Poor Service

New York, New York
On Wednesday, 09/16/09, my mother made an appointment with Access-A-Ride for Thursday, 09/17/09 at 9:00 am to go to 1916 Park Ave in Harlem and then from there to 2 Lafayette Street in Manhattan. However, she could not go to 2 Lafayette Street in Manhattan because she was not feeling well. I called and explained to Access-A-Ride that my mother was not feeling well and that she cannot go to 2 Lafayette Street in Manhattan. Instead, she would like to go home. Access-A-Ride indicated to me that their policy is that if one makes an appointment to go to a certain destination, he/she cannot changed his/her mind to go to another destination for any reason. Access-A-Ride emphasize that they have to abide by their policy, and that cannot be changed.

Access-A-Ride was to return to 1916 Park Ave at 11:50 am, but no one came until 1:10 pm. When Access-A-Ride came, the driver was told to stop at the nearest train station, which was at 125th Street station in Harlem. I am extremely upset because they don't think about the well being of the customer, but about policy.

This was a very bad service. Can anything be done?
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Public Transportation & Taxi
Was the above complaint useful?

29th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
I understand and have been more than distress by this service myself. Just recently in the rain I was kept waiting an 1 hour over pick up time which includes 30 minute window, over and over I was told the driver would be there in 15 minutes. I was hurting, hungry and tired!!!
 6th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
My husband and myself have been denied twice by Access a Ride. He is on registry for transplant for 3 years. We have no money for taxies. Because of Nephrology problems he has a host of of other problems. It is painful to walk anywhere because of the neuropathy. He also has curbside eye weakness (two surgeries), hypertension with complications. The quality of life his diminished. He has had diabetes for 50 long years. People at Access a ride look at you and decide your fate. I am afraid without your service, he is missing doctor appointments-which can lead to losing his limbs and LIFE . He has end stage renal failure. PLEASE HELP!!!
 18th of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
This is the worst car service! It is a shame that people who depend on this transportation, who do not have other means of affordable transportation to be subjected to this kind of service. The majority of the persons using this service are either elderly, disabled or have health issues. I am a PCA who has accompanied a woman, which whom is receiving chemotherapy, to her treatments and we use this service. These has not been one trip that not has been faltered in some way. On one occasion the driver arrived at the address slowed down and did not stop in front of the pick location, he continued to go. The woman explained that she saw him from her window. When she called, they informed her that the driver said no one was waiting for him so he left. On our most recent event, They are not punctual at all. As I mentioned earlier, the persons that use this service are our elderly, disabled or are dealing with some health issues why then would you tell them you'll be there at a certain time and then show up 30 minutes later ... it is unfortunate that persons with those conditions to be waiting as long as they do. The other issues, which can be even more frustrating, is that the customer service at Access-a-ride is really horrible. They sound really unhappy with there work and it reflects when you speak with them on the phone. They customer service operators give attitude, do not explain things clearly and I have had experiences with them where the phone is hung up even before I finish. This program was created to assist those who needed transportation that do not otherwise have the means for other modes of transportation and it is poorly services and poorly organized. Whomever is managing this so called service she really analyze what in fact people are receiving!
 1st of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
On 5/31/2013 Access-A-Ride was suppose to pick me up to take me from Yonkers, N.Y. to the Bronx, N.Y. on 5/31/13 at 8:18 P.M., which they did, no problem. On the return, they was suppose to pick me up on 6/1/13 at 12:30 A.M. Please note the dates and time (which may have been the confusion) which I made specific when I made my reservation, P.M. and A.M. Needless to say they did not show up for my return. I really can't believe that this service can actually do business this way. If the tables were turned, and you are not present when they come to pick you up, there are all types of penalties. I really think that those that run this service, need some extensive training, because obviously they don't know what their doing.
 19th of Jun, 2013 by    0 Votes
My complaint is about getting to my doctors apointments on time. My doctors gave me a 5:30p.m. apointment on Tuesdays and Fridays. I seem to have never to make it on time with access a ride service. Then both of my doctor gave me a 6:00p.m. appointment on those days. I always get to them after 6:00p.m, what about, :6:35 or later. I f I could book appointments on Saturdays, I would, but I can't.. This has been going on for a long time, about a month. If this is needed my ID# is 871730. Thank You
 26th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
i have been having problems with the service and have lodged complaints and nothing has been
done . my huband is on dialysis and was told to try and find another way or the disapatcher is
just rude. i am at the end of the road is there anyone of authority that is willing to help.
 9th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
My mother had a pick up time of 6:41 pm in Brooklyn. I called at 6:15 to confirm the pick up and was told that the driver was indicating that he would be 10 minutes late but that I should call back at 6:40 which I did. When I called back I was told that it would be another hour. This continued several more times. At 7:40 when I called to confirm I was told the car would be there in 15 minutes. I asked my elderly mother who is legally blind and has had to strokes to go down to the street to wait for the car. Ar 8:10 I got a call from my mom saying the car had still not shown up. When I tried to call back I was disconnected twice. My mother had to finally take car service home. She got home at 9:30 at which time she was called and asked if she still needed a car. Access a ride needs to look into the contractors it uses. his is a service for the disabled and the elderly, there is no excuse for this.
 14th of May, 2015 by    0 Votes
Access a ride is driving me nuts. I am in a manual wheelchair my entire life and unfortunately I need access a ride to travel to my destinations. For the past year, I have given instructions for the vehicle to come into the complex and pick me up because I live in the middle of two buildings and to get to the street its a long push. Lately they have done as instructed, but now all of a sudden there are a few drivers that have a problem following SIMPLE instructions. SO I have to keep calling to make sure they know what to do and at times it goes good and as of late it hasnt. Today and 2 days ago, I had to go to an important appointment and got left behind, The other day the driver refused to come get me inside the complex and left, Then today May 14th, 2015, the driver was at the wrong part of my block and claimed there were "barriers" and couldnt get in. SO I GOT LEFT BEHIND. This is causing me alot of stress because I am missing appointments that are for my health. Access a ride thinks that this is a joke but its not and its not fair, Can someone help me?
 17th of Jul, 2015 by    0 Votes
My complaint is about the eligibility process. I recently had to rectify in January.A month before Dec. 2014 my service was denied. I appeal it In February my new eligible was received. I was approve but only for 4 months. In June I had to apply again. My new eligibility was basically the same. I reapply in June as instructed and just received a new eligibly. this week .This time with a completely different result. I am a senior with chronic joint disease of my knees and hip. I also have lower lumbar spine issues and problems with disk on my spine. My mobility has gotten worse and is documented from my doctors. Instead of getting service reflecting these issues. These services has decreased. My new status under their guidelines are restricted walking 1 too 2 blocks cold and stairs. They expect me to take a train from a station with elevators. In the past when I was younger these elevators would go out of service. So if this happens during a trip how do I navigate 2 flights of stairs if I can barely walk up or down one. Another issues is I cannot stand long periods of time. Our trains are crowed so I would have to stand for a longer period of time. My pain doctor has stated in his letter too them that these kind of activities aggravates my condition.When that happens I can barely walk the pain is on a scale of ten.This service effect the quality of my life. It means that the things that I have to do will be limited. My social life will change. I have a 81 year old mother who lives in the bronx I live in Brooklyn. During the Christmas holidays I had to take a cab to a express bus. The cab fare round trip cost me $40. Express bus $10 round trip. As a senior on a fix income I would not be able to afford this expense. I am her only child, she depends on me for various things this will effect my responsibly.

Contact Us