USG joint compoundasbestos containing building materials

Incident = Nov 1997 I purchased new USG joint compound from Home Depot, San Carlos, CA and it was used to texture my walls and ceiling throughout the entire house. During this process I and my contractor were exposed thoroughly to dust from sanding the texturing material. A mandatory asbestos survey (inspection) was done 9/08 prior to obtaining a demolition permit for the home, and up to 2% chrysotile asbestos was found in the texturing only throughout the entire house (all the wallboard was found to be negative). I provided all documentation including the receipts for purchase and invoice from the contractor, as well as the survey and abatement bid to the Home Depot manager in San Carlos (Scott Kubiak). He referred it to their insurer Segwick. They then referred me to the USG corporation, which has already gone bankrupt through asbestos litigation and will not help at all (they have a fund to dole out only to people who can demonstrate current health effects). Segwick
(who also has all the documentation) has said they will not address this at all, after trying and failing to alter the asbestos survey report. Home Depot is disavowing all responsibility for the asbestos and will do nothing. They state they "cannot" do anything once it has been turned over the their insurer.
Damage Resulting = Respiratory exposure to aerosolized asbestos (my family including 3 kids, also various workers performing the initial application and also repairs).
$8000 asbestos abatement also required by the local air management board. All I asked from Home Depot was to reimburse me for the asbestos abatement. They and their insurer Sedgwick have while initially refusing to return my emails and calls for 2 months (until I contacted the Better Business Bureau), then told me they are "closing the books" and told me that legal action is my only remedy, go ahead and sue.