United Airlineswill not refund mistaken fee

On Aug. 25, I was traveling from O'Hare and checked in at a kiosk, at which the printer was broken, so I couldn't print my ticket. I moved to the next kiosk and somehow when I tried to check my bag, the machine had read the bag from the previous kiosk too and charged me for two bags when I had only one. I explained to the ticket agent who sent me down the hall to another agent where I tried to get my $25 refund. The agent told me it wasn't in the system yet so I should call back several days later and gave me a number. I called back and was told they couldn't give me a refund -- I should have complained at the airport. I had done that and was told then to call customer service (something that evidently doesn't exist at United).

I not only explained my situation to a representative and then to a supervisor, but I showed documentary evidence that I was only checking one bag. Still, United refuses to return the money it took unfairly from me. What cheaters! Are they really so hard up that they can't refund money unfairly taken?

I filed a complaint with the Federal Aviation Administration, which forwarded on to United, which again told me they still wouldn't give a refund.

I would recommend people complain to FAA. It will not enforce rules against airlines but it keeps a public tally of people who complain which should embarrass companies that do things like this. United sure is getting more than $25 of bad publicity for this.

• Ti
    TINUyes Aug 10, 2009

i also faced same problem, let they knwo your ticket number with $25 charges.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices