Tuttnauer EZ9 AutoclaveAwful service

The Tutanauer EZ9 autoclave has been back to the company 3 times and each time it costs me shipping, and diagnostic charges, as well as the cost to have a loaner. The autoclave fails to work consistently, gives us error messages and failed cycles every day and yet Tutanauer cannot find the problem and fix it. At great expense and many months I have gotten nowhere with this company.

I have spoken with other members of the dental profession and have been told that the Tutanauer automatic autoclaves are infamous for these problems. Tutanauer will not admit this to you, of course, but it has been a well kept secret up until now. If you speak with dental repair companies they will tell you the same thing.

• Ba
    BaySide Technical Services Nov 23, 2009

Hi- I just saw this post and strongly disagree with your assumptions. The EZ9 is a stable autoclave and is a lot more reliable than you make it out to be. I am a Tuttnauer Dealer for both Sales & Service and I have not witnessed in 17 years what you say to be the norm.

Chances are the machine has been in good working order each time it has left Tuttnauer. The problem sending your machine out for service is that the tech cannot see it in it's place on your counter top. Thus, he cannot check your power supply and monitor it for faults. Overloaded circiuts and low voltage can play games with electronic equipment. If your machine is a 220VAC unit and you only have 208VAC you'll need to install a buck boost transformer to get the power up 16Volts to 224VAC. Any dips under 205VAC will cause the machine to fault out.

One of your tech's may not be closing the door properly or may even be overloading the chamber or running a cycle for too long. This is what Tuttnauer cannot see when they work on your machine.

If it works and passes muster at Tuttnauer you really need to take a look on your end. Do you have a Tuttnauer trained tech in your area? I am an ACE at these units and I find it hard to believe that Tuttnauer could send this machine out several times and have it grenade itself on your countertop.

I have come across a lot of machines over the years where the owners were told that their machines needed to be replaced or given outrageous repair quotes.

I have been able to repair these units for under $400.00 on average and some of them are still running 5, 6, 7 years later.

A tech who is not familiar with your unit can be your worst enemy. The Tech's at Tuttnauer are reliable and know these machines very well.

Please call me with any questions.

Kevin Bresnahan
    BaySide Technical Services

[protected]

[email protected]

Chiropodist Jul 12, 2011

I'm so confused after reading this text. I was initially debating between the Midamark M7 autoclave and the Tauttneur EZ9. I've been debating for 2 weeks as to which to purchase, and I was going for the EZ9 but after reading this it puts me back to my original confused stage.

any opinions ?

• Ra
    Rafaela Szpoganicz Jul 01, 2016

I have a small part-time office that I opened from scratch exactly 3 years ago this month. I purchased an EZ-9 autoclave brand new 3 years ago and have maintained it as recommended by the manufacturer. Last month, the autoclave started malfunctioning accusing low temp for every cycle ran and causing a failure in the sterilization cycle. The autoclave was sent in to be diagnosed for repair to Henry Schein. To my surprise, I was given a huge list of things wrong with the autoclave and conveniently told it was out of warranty. I was also informed that to repair it, it would cost me $2, 370.00 dollars. That, of course, does not include the $385.00 dollars I am being charged to have a technician come out to look at it, and who was unable to do anything at the time or the rental fee for the loaner autoclave ($400.00 so far) or another bill I received today for $288.00 dollars for picking up my machine and dropping off the loaner one, now adding to more than half of the original cost of the autoclave. I called another dealer to try to get an additional quote, Benco, who informed me that this particular model along with the EZ-10, "are always breaking down". I tried to call Tuttnauer directly who basically said I needed to deal with the dealer that sold it to me and I should also look into getting another opinion for the repair. They went as far as stating "when you buy a Ford car and it breaks down, who do you go to, the factory or the dealer that sold it to you?" They offered no help!!! Do not make the mistake I made thinking you are getting a high quality product when the company itself does NOT stand behind their own product!!!

• La
    Laurav71 Oct 02, 2017

This is the worst autoclave I have ever dealt with. It keeps coming up with a heat time code and now one seems to be able to fix it. I'm so done with this thing