Wickes Furniture / Wickes Building Supplies Logo

Wickes Furniture / Wickes Building Supplies

Having problems with Wickes Furniture / Wickes Building Supplies?

+44 330 123 4123 (Customer Service)
+44 344 892 2721 (Kitchen and Bathrooms Enquiries)
+44 345 271 7371 (Installation)
Lodge Way House, Lodge Way, Harlestone Road
Sat8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sun10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

Stay away

I ordered 40 lengths of deck board 3.6m x 140mm x 28mm on 8th July 2010.

I paid extra for Saturday delivery and it arrived on the first available Saturday, so it was a good start but since then everything has gone horribly wrong.

Only six of the original boards were of any good, so they were:
1) almost straight - not arcing by a deviation of more than 5mm per metre length
2) not significantly bowed
3) not split in places other than perhaps at one or both ends
4) inspected to have less than 5 knots per metre length
5) not damaged or broken in other ways such as being cut/warped by retaining straps
6) inspected to not have significant holes or gaps where knots had fallen out

The only reason why I bought from wickes is that part of my deck is already using their deck so I didnt want to have an inconsistent look to the surface.

I only ever buy the minimum amount of wood that I can work with or lay down to avoid warping whilst standing for more than a week or two.

34 pieces of wood had two or more of the above issues. You can imagine how shoddy this wood looked after I unpacked it.

I contacted Wickes Customer support (Becky) on 17th July and they told me it was i would be easier if I contacted the local delivery hub at St Albans and speak with them directly.

I understand that the depot staff may be busy, however after nine attempts to call them and being kept on hold for over 20minutes or just having the phone hang up on me, I started to get fed up. So a few days later I spoke with Matt who contacted the depot on my behalf and they promised to call me back. Still nothing happened. So after a few more days I spoke with Millie who did the same as Matt even though I asked her to agree a date to pick up the wood and deliver some replacement. My suggestion was declined.

So here I am again, on Saturday 7th August finding myself speaking to Chris in Wickes Customer support as I still cannot get through to the depot people. He said he would escalate to regional management, but I have no idea what that means and whether Ill get any resolution to my issue.

As far as Im concerned, this deck should be finished by now and I still need to order a further 20 lengths of deck.

All I can say is that despite how helpful Wickes Customer support tries to be, I just cannot get anything sorted.

Its worth noting that I have had my fingers burned by Wickes before when I bought some wood before which was bowed and cracked but was unable to resolve it with the manager in the Borehamwood branch in less than 30days as I couldnt find my receipts, so I was lumbered with (pardon the pun) over one hundred pounds of useless wood.

Poor Customer Service

No probelm with the item ordered. Very poor quality control over damaged goods leaving the warehouse. Waiting in for delivery of a damaged item, waited in further 2 days for 2nd delivery - again item in damaged condition. Advised deleivery would be following day. Delivery cancelled following day. Customer Service Team will not allow you to speak to a manager or escalate issue until delivery complete. No compensation offered for delays of fitting or time off work waiting around the house all day for non existent or damaged deliveries! This was our first time using Wickes and for the rest of our 2 current building projetcs will not be using them again.

Everything has gone horribly wrong

I ordered 40 lengths of deck board 3.6m x 140mm x 28mm on 8th July 2010.

Only six of the original boards were of any good, so they were:
2) not significantly bowed
3) not split in places other than perhaps at one or both ends
4) inspected to have less than 5 knots per metre length
6) inspected to not have significant holes or gaps where knots had fallen out

I am stuck with a 800.00 dollar bookcase thats has a damaged door

When the bookcase was delivered the installers put the sliding doors in upside down, needless to say it was hard sliding the doors.Which resuled in the door being scratched and the roller being broke. A repairman came out and tried to repair it, but said he needed to order a new door. Thats been since June, 06 and I still dont have the door. Ive e-mailed customer service and they, theyre trying to contact the maker of the bookcase to see when if they have a door in stock.In the meantime Im stuck with a 800.00 dollar bookcase thats has a damaged door. I would appreciate any help you can give me in this matter.

• Ac
    acher Mar 30, 2008

I agree that the customer service is horrid! i was wondering if anyone took their complaints to the Better Business Bureau or to your state's attorney General to help resolve the issues? perhaps they've not been feelin' the pain. There should be some recourse. have they no shame?!

annette alcantara Mar 04, 2011

I gave a $250 deposit for my furniture, months later I received a letter saying that the business was going out of business, and they were not able to give me my furniture. However they never gave me my $250 back.

Very poorly made furniture

On the 2nd of January, 2006, I began calling customer service to tell them that the sofa set was defective. The loveseat came unraveled at the top seam and has a 12" gap with filling exposed, other threads about to unravel. The sofa has one cushion seat with lighter, discolored fabric, the cushion seat and back are buckled with bad wrinkling of the fabric. The seat is about 1 and a half inches lower thsn the adjoining seat cushion due to the collapse of filling. In spite of leaving repeated messages for customer service to return my call (always got a voice message)they never did, so I went to the Pasadena, Ca. store to request assistance. The store clerk, Myrna, said she promised I would hear from them within 24 hours. I had to call her after 24 hours lapsed to tell her there was still no call from customer service. They finally called on the 10th, and told me I could not get a technician out to make a report until the 26th. They said the technician would report his findings and the matter would be resolved within 3 days. When I did not receive a call confirming the appointment, I called the store again and was told it was for the 27th, not the 26th. A technician did arrive on the 27th, took pictures and said it was obviously defective merchandise abd that it would be resolved in 4-5 days. When 5 days elapsed and I heard nothing, I called customer service again and spoke with Michelle. She told me I should have been told 7 to 10 days, not 4 to 5. She promised me she would have an answer for me within 24 hours. This was on February 2, 2006. I heard nothing. On February 4, 2006 I went to the Pasadena store and spoke with Xavier, who said he was the store manager. He told me he d have it resolved by Monday, February 6, 2006 at 1:00 pm. No response. I called Xavier twice that day, he told me he had emailed customer service twice and got no response, but would not be in the store again until the 9th, and would work on it then. I told him it was not acceptable. My husband called him back to request the contact name of a person at corporate level. He claimed he did not have a name but we could call the store on the 7th and ask Kelly for a name. Meanwhile I have badly defective merchandise on display in my living room with no resolution. I was told they would not refund, only exchange. I told them I did not want more poorly made furniture.

Useless warranty

Purchased kitchen set from Wickes and Stainsafe warranty. Purchased in October 2006. The set has upholsted chairs and tere are some stains and I wanted to ask what to do. I guess I know. The phone number is not answered, in fact it doesn't even ring.

Now Wickes is gone and so is Stainsafe (I guess) along with my warranty fee.

I thoght I was covered till 2013 not so!

Normally never ever buy an extended warranty but they caught me in a weak moment. This is the last time. Never again. I should have stuck to my policy of no special warranties.

Horrible mattress

We purchased a Sealy Posturpedic California King mattress set from Wickes furniture, the top of the line from...

Fraud

My husband and I purchased a reclining sofa and loveseat at Wickes Furniture in Murrieta, California in April 2006 which was delivered on May 9, 2006. When the furniture was delivered we discovered, at that time, that they delivered the wrong sofa (it did not recline) so the delivery people left it and said they would deliver the correct one in about a week.

Within two months time of delivery, we began to notice that the material (which had a raised nap) was starting to flatten down and get shiny in the area that I sat on. It was very obvious that it looked noticeably different from the rest of the sofa. Also, when the footrest was extended, all I could feel was bare wood on my feet on the edge as if they forgot to put padding there.

I started calling their so-called "customer service" people to complain and after waiting about three weeks they finally sent out a so-called "technician" to look at my complaint. He wrote down in his report that what he saw was normal "wear and tear". I was very upset at his evaluation and called "customer service" again. After going around and around with their "customer service" people they agreed to send out a different so-called "technician" which took another week or two. Of course he agreed with the first "technician" (and I use that term lightly). At that point my husband called and asked to speak to the "customer service manager". He said he would look into the matter and call us back. He never called!

I then wrote a letter to the president of Wickes in Wheeling, Illinois on January 8, 2007 telling him of our frustration with this problem and sent the letter certified, return receipt requested. It is now January 17, 2007 and until now have not heard a word from anyone at this company. Attached is a copy of that letter.

I'm stuck owing $$ on crap

I bought a dining room table less than a year ago. I need warranty
work done and can't find any avenue to make that happen. I find
it unreasonable that Wickes customers have no recourse other than to continue paying for faulty merchandise and defunct warranties.
If any avenue of resolution is ever found I would definitely like to know and participate.

• Ga
    Gary Butler Sep 25, 2008

I paid $336. for a 3 year protection plan and a 7 year leather protection plan for a sofa purchased from Wickes (less than a year ago). With them filing for bankruptcy, I guess I have no recourse with anyone.

Terrible experience

I purchased a Wickes combination couch and queen bed with two recliners in July 2007. We had a water heater leak and flooring and carpet had to be replaced so couch/bed was not delivered until September 15, 2007. I am still paying Citifinancial for this mess. All the bolts fell out of the bed and I had hip surgery and wanted the recliner. It takes a muscle man to get the recliner out and then someone has to push it back into place because I can't do it... I have tried to contact the number [protected] X 104 Wickes gave me to get the bed repaired by Simmons to no avail... all you get is an answering machine. I want to stop paying for this piece of crap but of course it will ruin my credit... I wish someone out there could help me.

Paid for Special Repellent-Coating..and it was Never applied

Just before purchasing my double recliner loveseat at Wickes, I was shown a "liquid repellant coating" that could be applied; and the product was demonstrated to me on some scrap material (the same meterial of which i was purchasing) and shown to be a very substantial repellant of liquid.

The cost was around $150, as I recall; and i did pay to have that repellant applied.

Several months later i spilled a glass of water on the furniture and the liquid was soaked up "as if by a sponge"!

I was extremely ill at the time and was not able to deal with Wickes re: the fact that they obviously had not applied the repellant coating.

Now they are going out of business! As such, there is no way to resolve this situation. I have no viable recourse.

It's no wonder they are going bankrupt!

~ Ann L. ~

• Ri
    RICH L. May 20, 2008

As a now ex-employee, the fabric treatment was through an outside source and your receipt would have their number on it... see Stainsafe. Good Luck, I hope this helps.

NOT HONORING WARRANTY

I JUST BOUGHT 2 RECLINERS FOR OVER 1400 DOLLARS FROM WICKES FURNITURE A YEAR AGO. BOTH CHAIRS BROKE ON THE...

Never Buy from Wickes

On 1/17/2008, I purchased a Pub Style Table with a leaf, and 4 Chairs. I had the Delivery scheduled for Feb. 7, 2008, but needed to reschedule due to appointment conflicts. I rescheduled the Delivery for Feb. 28, 2008. The furniture never arrived.
I called Wickes Customer Service on Feb. 28, 2008, only to be told my Pub Table and Chairs were discontinued, and did I know that Wickes had filed a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy on Feb. 5, 2008. I couldn't get through on any telephone numbers so I went to the Wickes Store in Henderson, Nv. I was told that I could file a claim on a website or try my credit card company. I also was told I could take the floor model which was scratched up, and the salesperson stated I only paid for 4 chairs and that is all they would give me. They stated they would be doing a liquidation on Sunday, and I would have to wait to get any compensation. This type of Business is unacceptable and unforgiveable to paying customers.

• Th
    Thadius Mar 01, 2008

I was just at a Wickes trying to get 2 more chairs for a set I own. The place was a complete madhouse, the lines with the salespeople was 10 deep each. Since you never took delivery, a credit card dispute is probably your route. Just wondering, who waits a month and a half to take delivery of paid for furniture?

Never ever buy at Wickes Furniture stores, you will regret it!

On 11/11/2007 we purchased over $5000.00 dollars worth of furniture from a wickes store in the city of...

The most uncaring company I've ever dealt with

Wickes Furniture
www.wickesfurniture.com

1500 S Randall Rd
Algonquin, IL 60102
[protected]

Unbelievable i purchased a couch and love seat 3 weeks ago from wicks furniture in algonquin, il. I was told the pieces were on back order and i could expect delivery on 10/05/07, on 10/04/07 at 3 pm the dispatch office calls me and says your furniture will be delivered between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm, at 7 pm they call me and tell me that the furniture i purchased was discontinued and i was not going to get it, all fine and good except for the fact that we had a big party on the 5 th (delivery date) all our old furniture had been discarded, so i call wicks and explained the situation i was in and all they could say is we are sorry sir and we can give you a 50 gift card from our store, and come into the store and pick out new furniture and we will deliver it when we can, so i guess my guests tonite are going to be sitting on the floor thanks to wicks and the way they handle problems like this i assure you i will sit on a tree stump before i ever purchase furniture from wicks furniture again and as of 230pm on 10/05/07 the problem has yet to be resolved go figure... So all my guest coming over tonite bring a folding chair and then send wicks a thank you card as i am going to.

• Ly
    lyssa schwarz Oct 16, 2007

Well, I hate to say it, but get used to it. I've been having problems with my Wickes purchase since the first delivery date, when they showed up without my sofa - it was on backorder, not that anyone bothered to tell us that.

They rescheduled a redelivery date; they showed up before that date with the couch, and tried to cram it into my house. They ripped the leather on my couch, then took it back to the warehouse and put a really horrific patch on it. They delivered it to my home again, and didn't unwrap it or mention that it had been repaired.

I hired a guy to bring the couch in my house, since the Wickes delivery men were so incompetent they couldn't do it. The guy I hired shows me the patch job; I tried to call Wickes before the couch was installed, and got disconnected numerous times. finally got through to someone at the store, who said they would send out a technician to see about replacing the pieces that were ripped.

I pointed out that it was leather, and you can't just replace a panel of leather. c/s insisted that the tech would come out and tell me what needed to be done. Okay - tech comes out and tells me I need a new couch. duh - why did we have to wait two weeks for a tech to come out and tell me something I already know?

Now I'm out of pocket for $170 to have the couch installed, which I'm willing to eat. But it's going to cost another $170 to have the couch removed for the replacement, and another $170 on top of that to have the new one put in. Why am I out $340 for an error made by the Wickes delivery people?

My advice would be to cancel the order before they deliver it.

Never order furniture from this store!

Here is list and description of what we have experienced. Some of this is in a letter sent to the customer...

Denied claim

I purchased a couch and chair in May of 2004. The salesperson pushed the warranty on us that would replace or repair "any damage" on the couch and chair. On May 27, 2006 I noticed cracking and peeling of the leather. Since Monday was Memorial Day, I had to wait to call about the warranty until Tuesday May 30. Stain safe is the warranty service contracted through Wickes Furniture and refused to uphold their warranty which would to be either to fix the couches or replace the couches. I tried several attempts to have Wickes customer service return my call to assist me. They never returned phone calls. I asked for Managers. They never returned phone calls, so I opened an initial complaint with the BBB. On June 20, I received a phone call from a Wickes representative stating that they will send a technician out to evaluate my couches and help resolve the warranty issues. I thought they might actually come through. Wickes came out on Tuesday June 27 to evaluate the couches. They told us they were going to get back to us in 5 business days. I had not heard from them so on July 12 I called for a status. They continued to say that it was normal wear and tear and denied the claim regardless of the fact that on the Stain Safe contract it says it covers "cracking and peeling after one year." I am now in the market for a new couch and will NOT be going to Wickes; neither will my parents, 6 brothers and sisters, 12 aunts and uncles, co-workers, ex-husband and his family, and my current in-laws. Wickes needs to re-evaluate their warranty company or they are going to start losing customers.

• Da
    danni Apr 05, 2008

I agree with the comments on bad customer service. We had to have a sofa replaced due to bad craftmanship. That was done (after many hours/days spent arguing), but when the delivery people delivered the merchandise, they ripped the shipping plastic off, whereby they ending up ripping off the button for the recliner control. I called the number given to me by the delivery person and they said they would send someone out. When someone actually came out they said they had the wrong part and had to take a picture of the part and would have to send out the part and when we rec'd it, they would come out and install it. Of course we never rec'd the part. After making numerous calls to their customer service (at Corporate) no one has called back.

No wander they are going out of business. At least I can sleep better knowing nobody else will fall victim to their poor practices and lack of customer service skills. Maybe there will be a few openings at the local DMV for these out of work Wickes Employees. They basically have the same attitude as a DMV employee!