logo

Wrong information on ID Card

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

AAFES Complaints & Reviews - Took all my tax refund that I desperatly needed.

AAFES Contacts & Informations

AAFES

Posted:    bmathis

Took all my tax refund that I desperatly needed.

AAFES
I purchased a laptop from aafes I started paying it then lost my job. And tried to work out a deal with them them. Never recieved any bills or anything. Now they took out all my tax refund. Which I desperatly needed for another bill.
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Mar, 2009 by   CALIFORNIA 0 Votes
AAFES did the same thing to me. They are part of the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) and they have the authority to Offset any type of Federal Payment. The only silver lining is that you will be able to receive your State Income tax return. AAFES can't touch that.
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   judgenjury 0 Votes
Hey! How about you deadbeats paying your bills instead of trash talking about how companies have to go out of their way to collect money YOU OWE THEM!! You shouldn't have incurred another debt knowing that you still owed the money.

The truth is; you thought you had gotten away without having to pay. Once you were faced with the fact that the company found another way to collect your debt you felt cheated out of the swindle you had already believed you'd gotten away with.

Both of you need to GROW UP and pay your bills!
 25th of Aug, 2009 by   MAD2DA FIFTH 0 Votes
THEY GOT ME TOO ! BUT THE ACCOUNT IS FRAUD SO I WROTE THE WHITE HOSE AND GONNA KEEP WRITING TO INFORM OUR PRESIDENT THAT OUR MILITARY CANT BE TRUSTED! I HAVE NO TIE TO THE MILITARY BUT HAVE AN ACCOUNT OWING CLOSE TO 3000USD! MESSED UP AND IM NEVER FILING TAXES AGAIN DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEY KEEP TAKING MY MONEY AND I WAS NEVER IN ANY BRANCH. I HATE THE MILITARY THEY ARE A SORRY GROUP OF LIES!!! IM TAKING THEM TO FEDERAL COURT FOR MINE. SEND EMAILS OF YOUR COMPLAINTS TO ME BECAUSE WE WANT TO WIN THIS SUIT AND WE WILL HAVE THEM IN DEBT. MY CREDIT IS HORRIFIC DUE TO AAFES. MY LIFE IS MESSED UP! GOVERNMENT STEALING IDENTITY, ONLY IN AMERICA, HOME OF THE FREE TO DO WHAT WE LIKE GOVERNMENT! TIESHA21LEGAL@YAHOO.COM SEND COMPLAINTS! WE GONNA WIN LIKE THAT CHIC @ MICKEY D'S WITH THE COFFEE, MULTI MILLON DOLLAR SUIT!
 19th of Feb, 2010 by   iknowthisman +1 Votes
Your post is about a year old bud but, I have somthing to say about Afafes that judge and jury doesnt know.

AAFES is breaking the law and since it is part of the dop its going to continue to.

They are Frying peoples credit scores long after the 10 year contract with them is over with.

They are collecting The amount the people owe them 10x over and using late fees and intrest on closed accounts even after they have been closed or inactive for periods of 5-10 years.

Let me break this down to you. You owed affes 500 dollars. It was dilinquent 12 years 2 years after the contract was serviced to be ended any way and the account has been inactive for 11 years.

In that 11 years they have collected the 500 dollars from your taxes and 1500 dollars in fees and intrest (on the fees and intrest also). They have collected 22, 000 dollars from your taxes for an original debt of 500 and are still saying you owe them money.

They been garnishing my wages over 9 years I owed them 2, 000 and they have recieved that 2000 dollars and another 3500 ever year and continue to take my wages. For a debt that should have paid with first tax return. Not all 9 years takin ever penny I got thier intrest and fees- is is 150% what original debt was and they take it then create a new debt on your credit report with intrest and fees on your intrest and fees and continue to collect even after the total has been pain 4x in acess. Its against the law for any other place to do this but since they are with the dop they are lawless lmao no read this.

gl
 1st of Mar, 2010 by   armywife0923 0 Votes
We just found out today that they are taking what we owe out of our taxes, but they are taking are full return and said that we get they dont use. We have over 2000 coming back and only owe them 800! We was making payments and were planning on paying off the star card with the tax return, just pissed that they are doing it this way! What will stop them from taking all of it and claiming that it was just extra fees? On top of this, AAFES, I work for them for a little while and never got a time card, the store mgr just wrote down the hours for me. Well last pay period I got just $100, and now this time..NOTHING! I called AAFES h.r. today to ask where rest of my pay is and I got them telling me that they would see if there was any proof I worked the hours I gave them, then if not they might settle and give me a small amount of WHAT THEY OWE ME or I could try to get a lawyer and get the money they owe me, but he said that wont happen and it would be just a waste!
 4th of Mar, 2011 by   bicheybabe 0 Votes
AAFES just garneshed my taxes from a claim they said i owe in 2001.I paid off my star card at the exchange in cash and told them i wont use it to close the account.Then I moved from Cali.to PA They said they were sendind notices to the cali address and in 2004 they said they sent me a letter informing me they were going to take my taxes if i dont pay.They sent that letter they said to the address in cali.I said .well i did not live there.I lived in pa since 2001 .(the collections department)Said well you should have called us .HELLO I just told you I paid the card off but yet i was suppose to call them to tell them i moved.So anyway the only reason I found out that they said I owed them money was a letter was sent here saying I owe them 4000$.WHAT!!!UUmmm it took 9 years and 7 months to find me in pa and 10 years to take my taxes .But she said well if you can show proff you paid .Hello who keeps something like that for 10 years when i had no idea they were even saying i owed them money.I could have fought this years ago now i have no proff So they just get to do what they want.WTF!!!
 9th of Feb, 2012 by   mzkisha32 0 Votes
My ex husband is in the military and he owes them nothing! They had the nerve to take my whole tax refund and I dont know why. They messing with the right person because I WILL handle this. I will get a lawyer to fight this. They took $8, 000 from me!! I need that money. I have kids tocare for. The sad thing is I have no idea why they took it and neither does my ex husband.
 17th of Feb, 2012 by   user00012 +1 Votes
Well its a cruel world were nobody cares about the welfare of one or another. Even if you owe them money because you seperated the military and couldn't pay it off before you left, they should be a little more considerate as everybody has thier own reason why it hasn't been paid off yet. Some people try to make a break for it, other people don't make enough money to handle another bill payment. Some people in todays economy especially don't have jobs when they seperate the military and can not collect any federal assistance. I thought when I left the Air Force cripled for life no thanks to Minot, I had a good job with lockheed martin I was going to make everything right. Unseen I lost my job as the contract was terminated so they could replace us with government GS positions, my supervisor was an asshole who failed to do his job. I had debt i need to pay off and have been unemployed for over 8 months can not find work anywhere my only chance to change anything in my life was my federal refund which AAFES took and now my car sits with a busted windshield finally got hired for a job but now cant drive my car because can not afford to replace windshield to drive 3 hours to training, my insurance is about to cancel. Everything could have been fixed and without warning my life takes a drastic turn from bad to worst. So in my oppinion this country is a bunch of selfess greedy bastards i am no longer patriotic to this country, ten years all i end up is broken, unemployed and left to rot. So hope this country burns to the ground everytime i try to stand up somebody is kicking me down. This will be my only and last acknowledgment on any other matter.
 2nd of Apr, 2013 by   trident2963 0 Votes
AAFES stole my money too.

They violated several US Code laws to include the Fair Debt Collection Act.

These are not isolated stories, I have been researching and finding many AAFES Horror Stories.

Write your senators like I did, write the president...write AAFES IG...let them know that AAFES is a rogue and dangerous agency.

No other "private company" in the world is allowed to "garnish" and "offset" without due process.

I requested a hearing to verify the validity of the debt. I got a letter back stating the date of the hearing and instructions...ect...4 days later they took $4000 right out of my bank account.

This is the enemy, veterans deal with after we get back from war.

AAFES must go.
 19th of Dec, 2013 by   Militarywife423 0 Votes
Im concerned because i just had fraudulent charges come up on my star card. Im hoping they can find the person that did this and also re imburse me the money. Has anyone else had this same problem?
 27th of Feb, 2014 by   MadArmyMom 0 Votes
How can we stop this? My son legitimately owes a debt to AAFES. I believe, after this last tax refund payment, it's at about $300.00. Can he contact them, pay the balance due and get something from them to document that the debt has been satisfied? Then do we just have to wait to see if it gets taken again and then go hire a lawyer? Can the Veterans association help at all with this potential dilemma?
 30th of Jul, 2014 by   crowbar38 0 Votes
I am now going through the same thing as well. They do not care about current or veteran military members. All they want is money and they found the perfect way to get it with no way of you stopping them short of bankruptcy if you even have a chance to file before finding out they are taking or already taken your money without notice! I served 13 years in the Air Force before being medically discharged(which I was given a 20% rating just under 30% needed for retirement benefits) and now at 60% from the VA with 5 conditions with claims still processing. I was given a roughly $71, 000 severance pay which was around 52, 000 after they taxed it. After filing my first set of VA claims and being awarded the 60%, found out the hard way that I had to basically repay that back to the government with my VA benefits. I am only getting $463 out of $1071 until 2017 and have just had to leave my job with USPS because of my medical issues. I have racked up a huge pile of medical debts the VA will not pay for because I had to go to a non-VA facility on several occasions for ER issues and hospital stay because the closest VA hospital is over a hour and half away.. I filed an amended return for the taxes they took out under the St. Clair provisions which really changes it to non-taxable disability and was suppose to be getting a little over $18, 000 back they took out in taxes on it. WELL, I JUST FOUND OUT MY AAFES STAR CARD WAS NOT PAID OFF WITH MY LAST EARNING LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE AND I NEVER RECEIVED A NOTICE UNTIL IT WAS "OFFSET" OUT OF MY TAXES BY TAKING ALMOST $11, 000 OF MY SEVERANCE PAY TAX RECOUPMENT!!!. I also had to pay DFAS back my travel pay because the paperwork kept getting "lost" even though I sent all documentation to 3 different Air Force bases and finally a legal office for collection. I never heard a response back from them and they took the money out of my refund last year.. So, I basically left the AF after 13 years of service with nothing but my GI Bill and a BUNCH OF DEBT!!! They con young troops into getting the card, running it up and then most stay in so they can keep paying those bills and then when you get out take every penny they can out of you EVEN IF IT WILL MAKE A DISABLED OR VETERAN BROKE AND IN DEBT EVEN FURTHER. THANKS!!!

2011 Tax Changes