Topsy Turvy TomatoMultiple Charges for one product

The Web Site www.hangingtomato.com is ripe for consumer fraud. The site does NOT allow the consumer to cancel an order. edit an order, verify an order. The site takes you like a worm dangling before a fish to a new site for a $10.00 cash reimbursement for joining some other company. By the time you say no the deal is over. It also sets up automatically multiple charges for products you don't want. There is NO customer support. There is NO phone number to call and try to resolve issues. Theres is no email address to file a complaint. This Web site is setup to purposefully rip consumers off. They also compromise the consumer credit card information with multiple charges with no chance to resolve any issues. I was very disappointed in this website. Its only purpose is to charge and overcharge the consumer. They have NO privacy information to protect the consumer. This is consumer fraud at its highest with the consumer credit information and ID theft among its most lethal application.

More Topsy Turvy Tomato Complaints & Reviews

joe giusti Jul 02, 2012

i'll not order any now...

• Fa
    fancythecat Jul 30, 2011

I just wanted to add to my complaint that the company has
    now replaced all 11 of my topsy turvy bags with bigger bags
    than my originals were. I am happy with this and will
    accept them even though my husband would really have
    liked to have the smaller ones. He is not sure where to hang
    these huge ones where they will not fall. The eves of our house
    may not hold the full bags and my husband is small and
    may not be able to hang the bags that high.
    [email protected]
    I wanted to be fair to the company and tell everyone they did
    finally replace the bags for me.

• Fa
    fancythecat Jul 21, 2011

I purchased 11 of these planters which did not last even one
    year, the bags tore. I called and called and called all over.
    I got irate people who said they keep getting calls about this
    company and they are home getting these calls and have no
    idea how their number got online. They have refused me the
    replacement bags, they have lied to me numerous times,
    I faxed them proof of purchase, they did not call me back, I
    am going to keep telling everyone how this company did me
    until they mail the replacement bags to me and if they never
    do I guess all the sites will fill up with my complaints alone.
    The bags they used are defective and do not hold up even a year and these people need to straighten this out by sending
    replacement bags for each one we have purchased and I will
    not shut up until they do. People, BEWARE, of the topsy turvy
    tomato company as they appear to be a very crooked company.

Animalaura Mar 10, 2011

If you want one... just order from Amazon.com --- they are $7.50 each with no shipping costs if you are an
    Amazon PRIME member. I order a LOT of stuff (about 20 per month), and get free shipping because I'm a prime member. Ok, the prime membership is about $80 a year, but that is still cheaper than paying shipping for all the stuff I have bought!

• Me
    Melody Juarez Mar 22, 2010

I live in Teaxs and we have always grown tomatoes well in the ground, like normal people should. What possessed me to buy the hanging tomatoe plant is beyond me!! BIG, BIG, MISTAKE!! Didn't produce a freaking tomatoe except two little ones and they looked bad so I threw them in the trash along with the turvy!! My neighbor is the best tomatoe grower around and she started the same size plants in the same dirt, one in a big patio pot and the other in the turvy and guess who won, NOT THE TURVY. Patio pot grew so big it was growing on the ground and we all had tomatoes. So if anyone out there has a trick to make the thing do as the commercials show, ya need to share. At least ten others had the same problems as we did. Trash can is a good place for um!! Texas Grower

• Ha
    hans415 Mar 18, 2010

I am an avid gardener and bought three from my local Nursery planted tomatoes, cukes and strawberries none produced any thing. Not going to try again.

• Al
    Alexandra84 Jul 31, 2009

If you want to try Topsy Turvy, just buy it in a store. I bought mine at Walgreens, but I'm sure other stores have it, too. I never got around to using it, due to other things going on around here, but my husband has seen LOTS of them while calling on customers, and he said every one he has seen has been doing GREAT; that's what made me want to buy one to begin with! He's seen tomatoes and peppers growing in them, maybe other things. I HATE how companies online or via TV offer one for $19.95, then say that if you act right away, they'll throw in ANOTHER one, for the same price. Big whoop!! You can buy ONE for $9.95 in stores anyway. I would only want one to begin with, to see if the stupid thing even works. Just remember that you can buy MOST of the products that they say can only be bought on TV or online IN STORES, IN PERSON! You save shipping, handling, and don't have to buy more than you want!

• Wi
    William G. Atwell Jul 19, 2009

I bought two of them, they were so heavy by the time you get the plant, soil, and water in them that I could not hardly hoist them up to hang them. I used 350lb nylon string doubled, and one is already broken and on the ground. I also watered them and fertilised with tomatoe miricle grow, but the other one is shriveld up and dead. It does have a few small green and half black tomatoes on it. I wish I could get my money back! What a scam.

• Al
    AlexandraC Jun 22, 2009

Thank you for the information here. I bought a Topsy Turvy at Walgreens the other day and am going to actually plant my tomato plant in it tonight. I hope everybody who had bad experiences with this Hangingtomato.com site gets/got everything straightened out, but I'm afraid that's not too realistic. I got scammed by a site selling a stupid piece of exercise equipment, so I know how you feel.

Jackhammer Apr 24, 2009

I was about to be taken by this scam. Boy, am I glad I read up on this company. Thanks alot

• Ir
    irish joe Apr 24, 2009

Does the "topsy turvy" planter grow trees?

• Ir
    irish joe Apr 24, 2009

Anyone who truly believes that "topsy turvy" is a logical method for growing tomatoes should have their brain removed and use the skull as the planter.

• Da
    David Massengill Apr 18, 2009

I was going to order the topsy turvy planter> But the way times are and the moneyis hard to keep I did some research on this product. And I glad I did because now I will not order this product because of all the problems the company has. I thank this service for its help on opening product (fraud) up and for taking advantage of consumers in the tough economy. THANKS.

• Em
    Emily Apr 01, 2009

Hangingtomato.com is an outright scam site.
    DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM.
    THERE IS NO TELEPHONE NUMBER on their web site
    (a sure sign of shifty dealers?)
    They are in Milford, CT, and their phone number is
    [protected]

You start with page offering hanging tomato
    PLANTERS (though the pictures might suggest they
    are selling tomatos with it - they are not - no tomatos, no seeds, no dirt - just a hanging basket.

They have no phone number on the site. The scam process
    goes like this:
    - the site is hangingtomato.com
    (Says "Topsy Turvy Upside Down Tomato Planter -
    official web site"
    - You order a $19.99 tomato hanger (and expect a 7.95
    shipping charge)
    - of course, you take the "buy one, get one free" offer,
    understanding there will be another 7.95
    - this is a little confusing - as to whether you are
    ordering 2 plants or 2 'whole things', as it says
    "how many B1G1 do you want" (which I read as BIG 1,
    which didn't make sense to me at the time, but
    I now see might be construed for "BuyOne, GetOne")
    - you have already given your credit card number
    at this first screen
    - next couple of screens, they bring on the "now that
    you bought it, do you want some dirt with that order,
    or "how about some foam rings to keep the water from
    running down the plant when you water it?" -
    - say, as I did, I wanted 2 'specials' (total of
    4 plants, you expect to pay
    19.99 x 2 (2 are 'free') = 39.98
    7.95 x 4 = 31.80
    Thought "I'll 'upgrade' to the deluxe model
    that will allow me to plant more than one plant" -
    that's what - $9.99? (not sure of this as
    I'm not putting info back in their site again
    to confirm it)
    1 x 9.99 9.99
    Oops - accidentally clicked "yes" to the
    $9.95 "soil wafers" = 9.95
    I'll edit that on the order confirmation page - and
    THERE IS NO ORDER CONFIRMATION PAGE.

Next page is
    "Thank you for your order:"
    2 Delux Topsy Truvy Plug and Grow 8A6
    39.99 EACH for a total of 79.98
    1 Deluxe Additional Topsy Turvy Plug and Grow 8A7
    (that was the $9.99 upgrade?) 34.99
    1 Topsy Turvy Soil Wafers 9.95

Keep in mind:
    - they've already DOUBLED the cost of the original
    19.99 order - even including SHIPPING
    - the only thing left not already 'shipping already paid'
    is the 'additional' and the styrofoam wafers -
    and they add ANOTHER SHIPPING CHARGE 47.40

TOTAL 172.62
    And
    It's already a fait acompli.
    There's no phone - you can't call and cancel it.
    It's not on your bank statement yet - you can't
    challenge it.
    When it IS on your Bank Statement - they've
    ALREADY SHIPPED it, and won't allow you to
    cancel it because "they need the merchandise back".
    The bank advises you that you must still 'cancel'
    the order so you won't be further liable when
    you call to dispute it.

WHAT A SCAM.
    WHO CAN YOU CALL - NOBODY!

I called about 5 places associated with topsy turvy tomatos,
    and everyone claimed I should call someone else, and
    some might be on the West coast (can't talk to them yet)
    and some on the east (to late to talk to them), and each
    has a script designed to exhaust you and produce no answers.
    ALL claim to not be "the one you should be talking to",
    and give you another number to call and repeat the drill -
    INCLUDING THE NUMBER MY BANK GAVE ME FOR THE SITE THAT
    CHARGED ME!
    I THINK that if you don't make trouble, they take weeks
    and weeks to send your order. If you call enough sites
    and make a nuisance of yourself, they'll ship your order
    right away, at which point you're already on the hook
    for the (OUTRAGEOUS) shipping!