Wildwood InnUnacceptable Accomodations

P

I made a reservation at Wildwood springs on June 16, 2011, in which I paid for the hotel stay in full. At the time, the woman on the phone told me of their cancellation policy. Since I was to be in Estes Park Colorado for a family wedding, and I was sure that I was going to be there and not change my mind, I agreed.
Upon arrival, I checked in, signed the registration and went to the room. I stay in hotels for a living, and that is what one does. It is not customary to trek across the property to inspect the room and then return to the office before signing the registration.
Upon arrival at the room, I found it to be uninhabitable. The room was very hot, as it was a hot day. It had no air conditioning, and no cranks on the windows in which to open them up. I went and found the attendant, who informed me that they would not be providing window cranks, and that I would either have to dismantle the screen to operate the window, or step outside. The merchants list of amenities does not include air conditioning, that is true, but I assumed that they have it. I can’t recall ever staying in a hotel without air conditioning. The list of amenities doesn’t include running water, but I kind of assumed that had that as well. Not living in the mountains, I am not accustomed to places not having air conditioning, and when I enter a room in which it is too hot to remain, naturally, I wonder why there is no air conditioning and inoperable windows.
Further, the room was right on the parking lot at the entrance to the property, and a common area in which people gather to talk. Many people were talking directly outside the window. I needed sleep upon arrival, as I had been up all night traveling, and I needed a room that would have allowed me to do that.
We were to stay in one room the first night, and move to a different room the following night. Upon arrival, I was informed that the hot tub didn’t work in my room for the next two nights. One of the reasons we chose these accommodations was because there was a hot tub in the room. I was not informed prior to my arrival that the hot tub didn’t work.
Again, when I made the reservation, the woman on the phone - turns out it was the owner, was up front and adamant about the cancellation policy. It's pretty much that you can't cancel. it matters not that Wildwood Inn has a cancellation policy, as far as I'm concerned. It is my personal policy that I will not pay $200.00 a night for unacceptable accommodations. That should have been a red flag.
When i disputed the charge with VISA, the owner provided a signed receipt and told VISA them that I stayed there. That is a lie told by the owner. I did not stay there, and I have a receipt for the place that I scrambled to find at the last minute for my Estes Park weekend.

So, avoid the head ache. Stay away from this dump. The owner is a nasty lying woman, and the place is a not as advertised. Not worth the price charged, and certainly not worth the problems they have caused me in having to get rid of a VISA card that I have had for year, because one way or another, I will not pay for a place that I cannot stay.