Wild BlueService unreliable, support worst ever seen

M

My experience with wild blue for the first year was fair. That changed for the worst two weeks ago. First, they had an outage that affected their DNS - the DNS Server was available but unresponsive. My troubleshooting this with a “network explorer” tool was seen as hostile and my service was suspended at the same time they corrected the issue. A phone call to explain the issue got me back up the next day. The very next day after, their "Lerado" site went down hard and their support staff had no access to their own PC’s. They could not even take my information or provide me with a ticket number. I am told that someone cut some fiber. Once they figured that out, most everyone came back on line but me. The Satellite modem would not provide an IP address to any of my 3 PC’s. After nearly 20 hours (no, I am not kidding) on the phone with 6 support staff (tested every imaginable thing - from your lan cord is bad to your coax cable is damaged to your network card is bad), a decision was made to send a new modem. I was told that under no circumstances could this process be expedited. I offered to pay the overnight charges as it would be cheaper than commuting and they told me this was not possible. 5 days later, there was no package at my house. I called support seeking the tracking number and after some silence, was escalated to a “Brad” who told me the order was placed in the system incorrectly and never "went up for approval". I had to just laugh at this point. Brad promised to enter it correctly and thought that maybe I’d have it in 4 more days. He told me I'd been through enough and promised me a personal follow up the next day. He also said that despite being 1 month out of warranty, he'd ensure it was covered and not at my expense. At 4PM EST the next day, after receiving no follow-up from Brad, I called yet again. I asked for a supervisor and if you can believe this was transferred to an external scheduling company instead (after holding for 15 minutes). I asked this person to transfer me to a supervisor and she was unable to do so. She did transfer me to service. I asked again for a supervisor and was told that the only supervisor in their department was a HR manager. I eventually agreed to let service transfer me back to tech support again. After restating my business now the 4th time on the same call, I requested again a supervisor. This time, I got to speak to one – Mike. Mike researched the status of the order placed by Brad and explained that the order was denied by the procurement department (despite supports recommendation to replace it). At this point I am just a bit short on patience. Fortunately, Mike had the right personality to keep me cool. Mike was sure he could figure out the issue with the modem (it had also been stuck in a loop downloading firmware after each restart according to a call a week earlier). After commuting back to my home, Mike called right on time. Within an hour and through what I could only call black magic, the service seemed to be working (I am a network engineer by the way). I expressed concern to Mike about the slowness and he said that this was likely due to the time of day. I gave it some time. The next day, I ran 4 speed tests at speedtest.net and found that I had been throttled to 20kbps upload and about 128kbps download and with super high latency exceeding 1 second. I called support again (Friday before long weekend) and was escalated eventually to "Maureen" at level 2 support. She reviewed my account and asked me who I was sharing my service with. I explained that I live in the middle of the woods and have not done so. I asked her for examples. She cited examples of suspicious behavior that occurred at 3AM during the period that I had no service. She also determined that my bandwidth usage was well within average range. She thought that the LNB may have a problem. I explained that I had already replaced one that had a recall and did so at my expense during warranty period. She kindly wrote a letter to a "super secret" organization within the company called “Abuse” or [protected]@wildblue.net She requested that they consider lifting the restrictions. I explained that I VERY MUCH needed the service up for Tuesday to telecommute to a VERY important business meeting. My expectations were set that they may not get to this until Tuesday morning. Well, Tuesday came and went with no response and the meeting was a disaster with no high speed internet. They let me down again. I called in once more around 9AM to express urgency. I called again later that evening to express frustration and try to escalate once more. I was in a call queue for 56 minutes before my call was initially picked up. I know the hold music by heart and it is maddening! This time, the woman who handled the call said she’d forward the request to restore full speed to another department that her manager recommended so as to ensure prompt handling. I asked to be CC’d this time. When the note was sent, it was sent seemingly to the same place (above). I replied to all Wednesday morning to express my situation and to plea with the abuse folks. There was no response to my message. I sent another message seeking a simple acknowledgment (after all, what should I expect for $79 per month and $1,600 spent so far in 13 months?). This message went with no response. At 9PM the following day (now Wednesday, two weeks since the issue started), called support and held for 30 minutes before reaching Stephanie. I explained the situation (again) and asked her to check status of my account. After another 20 minutes, she was able to transfer me to another “level 2” support engineer. It was Maureen again! This time, Maureen did not seem so empathetic. I asked her how we escalate to a manager that has oversight over abuse. She said none existed – there was no escalation path – just service (remember they had an escalation path at an earlier call to an HR person and that was it!). I explained to Maureen that I wanted to terminate my service at this point because it would be cheaper to buy the Hughes equipment and have it installed in 2 days than to continue to commute each day. She placed me on hold and came back moments later to advise that service had left 45 minutes earlier (now on this call more that 1 hour).

This company is clearly VERY dysfunctional. They have an ineffective escalation process and a system with no oversight. They clearly are not sensitive to or interested in their customers’ needs. They need to understand that the communities they service are typically rural areas. There areas are typically wide spaced but tight knit. People talk and share their experience.

So here we are two weeks later and still, no results. Clearly, if my experience is representative of the company, you cannot possibly consider this company as a provider of a business or municipal class service never mind telecommuter. My experience is based upon a ton of data points and is not based upon a single call or interaction.

Please do not make the mistakes that I did!!!

More Wild Blue Complaints & Reviews

• La
    lazlofan123 Apr 08, 2011

DO NOT GET WILD BLUE!!! This is the worst speed i have ever seen ever ever ever EVER. Sometimes i just want to get a jackhammer and hammer the sh** out of our $400 dollar satellite. I. AM. NOT. SATISFIED. AT ALL. I forgot to mention, i have a ps3 account and when i try to play online, i just say SHI*. It is so terrible, i cant get anywhere without skipping across the map. Did i forget to say that it also says "CONNECTION INTERRUPTED" at the bottom of the screen! I want to change to another internet thing, but NOOOOOO. Its too late! We just cant throw away a 400 dollar satellite! Save yourselves if you haven't fallen into wildblue's shi*-covered hands!!!

• Kw
    KWS1949 Dec 22, 2010

Sad but true. I their "sales representative" that I did not want any kind of long term commitment as I do not know how long I'll be in this residence. Now the service is trash...I've had better luck..and better speeds..through some dial up companies. When I called Wild Blue to complain and ask about cancellation, what I got was "Wild Blue does not offer month by month packages." Perhaps they should inform their phone sales people. As it is, I'm going to have to bend over and take it in the wallet to dump this really crappy service!

• Wr
    wrubink Jul 11, 2010

We had Wildblue service for several years and found it barely adequate and quite expensive; however we live in a rural location and until recently it was really our only choice. When we weren't in the midst a rainstorm or other weather anomaly the Wildblue system gave us the basic service, but minimal upload and download speeds, and ping times, were abysmal. Recently broadband has become more accessible via cellphone providers, and we switched to the $60/month 5Gb service from Verizon (still a ripoff, but$ 35 cheaper and 10-100 times faster than Wildblue; plus it works in ALL weather!). If you don't have a need for moving huge amounts of data(watching movies, downloading reams of music files, etc), then it's worth dumping Wildblue for a cellular network related broadband service. It is a pity that the country that invented the Internet can't wake up and provide top-notch service to its citizens.

• Wr
    wrubink Jul 11, 2010

• To
    tonipugh May 14, 2010

I had wild blue for 11 months. I paid for a year of service. I had 227.00 credit when I canceled the service and knowing that I had a $190 cancellation fee, I was told I would get a refund. I canceled in February, this is May and I am being sent to collections for $188. I have spoken to 4 people and 3 of the 4 say I do not owe anything yet one does. I cannot get any straight answers and the hold time on customer service is crazy. Rude employees and not very knowledgeable.

• Ta
    Tall David Feb 12, 2010

Six pages of complaints & count me as number seven. I was introduced through Wild Blue via a friend. Who along with his parents didn't know how god awful this service is.

I was going to school at the time I got Wild Blue. It was early 08 I think. But I was told I'd be charged a one time set up fee of 183 dollars, and then I could finance my modem at 54 a month and tax would make it 61. Which isn't bad even though when I had Com Cast it was 45.99 and I loved the cable.

Anyway even though I could have paid off Com Cast, and let me tell you I wish I did. I ended up going with Wild Blue. They guy even offered me a job but since I was going to school for Heating & Air its not like I needed a ### job with them. So for the first 6 months this Wild Blue was amazing. I've had it go up & down but never slowed to dial up which I was told could happen but as long as I had standard email and the general browsing I'd be fine. Now Wild Blue is slower than Christmas. I honestly could run circles around their service.

I hate that it goes out whenever it rains, and it seems if I sneeze my net goes out. The dependability of this is really horrible. I'm hoping to get a tech on support to find out how much it is to cancel because if I cannot get a direct response I'm going to do it the old fashioned way, and they can let my account sit without any more activity. Either way they are getting canceled.

• Da
    david chester Dec 18, 2009

they do suck! they take my payment out of my bank one day then advise me the FOLLOWING day that my bill is ready. they also pick their days to charge you, i have overdrawn my bank account twice due to them withdrawing my funds a couple of days before payday.

• Co
    coupdegrac Dec 07, 2009

I was informed that Management would return my call in 24 hours and I have called every day since (over a week ago today). I have left many messages and I still have not heard back. I am not impressed with the company thus far, I wish to have my hundred dollar deposit returned in full, and the package of WildBlue equipment picked up. I have been treated unfairly and I have not signed any contracts; they refuse to let me cancel my services without forfeiting fifty of the hundred dollars.

• Mo
    MommaStob Sep 28, 2009

Besides all the complaints that I've read, they don't tell you that all it has to do is sprinkle a little for you to lose service! This is the most expensive worthless crap that I've ever had the misfortune to use!!! And they don't tell you how unreliable it is. They should be required to provide dial-up service free of charge for their customers to use when their freaking service goes out while you're doing something important!

• Sh
    shelleyrenee2387 Jul 27, 2009

I called to cancel the lousy wildblue service after holding onto the service for a measily eight months. They charged my bank account 238.75 after I told them not to take any more out. This is illegal and this company needs to take fault with their actions. I will put a warning out everywhere to let consumers know not to buy wildblue, not to buy any. Dial up is far better speed and at least you won't get screwed. I hope that someone will help us.

Sasha Mar 28, 2009

Wild Blue is a horrible company! I would urge anyone thinking of using their services not to! They are rude, they lie and they charged me a restocking fee after telling me that I would not be charged anything since it was not my fault that I could not get the services. I signed up for wild blue internet services about two months ago. It took them a month to get someone to our home to set up the dish. When the installer got to our home he informed us that he could not install the dish because of our roof is not the right material. He spoke to someone on the phone at wild blue and then told us we would not be charged any fees if we sent the dish back and canceled our services. We did and a month later we were charged $53.20 as a restocking fee. I called and spoke to a man at Wild Blue. He told me that the charge would be refunded. The charge was taken off and then recharged. When I called them again they said that my refund was denied because they did not believe that I was told I would not be charged. The woman I spoke with was very rude! She would not listen to anything I told her and kept saying that my refund was denied! Their customer service is a joke. They are extremely rude!

• Fr
    Francine Mar 01, 2008

Just wanted to ask if you ever got any satisfaction?
    Did you change to Hughesnet? I'm seeing some really bad feedback about them.

I was fine with WildBlue, until the google transition. What a joke. Over an hour waiting for help and they had none to give. I can't use my email program, mail is coming in sporadically, and there is no relief in site. Google took over and now I have ads on my email page. I hate reading my mail on the net.

Well, I hope you finally got some results. I hope we never have that problem here.

Where is ComCast when we need them?

Francine Hill

• Je
    Jesse Osborne Jan 17, 2008

Wild Blue and any other satallite internet provider are f*cking b*stards. You cant get out of the contract unless they are obligating their agreement with you, to provide you with internet service. That is the bare minimum they have to do. They dont have to give you 512 Kbps, because its UP TO . They can put you at 50 Kbps andtheir is nothing you can do. Its a scam. I would recommend no one getting satalite internet. Stick with dial up. Its a LOT cheaper, has no contract, and isnt that much slower than satalite for anything other than downloading large files. Id rather go a little slower and save myself the stress and the extra 40 dollars a month.

• To
    Todd Edwards Dec 15, 2007

It is bad that you are having the problems, I wish that you were in our market so I could FIX your problem.

I am a WILD BLUE DEALER. The complaint that you have is probably due to a POOR INSTALL. The dish must be pointed DIRECTLY at the satellite and FINE TUNED for the best reception. If it is pole mounted, it needs to be a WILD BLUE APPROVED POLE. The install makes a BIG DIFFRENCE between service working and not working.

networkseast.com

• Da
    David Ingram Oct 13, 2007

Three months ago I canceled my account with Wildblue because it quit working. I called their customer service line to report it and it took 37 minutes to get a person on the phone. I know it was 37 minutes because my phone has a timer and after the first 15 minutes I started watching. The tech told me that they were having a system wide problem and they would have it fixed soon.

I waited a week and called again. It took me roughly the same amount of time to get a tech on the phone. She told me that since I did not file an official outage report with them they would not credit me for the week of lost service. She also told me they would charge me $85 to come out and check my service.

I canceled at this point. Fortunately I canceled my credit card that I was using on the account. They continued to harass me with bills saying I owe them for two months service.

I kept calling their collections department at [protected] and not one time did I get a human on the phone. When telling this story to people I challenge them to call this line and try to get a real person on the line. It’s not an exaggeration; you cannot ever reach a real person.

If I had not canceled my VISA they would have just taken the money. Keep in mind this is after months and months of very bad service. It is fortunate for me the company I work for had a dial up internet account for its employees use. At least I had some way to get on the internet every time Wildblue was down.

I am 42 years old, the father of 6 children and the owner of my own company. Wildblue is the absolute worse internet provider I have ever used since the early 1990’s when I first started using the internet.

• Dm
    D. Miller Sep 15, 2007

I am in a rural area of the flatlands of Kansas where cable and DSL are not available. I had Wild Blue internet service installed 3 months ago. I have waited to complain hoping it would improve since I have called tech. support numerous time with complaints. Needless to say it has not improved at all, in fact it seems to be getting worse. My first call to set up an installment was horrible. The company's phone system was so bad I could hardly hear or understand the person I was talking with. The person was very rude and not helpful at all. That should have been my first clue that this company technically challenged. I got the installment scheduled, they deducted the equipment charge from my bank account but no one showed to do the installation. This really made me question the decision to go with this company. I did finally get the equipment installed. I was very disappointed in the internet speed... it was not much if any faster than my dial up had been. The first week I had the service it was down more than it was up. Of course when I called tech support they blamed it on the weather which is what they have done every time I have called. I have called three different times about not receiving email. This has to be the biggest rip off ever. I have started documenting the times I am without service so that I can present it to an attorney if need be. I would think with all the complaints I have read online about this company there should be some way to do a class action suit or something along those lines. I really hate the fact that I am paying for a service that I do not have a lot of the time and that is no better than the dial up I was paying $19.00 a month for. If anyone knows of a way to get out of this contract, please let me know.

• Sh
    Sheri Ashmead Aug 13, 2007

This is quite possibly the worst internet service experience I have ever had to deal with. Connectivity is about 50 %, speed is often slower than dial up! Oh they promise speeds up to 512mbps, take note of the part where it says "up to"., I have never had better than 100. Tech support is completely incompetent, if you are lucky enough to actually get a hold of them without having to wait on hold for over an hour. I am kicking myself for signing this contract! If you are even considering satellite internet service don't do it! If you are fortunate enough to have cable or DSL available, don't even think of this garbage for a second! If, like me, you have no high speed options, save the $50 a month and over $200 equipment costs, I never thought I would hear myself say these words "You are better off with dial up"!

• Ab
    Abdul B. Jul 18, 2007

The Customer service at Wild Blue is horrible. I was placing an order then afterwards on the same call needed to cancel due to some of the terms and was placed in a Que for over 50 minutes with no answer. I called then on another line and was placed in another Que after talking with a customer service representative and ten being told the wait time 50 minutes again. That's why people off-shore the customer service the people in the US are horrible when they have to do some work.