Universal Gift Ventures / TheDVDPlanet.orgFake company!

We ordered dvds from this company payed our money and then no product was shipped. No contact with the company was possible they do not return emails. They have no phone numbers available. They took us for a lot of money that we did not have. We have two children and we are a one income family. We will struggle to recover from this. Hope someone can advise us, how to get our money back!

Mamie Mar 16, 2008

Did anyone ever get their DVD's?????
    thanks.
    Mamie

• Te
    Teri Singer Jan 07, 2008

I placed an order in oct and they said my credit card declined and at the end of nov they said the item was being shipped and I already ordered them from another vendor. So I contacted the company and asked if the order was being shipped and they said no my credit card declined. I thought that was the end of it! On dec 23 I started to recieve the order. I mailed it back and I'm waiting for a full refund. I think you should get a better system of web bussiness with an 1-800# for problems such as this.

• Lc
    LC Loshbaugh Jan 04, 2008

I ordered the Carol Burnett series on 10-23-07. - I was promised every episode ever made and that there would be a slight delay as they only order them after they receive a request. - $75.00 with shipping.
    After over a month of waiting, at least I received my "order" which turned out to be 8 home-made dvd's which were copied off the TVLand programs.
    Very poor quality! And of course, not all episodes were there as stated. Came from Canada. Ripped off and a bogus company for sure! My Visa debit card has no recourse for me. But I'm watching my account for any future charges to it!

• Be
    bernie mcgarry Jan 04, 2008

I was rip off as well bought the spenser for hire series and got dvd that dont work and were recorderd off of life time i am a over the road truck driver and been looking for a way to contact them with no results.

G Morris Jan 03, 2008

The Plot Thickens.
    Be ready to hand over to the police, purchases from this company IF they were delivered as they contain fingerprints of employees who may have been involved.

News Just in...
    The RCMP have seized thousands of counterfeit DVDs of popular American TV shows and arrested eight people suspected of masterminding a black-market scam to sell the videos.

Mountie investigators raided an undisclosed Montreal location Tuesday where they found thousands of illegal DVD copies of shows like The Six Million Dollar Man and Ally McBeal, as well as 200 DVD burners.

Eight people were arrested and face several fraud charges under the Canadian Criminal Code and Copyright Law.

The RCMP believe the DVDs were burned in Montreal and sold widely across North America through several internet sites.

The counterfeit DVDs were sold at market prices which led buyers to believe they were purchasing original copies.

Canada's national police force warned consumers to be vigilant when buying DVDs online. Counterfeit versions are typically of poorer quality, the RCMP said at a press conference Wednesday.

People who believe they've bought counterfeit versions can contact the RCMP at [protected], or the Canadian Association of Film Distributors at [protected].

Marge Graham Jan 03, 2008

I order smurfs collection for my granddaughter for a gift. The order was placse througha webb site under hanna-barbera. The collection cost 69.99. The charge show up on my credit card and it is now one month later and I still have not recieved my dvds. I received notice that they were shipped on dec 15th. I called a 800 phone number and they told me I was mistaken that the webb site I ordered from must have been dvdplanet.com. My husband has notified our credit card companyso maybe the charge will be corrected.

• Su
    Susan Todd Jan 03, 2008

I purchased a dvd collection through a link on Amazon.com. It was shipped through CanadaPost and was from DVD Collections dba Universal Gift Ventures. Now Amazon has no record of my purchase saying my purchase was made through someone else. The email they gave me to follow up was DVD Collections/uk. They deny any connection. Amazon has not been very helpful even when told the tapes I received were bootlegged. This whole thing is a mess. Any help in tracking these people down would be great. Please be careful ordering through Amazon as they now seem to have a "buyer beware" attitude.

G Morris Jan 03, 2008

Hi,

Things appear to be moving in the right direction, as DVD planet.org are no longer operating. Just to clarify, DVD.org appears NOT to be the same outfit as DVD.com. and hence they are investigating the situation and hope to have the matter resolved soon.

Do not enter any personal details into DVD donkey or any similar sites as they do not use encrypted software. I did a bogus order with them to test them out and the page that you place your credit card details on , does not turn from http to https and no padlock secure logo in the right hand corner of the address bar as it should if it is secure.

I tried to inform Google that they were potentially sponsoring fraudulent websites but without sucsess.yo u seem to have a better chance of having an audience with the queen. ie; to date.DVD donkey are still up and running. Finally one telltale sign that a legitimate buisness has been cloned is the end of the adrress ie; .org should not be a buisness but a charity or non profit making organisation, hence ORG. .com is the registration for commerce or .biz for buisness. So if you see anyone trading under .ORG then do some detective work.

Regards GM.

• Da
    David Jan 01, 2008

theDVDPlanet.org was shut down. Assume as part of the recent DVD piracy busts in Montreal - or at least their supplier got caught! Go check out the lame "We're not accepting any more orders" replacement on thedvdplanet.org website.

Victory for the good guys. Now get after the dvddonkey, tvaddicts sites - same people, same scam, same priacy.

Anita Dunbar Dec 31, 2007

I also got scammed. At least I feel better knowing what is going on. I ordered DVD set on 11-29-07, received 2 bogus tracking numbers & have yet to receive either the product or any response from the "customer service". I am going to do all I can to report these actions to the appropriate persons.

G Morris Dec 29, 2007

I have not lost too much money to date however, like all of you, i have learned a lesson that I hopefully will not repeat. Buying online is a minefield for the eneducated and the complacent.
    There are a checklist of things to do that in hindsight I wish I had known about.
    As I speak my lawyer has filed a lawsuit against these people over the issue of fraud, however the copyright issue that will be taken up by the RIIA will make any other issue seem like a sideshow if they catch up with them.
    Anyway.
    For your benefit heres the advice.

Online Shopping: A Safety Checklist
    You're browsing the Web and found a great buy on a jacket: good price, in your size, and just the right color. But is it safe to buy online? What can you do to make sure your money and privacy are protected? These simple steps can improve your online shopping experience.

Investigate the Seller

Anyone can sell things online, so it is a good habit to check out the online seller before you make a purchase. Make sure the Web site gives the business' name, mailing address (more than a post office box) and telephone number. You need to know how to reach the seller so if you can't find a working phone number, go somewhere else. Type the site's name into a search engine. If you find unfavorable reviews, you may be better off doing business with someone else. Are you familiar with the seller's merchandise or services? Can you tell exactly what you're getting based on the site's description or pictures? Also, do you understand all costs (including price, shipping, and taxes), delivery time, warranty information, and the return policy?

Make sure the site has clear information about what you can do if you have problems with your purchase. Some purchases may need to be returned. Know who pays the shipping costs on anything that needs to be returned. Some retailers give you extra time so gifts can be returned or exchanged; others may give just as little as a week-if they accept returns at all. Others may charge a "restocking" fee so you wouldn't get a full refund.

Check the Site's Security

Only do business with companies that use secure server technology. This works with your Web browser to scramble your personal information-such as your credit card number-as it travels over the Internet. If the site is secure, the "http" in the address bar at the top of your screen will change to "https" or "shttp" at the page where you are asked to type in payment information. You can also look for other signs that the site is secure such as a closed padlock on the browser's status bar. Always check for signs the site is safe before entering your information. Don't buy online if the site isn't secure.

Read the Site's Privacy Policy

Understand how the seller will use your personal information. Many online stores will sell information about you to other companies. But, today, companies have to let you choose whether or not the company can share your information with others. Exercise your right to "opt out" if you don't want the seller to pass to others information about you. If you don't like the privacy policy, don't deal with that retailer.

Choose Your Password Carefully

If you use a password to log on to your computer, choose a different one to make a purchase. Also, use an unpredictable combination of numbers, letters and symbols. Do not give your password to anyone who contacts you, including people who claim to be employees of online services or stores. Never use part or all of your Social Security number as a password.

Pay by Credit Card

Paying by credit card is the safest and quickest way to shop online. The federal Fair Credit Billing Act gives you the right to dispute credit card charges for goods or services that you never received, never ordered or that were misrepresented to you. So, if you have a problem with your purchase, you may be able to withhold payment while your credit card company investigates the problem.. Don't send cash or use a money-wiring service because you'll have no way to get your money back if something goes wrong.

Also, if a thief has used your credit card, you are usually responsible for only the first $50 in charges. For additional security, you can ask your credit card company about getting a "single-use" credit card number that allows you to buy online using a temporary card number.

Keep a Record

Be sure to print and file a copy of your order and confirmation number in case you have a problem with your purchase. Keep a written record of the product description and price, shipping and handling costs. By law, online businesses must deliver merchandise within 30 days of purchase or notify you if there will be a delay. Read your credit card statements as soon as you get them to make sure there aren't any unauthorized charges.

Turn it Off

When you are finished shopping, turn off your computer. Leaving it on all the time is a perfect opportunity for scammers to install malicious software and then control your machine remotely to commit cyber crime.

• Hk
    HKoltermann Dec 27, 2007

I too was scammed. I have sent 8 emails in last 8 days with no response. They billed my credit card and are totally non-responsive. I'm calling my credit card co. to see if they can do anything.

Megoddammit Dec 27, 2007

Correction from above post. Type in Planet Entertainment, Inc. - TVdvdplanet.com

and find the name and address on page 2 and look at the bottom paragraph on page 5.

• Br
    Brian BEar Dec 27, 2007

I too ordered the Carol Burnett Show. I did receive it today but it is merely a taping off of TV LAND. Quality is poor. I have emailed them asking for a full refund.

Megoddammit Dec 27, 2007

I might have found the owner's name and address.

Google in Planet Entertainment, Inc. - TVDVDPlanet.com and read the legal documnet. The name is Alan Knight. Page 2 shows his name and phone number. The last paragraph of page 5 is interesting as well.

Spread the word and fight back.

• Ve
    veronika Dec 27, 2007

yes I ordered a dvd set from dvdavenue.tv at the beggining of december and I have the same problem as all of you they never sent me my order. They give you a fake tracking number for canadapost. You cant contact them through the phone and they dont reply your emails and talking to them via live chat is like talking to a dummie they do absolutely nothing except repeat there having system problems, there sorry for the delay, it will be there soon, we will check with our supervisor, we assure you that your order will be there soon. Its the same BS they are mabor co artists. DO NO DO BUISNESS WITH ANY OF THESES SITES. I REPEAT BUYER BE AWARE. Yes they will immediately charge you for your order.

James W. Cox Dec 26, 2007

EVERYONE..Go to your bank (if you used a debit card) or call your credit card issuer and file an affidavit of complaint due to fraud. You should eventually have the money returned to your bank account (or the charge on your credit card will be reversed). The DVD Planet / Universal Gift Ventures is not a legitimate business.

If you get any resistance from your bank or credit card company, threaten them with legal action as well. There is no legitimate reason to deny you a refund/credit after they have completed an investigation. (In the US the banks and credit card issuers are allowed 2 weeks. I don't know what the rule is in Canada, but I'd bet it's similar.)

Lastly, file formal (written) complaints with every state/provincial and federal agency (in the US and Canada) that deals with consumer protection, banking, and/or retail credit. You can use the same letter for each complaint. Make sure you include as much relevant detail as you can. If enough pressure is put on enough agencies, eventually these jerks will be prosecuted.

Megoddammit Dec 26, 2007

I got screwed as well but I am fighting back.

I contacted and complained to:

Cyberbit - their bank, Geotrust and Trustwave - helps them with credit card purchases, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police - online crimes, The Canadian Better Business Bureau and my credit card company.

I may have found the name of the owner - Alan Knight. Type in planet Entertainment, Inc vs Alan knight and read the ddocument, wspecially at the end of page 5.

Spread the word and fight back. I hope this helps.

Megoddammit Dec 26, 2007

I got ripped off as well and am going after them.

Here is some info.

Names: Unsure if they are real
    Brian Lawson - management
    Paul Jacob - Owner
    marcus Stroud - Manager
    Brock nelson- Customer Service manager

Phone #'s - again may not work but try them

They also go by the name Universal Gift Ventures

I have contacted - The Better Business Bureau of Mid-Western and Central Ontario www.bbbmwo.ca/

- www.trustwave.com - provides company with visa transactions

- cyberbit - the bank they use, just type in cyberbit and you can contact the company

- Royal Canadian Mountain police online crime unit at recol.ca/complaint

federal trade Commission at ftc.gov

Geotrust - just go to the dvd planet website and click on geotrust logo at the bottom.

I am not going to get scammed. Let's knock this company on its' ###.

Hope this helps.

Malinda Dec 24, 2007

I have been suckered as well! I ordered a dvd collection and I was given a tracking number, but the product was shipped to a totally different state!! I have gotten the same short, no real answer emails! BEWARE OF thedvdplanet.org

James Phillips Dec 24, 2007

I ordered dvds on the 16th November, when I hadn't received them by 14th December I notified them and they sent me an email saying they problems with their database and that they would send manually and I should receive in 6 days. Well its Christmas day and my mother goes without a gift she was really lokking forward to. They should be ashamed.

• Rh
    Rhonda Gervais Dec 22, 2007

At least I know I'm not alone in this. I ordered the Carol Burnett DVD collection the beginning of December and no package yet. 70.00 down the drain. I used my debit card so I'm not sure what the bank will do but I will be contacting them next week. Mine was a Christmas gift too. Boy I feel stupid!!!

• Gr
    GREGORIO PERRI JR. Dec 21, 2007

Hi, I ordered a CAROL BURNETT DVD COLLECTION set online @ TheDVDPLANET.org for $69.99. Apparently, the DVDs were shipped and is sitting at a Canadian Post Office since Dec. 12: 2007/12/13 18:51 OAKVILLE, ON; Item accepted at the Post office. Tracking # CX229002003CA.

I checked with USPS and there is no info on the product being shipped to the United States. Where is it? Why doesn't the USPS have any info.???? This was a Christmas gift. I think the company is a rip off. There isn't a phone # available; I have e-mailed them (online) with no response.

• Pa
    Pat Scott Dec 21, 2007

theDVDplanet.org- Copyrights violators.
    False advertising. Bootleg DVD-R copies. No responds.
    Scam after scam after scam.
    ??? How is it that VISA / MASTER CARD continues to allow them to use their services after all ???
    It is so obvious that these piraters have been given a pass. In order to take VISA, a company must meet
    high standards followed by routine checks yearly.
    ??? All these rip-offs to all of us and they're still eating away our bank accounts like a cancer ??? AMAZON will have no part of these parasites. They should have
    been shut down long ago! Come on credit card companies and big bankers - Put YOUR money where
    your mouth is. Pay YOUR legal-eagles to watch OUR
    savings. Someone's asleep at the switch. WAKE UP !!!

• Ci
    cindy morrison Dec 21, 2007

I also have a simular problem with them,except I can't get anyone to email me,I ordered from them on november 31st and it is now december 21st and I still dont have my dvda or anyone who will email me I sure wish I had a phone number to call them or at least get a tracking number from them, getting worried here, it is a christmas gift

Mark Van Beek Dec 20, 2007

This is a follow-up from my last post. I am currently working with my credit card company. I have read other posts and hear that people are receiving burned DVDs from I guess DVR recordings or copies from an original set of disks with printed labels. This is highly illegal. I have sent emails to several of the companies that produce some of the sets that they send out such as Jim Henson Productions, CBS, Warner Brothers, etc... I would highly suggest all those that receive illegal copies of movies do the same, or if you did not get copies, still inform these companies of the dealing with this thedvdplanet aka Universal Gift Ventures. There are similar scams out there and possibly the same group of people. DVDDonkey is another one that has fairly good deals to snare you and then you get taken. I am also upset since this site was a sponsored company by google. I am still working on trying to find a good email address to tell google to stop supporting companies such as this.

• Ro
    Ron Dec 20, 2007

It seems that there is someone called Colin involved in all of this, does anyone have any info on him

Received: from unknown (HELO collindesktop) ([email protected]@24.36.118.126 with login)
    by smtp100.rog.mail.re2.yahoo.com with SMTP; 11 Dec 2007 08:55:48 -0000
    X-YMail-OSG: kVm4kOEVM1kJJULTvMMR8wdaPkZyPzoEdjVFse46q62_n.25Y14yDmctmsYcCiQ7zg--
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    From: "TheDVDPlanet.org Support" <[email protected]>

This character is linked to [email protected] , this was in the email I got from the dvdplanet.org saying all the crap they normally mention about how sorry they are.

• Ro
    Ron Dec 20, 2007

I too have had these mails and no goods.

Has anyone tracked them down yet to get their money back.

• Ed
    Edna Fritz Dec 19, 2007

I ordered dvds from dvdcollections.tv on November 17 and I still haven't received them. They said they mailed them to the wrong address and would be sending them again. They told me I could track the package but never gave me a tracking number. They also will not give me a phone number. I will be calling my credit card company and the Better Business Bureau. Crooks!!

• Lo
    louise lobo Dec 19, 2007

I ordered DVD's from this company on November 19th and received exactly the same excuses others did. I finally received them yesterday (December 18). Immediately viewed the first one and it was recorded off of TBS television station!!! It showed the logo at the bottom of the screen and they continually showed the upcoming shows at the bottom of the screen throughout the program. It had the ending of a commercial at one point. Isn't this illegal to record and sell for profit? This company needs to be stopped!!!

I am shipping them back immediately, I hope I get my refund even though I had already reported it to my credit card company last week.

Mark Van Beek Dec 18, 2007

I also ordered DVD's from this company. Wish I had did a search with the company name and fraud in the search bar. Would have learned real quick. Same story as the rest. Wrong address, delayed shipping, not tracking - the computers are down. They have been responding to my emails, but again with a song and dance to sit tight and they will be coming. I am not going to sit any longer. It has been over a month with nothing, and based off of the responses here. I am not going to get my movies. If this is happening so much why are the authorities not checking into this. Another site has a response from the company which they stated there are over 200,000 satisfied customers. If they have swindled this many people, someone should do something. I will be contacting as many people as I can to see if someone will help.. Bad DVDPlanet..

Megoddammit Dec 18, 2007

I got screwed as well. I placed an order for a dvd collection and have gotten nothing. If anyone has any information on this company, let us know so we can hunt down the ###

Marguerite Kessler Dec 18, 2007

I ordered a dvd on November 15, Today is December 18 and I still haven' received my order. No communication .

Andrew Lippman Dec 17, 2007

Identical situation. My bank is currently investigating them. They've had my money since November 9th and sent the same emails and offers of future discounts. Lovely business ethic...

• Rc
    rc Dec 15, 2007

I received the same email messages as others mentioned. Ordered on Nov. 7 and it's Dec 15 and no DVD's. Will be contacting credit card agency to credit my account and change my card number.

• Ci
    Cindy Pallme Dec 15, 2007

Those email messages are the same ones I received several times. I guess I got scammed too. Ordered on Nov. 5 and it's Dec 15 and no DVD's. Hopefully my credit card company will take the charge off. Can't someone do something to shut them down?

• To
    Tonya Leach Dec 15, 2007

I order "My Wife and Kids" DVD collection and did not receive. I also received an e-mail saying my order was sent to another address and they were going to ship by regular mail but could not give a tracking number. I immediately sent an e-mail to them requesting a refund and they have not responded. I lost $80.00 and will find a way to get my money back.

• Li
    linda stewart Dec 15, 2007

I also placed an order with them on 11/7. I was given the excuse that it was shipped to the incorrect address followed by another email that there was a problem with their shipping department and they were correcting the problem by sending the orders out manually. Furthermore, by shipping it manually it was impossible to give me a tracking number. I still haven't received them and they won't respond to my emails now.

• Li
    linda hernandez Dec 14, 2007

i order also from them and they gave me the run around too.

• Ti
    Tiru Dec 14, 2007

HDFC Bank India floated this venture. All transaction money collected from this website is deposited into a HDFC Bank owned savings account in India. HDFC have known to float many of these small ventures via website in different countries to raise money for their instant debts to avoid their crash predicted starting March end 2008.