Turn Around Business developement groupScam

This company says they will get you a large grant if you qualify, they say they have been in business since 2002, per Nevada BBB they have been in business since 3/2009. They registered with the state of Nevada in 2002 and has since changed their name numerous times after scamming people. Also per Henderson Nevada business licensing dept, this company is not licensened to write grants their licensed for business plans. Be very cautious they are trained to sound very convicing.

• Co
    Contractor97211 Dec 11, 2009

Companys, Organization change names all the time; Not wrong to do so (eg. DBA etc.)-- Obviously, you did not get a grant-- and I am assuming it did not go as you thought.

• Co
    Contractor97211 Dec 11, 2009

I Disagree
    Companys, Organization change names all the time, Doing so is not wrong. It is apparently Obviously you did not get a grant, no matter who you go through for grant research results will always vary-- and I am assuming it did not go as you wished.
    I would advocate not to be discouraged, give it another chance with this company or, find another grant research team.

-Cheers

• Pr
    protect2 Jan 28, 2010

I am the person who wrote the complaint and I its up to you to go with this company, I'm just letting you know that their going to take your money, make you feel as if your going to get a grant, and you wont. If you read my full complaint you will see that their not licensed for grant writing call the license board yourself. I'm only tring to help, we all would like to get some extra money if possible and scammers feed on that. Good luck.

• Ml
    mlwyland Feb 03, 2010

I was robo-called by them a few days ago and just got off the phone with a representative. As a consultant to nonprofits and a past grant writer, I'm skeptical. Their fees are too low for the services they propose to deliver. $4k to deliver $100K-$200K in awards, up to ten applications? Also, there is no way they can guarantee a grant award total unless they make up a shortfall themselves. Finally, they claim a database of 100, 000 foundations and government agencies. Most foundations and gov't agencies won't grant to private businesses - only 501(c)3 nonprofits (charities).

turnaroundscam Mar 18, 2010

I too was robo-called by this company. I was skeptical at how easy they made it sound to be able to receive grants to basically do anything I want to with the money. They were going to apply for over $100, 000 in grants for my company with a guarantee of at least 50% of this amount. I contacted the BBB in Nevada. The conversation went like this; "Hi, I am calling to see if you can give me information about a company that recently moved from Las Vegas to Henderson. Sure, which Grant Writing company are you calling about? Wait a minute, I never mentioned to you that I was calling about a Grant Writing Company. We are well aware of these type companies". Per the BBB in Nevada, they have never had anyone tell them that they received a grant, not one person ever. Also, they said that these type companies take your up front money and never deliver. If they could really get you this money, why do they have to charge an up front fee? Eventually, these companies shut down and open up under another name.

The person I was dealing with at Turnaround Business was Raquel Welch. I said to her that she had a name of a very famous person. Her comment was that she had a few people tell her that recently and acted like she did not even know who this famous person was. My first name is a name of a popular kid's cartoon character. My entire life I have been reminded of this. It is obvious that she and probably others there do not even use their real name. There is another site that talks about a person from Texas that was almost scammed by Turnaround also. He was dealing with a person named Mike Jackson.

Also, when I started talking about how to pay for their services Raquel said I could pay through Paypal. Come on, who uses Paypal? Companies that try to scam you use Paypal because it is difficult to get traced.

I also contacted the Federal Trade Commission. Their suggestion was to go to your favorite search engine and type in Turnaround Business Development scam or rip-off. See what pops up for yourself. Or, you can go to a local bookstore and buy a book for about $20 that will teach you how to write your own grant proposal.

My suggestion is to stay far away from this company, in fact run! They prey on people who want extra money and have money that they can take from.

• Ra
    random anonymous person Mar 21, 2010

"Come on, who uses Paypal? Companies that try to scam you use Paypal because it is difficult to get traced. "

For the record if you use a credit card through PayPal you get a second layer of protection against fraud. If you have a legitimate complaint (instead of just being some random speculating ###) not only can you use PayPal's dispute resolution measures but you can also file for a chargeback directly through your credit card company. It is certainly easier to recoup a loss through PayPal than from a regular credit card transaction or a check.

"My first name is a name of a popular kid's cartoon character."
    I'm gonna have to guess Chicken Little here because you're definitely going with that "the sky is falling!" theme.

• Po
    Poo Poo Mar 23, 2010

I was contacted by several people from this company who went from asking for $3500 up front to eventually asking for $1000. The whole thing sounds like a timeshare "shpill" with con artist aggressively trying to find that right amount to stick you up for. Later you find out about all the interest, maintenace costs, trading fees and exchange companies that you must belong to that equal up to way more then just paying for your vacation whenever you can get away. DON'T FALL FOR THIS SCAM!!! They are ALL run the same.

• Gu
    guthkey Apr 06, 2010

i have been dealing with this company for about 4 months they contacted me about a week ago and said they got my grant approved they want to draw up a business plan and they want 7800 to do this then they will send me my money in about 28 days i have already given them 3000 back in jan. so i have been researching them i have found good things and bad things so i dont know what to do

• Ju
    JustResults Apr 13, 2010

i agree with everything here. Though I don't feel they are scammers, just think they need a lot of work product wise. The website they made for me wsa crappy, and the business plan needed a lot of work. What's funny about that is I gave them my old plan to work from.

I got the same call about them wanting more money too. But they asked me for 9400. What was required and what they would have to had do for the grant would actually have cost me that amount if not more if i were to use other means.

I don't feel however yet that they are scammers because they already have my money too but they follow-up with me and they actually CALL ME BACK! I'm a very picky person, and everytime I sent back something they fixed it.

To sum up: They seem to me to be a good company; their quality just needs a lot of work. I just don't think I would trust them with more than my initial layout just yet .

• Pe
    pendesk8 May 11, 2010

random anonymous person, I want to thank you.This company took my daughter -in -law for $1500 dollars and they want another $1500.Apparently they keep bleeding you and you NEVER get a grant.These company's feed off the hopes and dreams of others wanting a better life.I was pretty sure this was a scam and thanks to you I'm positive and will stop her from giving them any more money.As far as the one defending the constant name change's, he apparently works for them.RUN everyone, RUN fast.Again thanks much.

turnscam May 16, 2010

Random Anonymous Person, you either have no life or you work for Turnaround Business Development. Is that the best you can do is defend Paypal and name call? Listen you [censor]tard, it is obvious you work for this company. Stop posting your lame comments. People need to know the truth about how your company scams people.

The bottom line is that the Better Business Bureau is well aware of these type companies. They have never had anyone tell them that they received a grant, not one person ever.

For those of you who want to take a chance with this company, I'm glad it is your money and not mine. If they can really get you a grant, ask them to get paid after they get you a grant. I guarantee that they will not do business with you. They will feed you a bunch of lies to try to justify why they should receive money up front. They will tell you that your grant has been approved. But, you will never get it.

• Sm
    Small Business Attorney May 20, 2010

This company is a complete scam. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "GRANT" TO START OR EXPAND A BUSINESS, PERIOD. There are only "grants" for nonprofit organizations such as schools and charities, and they take a lot of legitimate work to get. When these people tell you they got you a grant or a business loan, they are LYING TO YOU to try and get you to send more money. The stuff these scammers actually provide, like web sites, business plans, or incorporation services, to try and lure you in to send them more money are available from many different legitimate providers for a FRACTION of what you have already paid them. See Godaddy.com or register.com for web sites, for example. For business plans go to www.score.org or www.sba.gov for FREE business plan templates. For business entities such as LLCs, see mycorporation.com or legalzoom.com. To get a business loan is a long, difficult process and you will be providing a great deal of detailed information (in addition to a comprehensive business plan) and working DIRECTLY AND PERSONALLY with a bank or other lender. Go to www.score.org, a nonprofit that has been around for many years, for FREE counseling on how to do it right from legitimate retired business people.

• Ge
    GettheFacts May 26, 2010

Thank you all for stopping me from doing something dum. My gut told me not to do it!

• Se
    serenityII May 27, 2010

I am a grant writer for an RPC (Regional Planning Commission). I assist the RPC membership in obtianing funds for public projects. I agree that this Turn Around Business Development Group is a scam. When I write the grant application I do so on behalf of the applicant. The applicants signatures are required on the application because they are taking sole responsibility for the distribution and reporting of the funds. The funds are always distributed directly to the applicant (ALWAYS) never to the RPC. The applicant deals with the funder throughout the project but I assist the applicant with file organization and other grant administrative duties, I do this (AFTER) the administration has been through a procurement process and a price has been agreed on and a contract has been signed. I do not nickle and dime the applicant that is not how it works. If you are planning on applying for grants having someone help you with the grant process is not unresonable and it is often beneficial but it is like any other business transaction. Grants, no matter whether public or private, have a set of rules or regulations that must be followed. If you as the applicant have been awarded a grant (YOU) the applicant, will recieve a letter saying that your grant has been awarded your grant writer is not going to be the entity that informs you that you have been awarded a grant. The last thing I leave you to think about is that grants are project driven, an application will require a project budget, typically grant administration is built into the budget and the amount is approved by the funder. Please think very hard and long about entering into any agreement with 1) someone who doesn't live in your area, it is important to have your grant administrator within a days driving distance. & 2) phone calls soliciting you for money before you have a negotiated and signed agreement for the grant writing service.

P.S. "turnscam" I like your style!

• Ar
    artisticoexp Jun 10, 2010

ok...take it from someone who feel for a scam once upon a time. Turn Around Business Development group contacted me and gave me the spill. Whatever...i listened to the lady and it was a slow day. But I have to say, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is (and i learned that lesson the hard way). So if you have a bad feeling (like I do now) you can just walk away. If you have already given your money to this company then I am sorry to say you might be learning the same lesson I learned years ago. Whatever the case may be I have found everyones comments very insightful. Best of luck to ya'll!

Turn around and run or ?? Jun 28, 2010

The person I was dealing with at Turnaround Business was Raquel Welch. They said I was approved for $1, 520, 000.00 and the person i was dealing with previously is suppose to be out for family medical this is the same excuse on the last company from Nevada told me that had grant approval funds from many companys.

Is this company a scam. Who has recieved grants from any company?

Where can I have a grant writter help me find $ for my company that will produce many jobs for my community.

• As
    a Small business owner Jul 20, 2010

Hey I just got contacted by this company but the lady I'm speaking with is Raquel... But not Raquel Welch after stuttering and pausing she told me her name was Raquel Chavez!!!

Thats all the proof I needed.

Thanks Guys almost lost $2500. That I cant afford.

Charlie W Aug 03, 2010

Thank you for all the post you reassured me that I made the right decision

• O3
    o3g Aug 04, 2010

turn around business is a scam im still waiting for a grant its been over a year and every time they contact me is to tell me we got you a granter we just need u to pay more fees!!!

SCAM DONT DO IT
    TURN AROUND BUSINESS DEV.
    IS A SCAM!!!

Gambler225 Aug 10, 2010

Has anyone actually given the 2nd half of the money and gotten or Not gotten the grants??? Thats what i would like to know. It seems everyones chickens out at this point, but has anyone actually lost more than the initial retainer to them???

Sorry for the second post but it kicked me out.

Yes i have paid additional fees of $5, 995 to prepare a community impact study and a financial systems checklist, That was on 4/15/2010 and i got a call yesterday 8/9/10 that the foundation wanted to fund me on or before 10/7/2010 but that they needed more documents. I was also told that this would have to be outsourced and that there would be additional cost and i only had 10 days to get all the documents in or i would not make the deadline. I did get the guy to admit that they would get paid 10% of the amount i was funded from the foundation as a commission paid by the foundation not from my grant. I am also very nervous that this is just a scam to take money from the desperate business owners in this economy. If anyone has been successful in getting funded i would like to know about it. So far the only thing i received from them is a crappy website layout and 3 year and 5 year business plan.

• Se
    Seamstress on a budget Aug 13, 2010

I am supose to give them more money by monday and I dont have the money to give them I just laid off 5 employees and I have not had a pay check in 3 years... so I cant give them the rest of the money, dont have it. I hope you do get the grant that would be great. I need it so bad but I have to back off and hope my business survives... if not I will be done in a year if things dont pick up. Seamstress on a budget.

• Mo
    moms police Aug 19, 2010

My mother got a call today saying she was approved for a $200, 000 grant but she needs to send in $2000. She was really excited and was willing to stop her disability to expand her home business with the money she would get from this grant. These people do not realize the lives they put in jeopardy when they do this. This is terrible, but thank God she has a daughter that will research this kind of stuff. Some people just jump in and dont even think to look into these companies. I really feel sorry for you guys that have lost your money to these creeps. This is not a time to throw away money. I have been out of work since April and to think of the amount of money these people are getting for nothing! I could have made websites for $100 that look much better than the ones these scammers created. Terrible!

CHRIS DIP Oct 08, 2010

TURNAROUND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT IS A HUGE SCAM. I GAVE THEM $2, 500 TO WRITE A PLAN AND FILE GRANT PAPERWORK AND ALL I GOT WAS GARBAGE. A PLAN THAT I HAVE TOLD THEM SEVERAL TIMES IS WRONG THEY CLAIM TO HAVE SENT IT OUT TO GRANT FOUNDATIONS AND THE PLAN IS NOT EVEN CORRECT. tHEY HAVE CALLED ME 2 TIMES IN THE PAST MONTHS NOT TO CORRECT INFORMATION IN PLAN BUT TO ASK FOR MORE MONEY IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR GRANTS. FIRST IT WAS $6, 000 AND TODAY IT WAS $3, 000. ONCE I TOLD BRIAN WHO SITS IN THE EXECUTIVE OFFICE AND WHOS DESK IS THE LAST STOP BEFORE A CHECK IS ISSUED THAT I WAS LEFT WITH A BAD TASTE IN MY MOUTH FROM PAST TO PRESENT DEALINGS WITH TURNAROUND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT HE TOLD ME HE DID NOT LIKE MY ATTITUDE AND THAT I WAS NOT A GOOD BUSINESS OWNER. THIS BUSINESS IS NO DOUBT A SCAM! CHRIS D.

• Te
    TEF Oct 11, 2010

Definitely a scam. Paid them $1500 to do the grant writing, after they made an "exception" from their normal $5000 up front fee.

Once I completed the paperwork they sent they called me back to say that there are some legal documents that need to be prepared which they would do for $6, 000. This was the first mention of that requirement. They said that I would just need to "float" that expense because I could use the grant proceeds to pay for it "in a couple weeks". I told them to send me the necessary forms and I would have my lawyer fill them out.

It's been 4 weeks and they haven't sent me anything. Scam.

Nottodumb Jan 29, 2011

I agree with all of you except the 2 [censor]s who run it are scams themselves. Also their call room is located on E. Flamingo. in Las Vegas! They are promising people alot but remember the FBI is looking into 283 Companies offering grants and manipulting the contracts to their favor.

GACORP Apr 04, 2011

DEFINATELY A SCAN: I feel foolish to say I was scammed by these people for LOTS OF MONEY. I paid them the initial 3, 000.00 March 2010. I received numerous status calls, just to keep you on the hook. In June 2010 I received a call from Brian Hewitt indicating he had 7 foundations that were going to pool together to fund me 680, 000.00 but they needed a 10 year business plan and environmental impact study, etc. This study would cost an additional 10, 000.00, which had to be wired immediately in order to "not miss the deadline for funding" which I was told was at the end of the week. My husband and I discussed this, had difficulty with the wiring of money and the hasty calls, etc. Regretfully we wired the money and have heard nothing except BS from these people since. They have even gone so far as to call me in November 2010 to tell me they had another foundation that wanted to fund me 540, 000 but I would have to set up a non-profit which would costs 10, 000.00. When I declined this and advised I was contacting the FBI in Las Vegas, they ceased taking my phone calls or responding to emails. PLEASE ACCEPT THIS IS A WARNING THAT THESE PEOPLE ARE BAD NEWS. THEY ARE A TOTAL SCAM. I am an intelligent woman but I feel like a total fool with regards to this. This has been the best and costliest lession I have ever had to learn.

GACORP Apr 18, 2011

Just as a followup to my previous email, I just went to Turnaround Business Development Groups Website and they have posted the following message...Time To Turn Around Business Development Group is no longer accepting new business and has shut down it's corporate offices. In an attempt to maintain our existing clients we have left our web site up for contact purposes only. If you are an existing client and need to speak with us please send us an email at [email protected] and we will contact you shortly. Thank you.

I think this pretty much sums it up for all of us who fell victum to these crook...

Gambler225 Apr 18, 2011

Yes I agree it took us over 2 years but it looks like we put enough heat on them that they had to close up. I had reported them to the FBI over a year ago and they where already under investigation then, I was told by the officer not to say anything about it in a public forum. Just like the rest of you I lost thousands of dollars I could not afford to loose and fell embarrassed about it.

GACORP Apr 18, 2011

I also have reported it to the FBI. However, I have not actually spoken with anyone there. Have they given you any indication that you will get any of your money back?

• Te
    texas 23350 Apr 21, 2011

SCAM-SCAM-SCAM-SCAM!!! These people are only after your money. DON'T send them anything, as you get NOTHING in return except maybe a crappy "business plan" if thats what you want to call it & alot of headache from losing money that you didn't need to LOSE to a bunch of LOW LIFES!!! Just like the others that got rooked...ialso sent $2500.00, then like an idiot I sent 5200.00 more about 4 months later. They do talk a good game but BEWARE & DONT LISTEN----JUST HANG UP, LIKE I SHOULD HAVE DONE.

Gambler225 May 05, 2011

Im sorry to say that when i spoke with them they gave me no hope of ever getting my money back. I guess the most valuable lessons are not learned, there bought.

GACORP May 05, 2011

You Know I received a call yesterday from a company in Vegas about grants. I suspect they have changed their name AGAIN and set up shop to go after others.

• Ka
    KarrieW Jun 29, 2011

Does anyone know if a lawsuit is in place for this company as of June 2011? They have shut down w/out a single call to let us know, and of course, no refund to us for not getting the grant promised. I paid them $1, 500 to start the grant, write it and search for companies to award the grant. I agreed later to pay for a non-profit organization, paid dearly, b/c they told me a company was ready to give us a grant if we opened the non profit. Now that I've done all that, they've closed and we're out some $6, 0000 all total. Anyone know of help??
    [email protected], Karrie