Transam AssociatesFraud and cheating company!

I actually found this job on yahoohotjobs.com which would make one think it is legitimate. Wrong-they emailed me repeatedly asking me to do a sample dictation for them which I did. Then they said all you have to do is read the agreement and then we will start your training today. In the agreement it says you have to purchase the software, which I know many transcriptions who have done that. So I started chatting with their so-called live help center. I asked for references from Doctors whom they transcribe for and testimonials from employees. The chat person said 'I'm sorry we cannot release info on our Doctors and if we had our employees say anything we would have to pay them and that would be tainted information but we can tell you how long we've been in business.' I'm sorry but just the way the whole thing goes down is shady. They told me that they do not under any circumstance refund the money and the training can be anywhere from one to several months, it all depends on you. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company. I told live chat that they should be ashamed of themselves for ripping people off and they should get real jobs. Her response was 'good luck to you, thanks for chatting with me today, bye for now' yeah I don't think I will be back.

• Er
    Erika T. Dec 04, 2007

I received an email from TransAm Associates through collegerecruiter.com. They sent me an email saying that they were impressed with my resume and had this great job opportunity doing medical transcribing. I could pick my hours and it was great pay. All I had to do was a sample transcription. I did the very easy sample and they were very impressed with it. This after they were impresed with my resume. They then wanted to talk to me. It was about me having to purchase additional software ( that I doubt even worked) and medical terminology books. That I don't even need. The whole thing sounded way off and very shady. Needless to say, I did not do it. I have checked with the Better Business Bureau...and there were numerous complains about them. I just finished talking to a live agent on collegerecruiter.com. They said that they've heard of TransAm Associates, but haven't heard of anything negative. Somehow they've managed to get through the fraud detectors there. Which makes me a bit worried about them now too. This is a scam and it's extremely obvious. If you see an email from them, run. I don't want to see anyone else taken by them.

Linda Brown Dec 13, 2007

I unfortunetyly took the bait, now what do I do? I need to find an at home job doing transcription. My question is where? If anyone has a real lead please let me know.

• Ge
    Gertrude Shiver Dec 31, 2007

I also received an e-mail from this company. They got my job application through CollegeRecruiter.com and Beyond.com. Also, I took the test and pass it. In addition, they sent me the contract throght the e-mail and I read it. I got suspicious whenI saw the inofrmation about purchasing the software and the foot pedal and that they were non-refundable items.

The job information sounded too good to be true. After reading the contract, I contacted the live person via chart. After communication with this person, I asked about the company being legitimate because I had never heard about this company before. I was almost taken when I was told about them being members of the Chamber of Commerce and I was sent a logo. Then they wanted to know if I had enough money to pay for the software and the equipment. Something still didn't seemed right.

Then the recruiter said that today was the last day for the special and for me getting the training free and for purchasing the software at the said amount before the price went up. Nothing was ever said about this to me when I received the e-mail and took the test and corresponded with them before today. There wasn't a time limit on the tuition being free. Then I decided to wait and get back with them later, which I am glad that I did. I told the person that I would get back with them later I checked on the Website of the Chamber of Commerce, and there was their information. The recruiter said that this company was also on the board of directors of the Chamber of Commerce of The Greater Seffner Area. I further became suspicious when I had been given a different number in which to contact the Chamber of Commerce.

This had sounded like a great deal, but I am glad that I decided to find out more about this company. After checking with the Better Bureau Website, I found out some negative information about them. Then I found this website which has enlightened me more about this company. I have not ordered the software nor the foot pedal yet and I am glad that I never gave them my credit card number. I don't think that I am going with this company now since I have found out some negative information about them. I don't need to be scam or incur any more debt on my credit card. Is there anyway I can find out any more information about them? I really wanted to do some home transcription because I have already taken some transcription courses. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Gertie

• Te
    Terrie McCarthy Jan 10, 2008

If it sounds too good to be true...it is! I have also been contacted by this "company" (using the term lightly) and others like it over the years. I have wanted to work part-time at home to add to my full-time income. Any legitimate business will not ask you to spend money to work for them, if they do, take it for granted selling their software, footpeddles, training, etc., is how they make their money. Now whenever I get email from any kind of scam like this one, I just reply to their email and up front I tell them I don't want to waist time and if they expect me to purchase anything to work for them, don't even bother contactime me again (then I block their address). I need to work two jobs to make money, not give it away.

liz Jan 11, 2008

I am so glad I checked with this site before losing any money!! The did the same thing to me, but I found this job on ajcjobs.com. When I asked why can't they provide a free trail version of their software to train, they said they used to do that, but realized people were not following through. They actually tokd me that when people have to pay for something, they work harder to get it (like they would know anything about that) I was also told that they had been in business for ten years and on the BBB site it shows 2005. They can't even keep their lies straight. What happened to legitimate companies/people?

• Pa
    Pam Hammitt Jan 16, 2008

Thank you so much for this site and all the comments. I found this job on qcjobs.com. I thought it was the answer to my prayers. I have taken the MT courses and am looking for a job that doesn't require 2 -3 years experience. I really need the job, and I am glad I decided to check out Transam before I went any further. If anyone knows of any legitimate jobs... please email me.

• Ra
    Rachael M Jan 28, 2008

I almost fell for the trick too. Thank god I looked up the scam before I sent them money! If anyone knows of anything legitimate please let me know.
    Rachael

• Rt
    RT Jan 30, 2008

I got an email from them as soon as I updated my hotjob.com resume. I did their sample and sent it because I was curious what the catch was and they responded today with the software "catch". And then they asked how I heard about them... they don't even have a clue what their auto emails say and I got 3 emails from 3 different email addresses.

I responded to them and said no thanks, I don't pay to get a job.

• Fi
    fishinggal2000 Feb 12, 2008

Transam Associates very definitely is a scam. I have an up-to-date Infinity Footpedal and they wanted me to purchase an old 9-pin style footpedal because they were "not going to upgrade their software". If it smells like a rat it most definitely is. I've been doing medical transcription for over 15 years and my husband is an IT manager so between and we both just laughed at the audacity of Transam to think that they wouldn't be found out. Sorry if anyone got scammed. I always go to www.snopes.com to check out scams - also to sohojobs.org since I belong to their website. Best Regards,

Connie

• At
    athena terry Feb 26, 2008

I also received an email from the same company. When I tried to send in my test, their email came back as undeliverable. I also tried different spellings thinking maybe I was spelling it wrong, then my daughter told me to try google. Then I saw the complaints.

• Me
    Melissa Mar 02, 2008

Transam Associates also sent me an email and I was excited because I would like to get into this field so that I can work from home. When I saw their location in Valrico, FL that made me even more curious because I live right around the corner from the address they have (which I checked on Map Quest). Well, my husband and I looked for it today and guess what we found! A UPS store. So that made me start to think it's a scam. I know some people use UPS stores to receive mail, but come on! I happened to have an email from them this evening when I got home and it was a link for the application and info. Well, I decided to question the operator regarding the non-refund of software as well as the location. Of course I got all these scripted answers for a while and then the operator started asking me what did the email say, etc... Then I was told that they can't help me and I must call corporate during normal business hours with my questions. This has SCAM all over it. If anyone knows of any legitimate positions and how I can get the proper training, please email me.

• Br
    Brittany Mar 03, 2008

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I wanted so badly to believe this was a legit offer that I may have been fooled if I hadn't found this page.

Connie mentioned soho jobs. Has anyone heere obtained employment through sohojobs.com? I was a little leary of it because it cost money to "subscribe".

• Na
    Nads Mar 11, 2008

Thank God I found this website. I am just about to pay the downpayment (50%) today !!! I agree we shouldn't have to pay to get a job. Incidentally, how come we had no problem transcribing their test dictation without any software in the first place? And we all passed perfectly? If anyone knows of any legitimate positions and how I can get the proper training, please email me asap. I am keeping my money safe right here where it belongs.

Angela M Walker Mar 15, 2008

I tried looking them up on Snopes.com but there isn't a post about them. I wish they did so my mind could be put to rest. As it is now, I have seen nothing good about Transam Associates, Inc. I'm thankful people are sharing their experiences and information so we don't get scammed. I found the job offer on Jobs.com (beyond.com)

• Al
    Alexander Bernal Mar 19, 2008

I got suspicious when their e-mail had an exclamation point. Con-artists always use the exclamation point. Thanks for the comments. I was about to be suckered myself. I will continue searching.

Julie Mar 21, 2008

I so wanted this to be legit. I am glad I found this website. I didn't send any money either.

Anyone know of legit training?

judith a orlando Mar 23, 2008

Today by judi orlando(send email)
    I thought today was my lucky day, until I read all of the coments posted against them. I'am very sick and need some kind of work at home. I'am working right now 32 hours a week & that is to much for me. I have a lot of trouble walking. That's is why I wanted to work from home to make it easier on myself. If anyone hears of anything legit please email me.

Have a Blessed Easter.

• Pl
    Please Help Mar 31, 2008

I'm glad i went and reasearch about this company. I WILL NOT PURCHASE AND JOIN THIS SCAM. Please help and email me if you know of any work from home transcribe or admin work that we could do for our 2nd job. My husband is currently laid off from his work becuase of the housing slow down and we have two kids to support. Please email me and let me know if there is a legit work from home transcribe. We are in the process of loosing our house. Thnak you and god bless.

• Bo
    Bonnie Mar 31, 2008

A friend of mine who teaches medical transcription referred me to this website - www.ahdionline.org that list programs that you can gain the proper certification. She wanted to make sure that I didn't get "taken". My understanding is that The Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI) sets the standards for medical transcription.

• Yv
    Yvette Marrero Apr 01, 2008

Well like all of you i thought my prayers have been answered with transam associates i have been looking for a job to work from home but after reading about them i guess my search for a legitimate company still continues. Thanks for the info i am glad i checked them out before i sent them any money.

• Ka
    karen bryant Apr 03, 2008

Why cant I find out the cost of the books and software I went on the live chat and operator refused to answer?

• Jc
    JC Apr 06, 2008

Wish I had found this before they got my $495.00 I haven't concluded that it is in fact a scam. I should have done more research than I did I guess. Now I am worried I could have used those funds for better use had I known.

If it turns out to be fraud is there anything I can do? Dose anyone know?

Mark Apr 10, 2008

Thanks for the heads up people. Back to the job search.

Jeannie Apr 14, 2008

I just got an email about this company today, and boy am i glad i did some research. I think it ALWAYS best to do background check on any company before sending money. And why is it so hard to get into this field??! Seems like there are a lot of people out there interested in the field, but no one can break through? What's the deal?

Jeannie Apr 14, 2008

I just got an email from transam today, I was excited and then thought, I better do some research. What did I find, well nothing good, the company seems like a rip off and they won't be getting my money. I think it's always best to research any outfit before giving them your hard earned money. A little reaseach can save you from the jerks of this world. And why is it so hard to break into this field?

• La
    LAURIE Apr 22, 2008

I purchased this program and was unalbe to down load this program thru several attempts very unsuccessful I call t he company and cant talk to any one only online they tell me. Dont send this scam artists any more money I have called my credit card company and the better business bureau. If any one knows how to reroup money please let me know.

• Ca
    Cara May 01, 2008

Wow...I was ready to jump head first into this. :( I had submitted the initial transcription and I was sent another one saying that I had "moved past the first round of testing and they wanted to see the fullest extent of my medical knowledge". I had my resume posted on CareerBuilder and that's how they found me...Thankfully, my husband looked into it today after I had recieved the glorious praise email telling me that it was one of the best transcriptionists they had today-blah blah blah. I'm just glad that I found out before I got suckered into spending boatloads of non-refundable money!

Lisa May 02, 2008

It does seem shady. If it sounds too good to be true, then it is. I almost fell for it, but just now decided to google them with the words "scam" and "complaints." Boy am I glad I did.

• La
    Lauren Hines May 14, 2008

But how do you find legitimate employment without years of experience???

Jessica May 15, 2008

I've just completed my training for Medical Transcription and have been looking for a job since. Since I live in a very rural area, the only internet connection I can get is Satellite. I'm having a hard time finding a company that will hire a new graduate with no experience plus has a Satellite connection. So imagine my joy when I saw this company on Monster.com. I thought for sure it being on Monster it would be a legit company, but something was working on my gut. So, i decided to do a little research. Much to my dismay, I found all of these negative complaints about this company being a scam. I guess my gut jumping was correct. Thank you to all who have commented on this company. I would have hated to be taken for money I don't have, altho, I'm pretty sure I would have been able to sense the snake in the grass. So, i guess it's back to the job hunt for me. Anyone who has information on legit companies who hire new grads to work from home and have a satellite connection, please e-mail me. It would be greatly appreciated.

• Le
    leveti tania May 16, 2008

I would like to say thanks for this website. This job sounded like a great opportunity and I was hoping it was real. I guess it was to good to be true. Thanks for posting before I made the expensive mistake. Any one know of a real MT online job. If you do, please send me an email.

• Ki
    Ki May 18, 2008

I was almost taken too. I'm pretty much giving up my internet job search. Really does any one know somebody that got a great job online without any experience in the field?

Today was my wake up call. I got excessive praise for completing an assessment that my 10 year old could have passed with flying colors and for a second I thought it was going to get me a new job. The first trigger for me was that my acceptace letter asked me questions. It came from one email address with contact information for another email address. However, it did not instructions as to whom I should respond. I know that medical transcription is a very detailed and precise field, yet the company that was going to employ me was very vague.

I am a bargain shopper and was also triggered that the name of the software was not mentioned. When I'm required to buy something the first thing I want to do is check for it on Ebay. This software was just describes as "special." Beware of "special" software. For those of us who have worked, we know that "special" software is software that can't be purchased anywhere else, but can only be used for that company and your knowledge with it is worthless anywhere else.

I also tried the phone that was listed for the address on Yahoo!maps. What a surprise!! (Sarcasm) A generic message with no mention of the company name.

These scams prey on your desparation, and bank on it clouding your judgement. Look out for the little things.

A word of advise. If you want a legitimate job, go to a legit company in your town. Somewhere with an office that you can go visit, with a person that you can sit down with and talk to about your experience and expectations.

Actual (not virtual) staffing agencies have been a great asset for myself. Also, you don't have to be unempolyed to get job searching help from most local unemployment offices and their staff makes great references.

• Cj
    C J Hill May 21, 2008

The email responding to my online "test" from Transam Associates, Inc. began: "Your sample has been accepted! HI!! WHERE ON THE INTERNET DID YOU HEAR ABOUT US?" Who do they think they are KIDDING?? Every MT entry level job internet search I tried had Transam Associates, Inc. listed everywhere! I was curious about all the locations this company listed; all over the United States from New York to California to Hawaii, and then some. I was also curious that the SAME person, Kimberly Carton, was listed at all of the locations without exception. Even for an internet-based business, this seemed more than curious; especially after seeing how SIMPLE AND FOOLPROOF the so-called skills test was to complete and submit for "evaluation". The emails I received in response to my "job application" were uncharacteristically friendly, yet chillingly vague about this great opportunity being offered to me. I passed my MT certificate course with a 92% score, yet the email congratulating my on my acceptance seemed to imply that the "free training and coach" would be available to me. (Did my skills test show a lack of skills?? What about the "HI!!"?) I believe I could get a job as an MT without their help, and that little voice that always says "NO!" inside my head when I need to take a second look at something that is too good to be true, was SCREAMING at me!! I am so glad I decided to do some research tonight before going to bed. What bothers me the most is that I found this company on every legitimate jobsearch engine on the internet; Monster, MT Daily, Google, Yahoo, etc. This company has scam written all over it, yet why are all these jobsearch websites allowing these misleading ads to run so blatantly? I would stay away from this company and be very glad you were not taken; and if you WERE taken, maybe you could help get the word out about this pathetic excuse for an employer!

• Ka
    karen May 26, 2008

Thank you so much for this websited. I was sooooo ready to give them a down payment but I found this website. It is true what you all said. Why should we pay to get a job. I also didn't realize until I read one of your posts about why did I pass their so called dictation without their software? I am a nurse looking for supplemental income to do at home. I also started thinking that when I worked with doctors, they talk pretty fast not like what the company had on their website. I also asked the live chat agent if they are members of the Better Business Bureau. No response to my question so that was a red flag to me.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Rh
    rhonda Jun 09, 2008

I'm also glad I did my homework on this company . After reading the complaints about them I decided to test them . I had previously sent in a sample based on what I heard. Then I got the email stating "Your sample has been accepted..blah blah"

So the other day I sent them another sample from another email address. It said "80 yr old woman suffering from obesity and heart problems. Reccomend she lay off the pies and cakes and go to wieght watchers. Told her to come back in 30 days. " And guess what? I got the same email.. "Your sample has been accepted"!!! And when I first got in touch with them I had a few questions so tried to chat with them live and got scripted answers.

So glad I didnt send them money.

anntamara Jun 12, 2008

I received an email yesterday from this company and was, like everybody else, excited about the whole idea but at the same time I was thinking "this is too good to be true" and after reading all these comments, it was. Now my mood has gone down again. Every MT job I find they want you to have at least 1 year experience but how do you get the experience they want if you can't do it? I have a medical background and did the MT program a few years ago and looking for a job after loosing mine last month, and sure cannot get anywhere. I'm starting to think that "working from home" is also to-good-to-be-true and will never happen. I'm am really thankful I checked out this company by reading everyone's comments and experiences before getting sucked into their scam.

• Lo
    lotika Jun 19, 2008

I came across this site while browsing for some Online jobs.As said by most of my friends, I was also given a sample test in which I faired well, for which they said that they would offer me FREE Training.I was very excited.I shot a mail immediately with a bunch of queries, all for which they sent me a Job Offer Letter. Kimberly wrote me that I could start off with the training as soon as I purchase the software, which was mandatory.
    After I chatted with a respresentative, that I got quite supicious when she told me that my money will NOT be refunded and that my Training Course could be anything between 1 month to 6 months !!!
    Thank God ! I didnt take a hasty decision purchasing the software before going thru the reviews and found a hell of them !!
    My Sincere thanks to all of you for saving my money !
    True complaints are a Money Savers.I appreciate this kind gesture to disclose all those elements who cause destruction to innocent peoples' money and Values.

• Po
    Porsche Jun 30, 2008

This company found my resume on Monster.com. I had a feeling it was a scam as soon I realized that I had never heard of them. Thanks for the feedback guys. The only thing they got from me is 10 minutes of my time. [which I think was a small price to pay]

• Sh
    shaheed Jul 01, 2008

Total scam don't fall for it people please!!! dont pay for a job ppl!!!

Judy Jul 02, 2008

Wow.. I am so glad I check this thing out. I sent in my transcription sample this morning and got an email back right away saying that I was accepted. Their job description on monster says i could make $3, 000-$4, 000 per month if I work 30-40 hours. I was so happy and thought my prayers had been answered. Thanks so much for posting these comments. I will delete them and block them from my email now that I know its a scam.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices