Whiteoak FordBait and switch fraud

L Review updated:

I contacted Whiteoak Ford on Saturday October 31 about an advertised special on the internet. I spoke with Ray Kulchysky, a salesperson at the dealership and went through the line by line financing on the Ford F-150 pricing advertised. Ray said that they had vehicles in stock although colours were limited unless I went with the XLT package (an additional $2K).

Ray advised that the price would be available until end of day November 2. When I called today to make an appointment to view and purchase the vehicle, Ray advised that the vehicle was no longer available. When I pointed out that the vehicle was still advertised with the same price, ($24, 995), he said that there were no more available, and the best price he had was $28K for the same year, vehicle, and model.

I then spoke with sales manager Ben Cliff, and dealership co-owner Dave McQuillan. All said the same thing, that they couldn't honour the advertised deal.

I contacted Ford Canada because this "bait and switch" practice is appalling. Ford Canada was able to view the same advertised price on the internet, and also said that there was not too much they could do except contact the dealership and give them feedback.

I told Dave McQuillen that I would be contacting Ford Canada and he told me that they couldn't do anything. I believe this kind of response to consumer complaint is a problem. It seems to me that deceptive advertising practices are all too common and frankly, car dealerships have enough problems with perceived lack of integrity to perpetuate it in this obvious way. I've now done some searches to see if other consumers are having a similar experience and as one consumer says, "Go ahead and contact Ford Canada about the dealership. Nobody will care."

I'm concerned about this dealership and the lack of integrity. It looks like I'll be buying a GM, which is too bad, because all of my previous vehicles have been Fords. However, if a dealership behaves this way at the point of sale, I can't imagine how unfortunate the sales experience would be.

I wonder how many other people have been jerked around by this dealership and their bait and switch practices. I guess the internet has opened up a whole new way of doing business, where a dealership can post a price for a vehicle and then back out of it when asked to honour the internet price.

I'm concerned as a consumer that there is such limited recourse for these tactics. The dealership is not held accountable for their behaviour to Ford Canada. And, despite the millions and millions in advertising from Ford Canada on behalf of the dealership, there seems to be little consequence for advertising deception by the dealership.

As far as I'm concerned, Whiteoak Ford should have a new slogan, "We're People Too. Sometimes."

JadO95 Nov 02, 2009

I contacted Whiteoak Ford on Saturday October 31 about an advertised special on the internet. I spoke with Ray, a salesperson at the dealership and went through the line by line financing on the Ford F-150 pricing advertised. Ray said that they had vehicles in stock although colours were limited unless I went with the XLT package (an additional $2K).

I then spoke with sales manager Ben, and dealership co-owner Dave McQuillan. All said the same thing, that they couldn't honour the advertised deal.

I contacted Ford Canada because this "bait and switch" practice is appalling. Ford Canada was able to view the same advertised price, and also said that there was not too much they could do except contact the dealership.

• Tu
    turbomode22 Jul 20, 2010

Jesus you have no brain. If he told you Nov 2nd, the MFG incentives were likely changing that evening. If you went in on the 5th, with an ad from the 2nd, after being TOLD specifically that the price was good until the 2nd; WHY WOULD YOU ASSUME ITS THE SAME PRICE?

Here's a scenario to think about you sheep: Dealer gets $7000 rebate from Ford up until Nov.2nd. After Nov 2nd, the dealer only gets $5000.00. You stroll in all high and mighty with your expired ad and demand the same pricing? How can you blame the dealer for your idiocy?

Also, hold on. They told you $3000.00 more for the EXACT SAME VEHICLE? Sure buddy. Are you sure this new truck didn't have say, perhaps MORE OPTIONS? XTR package maybe? SYNC? Tow & Go? You miss the point on an advertised price. OMVIC requires dealers to advertise IN STOCK vehicles (remember this). You went into the dealer several days after the ad was released and you were told the SPECIFIC VEHICLE that was advertised at a discounted rate was no longer there; yet you still went in and are now upset that you can't get the same one (Even though you were told so)? The advertised pricing isn't a generalization, it is THAT VEHICLE in the dealer's inventory they are advertising.

All in all, it seems like you are a daft person who is frustrated by life and found success by using other people as an outlet. Anyone reading this should take note of his [censor]ation and if anything, see how hard the dealer likely worked to make him happy (Getting the dealer principal involved). I've been and shopped at Whiteoak Ford Lincoln for years. They are fantastic people, the owners do TONS of charity events in the community and run lots of small fundraising events for said charities. The sales staff WILL go the extra mile to try and make you a satisfied customer; what other dealer will lend you a brand new vehicle at NO cost if you need one (You car is in for service, you ordered a car and it's taking too long, etc.)?

The original poster here is nothing but a cry baby who expects the world to cater to his every want and need. Go to Whiteoak Ford Lincoln, see for yourself how the experience is then come here and comment like I have.

• Wo
    wowme Aug 09, 2010

Yes, Ray Kulchysky is an absolute jerk! I'm not surprised that he deceives people.

• Ra
    ray kulchysky Sep 25, 2011

What the complainant neglected to disclose (it probably slipped her mind), was that her loan application was turned down due to her recent bankruptcy. Two sides to every story!

• Ra
    ray kulchysky Sep 25, 2011

What the customer neglected to disclose (it probably slipped her mind) was that her loan application was turned down due to a recent bankruptcy. Two sides to every story.

• Cm
    CMichaelR Jan 02, 2020

I recently purchased a Transit 350 from Whiteoak Ford. I traveled over 500 km to purchase it from them and I can only say that they treated me like royalty. In the first moments after I walked into the dealership I was impressed not only with the way I was treated but the courtesy that the staff treated each other with. That said a lot to me. After already receiving an excellent value for the dollars spent I showed the sales manager the ad where the vehicle that I was purchasing had stated that snow tires were included. Whiteoak Ford Lincoln did not charge an administration fee unlike many other so called small profit dealerships do. I know that I am not the easiest customer to deal with yet the staff were quite patient with me. Thanks people.

C Michael R