WB Digital MediaScam

R

In response to a craigslist ad, I recieved the email below. The scam is that once you ask for the credit report on the website given, you are automatically subscribed to a 14.95/mo "service".

Don't buy it.

HEre's the email:

-Dear

--In reply to your application for the position at WB Digital Media, I would like to apologize for the delay in
--responding to your enquiry. The sheer volume of applicants from Craigslist for the position has been
--overwhelming. This has in turn had a knock on effect on the time taken to sort through the junk / spam
--applications and the serious candidates.

--I am however extremely happy to inform you that your resume or initial details have been reviewed
--positively and you have progressed to the final stage.

--We believe an employee who is well rewarded and motivated is the key to our growth oriented company, and
--for that reason our employees enjoy a competitive payment structure, health packages and additional key
--benefits to be discussed at interview stage.

--As part of our routine checks on all potential employees who have reached this stage, we require applicants to
--complete a security / credit check to verify your details.

--Please note: A negative credit rating will not be a determining factor in your eventual employment, (your
--credit itself is not relevant), a full credit check however does allow us to weed out time wasters and to verify
--accurately, legal US citizenship, employment history, social security references and a verifiable confirmation
--of address.

--To get your free report we recommend using this provider or another similar trusted company.

--http://check-your-credit-online.com/

--IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Please DO NOT under any circumstances email us your credit report as it
--contains confidential information that is purely for your own benefit.

--When the HR department contacts you again shortly with full details on the position, human resources will
--simply need some non confidential data from the report to verify your details.

--Once again, thank you for your interest in the position; we will be in further contact shortly.

--Yours faithfully,

--Myleene Davis
--HR Assistant Manager
--WB Digital Media

---Myleene Davis [myleene.[protected]@wbdigitalsmedia.com]

• Er
    ernielopez May 26, 2009

I have got the same email response when I responded from a craigslist ad, It was reported as spam.

Dear,

In reply to your application for the position at WB Digital Media, I would like to apologize for the delay in getting back to you, the number of applicants from Craigslist has been huge and it has taken quite some time to sort through the junk / spam applications and the serious candidates.

I am however happy to inform you that your resume or initial details have been reviewed positively and you have progressed to the final stage.

We believe an employee who is well rewarded and motivated is the key to our growth oriented company, for that reason we offer our employees competitive payment and health packages along with other key benefits to be discussed at interview stage.

As part of routine checks on all potential employees who have reached this stage, we require applicants to complete a security / credit check to verify your details. This allows us to weed out false applications, time wasters, illegals and so forth.

Please note: We can not and will not use bad credit to deny your application (your credit history itself is not relevant), a full credit check however does allow us to verify accurately, legal US citizenship, employment history, social security references and a verifiable confirmation of address.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Please DO NOT under any circumstances email us your credit report as it contains confidential information that is purely for your own benefit.

When the HR department contacts you again shortly with full details on the position, human resources we will simply need some non confidential pieces of information from that report to verify your details.

Once again thank you for your interest in the position, we will be in further contact shortly.

Yours faithfully

Olive Calloway

Privacy :
    This electronic message contains information, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by email immediately.

• St
    stressedout2009 May 26, 2009

I received the same thing but mine was from Joanne Welby. For starters, they responded to my email with my husbands name, not mine which is on the resume I had sent. First Alert there to a scam. They got my husbands name because the email address is in his name not mine. I have learned to always research anything online that you get a response to especially to make sure something is not a scam. Just makes me mad, that they have my information to do whatever they please with. Thank gosh there isn't anything such as social security number on my resume, just the basics, but still scary! Everyone is stressed out enough as it is finding work right now and they try to pull this. One reason I am confirming this issue, to get awareness out there.

• Km
    kmbrly122 May 27, 2009

I also received this same email, only differece is the name of the HR person. I am so sick of these scams. I have been trying to find a job for over a year now and it seems like all the job listings on the internet that you get responses from are scams. Please don't fall for it.

• Sg
    sgorski May 27, 2009

I also received this exact same email but the HR person was Louise Henri. The best part is I didn't even send a resume I only asked questions. I'm glad you complained about it. From what I know about these scams with links, if you request the credit report they have all your confidential information and can now use it as ID theft. Be sure to contact the authorities if you did this. Also, I looked up the real Go free credit.com and there is some difference this is not their link.

Sarita May 27, 2009

Something has to be done about this. I have received the same message as well but was not dumb enough to fall for it. They say if you have to pay money then you should not do it.

I believe that I will take this a bit further being that my father is a Judge and my brother is a lawyer and they will now pursue finding what we can do to get these jerks Back.

My letter is from Louise Henri who is probably not even a real person.

• Si
    sickandtiredbs May 28, 2009

I responded to an ad for customer service on Craigslist too. I was suspicious because the email I recieved back about the credit check was sent to me twice---once at 2:00 in the morning and the other at 6:45. It was the same email, but the HR directors name is Janet Baker. If I'm correct, it is illegal to ask a person for a credit check before the are even hired. Legitimate companies are required by law to have their prospective employees sign a consent form for a credit check, backround check, drug test or any other confidential inquiry. In some states it is even illegal to ask an applicant for their social security number and birthdate!!!. There are so many employment scams out here now a days. Its ridiculous. You just have to be careful. If something doesn't seem right, follow your instincts. It is such a shame for this to be happening to innocent people who are in need of a job, but education is the key. Tell EVERYONE you know. Report it to the media, your state attorney general and to the federal internet crimes division. Lets's gid rid of these jerks.

• Ev
    evenstarinbama May 29, 2009

I received the same email as well from a posting on craigslist. It was sent at 4:49 am which was a red flag for me. I of course did not follow the instructions about the credit check either - thankfully! The "HR Assistant Manager" that sent me the email was Janet Baker.

• Kh
    khonsu2002 May 30, 2009

I recieved exactly the same email as everyone else. Mine was from Julia Farmer - HR Assistant Manager. This SUCKS. I thought it was a real job posting. I also did not use the link provided. Thankfully.

• To
    tonyaR Jun 01, 2009

I applied for the job on Friday and checked my E-mail this morning...I just had that gut feeling that something was not right. The first thing was they replied too quickly. Also when they mentioned the credit report I thought that was rather strange. This was the first time I applied for a job on Craig's List and I noticed that it has the job title but it didn’t state for what company, UNTIL I received the e-mail so I decided to Google it and that is when I ran upon this website. I'm glad I did, even though I didn’t fall for the credit report its good to see things like being reported.

• Go
    Godwin Jun 01, 2009

this is the worst scam ever!! First of all a legitimate company will almost always call you and of couse supply you a valid telephone number and website to reference. I figured that it was a scam from the start. It sounded too vague and ambigious. There are a lot of these scams on Craig's list and it's a shame that more isn't done to protect the general public. Take a deep breathe and don't volunteer your valuable personal information to anybody. It's better to err on the side of caution

• Ju
    Junebugg52 Jun 01, 2009

I too got an email from 'Janet Baker' at 5:09am three days after sending my resume to these JERKS. I checked out the free credit report link, and it's NOT FREE -- because you have to sign up for a 14.95 monthly fee. I did not sign up. You can get a legitimate free report once a year from other sites. Also, most all of the job posts on Craigslist do not mention a legitimate company name -- just the kind of company, like a mortage firm, a bank, etc. Only once did I see a posting that said the actual company name, and they referred you to their website to apply directly. Oh yeah, the WBdigitalsmedia.com website is 'down for server maintenance" -- LOL--LOL--- what crooks !!!

chapped Jun 02, 2009

I also received the email!!! I will never use craigslist again. This is the 2nd scam ive been involed in in 2 weeks!! I only started going to the site 3 weeks ago! I can not believe these JERKS have my phone number my home address and all this information on me!!! People suck!!!

• Mu
    musicmannashville Jun 03, 2009

I got the same email, and am glad I looked up the company's name on google and found this thread. My imaginary HR person was named Olive. These people should be put in jail.

• Pr
    prittylaydee Jun 03, 2009

I also recieved another one of these emails, unfortunately I have ran into a few scamming leads and it sickens me to see these low lifes taking advantage of the people suffering in this economic stress. I think we need to take it further and make a federal complaint, BBB etc...

• To
    toohot2touch31 Jun 03, 2009

I received the same e-mail today.

In reply to your application for the position at WB Digital Media, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your enquiry. The sheer volume of applicants from Craigslist for the position has been overwhelming. This has in turn had a knock on effect on the time taken to sort through the junk / spam applications and the serious candidates.

I am however extremely happy to inform you that your resume or initial details have been reviewed positively and you have progressed to the final stage.

We believe an employee who is well rewarded and motivated is the key to our growth oriented company, and for that reason our employees enjoy a competitive payment structure, health packages and additional key benefits to be discussed at interview stage.

As part of our routine checks on all potential employees who have reached this stage, we require applicants to complete a security / credit check to verify your details.

Please note: A negative credit rating will not be a determining factor in your eventual employment, (your credit itself is not relevant), a full credit check however does allow us to weed out time wasters and to verify accurately, legal US citizenship, employment history, social security references and a verifiable confirmation of address.

When the HR department contacts you again shortly with full details on the position, human resources will simply need some non confidential data from the report to verify your details.

Louise Jenkins

• Te
    Tessa Jun 03, 2009

This is getting really sad as I received the exact email from Louise Jenkins.
    I am so angry as I wasted my time applying for a non-existant job. This is just plain WRONG!
    Shame on these people - and hopefully they won't suck too many people into their scam!

• Am
    Amber Jun 03, 2009

I received the same email, word for word, from Louise Jenkins. I am so sick of people trying to scam the unemployed, it's ridiculous! This is the third time now that I have responded to scam ads on Craigslist...NEVER AGAIN will I apply for a job advertised on that forum, it's obviously a waste of time!

• Co
    countryinheart Jun 03, 2009

I received the same e-mail. I didn't look up the company name until after I had replied; this was what I sent:

Louise,

I apologize if I sound skeptical, but this request seems strange. I’ve been employed with other companies that have run background (criminal and credit) checks before, but they have always requested the information after a job offer. I know Craigslist has been misused in the past for identity theft, and would like to have some reassurance before I continue.

Again, if you are credible, I apologize, but you can’t be too careful these days.

Thanks-

Elisa

Oh, the irony.

• Si
    singingmyheartout Jun 03, 2009

Count me in as another who has just received an email from WB Digital Media's Louise Jenkins. I was immediately suspicious when I saw the email was sent to Dear CANADA. That's not my name! Security checks prior to a job offer? I don't think so. I clicked on the website indicated and was saved because I couldn't input my postal code into the ZIP code box. Then I noticed that you cannot click on any of the menu options at the top of that website leaving me with the conclusion that I was dealing with a scam. Next I google "wb digital media" and, voilà, here I am. Don't badmouth Craigslist, however. I have found genuine job offers on there but, in my experience, the genuine employers are the ones who provide an alternative email to the Craigslist contact or a physical address along with the name of the employer.

• Ka
    Kathy Jun 03, 2009

"Louise" wrote to me too! Bless her heart. I have received several "scam" responses; I agree with the writer above that experience is teaching me that most of the online job postings I've replied to turn out to be scams.

• Ca
    Cal Gal Jun 03, 2009

FYI - I HOPE THIS HELPS:

DO NOT SEND YOUR RESUME UNTIL YOU GET A FIRST RESPONSE BACK!!

I too got the same email from WB Digital Media, not once but TWICE on 2 different jobs on craigslist. But I NEVER send a resume unless I can verify the company. So here is what I do first if I don't know who the job post belongs to:

When replying to a job post, first send a reply explaining that you are extremely interested in the position, but due to the high amount of scamming and illegitimacy going on in craigslist lately, you would appreciate verification of the company from which this job post pertains to.

I do this now every time, and the real employers actually do respond. Plus it gives you a chance to research the company to see if they are legit. The ones that don't respond, saves you time, energy, and not giving out your personal information.

HOPE THAT HELPS & GOOD LUCK TO ALL !

JobSeeker Jun 04, 2009

I received the same email, but this time from Leanne Monroe! this is so sick and bad to take advantage of people who are dealing with hard times already.
    I think that craigslist people should be more selective about the postings

Mauve Melon Jun 05, 2009

I also received an email this morning from the non existent company: wbdigitalsmedia.com which is conveniently 'down for maintenance.

I generally check ALL ads before I send my resume or respond but sometimes one will slip by. I have found employment through Craigslist in the past so I wouldn't want to say that it is Craigslist's fault that this garbage is happening.

I will go an extra step and send this to the 'scam' on Craigslist and I believe I will put an ad out there on Craigslist to warn others on communicating the first time with this 'scam'. Oh, by the way, my email was from "Leanne Moore". I wonder if they are just making up these names?

• Er
    Eric Jun 05, 2009

it happen to me also. I tried to do some reaserch on line for the company and i found nothing I also tried looking them up in the Yellowpages the same thing nothing. And here I thought that someone was really interested in meeting me about a job yea right, this is what the letter said.

Leanne Monroe

• Be
    beccam218 Jun 08, 2009

The first sign of this being a scam is the obvious misspelled word "Enquiry" it's supposed to be inquiry. The whole letter just sounds odd, "This has in turn had a knock on effect on the time taken..." a knock on effect? I never heard that expression (although there are quite a few expressions I've never heard before...

With the job market the way that it is, there are a LOT of us unemployed seeking employment and of course, the "bad guys" will take advantage of that. Just be careful, stand your ground, and ALWAYS be skeptical of job postings on free sites such as craigslist.

Good luck job hunting! It's tough, but hopefully we will get through it.

• Kl
    k.l.wood Jun 09, 2009

I too received this e-mail. It is a shame that people like this exist. We are all looking for work and these people are trying to get money out of our desperation.

• Pa
    Patrena Miller Jun 09, 2009

This was the letter that I had recieved and I was very happy about the email. For some reason, I went online to look up the company and this is what I found when I put in the name "WB Digital Media". I was some what confused about it all at first but now I am so disappointed.

I have been searching for employment for quite some time now and this is a sad case; people are trying to take advantage of others. It's A Shame! I am glad to say that I did not click on the link that was provided. Besides the last part about the HR person contacting me and wanting some personal information is what really caught my eyes. I for one do not give out any personal information by telephone to anyone unless I am the person looking and wanting the information.

********************************************************************************
    Dear Patrena Miller

Janine Clough

• Hg
    hgalla Jun 10, 2009

I received the exact same email, except from a Pam Hall. I was immediately suspicious when I received the email at 12:45am... the typos didn't help either

• Gr
    gr8shoes Jun 10, 2009

Thanks for posting this; I too received the same e-mail; time stamped 5:41 am; never a good sign.

• Bo
    bon Jun 10, 2009

I responded to Craigs List employment ad. Recieved email from Janet Baker from WB Digital Media asking for credit information and the like. My email response was identical to the others who have posted here. I too am tired of these scams when trying to find a job through Craigs List. How can we stop these scamming people?!

• Ju
    jusme519 Jun 10, 2009

Wow I received the same email this morning and didn't have a good feeling about it so i checked it first and found all you guys response this is a shame that people do this. I was laid of 6 months ago I have been out everyday looking for a job and these people get your hopes up to take your money. I recieved 2 emails for the same job one from HR person Pam Hall and the other from sarah Timsley which are probably not there real names. Im so tired of this everything you apply for online comes up to be some work at home scam that wants you to waist money or something like this that just want to take your money. Thanks guys you saved my 14 dallors.

• Ra
    Raineydays Jun 10, 2009

This is truly sad... you can't even apply for a job without someone trying to scam you. I got my email today... Do they not think that if you are LOOKING for a job, then you probably don't have any MONEY to waste on stupid crap like that anyway (even if someone WERE to fall for it..)? I just want a job... I'm tired of putting in applications every day... With the economy as bad as it is, you'd think scamers would be happy with the money they've already stolen from the rest of the hard-working people, it just hurts my heart to think about how horrible people in this world really are. Happy job hunting to you all and good luck out there...

• Ga
    Gabe Jun 11, 2009

I got the same email word for word from "Janet Baker." I noticed that the website associated with her email (www.wbdigitalsmedia.com), and tried to go to the site. When I got there, it said that the website was down for maintenance (and some of the words on the website were even spelled wrong). I noticed that the word "digital" in the website's address was even plural---yet another red flag. Finally, I remembered the ad on Craigslist was very vague. I should have known this was a scam. Thanks to this website, I did not participate in the credit check phase of the "interview." Whew!

• Ni
    nick Jun 11, 2009

i just got one today.

from Yours faithfully,

Beth Wright
    WB Digital Media

I was excited but I thought it was a little odd them asking for my credit initially so I googled WB Digital Media and what do you know... I see all of these other posts... fraud.

• Ly
    lynneash Jun 12, 2009

Wow, I received the same e-mail (twice). I ran across the job posting on Craigslist for a "part-time administrative assistant at a graphic design firm". I was very excited, considering I am in college for graphic design. I responded to the posting and e-mailed my resume, and got this e-mail from "Jemma Swartz":

In reply to your application for the position at WB Digital Media, I would
    like to apologize for the delay in responding to your enquiry. The sheer
    volume of applicants from Craigslist for the position has been overwhelming.
    This has in turn had a knock on effect on the time taken to sort through the
    junk / spam applications and the serious candidates.

I am however extremely happy to inform you that your resume or initial
    details have been reviewed positively and you have progressed to the final
    stage.

We believe an employee who is well rewarded and motivated is the key to our
    growth oriented company, and for that reason our employees enjoy a
    competitive payment structure, health packages and additional key benefits
    to be discussed at interview stage.

As part of our routine checks on all potential employees who have reached
    this stage, we require applicants to complete a security / credit check to
    verify your details.

Please note: A negative credit rating will not be a determining factor in
    your eventual employment, (your credit itself is not relevant), a full
    credit check however does allow us to weed out time wasters and to verify
    accurately, legal US citizenship, employment history, social security
    references and a verifiable confirmation of address.

To get your free report we recommend using this provider or another similar
    trusted company.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Please DO NOT under any circumstances email us your
    credit report as it contains confidential information that is purely for
    your own benefit.

When the HR department contacts you again shortly with full details on the
    position, human resources will simply need some non confidential data from
    the report to verify your details.

Once again, thank you for your interest in the position; we will be in
    further contact shortly.

Jemma Swartz

• Ti
    tired_of_scams Jun 14, 2009

I received the same form letter when I applied for an adult daycare driver position.These people are amazing they dont even attempt to make them believable anymore.

• Ho
    HokieJeep Jun 14, 2009

Wow! This really sucks. I was looking forward to a potential interview. I researched the site the initial job was posted for. Looked VERY legit. I am glad I kept digging after I got my e-mail from WB. I couldn't find them ANYWHERE in local business directories. I am glad I didn't click the link.

Oh well, the job hunt continues!

sammyjo1927 Jun 15, 2009

Thank you for posting this. Along with everyone else I sent in my resume to a posting on criags list and got this email in response. I have found that with any employment posting on criags list, you get nothing but junk and scams relating to it. Craigs list is wonderful for listing free ads but not for appling for employment :o) I agree with the person that said this is turly sad...its so hard to find a job today and these people, whom ever they are, are making it that much worse. God bless America, right?

• Ca
    cautiousinvestigator Jun 22, 2009

Re: Security/Credit check - WB Digital Media

Because of the stiff wording and the mistakes in grammar, I was a little suspicious about this being an unusual message from an employer. In addition, most (I should say probably ALL) background and credit checks are done AFTER hiring, not before. But, these are some of the mistakes I noticed in particular:

1) There really wasn't much of a delay between when I applied for the job and this letter, so it seemed a little disingenuous to be apologizing for a delay. But, the word INQUIRY was misspelled as "enquiry" in the first sentence.

2) The strange wording of the third sentence which referred to it as having "a knock on effect", and also to complain about sorting through "junk/spam applications" seemed unusual. I did not understand the unusual figure of speech, nor why people would be sending junk/spam applications to a listing on Craigslist?

3) In the third paragraph, the letter omits the word "the" from the interview stage which is a common omission by someone who is not a very good writer or who is foreign.

4) Then the whole contrived reference to the need for what appeared to be a very extensive background, job history, and credit check seemed to be a definite intrusion into some very suspicious areas.

My first reaction was not to click on the credit report link, but to insert WB Media into Google to see if I could find out more about the company. Since it was a blind posting, I wasn't aware of who the employer was, so I thought I would investigate a little more. I was very glad that people who had received this BEFORE me had posted these warnings. ComplaintsBoard is a very valuable website.

• C1
    c1th5r9n5 Jun 23, 2009

Thanks for all the information. I received a response from an ad on Backpage. It too was from W B Digital Media, but it was from another person, Mr . Tybi Alex. They wanted me to fill out some health insurance survey to "bring with me to the interview". As a rule of thumb if I get a response with a link for me to go to, then I delete it, I do not bother going any further.