TWX*MagazineScam practices!

I got this offer to buy 1 magazine and get a few others for 1 dollar. Then months later they renewed my subscription full price for all magazines without permission and charged my account. Beware!

• Ke
    Kelly Feb 28, 2008

Actually these offers are quite simple. If you read things before you sign them (like most responsbile individuals do) you would notice that the terms and conditions were right on there. They also send a postcard in the mail to the same address saying you are going to be charged and it EVEN tells you the amount. I almost threw it aways thinking it was junk mail, then realized it was a friendly reminder....So read you mail and know what you sign up for and you should be all set!

Christine Mar 03, 2008

I never recieved a postcard telling me anything about prices or renewals. As a matter of fact they the credit card that they orginal charged me on was stolen and I was given a new number and they somehow charged that card. These people are scam artists and I'm reporting them to my bank for fraud. This company should be shut down..... BEWARE!!!!!!

joanne Mar 11, 2008

I had Emusic debited out of my account... have been trying to contact the company... no luck... just the run around... called my bank and they say this is common with TWX... you sign up for a magazine using your debit card and in the fine print, you are also signing up for Emusic!... I believe its fraud and the bank should reimburse me and take it up with twx... stay tuned...

• De
    Dee Lacy Mar 16, 2008

This company is bogus! The TWX magazine company gave me a FREE 3month subscription to 3 magazines...this was a few days ago. I check my statement to find a $2.01 charge that I did not authorize..>I did not sign anything and there were no "term and conditions" I am outraged. And trying to contact them is a joke...always an automated thingy...UGH can anyone help?

Joe Morgan Mar 18, 2008

I have been trying for three months to get TWX to stop billing me and to refund my credit card charges. Yesterday, they chaarged me another $17.34. I have called my bank to have the payment stopped but they say they cannot do this. TWX says they can't find my name or order, but that is a lie because they asre billing me. If I could find a way to just eliminate them from the face of the earth I would. They are liars and thieves.

Chris Mar 26, 2008

I too have fallen victim to this company. I did NOT receive a renewal notification. And nowhere in the terms does it say that they will charge outrageously more than the magazine publisher itself charges for a subscription. I am going to try to get this rectified, but I am not confident that these swindlers will play fair.

• Am
    Amanda Mar 27, 2008

I called the store that I recieved the mag. offer because I saw a 25$ charge on my account. He gave me this # 1 877 813 4977. Call it and get through all of the automated BS, and just keep making sure that you decline all offers and finally at the end they said they will refund my money to my account in 1-2 days. Lets hope that actually happens. I hope this helps all of you! :)

~VT Hokie Girl 09

tan Mar 27, 2008

I completly disagree. I don't know if any of your cards were stolen and someone fraud used your account, but it definatly wasn't this company. They check out perfect w/ the BBB and others. Also I called and w/ the publishers and their prices were way cheaper. Example: Time through them is 114.00 per year, through the publisher was 143.00... that's a savings to me!

The $2.01 charge was just a preauth (which I had myself). They just test the account your provided w/ the purchase to ensure it's the right card. Come on people, nothing is free...and the TERMS DO SAY you will be charged...If you go in a store like FYE read the reciept if you sign up, or if you do it online read the terms and conditions. This company is 100% legimate. I think it's nice they offer you 3 months free of a 15 month subscription, the publisher doesn't offer that...

Oh and to skip the Automated "BS" just press zero twice... it's so simple... (I think that's how it works with any automated system in the world??

• Me
    Me Apr 06, 2008

In dec I ordered a subscription to one magazine. Since then I have been billed for 3 others that I did or do not want. It has caused trouble with my bank account cause as so many of us are we live paycheck to paycheck. I do not care if its a great deal compared to the actual mag because its a better deal if they dont take anything from my account. I now have bounced my rent payment because of this 58 dollars of overcharge. This is a straight up scam and you should be aware

Tanya james Apr 09, 2008

Last week, TWX debit my credit card for $114 for magazine subscriptions I've never ordered. Every time I call, its just bs and I can never get through. My bank is currently doing a fraud investigation. I dont need magazines. I process magazines everyday on my job, so whywould i subscribe? I am pissed about all of this. This company is a rip off.

BEATRIZ Apr 16, 2008

I NEED CANCEL THAT FALSE SUBSCRIPCCION .
    I NEED HELP
    PLEASE
    I CALL BUT NOTHING.

BEATRIZ Apr 16, 2008

JUST BUY ONE DVD IN FYE STORE AND START SEND FOR ME FULL MAGAZINES I NO NEED .
    THAT IS FRAUDE I NEED CANCEL. TODAY TAKE MONEY FROM MY CREDIT CARD I NO AUTIRZATION FOR THAT
    I NED HELP.

OK I HAVE GOOD NEWS...
    I CALL 18778134977 AND AFTER 25 MINUTES IN LINE TALK ME TRAVIS I CANCEL THE MAGAZINES SO REFUND MY MONEY I HAVE CONFIRMATION NUMBER FOR SECURITY.
    THANKS
    HOKIE GIRL 09

• Ps
    p sap May 01, 2008

they S*&K my son (recenty returned from IRAQ) went into a store in killeen tx, bought a cdm, and was offered free mag's. I was there and the teenager behind the counter said it was free, no trial period, no billing., nothing. they would not automatticlly renew, and he would never, ever get charged. 3 months later 4 charges... now he's a 19 year old kid, I am an adult that knows you get nothing for free. yet the little teenager behind the caunter said it was all free for a year, and would never be charged.

after an hour on the phone with txw, all is better, but I think twx, and FYE should be fined, closed down tared and fethered for lieing to iraq war solders for this. you can say it was because a stupid teenager behind the counter lied, but look at all these complaints, FYE should be worried about this and cut twx loose...

• Ka
    Katie May 15, 2008

I checked my bank statement yesterday to find that I had three pending charges from TWX Magazine. I did not order anything and have not received any magazines from them in 2 years. I called them to cancel my account and they said they would have to "investigate" and call me back. This was after they told me about the year of free entertainment weekly I recieved in 2006. Now, I cancelled this back in 2006 and have not signed up for any type of "free" magazine service, so why the hell am I being charged for this? I guess I'll just have to keep calling them everyday until they cancel this. It's irritating because I live paycheck to paycheck and cannot afford to have these charges for magazines I did not order or received. If they don't stop, then I'll have to tell my bank about the fraud charges.

Mary Lee May 20, 2008

I had a subscription and they renewed it automatically with no notice what so ever. I did not receive a card in the mail. I am anal about going through every piece of my mail and reading all fine print. What was so bad about this, is they charged a card that I had previously refused a rate increase on by certified mail and the card just jacked up my rate to 19.99% from 11.99% on a $5000 balance, just because TWX hit my card with an unauthorized charge. I am sooooo angry! So now I will be paying $60 a month in increased interest due to this fraudulent activity.

• Sh
    Shannon May 26, 2008

I bought a CD from FYE a couple of months ago and they got be with the offer, telling me that it was a free thing (and that it wouldn't charge my card after I received the magazines unless I asked them to). I had $6 in my bank account, and they just charged my card $9. Now on top of being charged for something I was told I wouldn't be, they put my account into the negative, which means I have to pay the bank a nice fee. FYE really needs to figure this out.

• Ik
    I know who it is May 27, 2008

I also was billed 4 times for $2.01 on my debit card. Recently I got a call and was asked if I would like a free subscription for 4 magazines. After paying off a bunch of subscriptions, 12 total, that I didn't want but didn't have the time or the patience to track them down, I wasn't about to jump into another subscription scam. I denied the request but ended up being billed anyway. I went to my bank the next day and canceled my card and ordered a new one and put in a complaint to have my bank investigate TWX to refund my money. I'll see how this works out.

• Ik
    I know who it is May 28, 2008

Checked my account this morning and the 4 payments were removed and no money deducted from my account. Seems if you go to your bank the same day it shows on your account you can get the payments stopped

jason May 29, 2008

HAHAHAHA none of you can complain. Its your fault that you got tangled up in this in the first place. Just a tip for anybody always read terms and conditions its not even fine print. dont get hung up on FREE nothing is free

Matthew May 31, 2008

Hello, I used to work with FYE but i quited. It is a fact that they force their employees to get customers to sign up for a free trial to the magazines if not they might write them up, so basically they leave the employees with the choice of lyin so they could not get write up and they could keep their jobs. But even the employees know the the magazines are a scam because TWX (Magazines company) will do what it takes to not maintain you for more than the free trial so that way they would legally charge your account. Because of all the preassure, employees lie by telling customers that the magazines are absolutlly FREE instead of saying "FREE TRIAL" or they do not give you the brochure where all the instruction and future charges are stated because they do not want the customers to get mad or insult them for signing them up for a trial instead of "completly free'" or the employees will just change the conversation after you have agreed that you want the "free magazines" This is the secret, For every magazine that the store gets, TWX will pay $15 to the FYE which is why the push it so hard but the fact is that the money paid to FYE comes from my family, my friends, you people who have been ripp off and never told that it was a free trial. Most of the people that have gotten rip off was because of the employees who lied just so they could get the magazines George town FYE, Arandu Mill FYE they are all the same. I hope this can avoid you guys to prevent a future ripp off, remember just say no and please be consider with the employees by not screaming at them because most of the time they are obligated by their manager to even lye just to get those magazines.

• Me
    Melanie Jun 06, 2008

While it sucked to see two $18.00 charges on my account, it was easy to get rid of (so far). I did a quick Google search of the phone number on my statement since I had no idea what it was and then called the number. After about 5 minutes of automated bullcrap to get to my account I was transferred to a person by hitting the * key. She tried to sell me the magazines again for $1 each but I didn't even read the magazines I had gotten for free (which I had only received one of the titles, anyway) and then told me I'd be reimbursed in two to three days. Fingers crossed, but I feel like the process was smoother than a lot of others experienced.

Christine Jun 16, 2008

I don't even take the time to read magazines, so I know that I didn't sign up for this. Plus, my father is a lawyer, so I always read the fine print so I don't get scammed. These charges showed up on my credit card statement today.

I called my bank, they gave me a number to call TWX. I called that number, it said it would send me a text message to my cell phone. I didn't accept, but they sent it anyway. I don't pay for monthly text messaging, so I got a text message that I didn't want and I will now have to pay my cell phone provider $1.00 for that message. I read it. All it said was to reply to the text message hitting different keys and I didn't want to be charged another $1.00 to send a message so I didn't.

I found this board. I called the number that I got here for TWX Magazine: 1 877 813 4977

I just waited on the line and didn't say or press anything. Eventually, I got a live person.

He said that I'd purchased something online (very likely, as that's how I buy a lot of things) and that at the end I completed a voluntary survey. That then I chose some magazines and was being charged. I asked him the names of the magazines. They were things like Road and Track, Sports Illustrated, etc. Magazines that I wouldn't be interested in. No one shares this account number with me so I don't think anyone else that I know signed up for these. I have never received those magazines. I told the fellow that. I told him that I wanted to cancel this subscription. I got a confirmation number.

• La
    Ladeena Bell Jun 17, 2008

I didn't receive a postcard, but I did write all the info down about which magazines were included and the phone number to call to cancel at the end of the free period (in my case, a year). That's the biggest thing -- write EVERYTHING down, and keep it handy!

tan Jun 23, 2008

Jason - I completly agree with you. All these people have to do it read. It's unbelievable to me!!! Also quite freaking out and just call the number next to your charge if you are upset. Talk to them nicely and they'll return your money for God sakes! Oh, and you probably did get the postcard you just threw it away..If you are getting the magazines then you are getting the postcards!

• Si
    Simone Jul 07, 2008

You idiots there is nothing to READ! These people are just scammers. When I signed up I stared at every nook and cranny of the page reading everything to make sure I wasn't getting something I didnt want. Yet still these people are not legit and I figured it must be since it was an "authorized Aol" sender.

• Ga
    Gary Jul 14, 2008

Ive read all of your comments, its hard to say whos right or wrong. Just today i got the $2.01 transaction. i called 1 877 813 4977 and cancelled my free trial?, first monthly deduction on 09/10/08 and i hope i dont have to deal with the refund issue in november since i hopefully avoid the 'scam' for good... Thanx for all advice i will call twx n my bank to post any news on this 'scam' thing. i pray i dont c another 2.01 or ne other amount from them here on.

• Ev
    Evan Jul 23, 2008

It's a scam. I just had over $100 charged to my bank account (which had $46 in it) and I distinctly remember the day I signed up for this. I read every single word of the agreement, and I never remembered seeing anything about being automatically billed.

I also recall sending them an e-mail requesting that the shipping address for the magazines be changed when I went off to school. I know it was the right e-mail, because the magazines started coming to me there. I then sent another one to cancel the magazines because I didn't want them anymore and they were just filling up my small school mailbox. They stopped coming.

The charges still came. I've called and requested a refund, it has now been 2 days and still nothing. Beware.

Andrea Jul 24, 2008

Hi, you can cancel all your subscribtions to TWX by calling 1-800-773-3142. Listen to all menus very, very carefully since they will try to catch you again.just keep saying "no" to all the offers you will hear.Good luck.

• So
    solution Jul 26, 2008

CALL THIS NUMBER 1-(800) 607-9869. KEEP PRESSING ZERO UNTIL YOU GET AN OPERATOR/CUSTOMER SERVICE REP. THEN ASK TO CANCEL. THE 2.01 CHARGE IS A PRE-AUTH THING THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE YOUR ACCT IS OKAY AND THEY WILL REMOVE W/IN 24 HRS (OR THEY SHOULD AT LEAST).

CANCEL REMAINING SUBSCRIPTIONS. BANK CANNOT DO ANYTHING. GOOD LUCK.

• Ju
    just sayin gal Aug 13, 2008

Call the phone number they show on your statement, and just keep hitting zero until they send you to an operator. Don't listen to the recording it will try to get you to keep entering your information, so just keep hitting zero until you talk to someone and ask them to cancel.

• Ro
    rosej33 Aug 16, 2008

I called 877 813 4977, said nothing, pressed no numbers and eventually got an operator who canceled my 3 subscriptions within minutes and credited the charges back to my card within 3 business days. Easy enough. That's the hassle you have to deal with if you want free/cheap magazines.

• Br
    Brad Aug 19, 2008

Call your bank and cancel your card and have them reissue. That is the only way to keep some company from reusing your card number. These people are rip off artists and they have your card number!!!

• Ba
    Barb Aug 30, 2008

I agree that you need to read the fine print. However, some of the people "hawking" the mags at FYE make it sound like it is free and they leave off the "oh yeah, cancel or you'll be charged". Still, it is up to the consumer to read the info for themselves. That is why they give you the paper.

I called the number, 877 813 4977, and they gave me several options including a refund of the money charged from my son's debit card. It was quick, easy and painless. They ask for a couple days to refund the money but I will give them until Friday morning (it's Saturday).

• Ci
    cindi Sep 03, 2008

Jason,
    It's not funny or amusing to me. You wouldn't be laughing if it was you getting screwed over now would it. You need to shut your mouth and listen to people. Stop being and idiot man. We didn't know. Ok? Shut up.

• Al
    Alexander Sep 13, 2008

This company uses what is the equivalent of "hard sell tactics" to lure unsuspecting, albeit sometimes careless, consumers with a low fee magazine "trial, " charge them the full subscription amount later and make it not so straight forward to cancel the magazines for a refund. They give out a toll free number with an automated menu but does not inform the caller that they can press "0" for live assistance. This is consistent and similar to their "lure in" tactic of providing "find print" information in hard to find places in their initial "offer." This should not an acceptable sales practice. All clients should be told clearly what they are getting, what their obligations are and what the cancellation policies are in simple to understand language, clearly printed and prominently located on any "trial" or "offer" acceptance form. Enough dissatisfied customers banding together, wanting to take action against TWX can probably build a case for a class action suit against TWX for misleading them, even if there is fine print.

• Ro
    Rodman Sep 15, 2008

i just called the 877 number and cancelled all my subscription ($138.94 charge) fairly smoothly. got done in 3 mins. good luck

• Mi
    Michael Sep 15, 2008

Here's the thing. Just because something's in FINE PRINT, doesn't make it informative. This is also the case with AT&T and its user agreement. They are being sued for diverting customers to a 2, 500 page fine print details about their user agreement. Just because it's LEGAL does NOT make it decent... For people defending the magazine company, you're either in some level of corporate America and I understand your jaded view-point but for normal people, it's not a great thing to get charged for $100+ and have to call them and cancel it. I personally couldn't care less about the money because I can afford it BUT it's the company's attitude that pisses me off.

Andrea Sep 16, 2008

This scam also happened to me. However, if you call the number 1-877-813-4977 and keep pressing zero or the * button, it will put you through to an actual person. Just tell them nicely that you want all subscriptions cancelled and all charges, past present and future, removed then they will do it with no hassle, no questions asked. They did say it will take 3-9 business days for the refunds to process, so be patient. In the future, remember that if an offer seems too good to be true, it is!!!

• Na
    nailPuppy Sep 16, 2008

I just called them at another number I found through google, 877-813-0320. It takes you to some voice mail thing, just hit 0. Keep hitting zero everytime it tries to give you another option. I got one of their customer service people almost immediately, hardly a wait time at all. Had to confirm some information including my old zipcode before I moved a few years back. Explained the charges and she said they'd be cancelled and refunded within 72 hours. Granted, it hasn't been 3 days yet so I don't know if that is true but from what I've done so far they seem decent about getting things cancelled, regardless of how iffy the charges may be in the first place.