Posted:

Ponzi Scheme

Englewood, New Jersey
Vonage is a Ponzi scheme. I say this based on my experience with Vonage service, and viewing the company's current commercials. The commercials new customers making statements such as:
"I can't tell any difference between the signals (of the previous company and Vonage)".
and several similar statements indicating that Vonage sounds very good, just as good as the previous phone company. My quote above is a paraphrase but it is very close and the meaning is absolutely as I have indicated it to be.

This goes along perfectly with my experience with Vonage- AT FIRST. But after a period of time had elapsed, maybe 1 1/2 years to 2 1/2 years, I'm not sure exactly how long, Vonage switched me
to their INFERIOR QUALITY SERVICE. Calls began to be difficult to make and difficult to recieve. In short order, things declined to Vonage's WORST QUALITY SERVICE. I could hardly hear the other person on the line and that person could hardly hear me. Since this happened at just beyond the time of the EQUIPMENT WARRANTY, Vonage wanted something like $188 for new equipment to supposedly fix the problem.

However, I no longer trusted Vonage. I changed back to my Cable company and have had some problems but not nearly as many as with Vonage. The problems I have had are incoming callers telling me that they get all sorts of strange results rather than reaching me. I have not yet called in to try to get this fixed, however.

I say that Vonage is a PONZI SCHEME because I believe that they knowingly and intentionally give high quality service to NEW CUSTOMERS, then switch to LOW QUALITY SERVICE at
specified later dates. Whether that switch is in one or two stages I'm not sure, but I am almost
certain that they INTENTIONALLY SWITCH from HIGH to LOW quality service at a specified
date. That means that new customers will give them good reviews, while long term customers
get "screwed".

If you have had an experience like this, please post it here so that there is more proof that this SCAM is going on at VONAGE.

Thank you.
Complaint comments Comments (93) Complaint country United States Complaint category Landline & Home Phone Providers

Comments

Vonage - Phone service problem

Vonage Phone Service is truly a waste of time and energy, surely you will get 1/2 the price of your current phone bill but they forgot to inform you that you will get 1/2 the customer care and 1/2 the quality of phone service also. I signed up with vonage for their free trial offer and I cancelled the same day I received the device. I have verizon fios and there service was way to slow for the fios which in return gave me poor audio on my calls. Signing up was easy but getting my refund was almost impossible, the wait time for a rep was 45mins. Please don't waste your time and energy on vonage like I did.

Vonage - Vonage continue to bill me after I made switch to Comcast

I switch my phone services from Vonage to Comcast on 8/24/06. Comcast had since carried my phone services. However, Vonage continue to bill me after I made this switch. They said that a formal request to cancel the phone number was needed before they can discontinue the billing. Vonage also gave us a difficult time with the termination of their services...giving us every reasons on the book why they can't cancel the account. They also told me that it doesn't matter if they longer provided the services for that particular number. The billing would still take place regardless if they carried the service or not. I made numerous attempts to get this resolve but they would not let me talk to any supervisors. They just keep passing me from one department to another, but nothing ever gets resolve.

Vonage - Bad call quality, locally, internationally

This service sucks. Bad call quality, locally, internationally. I paid penalty to get my service cancelled. I was losing money on this service, it was unusable & they could not transfer my verizon number in 2 months. It was not clear that they would charge for modem if cancelled after 30 days but they charged me 80 dollars for the modem. I still paid that because this service could not have replace my verizon call quality & service. This is the worst decision you can make in your life. I could afford to lose money on this wasteful service but if you love your $$$ then better spend them at some better place.
N     0 Votes

Vonage - Nothing is left but frustration, discontent and a big bill!

I had high hopes for Vonage. Now nothing is left but frustration, discontent and a big bill. I ordered my plan and phone on Jan 26th. The 1st phone was lost in shipping. I called in and waited a long time to talk to some one. I finally got a live person (from India or who knows where) who was extremely hard to understand. I never understand why a company would out-source Customer Service with someone who can not communicate with the customer. I received 2nd phone on the 26th (159.94 for phone and S&H). I hooked up the device to my network and I was able to call out but not received calls. (My number was supposed to be transferred). After a coupe of weeks nothing changed. I could call out but not receive calls. I called in (another severely long wait) and stated the problem. They assured me that it would be expedited. A couple more weeks go by, nothing changed. I called back, they said they were going to expedited again. I told the individual that I was already told that last time I called in. They then researched further and found an 1800 number on line preventing the transfer. I have never had an 1800 number contacted my carrier and they knew nothing of the matter. At this point I am utterly frustrated. I call back to cancel service (March 7th). They lady I spoke with this time was here in the US. She was nice and courteous and tried to keep me as a customer. It was too late I had my fill of all the nonsense. I asked about sending the phone back. She told me it wouldn’t be a problem and gave me an address to send it to, Upon arrival they would credit my account. I asked about a Return Authorization Number. She specifically told me that one was not needed because all the information could be pulled off of the device. I sent it back to the address I was given via Fed Ex ground. Followed the tracking number and see it was delivered on the 9th of March. Today (March 16th) I checked my account to and noticed that nothing has transpired. So I call back 3 times, go through 2 more broken English calls somewhere in India t be put on Hold for over 15 minute just to be cut OFF each. The 3rd call, I go through the elaborate Customer Service options to finally get someone in the New Jersey. I proceed to explain all of the above get transferred again with a 33 minute wait to find out they will not refund anything. On top of that, they charged a disconnection fee. In about 2-1/2 months, I am out of over $250 and about 4 hours of my life waiting for a phone that didn’t work correctly. I have never dealt with a company this absurd. At every opportunity I will warn everyone and anyone about Vonage and how they have screwed me. So much for the Revolution!
D     0 Votes
He was just unlucky.

I make a lot of international calls. After getting vonage 4 years ago my bill dropped by $100 a month. Great features, reat call quality and no down time.

Love it. love it. love it. Very sad they may go under.

Used the service with three different ISPs with no difficulty.

By far the best feature is the ability to set up incoming phone numbers in different states and countries. $5 a month each, and now none of my family and in-laws in the UK and Mexico have to pay more than local charges to call us. We can talk all day for pennies.
A     0 Votes
I have the same exact situation. I switched to Comcast, and I continued to get billed for the last 3 months. I called last month to reverse the bill, and apparently they still continued to bill me this month. Luckly my credit card info is expiring this month, so hopefully this is the last month they're stealing my money.
A     0 Votes
I opened a business account w/ vonage with a total of 4 lines.Within the first month I realized that Vonage was not able to provide proper caller id as required by law. This entire issue lasted 4 months and I was told I don't know how many times, that the issue was now resolved. (It wasn't), So I gave up and learned to live with the fact that my business caller ID's were everything from Vonage Hldgs to Potts Phone (no kidding), but not my company name or number.

Than after 5 months of service, all my numbers were dead one afternoon during business hours(we are still talking about $49/mo business numbers). After 1 hour of arguing I got the answer that they were performing a software update.

So I contacted my local cable provider and asked them if they could get those numbers from Vonage and smoothly transfer them without any down time. - It took Vonage over 1 month to finally release the numbers.

So I called and canceled my account and was told that I would have to pay early termination fees. I agreed, just to get it over with after all I entered a 1 year contract with them, I guess. And at the due date money was taken out of my account.

1 month later Vonage messed up my accounting totally, by taking out another payment. So called and after almost an hour again was told, that there was no record of the transaction, but the customer service rep would help me out and now close my account, but I would be charged 1 month for early termination. Again I replied whatever it takes just not to have to deal with Vonage again. He also gave me confirmation number, which unfortunately I can't find.

Today I was told by my bank that my billing account was charged overdraft fees, because Vonage again took out money out of my account. After being lied to by incompetent Vonage employees, and waisting over 2 hours on the phone, the outcome was this and still is:

- My account isn't closed. (The ### I spoke to the month before noted that I called for Caller ID issues. Why would I do that if they don't event have my numbers for the last 3 months???)
- They could close my account NOW!
- I would be charged Early termination fees, but I could email them for a refund request (Yeah Right!!!)
- But I was offered another phone number and they would give me credit.

Than I called again and spoke to another lady, who told me:
- She could give me credit for 1 month
- She would close my account, but she would have to charge me early termination fees.

I asked her if it would make sense to her that I would keep on paying on an account for 4 months without getting anything in return and Vonage not even owning my phone numbers. Also I asked her if it would make sense that I would call in to complain about caller ID's for numbers Vonage doesn't even own anymore. She admitted it didn't make sense, but that didn't change anything on the issue that she could cancel the account for a fee and I could apply for credit back.

At the end she guided me to their website for the corporate information in case I wanted to complain. I am really not a complainer, but I hope That this will prevent the same thing from happening to other people. Where am I standing? I guess I still have an open account at Vonage and if I don't die soon, they will keep on charging me.

I guess that was contract with the devil and he will keep on sucking me dry.
N     0 Votes

Vonage - Deceitful tactics!

I signed on with Vonage on Sept 8th. The rep I spoke with never mentioned that my phone service was dependent on internet service. Brad asked who did I have DSL with and I told him it was Verizon. I also told him that I didn't want to switch my DSL from Verizon which he stated that wouldn't be a problem. On Sept 20 my phone line was completely transferred from my previous phone carrier. I could make a phone call but I couldn't receive a call. I called Vonage and for 2 1/2 hours tried to resolve this issue. On Sept 21 I told Vonage I wanted to cancel my service because my request to have phone service for calling and receiving calls didn't look like it was going to happen. On Sept 21 (Friday) when I arrived home from work I had no dial tone. I didn't make an attempt to contact Vonage on the weekend because I was truly fed up with Vonage. On Monday Sept24 I called Vonage to explain my problem. I was told that I NEED DSL SERVICE TO HAVE PHONE SERVICE WITH VONAGE BUT VONAGE DISCONNECTED MY DSL SERVICE WITH VERIZON. And if I wanted DSL service with Verizon I should call Verizon and ask for them to reconnect my DSL. How are they going to disconnect a service that I need in order to have phone service?? As far as I am concerned Vonage reps are deceitful in how they sell the Vonage service. NO ONE told me that Vonage phone service can only be had if you have DSL service because it is an internet service. I found that out by asking question after question until the rep finally had to admit what I had eventually figured out. Their commercials do not mention internet in order to have phone service with them. Now I have to wait two weeks before I can get phone service again with Verizon because I don't know what Vonage did with my phone lines. Presently I am without phone service. I have a pregnant daughter and a husband with health problems at home. This is totally unacceptable. It is Vonage responsibility to make sure that I had phone service and they should have done whatever they needed to do to get it done. I will write and tell anyone and everyone about Vonages deceitful tactics.

Debbie Ruiz.

Vonage - Poor service

I called to cancel my Vonage service July 31st, 2017. After getting harassed for at least 20- possibly even 30 minutes, I was told that I would have to call back because cancellations were done in real-time. I never agreed to the free months they offered, or different plans, or anything else, but stuck to my guns that I needed to cancel.

No other service I have ever had to deal with has ever made it so difficult to cancel. My initial call was sufficient enough to cancel. When we called to cancel our business Vonage line, they did it right then, although they did say we weren't entitled to a refund of any used days, which I completely agreed with and didn't mind at all. We had unused days on our consumer line also, but wouldn't have minded that they kept that payment even though there weren't any services offered; I just wanted to have the service canceled. (Although in retrospect, every other company I've ever dealt with, from utilities to insurance to rent payments are prorated for the actual days of service. Why does Vonage get away with keeping payments for days of no service? Just another example of their unethical company?)

I kept getting billed, although they "suspended" my account (which means I couldn't use it, but they would still bill me for it, even though I had canceled it?) INSTEAD of canceling it as I had requested, and each month would correspond through several emails that I had canceled. I would even get emails that would say their representatives would call me, which they never did, and one final email which would say I must call. All of this I have on record.

I called again September 26 and before the representative could give me the pre-printed runaround spiel, I told her in no uncertain terms that I needed to make sure the account was canceled and that I should not have a balance. "Faye" even tried to keep me as a customer, although she admitted we didn't use the service! What she meant was she would be happy to continue having Vonage bill me for NO SERVICES! I can't think of any company who can get away with billing someone for nothing. Vonage shouldn't be allowed to continue this practice. After a Google search revealed this is a common practice with Vonage, I cannot let my complaints go unheard.

All I'm asking is for Vonage to respect the fact that I called to cancel on July 31st and that I should not have been billed in subsequent months. I'm not asking for anything for free, and they shouldn't either. It is unfair, unethical, and surely the beginning of the end of Vonage. Vonage employes unfair pressure and harassment to try to keep the customers they already have.

While I had Vonage service, I was pleased and would refer my friends to Vonage. My tune has changed. Any company who tries to obtain money from someone and not offer any service must be an company who is operating illegally, and I cannot possibly continue to tout the advantages of their "services."

My request is simple and completely fair. July 31st is my cancellation date, and my balance is 0.00. I should not have to pay for services which I canceled in good faith, and which were unused.
A     0 Votes
Not a customer based on the fact that I CAN'T STAND THAT OBNOXIOUS THEME SONG OF THEIRS! Every time that commercial comes on I want to beat the life out of whoever 'wrote' it, and whoever decided that it would be a good idea to have it as the theme song for nonage for all of eternity!
A     0 Votes
I lose communication after a few minutes, the line cuts off. I can hear the person on the other line but they cannot hear me. This has been ongoing over a long time. I phoned vonage and they have no clue on what is wrong.

Has anybody had similar problems?

Vonage - Billing after cancellation
Champaign
Illinois
Phone: 217-351-1848

We switched back to AT&T from Vonage because the Vonage never worked for very long at a time and was out of service more than in service. AT&T called Vonage on 7/18/07 to discontinue our service (AT&T called them so we could keep our phone number.) We are still being billed by VOnage on our credit card - the last being in December 2017. We try to contact them but have been on hold longer than 40 minutes each time. My husband finally got through and they would not talk to him (even though they are charding his credit card) because I set up the account. Vonage is ripping us off!
what can we do about this?
N     0 Votes

Vonage - Vonage is unethical, provides poor service, fraudulently charges card
vonage.com

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

--quote-start--

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
* Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
* CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

asterisk.org

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

asterisknow.org

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org

For best results use a router that works with DD-WRT.com firmware!

If you're EXTEMELY techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

Suck service is BREACH of contract. SUE for a full refund in small claims court

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertizing. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

A     0 Votes
Sounds like BREACH of contract. SUE for a full refund in small claims court. I won my claim. You can, too!

A     -1 Votes