Access-A-Ride

Posted:

Poor Service

3.65
New York, New York
On Wednesday, 09/16/09, my mother made an appointment with Access-A-Ride for Thursday, 09/17/09 at 9:00 am to go to 1916 Park Ave in Harlem and then from there to 2 Lafayette Street in Manhattan. However, she could not go to 2 Lafayette Street in Manhattan because she was not feeling well. I called and explained to Access-A-Ride that my mother was not feeling well and that she cannot go to 2 Lafayette Street in Manhattan. Instead, she would like to go home. Access-A-Ride indicated to me that their policy is that if one makes an appointment to go to a certain destination, he/she cannot changed his/her mind to go to another destination for any reason. Access-A-Ride emphasize that they have to abide by their policy, and that cannot be changed.

Access-A-Ride was to return to 1916 Park Ave at 11:50 am, but no one came until 1:10 pm. When Access-A-Ride came, the driver was told to stop at the nearest train station, which was at 125th Street station in Harlem. I am extremely upset because they don't think about the well being of the customer, but about policy.

This was a very bad service. Can anything be done?
Complaint comments Comments (15) Complaint country United States Complaint category Public Transportation & Taxi

Comments

29th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
I understand and have been more than distress by this service myself. Just recently in the rain I was kept waiting an 1 hour over pick up time which includes 30 minute window, over and over I was told the driver would be there in 15 minutes. I was hurting, hungry and tired!!!
 6th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
My husband and myself have been denied twice by Access a Ride. He is on registry for transplant for 3 years. We have no money for taxies. Because of Nephrology problems he has a host of of other problems. It is painful to walk anywhere because of the neuropathy. He also has curbside eye weakness (two surgeries), hypertension with complications. The quality of life his diminished. He has had diabetes for 50 long years. People at Access a ride look at you and decide your fate. I am afraid without your service, he is missing doctor appointments-which can lead to losing his limbs and LIFE . He has end stage renal failure. PLEASE HELP!!!
 18th of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
This is the worst car service! It is a shame that people who depend on this transportation, who do not have other means of affordable transportation to be subjected to this kind of service. The majority of the persons using this service are either elderly, disabled or have health issues. I am a PCA who has accompanied a woman, which whom is receiving chemotherapy, to her treatments and we use this service. These has not been one trip that not has been faltered in some way. On one occasion the driver arrived at the address slowed down and did not stop in front of the pick location, he continued to go. The woman explained that she saw him from her window. When she called, they informed her that the driver said no one was waiting for him so he left. On our most recent event, They are not punctual at all. As I mentioned earlier, the persons that use this service are our elderly, disabled or are dealing with some health issues why then would you tell them you'll be there at a certain time and then show up 30 minutes later ... it is unfortunate that persons with those conditions to be waiting as long as they do. The other issues, which can be even more frustrating, is that the customer service at Access-a-ride is really horrible. They sound really unhappy with there work and it reflects when you speak with them on the phone. They customer service operators give attitude, do not explain things clearly and I have had experiences with them where the phone is hung up even before I finish. This program was created to assist those who needed transportation that do not otherwise have the means for other modes of transportation and it is poorly services and poorly organized. Whomever is managing this so called service she really analyze what in fact people are receiving!
 1st of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
On 5/31/2013 Access-A-Ride was suppose to pick me up to take me from Yonkers, N.Y. to the Bronx, N.Y. on 5/31/13 at 8:18 P.M., which they did, no problem. On the return, they was suppose to pick me up on 6/1/13 at 12:30 A.M. Please note the dates and time (which may have been the confusion) which I made specific when I made my reservation, P.M. and A.M. Needless to say they did not show up for my return. I really can't believe that this service can actually do business this way. If the tables were turned, and you are not present when they come to pick you up, there are all types of penalties. I really think that those that run this service, need some extensive training, because obviously they don't know what their doing.
 19th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
My complaint is about getting to my doctors apointments on time. My doctors gave me a 5:30p.m. apointment on Tuesdays and Fridays. I seem to have never to make it on time with access a ride service. Then both of my doctor gave me a 6:00p.m. appointment on those days. I always get to them after 6:00p.m, what about, :6:35 or later. I f I could book appointments on Saturdays, I would, but I can't.. This has been going on for a long time, about a month. If this is needed my ID# is 871730. Thank You
 26th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
i have been having problems with the service and have lodged complaints and nothing has been
done . my huband is on dialysis and was told to try and find another way or the disapatcher is
just rude. i am at the end of the road is there anyone of authority that is willing to help.
 9th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
My mother had a pick up time of 6:41 pm in Brooklyn. I called at 6:15 to confirm the pick up and was told that the driver was indicating that he would be 10 minutes late but that I should call back at 6:40 which I did. When I called back I was told that it would be another hour. This continued several more times. At 7:40 when I called to confirm I was told the car would be there in 15 minutes. I asked my elderly mother who is legally blind and has had to strokes to go down to the street to wait for the car. Ar 8:10 I got a call from my mom saying the car had still not shown up. When I tried to call back I was disconnected twice. My mother had to finally take car service home. She got home at 9:30 at which time she was called and asked if she still needed a car. Access a ride needs to look into the contractors it uses. his is a service for the disabled and the elderly, there is no excuse for this.
 14th of May, 2015 by    +1 Votes
Access a ride is driving me nuts. I am in a manual wheelchair my entire life and unfortunately I need access a ride to travel to my destinations. For the past year, I have given instructions for the vehicle to come into the complex and pick me up because I live in the middle of two buildings and to get to the street its a long push. Lately they have done as instructed, but now all of a sudden there are a few drivers that have a problem following SIMPLE instructions. SO I have to keep calling to make sure they know what to do and at times it goes good and as of late it hasnt. Today and 2 days ago, I had to go to an important appointment and got left behind, The other day the driver refused to come get me inside the complex and left, Then today May 14th, 2015, the driver was at the wrong part of my block and claimed there were "barriers" and couldnt get in. SO I GOT LEFT BEHIND. This is causing me alot of stress because I am missing appointments that are for my health. Access a ride thinks that this is a joke but its not and its not fair, Can someone help me?
 17th of Jul, 2015 by    +1 Votes
My complaint is about the eligibility process. I recently had to rectify in January.A month before Dec. 2014 my service was denied. I appeal it In February my new eligible was received. I was approve but only for 4 months. In June I had to apply again. My new eligibility was basically the same. I reapply in June as instructed and just received a new eligibly. this week .This time with a completely different result. I am a senior with chronic joint disease of my knees and hip. I also have lower lumbar spine issues and problems with disk on my spine. My mobility has gotten worse and is documented from my doctors. Instead of getting service reflecting these issues. These services has decreased. My new status under their guidelines are restricted walking 1 too 2 blocks cold and stairs. They expect me to take a train from a station with elevators. In the past when I was younger these elevators would go out of service. So if this happens during a trip how do I navigate 2 flights of stairs if I can barely walk up or down one. Another issues is I cannot stand long periods of time. Our trains are crowed so I would have to stand for a longer period of time. My pain doctor has stated in his letter too them that these kind of activities aggravates my condition.When that happens I can barely walk the pain is on a scale of ten.This service effect the quality of my life. It means that the things that I have to do will be limited. My social life will change. I have a 81 year old mother who lives in the bronx I live in Brooklyn. During the Christmas holidays I had to take a cab to a express bus. The cab fare round trip cost me $40. Express bus $10 round trip. As a senior on a fix income I would not be able to afford this expense. I am her only child, she depends on me for various things this will effect my responsibly.
 5th of Feb, 2016 by    +1 Votes
my husband is dealing with Broker Services my major complaint is when the weather is bad there should be someone calling these customers to notify them that there will be a delay. my husband is on dialysis by the time he comes off the machines and then has to wait one to two hours for a ride and I am constantly calling and they are telling me 15 more minutes your driver is on his way. that is totally unfair to the clients. today I was told that it would be at least another hour before he would be serviced I call access a ride and was told the same thing. its a shame when you pay all of these taxes and when it comes to the time when we need these services they are so hard to come by. always a problem excuses excuses we don't matter. so we should just say the hell with it and continue life and wait until we die. maybe then we will get that ride on time
 5th of Feb, 2016 by    +1 Votes
For a service that is supposed to cater to the disabled, MTA's access-a-ride service is a joke. Instead of servicing the disabled, they abuse the disabled. Last evening, I had a scheduled 5:18 pm pick-up I was outside with my PCA at 5:10 pm. For the next hour, I was continuously on the phine with access=a-ride trying to locate my driver. I was consistently told he was he way to you, he is on site( he wasn't) At 6:10, I was told that I was listed as a no-show and that all I could do was dispute the no show. At 7:45, I was picked up by a rescue vehicle. By that time, IK was tired, cold hungry and wet and in pain. MTA takes advantage of the fact that few in the disabled community are in a position to fight back. I am. I am considering a class action on behalf if myself and all others similarly situated.
 9th of Feb, 2016 by    +2 Votes
This system is flawed. Access a ride obtains all these middle men called Brokers which they hand the request for the days too. This Broker hands the call over to a local car Service which then dispatches a Car Not at the convenience of the client but, at the Convenience of their employees. My mother requested a car for the next morning 7:32 am pick up in Brooklyn, for a 8:45 am appointment in Manhattan. From 7:32 am that the pickup was scheduled for it was already 8:40 am and my mother was still sitting outside in 24 degrees weather. She called Four (4) times the cab company that she was assigned for this ride and last call after holding 30 min on the line they told her that the cab would arrive at 9:45 am this making her very later for her scheduled Medical appointment. Cab company offered no explanation for delay at which time she cancelled the call and walked to the subway still arriving later to her appointment and graciously enough the hospital still honored her appointment which is not the case every time. Access a ride needs better options for these elderly people I believe their are too many middle men handling the service. Everyone just wants to get paid but, they do not want to provide the service they are hired to do. I believe we should all start calling Help Me Howard on Pix 11 212-210-2490 to shed some light on these problems or start making people aware of this ongoing poor Service. Please help.
 4th of May, 2016 by    0 Votes
Been taking them for 4 years. Horrible service!! Caused me constant stress in my life from extreme lateness to crazy drivers who are often unprofessional. They took over a month to reply to my complaints and did nothing. I cant count how many times I have called to make sure they are on their way/can find me and the drivers leave because I'm their last pickup and they want to go home. It takes about an hour for them to even find you a new ride and another hr for them to get to you, (who knows what time you get home) yet they want you to wait outside in the snow. For the FEW (like 2) times a month it works out smoothly I'm grateful and always compliment the driver.
 18th of Jul, 2016 by    0 Votes
On July 17, at approx. 9:40am by Lidig ave in the Bronx I was walking up the street I witnessed a Access a Ride driver taking an elderly woman with a walker out of the van when he saw a woman walking in the opposite direction he immediately extended his visual by walking to the corner of the block and leaving the woman on her own. He returned a minute after ensuring that the woman was steady on her feet. I said to him "that's not good turning away from a client to look at a--... it takes a moment for someone to fall" his response to me was "mind your business" I have managed nursing homes and work with the elderly population for 14 years. I've always emphasized the importance of client safety. The young could have said Ms, you are correct simply
thank you... Instead he said " mind your business "not once but twice.. This is the value that some young people put on their responsibilities. The very sad part is that he was responsible for another human being, it could have been someone's grandmother, mother, sister etc. On too many occasions the elderly have suffered falls in the hands of careless individuals while some recover others don't. There really should more supervision on the road.
 1st of Dec, 2016 by    0 Votes
Informative analysis ! Just to add my thoughts if you are wanting a NY Acces-a-Ride Service Application, my business partner edited a fillable form here https://goo.gl/oCDPnp.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree