Utility Management Associationclaims that can get tax brake

S Review updated:

told us that would get a tax credit for the install of utility shield in the atic but now no credit because they say the laws have changed. Now thay sent us cards one claim your gas and one claim your groceries.

• M
      Jun 27, 2009

I agree the stuff that they are selling is made in Taiwan and can't get the tax credits u need to by the energy star product to (here in the states)to get the Tax Credit>>> It cost about .75cents put in anything above that u got ripped off go to Radiant Barrier . com u will find it>>>>>

• N
      Jun 30, 2009

What you complained about makes no sense. The tax credit applied until 6/1/2009, the I.R.S. has radiant barriers under review. The fiberglass manufacturers are fighting against approval, imagine that. My understanding of the situation is this, the barrier will be back on the approved list and the credit will apply.
    If the President had never approved of the tax credit wouldn't you still have purchased the product just for the energy savings and comfort level alone; I did.

• A
      Aug 31, 2009

Tax credit in 07, not in 08 but back for 09 and 10. All based on lawmakers. Stuff is American made. Two factories in Tupelo, MS and Mesa, AZ. And, they have a lifetime warranty and a 5 year performance money back guarantee, Really stand behind the product.Won't find that in other similar companies. Five layers, outside lawyers are 99.9 % aluminum

• M
      Sep 01, 2009

I have personally dealt with Utility Management Association. I purchased the Utility Shield and the Power Mizer earlier this year (2009). My kwh usage has dropped from month to month on average of 47%. From what I paid, I am on track for a 29 month payback. Savings aside, my sons room now is very comfortable whereas before he would sweat all night in the summer. Maybe you have other complications in the home and this is a easy avenue for you to blame it on.. I would recommend UMA to any of my companions.

• I
      Sep 24, 2009

I had their rep come over this evening. This afternoon I'd done some research, I contacted a connection at the DOE with whom we work and the word I got was the reflective material laid directly over the insulation is a bad thing. Hung from the rafters it may do a good job. If laid over the insulation dust settles on the surface and kills the reflectivity. A research anaylist at the DOE recommends against its us. The pay back is long. An electrical engineer knew the product and said that the PowerMizer may indeed work for large electrical consumers, but for the typical residence any savings is negligable, and told me I could purchase it, but not to count on any payback. When I was discussing the information I had, he got huffy, and a bit snotty, picked his bag up and stormed out. Thanking me for wasting his time...These are the same guys that prayed with us on Monday night. I am REALLY glad I didn't do business with these guys, but it does perhaps explain the BBB complaints. Lowes sells reflective material for a lot less.

• O
      Oct 04, 2009

We have signed up to get the Utility Shield. I thought this maybe a good time to check on the company Utility Management Association. I can not find them listed with the Better Business Bureau.

I am getting very mixed reviews. Have you found them listed anywhere? This is a lot of money to spend if you indeed get no tax credits.

• L
      Oct 06, 2009

I put Utility Shield in my garage under my master bedroon. The temp in the bedroom dropped 5 degrees after a car was pulled in. I am going to put it in the rest of my house when they come back. No wonder the power company and other insulators do not like the stuff. Dust would not effect the reflectivity because it is infered heat not light that it is reflecting. The power miser makes alot of sence if you think about it too.

• L
      Oct 06, 2009

oh yeh, i did find them listed with the BBB. Experts said it worked but could not guarantee how much. The OBB(online better business) had no complaints. They did what they said, when they said, so how much more can you ask for?

Oct 06, 2009

Just a quick note for everyone on here since I did research on hear before I had there energy package installed. I had the shield athe power mizer put installed in August htis year. My bill reflects a 900 kw hour eduction from previous year, saving me roughly $96.00 for the first month installed. Looking froward to getting next months bill. I have absolutely nothing bad to say. I guess you can't make everyone happy but I sure am.

Oct 11, 2009

I agree with all the above positive statements Ihad my winter gas useage cut in half after utility shield was installed 2 years ago It works great .

Oct 13, 2009

Is this the same product as the Power Save (retail cost $299.95) and radiant barrier rolls (retail $90.00/500 sq yd roll). We attended a dinner presentation last night. The video presentation was exactly the same one from Power Save, and when the rep came over this morning the price was Power Mizer $1300.00 and the radiant barrier was $1.99 sq ft ($995.00/500 sq ft roll). It seems they are the same product, but far from the same price

Oct 21, 2009

Has anyone used the Heat Guard Paint? Have cathedral ceilings and this is the only way for me to go to get any savings.

• Z
      Oct 27, 2009

I went to one of the Utility Management dinners. They wanted over $3000 to put in the foil insulation. I did a little google search on Radiant Barrier and Instead of spending thousands to have radiant barrier installed you can buy it yourself from www.AtticFoil.com - http://atticfoil.com/ for about $130 per 1000 square ft or about 13 cents a ft. I had a couple of college kids install it for $300 bucks. The WHOLE job was under $800. I talked to the owner of AtticFoil and he said he actually sells to a bunch of these dinner meeting guys and it's the exact same stuff - kinda like water. It's the same if it comes out of the tap or an expensive bottle.

Nov 02, 2009

Let, me explain exactly how this is. So, no more questions will be left with out answers. Utility management looks to be a good company all the way around after doing extensive research. I talked not with just the girls that answer the phones at the bbb, but the president himself. Any issues with Utility management have always been resolved, and in a prompt manner. better than almost all companies in the bbb. there complaint ratio is officially .[protected] or .0012. virtually close to 1 out of every 10, 000 customers complain. Is this good, is this bad that's for you to decide. those are official numbers. The guarantee they have with the products do hold true. They offer a lifetime warranty on the utility shield. A 12 year on the power mizer unit and a 25 year warrantee on the Heat Guard. all in good standing. I backed track the company after i seen it has only been with the bbb for 6 and half years and they have been in business since 1978. which would lead me to think that they do take care of there customers and will hold up to any warranty or guarantee. Now why do they have a lower ranking at the moment? That was the real question. Turns out Utility management had a A ranking the highest you can achieve. Then, all the men and woman of Utility management gave out the bbb name and number on a card to all guests. keep in mind Utility management is quite large so the bbb in mississippi got flocked with calls. By making those cards out and giving them out by the thousands, the bbb pulled down their ranking after a dispute about it with the vice president at that time, now let go. The word is they are being reinstated and on way back to a perfect ranking.

tax credit: the IRS pulled the tax credit for utility shield on 06/01/2009 as said by an earlier poster. The sole reason is because it does not have an r value. r value means resistance this product blocks and reflects. from reading many findings from the us department of energy and Oakwood national labs. its more effective to block than resist. so, i guess the owens cornings of the world didn't like that and have better lobbyists than Utility management and had it pulled, although it did qualify in 2007 and 2006. If you are out your tax credit now i would take a grievance with your congressman over Utility management.

Cheap internet material: from my findings, Utility management has exclusive right to there barrier. so, you cant buy theirs from any where else or its stolen. From the customers Utility management let me talk to they said it was very high quality. so i went around to lowes and home depot and was not impressed with their material as it was very thing had no pores for breathing and i could poke my figure through. If i were smart i would do anything I could to try and make something look like utility shield then sell it on the internet and make a fortune having people believe they are getting the same quality of product. The old saying is you get what you pay for. Cheap things aren't good and good things aren't cheap.

Heat guard: was mentioned above. It is not he only way to insulate your catherdrel ceilings. if you re roof you can pull up your plank boards and then stuff more insulation in. otherwise a heat guard material is the only way to insulate and it does recieve the tax credit and has the energy start. Heat Guard is another product at Utility management.

Power mizer: the power mizer looked very similar to all other units like it, such as the power save again mentioned above by a poster. I took a tremendous amount of research on this one. The Power Mizer is the only unit that has federal patents on it, and is ul approved. those are the only differences i could find. I did contact some customers from Utility Management and they said they seen a difference in their bill, but did not have any exact percentages.

My opinion: that if you purchased from utility management you should be happy unless, you are the 1 out of a thousand. then from what it looks like they will do anything they can to make you happy, from what the bbb said. I however cant have their products i live in a high rise. so please don't ask me if i have it in my house. I was just trying to get some info on tax credits from my utility company and stumbled across this blog. hope this helps it took me 3 days of doing.

• B
      Nov 12, 2009

The post has been removed.

• R
      Nov 14, 2009

Hey Bev n Tom why don't you give us more details of yor complaint with UMA. You're a little incomplete. Let us all know what your main pain is with this company. We were just at a dinner meeting with the company salesmen and thinking about buying. Like some feedback on this.

Nov 21, 2009

to "the real answer": If you cannot use their products, what is your agenda behind your post? Seems like a lot of work to speak up for something you can't use? I find it difficult to believe that the claims made by this company are exactly the same as some of the posts, albeit without verifiable proof. Furthermore, there are quite a few negative comments made, which would, by your numbers, account for a majority of the "1 in 10, 000" complaints received from the BBB. And by the way, what BBB is this? Any particular city or state? The reason I ask is that the national BBB site puts this company on its "Not Accredited" list through the state of Mississippi BBB office.

Nov 22, 2009

IT IS A SCAM... I THINK THEY PREY ON THE OLD FOLKS AND TAKE THERE MONEY..AND JUST A FEW WEEKS DOWN THE ROAD THEY HAVNT SAVED ANYTHING AND WONT THERE MONEY BACK BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO IT WILL TURN BADD GO CHECK THEM OUT ON THE BBB THEY HAVE A BAD RAPP ALL ROUND... I HAVE THE PRODUCT BUT I PAID 3000 TO MUCH COULD HAVE GOTTEN IT FOR BOUT 600 PUT IN AND EVERYTHING I STUCK THEY GOT MY MONEY AND GONE...

Nov 29, 2009

The material UMA sells is made out of china somewhere. You can purchase it for about 18 or 20 cents per square foot on line. UMA does not have a patent on it.

The Power Mizer is made by KVAR and is exactly the same unit that sells for about 300 bucks only labled as a power Mizer.

It does not qualify for the tax credit

They have their staff cruize the internet and post positive posts.

• S
      Dec 07, 2009

I have looked at www.energrystar.gov and can not find any tax credit for Power Mizer or the Utility Shield. I realize the others have said the radiant barrier has been removed from the tax credit but our salesman just told us that the Power Mizer was on the government web site for tax credit. I can not find it anywhere.
    I do not have a good feeling about purchasing these products.

Jan 03, 2010

UPDATE: going to agree with the majority of blogs on here barrier works well, but utility management association is not the company to do it with. utility management nows goes by the name energy improvements. they had to change their name because of their bad business practices. my thoughts are look into energy improvements for your home, but from a credible company not utility management a.k.a energy improvements llc. how many times will they have to a.k.a

• F
      Jan 04, 2010

My husband and I and another couple went to their dinner meeting and were very impressed. The other couple had it installed by the company and my husband installed it himself. We and the other couple are very pleased with the results. The back end of our house at one time was an old porch that had been enclosed and was hot in the summer and bitter cold in the winter. It was the same with our attic. Now, the house is the same temp throughout. We can go inthe back and be comfortable or go in the attic without discomfort. The price may have been a bit high but we feel it was well worth it and we saved some money by installing it ourselves.

Jan 14, 2010

BevnTom, gpdudly, rjanderson1052

These postings were some time ago so don't know where they stand today but we are currently experiencing real problems with Utility Management Association regarding a home energy saving system we purchased in July 2009. It started with the dinner and a smooth talking salesman, Scot Stewart. We fell for it. To date the job has not been completed and numerous phone calls to Stewart have been unanswered. We have reported it to the company, the online better business bureau and the BBB in MS where this company is located. Also promised with this contract was a rebate program for groceries, a separate program for gas and a separate program for your choice of a retail store. All these rebate programs have been discontinued to date so as you can see we have a mess here. Not sure where it will all end but we're hoping to get the word out about this company and their program that is targeting senior citizens especially. Wish us luck! E&D

Jan 15, 2010

I attended a dinner put on by UMA in August 09. After their spiel I decided to look further into Product. As I don't have attic space or a Water Heater, The only other option was the Power Mizer. The Power Mizer was to be installed at a cost of $1200. but along with this I would be able to enter a Program run by My Free Travel that over two years I could recoup my $1200. (If it sounds too good to be true, it must be) After turning in Receipts for 4 Months, I find them out of Business with no forwarding address & also under investigation by the AG's office in Ill. As far as the Power Mizer goes, I find that my Electric Bills are down at least 25% and should get a Payback in less than 4 Years.
    I have been very careful not to change anything, so I would have a good Test. I'm not sure how this thing works, but a 4 year Payback isn't bad.

• C
      Jan 19, 2010

I purchased the utility shield and power mizer last spring 09' Being a skeptic I was not sure it would do what the rep had promised, however, I am seeing a 47% decrease on my utility bills. Cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Rooms that were hot in the summer are now cooler, rooms that were cold in the winter now warmer. My winter utility bills used to be over $400, I have not had a bill over $250 to date. It works!

• W
      Jan 19, 2010

Just a note to let everyone on this complaint board that as of yesterday, 1/18/2010, Utility Shield qualifies for the 15% Tax Credit. The credit only applies if you owe federal income tax. I believe that an improved comfort level in my home and lower utility bills are much more important than a one time tax credit. The products work. Out of tens of thousands of customers less than 1/10 of 1% have a complaint. BooHoo. Do you complain about the bad service etc at McDonalds, WalMart or any other place you do business. Why complain about this company? Several posters on this site are former employees of the company who were let go for various reasons and they have an axe to grind.
    If you contact the company regarding the loyalty program they have a replacement for myfreetravel.com that went out of business. UMA had nothing to do with that company they only offered their program.

Jan 20, 2010

We had the utility shield installed in our attic in March, 2009. Through out the summer the house did seem cooler when we came home in the evening from work. However, I started noticing a higher humidity level and could not figure out what was causing this. I even started noticing mildew in areas of the ceiling so I purchased a dehumidifier. As long as I ran the dehumidifier I could keep the humidity level down but as soon as I turned it off, up went the humidity (75 % !). Just before Christmas, I went into the attic to get the Christmas decorations down and water started dripping from the utility shield overlay they had left to cover the stairway. Upon checking I found water was condensating under the aluminum sheeting and soaking the insuation below...I had found the source of the higher humidity in my home.

On 1/4/2010, I called Utility Management Association in Belden, MS and the customer service rep was very concerned about this problem and promised to do whatever was necessary to resolve this issue and make things right. But he told me his crew was out due to the holiday and would return the following week and that he would certainly get back in touch with me and schedule something to be done. Well, as you might have guessed, I have not heard from him. I have called several times and have yet to speak with him. I have left voice messages and he has not returned my calls. Today I was told by a "temporary" receptionist that they were in the process of moving their office and he was out. I don't konw if anyone else has had this problem before, but if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do to resolve this condensation problem, please let me know. I am concerned that I will have to replace my entire ceiling if I don't soon get a resolution!
    Thanks

• C
      Jan 21, 2010

Everyone has an opinion based upon their knowledge. Limited expert knowledge most always brings about an opinion that is not based upon the true facts. The fact is that the products do work and there are always similar products on the market to compare with. The fact is that the Utility Sheild that Utility Management sells is far superior in quality than most of the similar products. Also the guarentee that this company gives is one of the best. We pay for what we get based upon the integrety of the person or company selling it to us. Utility Management will be around for many years to come based upon their track record. Regardless of all the blogs and complaints from individuals that are not satisfied does not reflect the true integrity of a company that has satisfied hundreds of thousands satisfied customers. You cannot please all of the people all of the time with any business that exists. But, you can satisfy most of the people who truly have the understanding and the satisfaction the products do certainly work and are saving them money each month on their utility bills. Wake up America and start saving as you should by giving Utility management Association a chance to prove that they are a large and very successful company that strives to satisfy the consumer. Finally, shame on those who need to post their negative opinion about a company that is striving to satisfy all its customers and help them to save money by a simple investment. Besides, where can you possibly get a return of a minimum of 30% plus on your investment with a guarentee?

Jan 22, 2010

The tax credit has been reaapproved for UMA's Product

Jan 23, 2010

the real answer is mike jr. as you notice half a pg back he had nothing but good things to say about UMA, he was the national sales director at the time, his father was the president of the company. Since he writes as himself and than the real answer you can see that or guess he was fired. they were fired the week of christmas. now they blog about how bad the company is they once loved. only hurting the people that worked for them in the past. Mike the war is with you and Gary, could you please stop taking food out of my families mouth and move on...thanks, all of the energy consultant world

• B
      Jan 27, 2010

I read all the negative stuff on this site and wonder who is behind the slander. Could it possibly be a recently fired disgruntled employee? The utility shield once again qualifies for the tax credit. That alone should attest for the utility shields effectivness.

Jan 28, 2010

UMA is a joke I worked first hand with them! They never can cover ALL of the house! I also have seen first hand UMA's DRUG use, many sales reps and installers!DO NOT FALL PREY They prey on the ELDERLY GOING from to town tricking people to buy their product! I worked the whole month of November and have not been PAID! Watch OUT FOR UMA they are CROOKS! DO NOT FALL PREY!!!

Jan 28, 2010

Utlity Management is ONE BIG SCAM! They will try to smooth talk you dont let it happen. Why do they sell to the elderly??Because they wont get up in the attic and check. Dont let these DRUG USERS IN YOUR HOUSE!

• D
      Feb 05, 2010

Please allow me to set the record straight for everyone who reads this section.

1. Much has been said about the BBB as if it were a national service or perhaps one run by the Government to protect the buying public. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The BBB is a local business and is asigned in each seperate city. They make their money selling memberships... if you're a member you get a better rating than if you are not. Sounds like a bribe doesn't it?

2. UMA headquarters is in Tupelo or Belden (a suburb) Mississippi, but is a national company doing business in all 48 adjacent states and parts of Canada. The shear volume of inquires (not complaints) caused the Tupelo BBB ask them not to be associated with them.

3. As far as the products themselves: UMA sells top quality materials, professionally installed, and backed by the best guarantee in the industry. Can you buy something similar cheaper? Yes you can. Is it the same? No it isn't. Can you go on line and save moeny? Sure. You can also go on line and buy a new car cheaper than at a dealership. But then try to get that car repaired under warranty, or dealership service. Good luck.

4. After checking out the people who posted articles on this site, I have found that most of the posting on this site are by former employees of UMA that have been let go for various reasons. By what I am reading, I would assume it to be because they have a real problem telling the truth.

• P
      Feb 16, 2010

BBB cautions Cheyenne residents to beware of free dinner
    By Staff
    November 5, 2008 --
    CHEYENNE — A gloomy economy mixed with reports of increasing home-heating costs has many homeowners looking at ways to increase energy efficiency. Why wouldn’t anyone want to attend a free dinner to learn how to “save up to 45 percent on your utility bills?”

Doug Powell of Cheyenne is one of many Cheyenne homeowners who received a postcard promoting the informational dinners at Poor Richard’s on Nov. 10 and 12. He was intrigued, but two red-flag questions arose: Why wasn’t the sponsor’s name on the mailer and isn’t “up to 45 percent” savings too good to be true?

So he called the BBB serving greater Wyoming.

According to BBB Reliability Reports, the company -- Utility Management Association LLC in Belden, Miss. -- sells a “reflective technology” product called Utility Shield that the company claims will result in energy savings. Consumers report the company also sells water heater insulation, energy-saving showerheads and other products.

The BBB of Mississippi began compiling information about the company in November 2005 after receiving numerous calls and complaints from consumers. It has received 23 complaints in the last 36 months; seven of those in the last 12 months. Complaints have been about selling practices, advertising, service and guarantee and warranty issues.

The BBB has been unable to independently verify or disprove the energy-savings from radiant barrier technology in homes. Many experts in the field agree that the use of reflective materials can result in energy savings -- if properly installed. However, homeowners need to understand there are several variables involved in the consumption of energy in heating or cooling a home, including age of the structure and how well it’s insulated.

In response, Utility Management Association reports that it does “not guarantee” specific results. That company has sent documentation of its practices and has committed to work with the BBB to address the issues that have caused concern.

When it comes to installing energy-saving devices or products, your BBB advises:

Thoroughly read any materials, contracts and warranties provided by the company.
    Check with your local utility company to get a history of your energy usage. In addition, many utilities provide free information about ways to save energy and reduce bills.
    If the product is installed, regularly monitor utility consumption, noting factors that positively and negatively affect usage (such as installing new appliances and other energy-saving devices).
    Start with trust. Before making a purchasing decision, consumers should first check the company out at www.wynco.bbb.org or call [protected] or [protected] for reliable consumer tips and information.

Feb 25, 2010

We signed a contract 2 days ago with a 3 day cancellation policy that is common to all sales in your home as far as I know. We were told the wrong payment amount on the loan, not left paperwork for the loan stating the interest rate, guaranteed that we would recoup our investment in 2 years only to find that the company won't honor refund guarantee for 5 years (if then?). Due to all of this we decided to fax the notice of cancellation to the company. None of the fax numbers is working. There is no dial tone for any of the fax numbers - the ones on the paperwork, the one listed on the BBB website, nor the one listed on the UMA website. I could see that perhaps they wouldn't work after business hours, but these numbers have no dial tone at all when I try to fax the cancellation notice. I feel at this point that this company is running a scam and I'm very unhappy about that. I will be overnighting this to the address stated in the paperwork and calling the loan company to complain. If that does no good I'll file a complaint about the loan company. I am not a happy camper and won't take this lying down.

• V
      Mar 05, 2010

I just had a bad experience in North Carolina as of week of March 3rd. Went to the dinner presentation, it was explained that there would be no pressure. When 2 sales reps came out to the house, they went on and drew up the paper work, I was hesitant about signing, but they kept saying that since it was a proposal I had 3 days to cancel. When I got in touch with rep on Friday the 5th, I told him I decided I wasn't going through with it and my answer was "no" and that I don't make hasty decisions and that I had consulted an expert that works f0r a power company. He got all bent out of shape and said those guys didn't know anything about their products. I then told him that since I have known this person for 30 or more years that whatever research he came up with is what I would make my decision based upon. Rep then proceeded to apply the pressure sales antic, you mean to tell me you'd rather pay $6000 for it later when you can get it for $3ooo and some dollars now. I told him I know how those pressure sales antics work and if I would decide to purchase it later if they really wanted to sell these products, then they would be willing to sell or negotiate price. He proceeded to start ranting on the phone and I told him I didn't have to listen to this type of thing and "goodbye" and I hung up. These are blatant "con artists" that try to insult one's intelligence and "beat" you out of your money by applying these high power pressure antics. A true salesman would have told the consumer that if they didn't want their product or wanted to think about it further that this is okay and to just let them know and would have thanked the potential customer for their time. I also forgot to mention how he told me that I was obligated to pay the $3000 and some dollars and I told him no I wasn't because I had 3 days to cancel it. I faxed in the cancellation form and then called to see if I could talk to someone, never could reach a human being only their voice messages. I left a message about what happened and that I didn't expect to receive a response since no one was answering their phone and sure enough, I didn't receive a reply phone call. Beware these people are con artists/scammers and possibly could be physically dangerous. Ladies, don't make the mistake I made and have them come to your home with just you alone. I'm lucky that God protected me during this situation as I could have been found dead. So public, BEWARE AND BEWARE. Lucky in North Carolina to have been spared.

Mar 11, 2010

Hi all we bought this product last 10 months ago but me and my husband were very much pleased with the company Utility Management Association because we save money from our utility shield. We got 4 products utility shield, power mizer, water heater wrap and shower heads we didn't regret for having it . Thanks for the sales man here in North Carolina

Mar 11, 2010

How come Utility Management Association a scam? In fact they got financing GE and WELLS FARGO !

• R
      Apr 17, 2010

This is why they are changing their name to Energy Improvements now. So they can get away from the UMA name and therefore re-nig on all warranties..