TWX*MagazineScam practices!

I got this offer to buy 1 magazine and get a few others for 1 dollar. Then months later they renewed my subscription full price for all magazines without permission and charged my account. Beware!

• Ly
    Lynn Neff Mar 24, 2014

I have experienced the same problem. Nowhere is there a total that you know you are paying for. I was told this was free because of a purchase I made on an app for my iphone. Even if the charges were on the agreement somewhere, I still think you should not have to go looking for them. When someone says FREE, it ought to be free. I don't have things like this happen to me very often, but this really angered me. If I got scammed, then I am sure many more people out there have been scammed this way as well. I'm usually pretty good about reading the fine print, but I admit I didn't read every word of the terms. I will be much more careful from now on.

samtoken Jan 18, 2013

customer service by phone : call [protected] and keep hitting 0# for a human voice to help..good luck

samtoken Jan 18, 2013

customer service by phone : call [protected] and keep hitting "0#" for a human voice to help.. good luck

• Ex
    Expose Thieves Oct 28, 2011

Bunch of thieves, you think you are getting the head of the snake find this person David Korbusieski of the company called Synapse located in Stamford CT. 225 High Ridge Rd. East Bldg. Find him and personally let him know how his little scheme has worked for you. These are the fat cats that are causing this country to be known as a den of thieves and crooks. call the number and let them have it. The poor person on the other end of the line does not deserve abuse. I say lets get the owners and let them know just how it feels to get hit with charges and make a mess for a few dollars.

AngiGan May 05, 2011

I checked my account today and had $70 of charges on my account from a $1 'subscription' I did a year ago at an old address that I had completely forgotten about. After googling I came across this wall which was SO helpful! I called the number given above [protected]) pressed 0 (zero) to get an operator, didn't have to hold at all and was able to cancel my subscription and get a refund. They did their very best to keep me (free gas vouchers, mugs, extended subscription at no cost etc) but I wasn't interested. Just be polite, persevere and they'll give you your money back.

• Re
    readtheprint Feb 24, 2011

I too was charged for something I didnt authorize. Over Christmas I'd bought a book from Books-A- MIllion. They had free magazine subscription offers at the time. If you signed up for that, you signed up for a subscription to the magazine of your choosing. We recieved 1 magazine, if you can even call it that. Free period was 60 days and then they start debiting you card. Read the fine print...I obviously didnt read it well enough. Called company, expained situation, they told us they will cancel subscription and will have refunded our account by 1 - 2 billing cycles...We'll see.

• Eb
    Eber8602 Feb 07, 2011

I just check my account today, and I was changed 9.64 for people style, by TWX. I wasn't aware that I signed up for People Style, only aware of Entertainment Weekly and People. So I called the number FYE gave me, and with in three minutes I was off the phone, and they refunded my money and cancelled the subscriptions. So just skip all of the automated stuff by pressing zero twice, and It will send you right to a call center rep. They were very polite!

• Na
    nathan1342 Nov 16, 2010

Look Guys everyone signs up for this offer. They dont charge you without your permission. When you sign up for the "free" offer it is free until after like 4-5 issues. Then they send you a very plain mailer that asks if you want to cancel or not. I thought it was junk the first time i got it and never bothered reading it. This is very easy to fix. just call their 1877 number press 0 until you get an operator then just ask them to cancel and refund you. They will do it without any questions or arguing. Its very easy. So geez people stop complaining, call them, and be nice. They will refund it and you will be home free. In the future just don't sign up for free magazines.

Anamari Nov 16, 2010

Well, so I canceled 2 out of 3 subscriptions and I though it went through o.k. as I did not receive them in a couple months. And still I got charged for them …

I don’t get it. I talked to Ben Smith and told I will receive a refund for those two magazines. He told me I never canceled ? Well than why haven't I received them since this summer. I hope the return will be sooner rather than later, because they cause my account to overdraft and I am tired of paying all kind of fees out of my pocket.

Ana

Sara 20100 Nov 13, 2010

So when you call TWX yelling at them because you said no, when you probably said yes, just know that whoever offered you the subscription pushed it through, NOT THIS COMPANY. So stop yelling at the person on the other end of the phone who is there to help you. Go back and yell at the person or place that offered it to you.

Sara 20100 Nov 13, 2010

People nothing in life is free. Read your terms and conditions. It does say on your sales slip right on the bottom of the slip and it is not in fine print that you will be charged for the magazines after the free trial if they are not canceled. You people who complain are just stupid, do you know how to read? Everyone is in such a hurry and they never read the terms and conditions they just hear free and except, and then when they are charged for the magazines they are like, I never authorized these charges, WELL YES YOU DID. Even online offers there are 2 boxes that have to be checked off before you except the offers but people will say I never did that. PEOPLE TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS. It's like having a magazine for 10 years and then calling in and saying what is this charge for I never authorized this charge, well you have been getting the mag for 10 years and you now just realize your being charged for it, or I have never received the mag, PEOPLE STOP BEING SO STUPID AND TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR YOUR ACTIONS. My child is only 15 and he/she didn't do this and this is fraud and blah blah blah well what kind of parent gives there kid a credit card, oh lets see probably an irresponsible one. I am just sick of hearing people [censor] about there own stupid mistakes. They do send post cards because I always get mine. So when ever you are offered something LISTEN AND READ THE TERMS NOTHING IS FREE FOREVER AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO EXCEPT ANY FREE OFFERS.

• Le
    Lester in Vermont Oct 08, 2010

Listen, we all get it. We should read the terms. Anyone who reads the terms of all of their subscriptions, software, DRM, etc would have no time to enjoy their purchase. That being said, we SHOULD read it. If we do not, we risk the chance of getting involved in this sort of low brow service. It is a conscious effort to mislead and take advantage. Consumers are lazy and they know it.

A company who uses this sort of tactic is not all that great but we get what we bargain for. I called on getting the CC and cancelled. They make you spend 15 minutes on the phone but it was fine. I will see if they do what they say. If after two billing cycles, they do not credit me, this will be moved up the ladder to another method.

I get burned once and that is on me. Next time, it is on them.

Jason is right - Nothing is Free, except industry magazines that I pay nothing for and still cannot cancel them!

Good luck everyone.

• Eb
    ebib18 Oct 01, 2010

IMPORTANT: Everything is clearly there in the terms and conditions. Actually, in most cases, it is UNDERLINED in the terms and conditions. Notices ARE sent out and obviously if you think that it is free then you aren't looking for the notice. Things are easily overlooked if you aren't expecting them. Another thing to keep in mind, this company is a preferred magazine vendor. They have deals with other companies, and it is the responsibility of the other companies to provide you with the necessary information and make you away of the offer. So when you call TWX yelling at them because you said no, just know that whoever offered you the subscription pushed it through, NOT THIS COMPANY. Stop being so naive. This company is very legit. I called in once because I decided to cancel my magazine subscription going forward and they were kind enough to offer me a refund and a discounted rate instead. Does your mind shut down when you hear the word free?? Seriously, come on...

• 01
    010309mommy Aug 08, 2010

Well The lady on the phone said that I ordered a magazine from FYE. She then said when I signed up for "Maxim Magazines" the first 60 days were for free and all it said was that is was a free subscription. Mind you this was in 2008! I am just now being charged. It put my account in the negative...Needless to say she is refunding me my $15.00 and it should be back in there by the end of the week!

• Ms
    M. s.K. Aug 07, 2010

I received this magazine offer through Steinmart, Spring 2010. I've only received two cooking light magazines and none of the other ones I signed up for. I was told by the cashier to save my receipt so I could cancell it before they started billing me. But life hapened to me and I forgot to cancel it. Now I have 4 sporadic charges of anywhere from 11 bucks to 8 dollars to 13 dollars and so on. I wasn't expecting to get anything for free. I just expect them to deliver what they promised or cancel my account. There's a special place in hell for deceivers, anyway.

Charles1940 Jul 28, 2010

Well TWX is still at it. My card was just billed twice. Have no idea why. I've submitted a fraud complaint and cancelled my card. I did an email search and found no record of an email from them. I have never ordered a magazine from them.

• Nc
    ncgirl84 Jul 19, 2010

We were billed randomly, I say randomly because we didn't know where the charges were from. Turns out the guy told me on the phone they were from a deal my husband signed up for at FYE over FOUR years ago in 2006. He had cancelled a long time ago, and they even had his old address, so of course we are not getting anything in the mail. The guy tried to explain that it pops up again on a renewal cycle...renewal four years later? Seriously? Anyways, I did what the other posts said before about calling the number, and fortunately I just mashed 000000s over and over until I got an operator and got through pretty quickly. They kept trying to get me to sign up for other free trials, so be careful and make sure you cancel all. And make sure to ask for a confirmation number b/c it wasn't offered without asking. They say they will refund it...so we'll see...

Here's the steps repeated from earlier posts that should work:
    1. Call # [protected]
    2. During the automated menus press 00, the system will ask you a few times if you're sure you want an operator, just keep telling it yes.
    3. Once you get the operator on the phone just stay calm and polite and explain to them that you were surprised to see these charges show up and you just want to cancel the subscriptions and get a full refund.

• Fu
    Fun4LAS Jul 14, 2010

I haven't any idea how I was signed up for these three magazines through this company! I don't take telemarketer calls. The only aspect which may be correlated is I ordered magazines through spirit.com to receive a discount on my airline ticket. I did cancel those last year before the trial period. Perhaps they tried to charge again?

Either way, I used my debit card and noticed the charges all within several days of each other on my bank statement. Fortunately, the charge included the toll free number. Yes, it's automated and you will spend the better part of 1/2 an hour in the cycle - especially if you have more than one magazine to cancel because after each cancellation you are given at least two additional sales pitches to keep you as a customer.

I was given cancellation verification numbers and told it would be credited within 1-2 business days . Notably, the recording also said this may take 1-2 billing cycles on my credit card before it was credited. Not sure how that pans out mathmatically, but I'm counting on it taking place sooner since it was my debit card. I'll respond with whether or not I was credited!

• Bl
    blueberri78 Jun 08, 2010

THIS IS BS! I just found this charge on my credit card from a purchase I made at Ulta a few months ago. They have no right to do this. The terms and conditions are on the receipt, you don't get your receipt until after you make your purchase. When I slid my card at Ulta I agreed to pay for the amount of the items I had purchased NOT THE "FREE" MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION THEY OFFER.

MAKK Jun 02, 2010

Saw a charge from TWX on my Amex card. Was going to dispute until I saw this thread.
    Called the CS # that was included in the detailed charges section of my account.
    This was an automated response system. went through the prompts. Wanted to cancel but the automated system tried to sell the same mag I wanted to cancel by making me another offer. LOL.
    In the end I canceled since they were sleazy by not notifying me that I was gonna be charged beforehand.
    Received an automated cancellation confirmation # too.
    Was quick and easy but took a few minutes.

• Ra
    rajesh_k Jun 01, 2010

Yes I agree they charge you without warning but twx is not as bad as made out to be...Just visit www.magcustomerservice.com. Provide the subscription information and you can cancel all charges from the website itself. It will also provide a confirmation number.

• Th
    the pen is mightier than the sword May 22, 2010

I just noticed a suspicious charge on my account and came across this site while investigating it. I had signed up for "3 free issues" of a mag and I did actually cancel the subscription before the time shown in the fine print. I called the 1800 number and the telemarketer started to go off on the fine print BS so I cut her off and gave her a line of BS (knowing full well that without a confirmation number of cancelation they were going for it). I said in a stern voice that I have no interest in their products or business, and that I was well aware of their fraudulent service and unreputable business. I then proceeded to use the same lawyer technique that she had taken with me. I wasn't not about to accept no for an answer. I told her that the charge was going to overdraw my account and that she needed to remove it immediately.

Her voice softened in defeat and told me it would be returned in 1-2 business days blah bla blah and I asked for a confirmation number. GET A CONFIRMATION NUMBER.

• Re
    ReRe20 Mar 31, 2010

Thats because none of read anthing before you sign the people at the store are obviously going to skip the part about renewal charges get smart and read the terms and conditions before you blame somebody else for your stupidity. whatever happens at the store have nothing to do with those who are available to help you fix your mistakes. Get real and stop being mad at what you failed to read.

• De
    DestroZerou Mar 11, 2010

I am an FYE employee. Just a lowly associate. They do NOT tell us anything about this "free magazine thing" that we are promoting. It's my job, they make me do it, it's how our company is ranked in the district and there is a LOT of pressure put on us to get people to sign up for them. I got this job to sell music and DVDs, not to rip people off.

If you are after blood, don't go for the stores themselves, it's not our fault. We do what we are told while the fat cats sit up on top and sop up all the money. I do the best I can to explain everything thoroughly and I don't leave anything out. They just tell us that it's free for 2 months, and that they will send you a card after the 2 months to cancel.

I signed up for the magazines myself to see what the whole process was. I tried to call the number on the back of the pamphlet and got really really confused... so I went to the internet for help.

CALL [protected]. You talk to a REAL person who will REALLY cancel everything. My 2 months weren't up yet, nor were any charges made, and the lady said they were canceled. We shall see if that is true.

If need be, I will start giving out this phone number to customers to ensure they don't rip people off... since you know, not promoting these magazines will cost me my job.

• To
    Touchofmeaness Mar 06, 2010

my daughters ( a minor) account was charged $11 for a magazine. She had gotten some free issues through FYE and shee told them at the time she did not want to subscribe, but they gave her the free issues anyway. I assume they got her banking information from FYE. We will dispute the charge with our bank and I don't imagine they can legally do this to a minor child. We will see how it turns out.

• In
    Ingenious Feb 19, 2010

I called and disputed the charges. They said it will be off my account in 72 hours. I used a number above :

• In
    Ingenious Feb 19, 2010

I signed up in December for 3 Free months. They just charged my card for $58.50. I am outraged. I never received ANY fine print for this! I am not sure what to do. I will call this number in the post above mine. I've NEVER had this happen before!!!

• Ni
    Nikki916 Feb 09, 2010

For all of you that say it's the customer's fault for not "reading the fine print" - there was no fine print. I didn't sign anything, and did not receive a renewal notification, but got charged $58.50. However, instead of calling the number listed on my bank account, I called [protected] (which I got from another complaint website) and immediately spoke to someone who refunded the money within 72 business hours (actually took less time than that). She did try to get me to keep my subscription by offering other deals, but when I declined she took care of it. Call the number!!!

• Ki
    Kim Narramore Jan 24, 2010

This company has more complaints than I have seen in a long time. Theycharged an unauthorized charge of 87.00 dollars from my account. and it took about an hour for me to get a live person to get this cancelled. I had a 5.99 try for six month charge for some mags I ordered and then I cancelled prior to the next billing cycle, which the told me to do so that after the initial 5.99 fee I would not get charged again. Of course I did. This magazine has learned how to scam and make a quick buck. Get out and find a real job instead of taking people's money on some fricken little technicality or fine print that one did not read. It is a crock. They get you with this small fee for something and then turn around and start cashing in on people's checking accounts hoping that it will get overlooked. i think it is a crooked practice and should be illegal. Unfortunately, it is not. Be careful, and I have learned to stay off those sights; and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

• Tw
    TWX#HATER Jan 22, 2010

WELL, AS A 100% DISABLED VET, AND NO SUCKER, I GOT BILLED AS I AGREED TO TAKE A CUSTOMER SURVEY...THIS HAPPENS JUST AFTER I FINISH UP ORDERING A WATCH FROM WORLD OF WATCHES...AND I HAD ALWAYS BEEN REALLY HAPPY WIHT THEM UNTIL THIS IMMEDIATLEY-POPPING UP 'ADDENDUM' OFFER OF 100$ CREDIT FOR A CUSTOMER SURVEY!...THEY ASK IF MY CARD DATA IS STILL THE SAME, , , TO "VERIFY", JUST GIVE THEM THE INFO "TO PROTECT MY PRIVACY" AND THEN I ANSWER A 4 PAGE SURVEY OF THE COMPANYP...THIS COMPANY IS FAMOUS OFR ITS LEGIT DISCOUNTS OF 70-90% OFF OF BRANDNAME WATCHES...AND THEN THAT I WILL AS A THANKYOU PRESENT FOR TAKING THEIR SURVEY, JUST CHARGE ME 2$ PER SUBSCRIPTION...THEN WHOOMP...'INCOMING'!!!A 49$ CHARGE HITS FOR ONE YEAR OF TV GUIDE. I CALLED THE DEBIT CARD, THEY SAID THEY CANCELLED THE CHARGE AND THAT AFTER 3 OR 4 BUS DAYS, THEY WOULD REFLECT IT AS A CREDIT ON MY CARD...GUESS WHAT...EVEN SOMEONE AS BIG AS WALMART MONEYCARD SEEMINGLY CANT HELP HELP THESE DAMNED TWX* CHARGES. THE 800 NUMBER FOR CUSTOMTER IS A VOICE PROMPTING AUTOMATON, WITH CIRCULAR LOGIC AND JUST KEEPS ASKING FOR TYE CARD NUMBDER SO "THEY CAN CREDIT THE ACCOUNT"...HOLY ###. "DUMB ONCE SHAME ON THEM, DUMB TWICE, DUMB ONME. BYW, THEY ONLY SENT ONE ISSUE OF THE MAGAZINES I SELECTED. I HOPE SOME FRAUD DIVISION GETS THESE JERKS. IF WALMART ISINT BIG ENOUGH TO DO SO, THEN PERHAPS IT IS A SCAM OF INCREDIBLE MAGNITUDE. THESE DAYS, WHO FINDS SUCH STUFF TO BE NOT POSSIBLE? WHEN I REFERENCE TWX*, SCAMS, FRAUDS, MAGAZINE FRAUDS, THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE LIKE ME. FIND EM, JAIL EM, WHIP THEM PUBLICLY! MY BEST FRIEND LIVED IN KINGDOM (SAUDI) FOR 18 YEARS AND ON MOST FRIDAYS, HE WENT TO THE JEDDAH TOWN CENTER AND WITNESSED "CRUEL" PUNISHMENTS LIKE CHOPPING OFF OF HANDSOF THEIVES AND WHIPPINGS AND STONINGS ASND BEHEADINGS AND OVER THE YEARS, HE LOOKED AT THE RARITY OF CRIMES GENERALLY./ PERHAPS WE NEED TO GET TOUGHER ON THESE ###S. IF YOU READ THE DEMOGRAPHICS OF WESTERN CULTURES REGARDING REPLACING THEIR POPULACES IE FRANCE, GERMAN, US CAUCASOIDS, ...VERSUS ISLAMICS...WE ARE GONNA REAP THE WHORLWIND AND CRIMES WILL GO DOWN. OH, YEAH, IN CROOKED COUNTRIES, IE HAITI, NIGERIA, ROMANIA, ETC...THESE SCAMS ARE MAIN SOURCES OF INCOMES.

• Ri
    _Rich_ Jan 19, 2010

Ok, I just went through this myself, the number Amanda posted was extremely helpful. If you have charges from this company on your card and you're trying to get rid of them / cancel the magazines save yourself some headache, just follow these steps:

1. Call # [protected]

The girl I spoke to was actually very pleasant and cancelled all of them for me for a full refund. I had already canceled one through the automated menus (it takes FOREVER, you want a person believe me) and I was going to get a pro-rated refund because one magazine had been sent out. She noted that and asked if I wanted her to submit a claim for me to have the full amount refunded instead. Needless to say I was rather irate seeing the charges show up but I was pleasantly surprised at how well customer service handled it once I got to an operator.

Also keep in mind that staying polite is KEY with this stuff, the people working there are likely used to being screamed at all day by understandably angry customers, when someone actually treats them like a person they are much more motivated to help you out.

• La
    Laterial Jan 12, 2010

I've just spent the last ten minutes [protected]) cancelling this subscription. I was charged an unauthorized $76 for an US Weekly subscription that I did not ask for. After spending about 5 silent minutes on the phone, I was finally transferred to an operator and was told that I'd be refunded within 72 hours and I did receive and name and confirmation number. If this problem persists, TWX can be sure this will be the last they've heard from me.

• Sm
    smd1227 Jan 07, 2010

HEADS UP. NOTHING is free. Also be very wary of anything that comes in the mail offering a $5 or other denomination thanking you for being a loyal client. Read the fine print on the back. That's usually a scam to get you hooked up in roadside service or other despicable company they're in bed with. Fragrance.com is notorious for doing this. I stopped doing business with them. BEWARE of anything that's free. IT'S NOT!!!

• Ib
    ibanezrg82 Jan 06, 2010

It is a scam, what happened to me was I used my debit card at Best Buy a year ago, and the pimply faced clerk asked me if I wanted a free subscription for 6 months to Rolling Stone, and I didn't sign anything. So this is the second time they charged me full price without any authorization whatsoever.

• Co
    CountryDaizy Dec 11, 2009

Hi,
    just wanted to say, that I DO read the fine print, and I'm sure a lot of people here have.
    And I KNOW there's no such thing as "FREE" which is why I did NOT accept the offers for "FREE" magazine trials. However, I was STILL CHARGED! GRRRR!
    Terribly frustrating.
    Best thing to do, call your credit card company, AS SOON AS YOU ARE AWARE! ask them to refund the money and if they can't immediately, then usually what happens is that first, you SHOULD DEFINITELY cancel your credit card, and they'll send you a new one, and then when a "TWX magazine" comes in, if it ever does, then call your credit card company again, and they will dispute it over with the company.
    So it's certainly hassle-free.
    That's how I handled the situation, and it took me about... 15 minutes, and now I'm stress free!

I'm sure you could also try calling them, and just having it canceled, and refunded, however, if they give you the run around, then just cancel your card. So much easier.

If you agreed to the "trial" then all you can do is cancel your card.
    If you did not agree to it though and are still being charged then that is a fraudulent charge and you still need to cancel your card, but you at least are able to get a refund for it.

john1988 Dec 08, 2009

That company is running strong and will not be shut down anytime soon, They have contracts with the publishers and with the stores that provide these 3 month magazine trials. If people read things that they are signing up for there would be more free trials to things. But since people are blinded by the word FREE they do not read S***.(If its free then theirs a catch) I have all my magazine subscription though TWX and they give me the best rate around...

• Ne
    NeinInac Dec 06, 2009

Hi. I faced the same problem and I found a simpler way to get rid of the subscription than calling the toll free number.

Got to https://www.magcustomerservice.com/wss/032578/home.do, enter your subscription details (account number that was debited by the subscription transaction and amout will suffice) and select "cancel a subscription". The site is a little slow and asks a number of tricky questions such as your willingness to accept alternate deals. Say "no thanks" to these offers and your un-subscribe is complete. I got my refund in 2 working days.

Hope this helps.

• Jr
    JR5 Dec 04, 2009

I called, they answered the phone immediately and canceling getting refunded wasn't a problem at all.

• Ci
    city101 Nov 21, 2009

"Free Magazines" were the terms used by a store representative at a clothing store called Loehmann's, and it turns out that the moment I agreed to receiving the free magazines, the store automatically transferred my account information to TWX Magazines. As a result, my account was charged over ninety dollars by the magazine company. TWX Magazine did promise to reimburse me, which was good, but the fact that my account was debited without my permission, made it wrong and very frustrating. Be aware of these companies, check your bank statements periodically to ensure that TWX Magazine is not doing the same to you.

sassybarb Nov 08, 2009

I too was had...mine was from the "innocent" Entertainment magazine, you know the one with soooooo many useless coupons to places you'd never go. I didn't see the fine print, hope this works out when all is said and done. Somehow I got took for 3 magazines and it hasn't overdrawn my account yet!! Good Luck to all!!! ^i^