing to help.

Selling Your Phone For An Upgrade