Universal rent a car Mississaugafraudulent practices

I

I rented a car on line with Univeral rent a car in Mississauga, Ontario. Despite strange attitude in the office I signed all papers and took over a car for one week. Returned in the same good condition back early in the morning and heading for airport. Several days later I found out I was charged CAD $ 1000 more without any call or email. I have called therefore to the office where a man (most probably Pakistani, who acted as a manager or owner) started attaking me, why I am calling I made a "damage" on the car and repeated with high voice and unproffesional manner I had signed that any damage will be deducted for that sum. Finally I found out that it was said on the front glass of the car was very small hole from probably stone which hit the screen... I have asked if the rent a car has changed the screen or made any repair.. as the change of the screen either repair cannot reach the sum of 1000 CAD. The representative started nervously yelling at me- then I undertood of course they will do not change the sceen ... then the man hanged up the phone telephone with me. I have found out that this is very bad and unfair, even fraudulent practice towards clients, because whatever negletable is at the car you might not realize or fabricated by them later without your presence as in my case. When you will ask for any information or explanation-forget it! They will show you right away how they value their customers and how they make a real money! I believe they make money in this way, this is a company policy. My experience as a foreign tourist in Canada had to change my previous positive opinion.

• Aa
    Aamir Ehsan Aug 03, 2008

You could just call your credit card company and ask them to chargeback the unknown $1, 000. As a VP credit card business in a major bank I could tell you burden of proof for chargeback complaints fall back on the merchant (in your case the car rental company) and are almost always reveresed in favor of customers. On top of that merchants with higher chargeback complaint history receive higher interest and charges from acquiring banks and may eventually lose their ability to accept credit cards. Pick up the phone and call your bank now.

Not all Pakistanis are bad, I'm one too!