Walgreens Flu Shotswhen did a drug store become a hospital?

T

When did a drug store become a hospital? Why are pharmacist giving flu shots or shots of any kind? The dirty secret is because Walgreens makes so much money on the flu shots. They charge $30 when it only cost them a few dollars. That is more than a $25 profit. It all comes down to MONEY! The pharmacists are forced to do this otherwise they will lose their jobs. They take a ONE DAY class and then they practice on each other. And now they are ready to give shots? I can't believe the drop in professionalism but I guess any can poke a needle into your arm after one day of class. In fact, drug addicts are much better at it than anyone.

The pharmasists are disgruntled but what can they do. They are doing so many things and to give shots on top of it. There is no real area set up to do this and with the running around there is a possibiltiy that things can get contaminated.

They should have a professional nurse focussed on administering the shots and explaining all the details. They can also answer any questions and not rush to do other things. That is the proper way.

• Su
    Susan Sky Nov 24, 2014

Walgreens customer service has seriously declined since they started aggressively pushing flu shots. The pharmacists are now no longer available to do the job of filling prescriptions as they are usually off giving flu shots during working hours. As a physician, I have made a concerted effort not to send prescriptions to Walgreens during the fall when the pharmacists no longer make filling prescriptions a priority. My patients filling prescriptions have had excessive wait times for their medications and my nurses and I have had excessive wait times on hold to speak with a pharmacist about prescriptions. Walgreens may consider aggressively marketing flu shots to be a means of increasing revenue, but it may likely backfire as more physicians feel like I do that they no longer provide good service filling prescriptions.

• Go
    goggyholic Jul 20, 2012

Apparently, it does take a genius. I had a flu shot in Sept of 2011. The administrator stood over me and shot down from the top of my shoulder. The initial flu shot pain never ended. In fact, it grew incredibly worse. Almost a year later, I cannot sleep or stop the pain. I will turn in my notice to my job within the week because I cannot do what is required. Am I a creep seeking disability? No. I am already receiving my $700 social security, which I obviously need to supplement--so I cannot now claim disability. Our life is devastated!!! Walgreens needs to properly train their shot administrators.

• The Lidman Foundation Nov 21, 2011

Zacko, don't you have homework to finish?

• Ih
    I hate Hallmark Nov 21, 2011

You don't like it do not go there for one and let everyone else make the decision of where to get the flu shot. CVS is the horrible store not them. You must work for CVS to try to make them look bad. Well your CVS got me fired because an employee made a false claim about me sexually harassing her.

• Im
    IMD1 Nov 21, 2011

That is great Julie that those options are available to you, but not all employers or bases offer what you are suggesting.

• JuliePooh51265 Nov 21, 2011

Do like I did, get yours at work. When they send the serums to the base, they send enough for all of the military and a certain percentage of the civilians. Once the military are done, civilians can get them until they run out. And it's free too. My Dr. office used to do a flu shot clinic but stopped a couple of years ago. Pissed me off. But, since they are free on base, I don't complain anymore. :)

• Im
    IMD1 Nov 21, 2011

It doesn't take a geniusor MD to administer an innoculation.

• The Lidman Foundation Nov 21, 2011

'Yes, heaven forbid a business should actually try to make money." Obviously the OP knows that. No need to trash the review like that.

• The Lidman Foundation Nov 21, 2011

The Fact Police have arrived.