Thyme ans Sage RanchPuppy Mill Sick Dog

S

I adopted a Puggle puppy from Thyme and Sage Ranch on May 3rd, 2008. I contacted Jennifer (the owner) in mid-April about the litter I had found on her website. At that time she told me that there were 2 females left and that one would be held for me. I had to fill out an adoption form and send $125 to her in the mail. A few days after I sent that out I contacted her again to make sure that she received the form and first payment. She said that she did and one of the puppies would be waiting for me at 10:00 May 3rd. I then asked her if my mom and I could come up that weekend to see her facilities and other animals she had available for adoption. Jennifer told me that the majority of her animals are kept in foster care and that it would be a waste of trip but that she would be happy to give us a tour when we came to pick up the puppy. I did not talk to Jennifer anymore until the Saturday we went to pick up the puppy.
We arrived at 10 to get my puppy. We parked by her outdoor facilities and got out of the car and headed toward them. Jennifer came rushing out of her house and lead us to her house instead. While we were heading in she told us about how she got these puppies from an Amish puppy mill and that she buys them out and shuts them down. She had the puppies in her bathroom. They were all scared and hiding. They eventually came out and thats when we noticed how severely bloated they were and that there were scabs covering their bodies. I have worked in a vet clinic environment for almost 3 years so I knew right away that those two things were NOT normal on a puppy. Jennifer told us that the foster mom of the puppies believed that the puppies had the scabs from playing with each other. Jennifer however told us that she was wrong and that she contacted her vet and he said it might be puppy mites and to treat it with Frontline and they will be fine. After I picked out my puppy Jennifer lead us out to the kitchen. She unwrapped a puppy pack and took out a vaccine sheet. There she wrote down two dates and then reached into a container and pulled out 2 vaccine viles and pealed the stickers off and placed it on the sheet. She also wrote down 2 dates for wormings as well. I signed a spay contract and paid Jennifer the remainder of the adoption fee. I then asked her to see the facilities like she had promised me weeks before. She said no and told us there is a virus going around in Milwaukee and she is worried that her shelter may get infected so its not open to the general public. By this time I had got my puppy and was just ready to take her home.
That same night Calli (my puppy) began to have diarrhea. She also began to pass live worms that were 3 to 4 inches long. I took her to the vet right away on Monday to get her checked out. I was given awful news. Calli not only had worms but she had the worst case of round worms that the vet had ever seen. She said that because of the amount and length of the worms she was probably never wormed. She also looked at Calli's skin and decided in order to treat her we would have to do a skin scrap. A skin scrap is when they take a razor and scrap the animals skin until it bleeds, that way they know they got a good sample. They did several skin scraps all over her body. I felt so bad for her as she cried and whined with every scrap. When the results came back the news got even worse. She had a staph infection on her forehead and a bacteria infection on her body. They did not see any mites on the slides but they wanted to treat for those as well. They did a ringworm culture on her that I had to wait 10 days before I found out the results. By the end of my visit Calli got an injection for mites, 2 antibiotics for her skin problems, worming medication, Frontline and worst of all she had to be quarantined for 10 days until the ringworm culture came back. I had quite the vet bill I now had to pay for. I contacted Jennifer right away to warn her about all the things wrong with Calli and that the other puppies probably had the same problem so she should contact all the people to let them know. She told me that she would but that my vet was wrong and just made all that up because they didn't know what was really going on. I asked Jennifer if I could get half of my adoption fee back or something to help with the vet bills and she told me no she could not do that. I was very frustrated and unhappy with the whole experience but in the end I got the most beautiful dog that I love so much. Calli was on treatment for almost a month and lost most of her hair from the infections. It all grew back and she is a very happy and healthy dog.
I CAN NOT PUT INTO WORDS WHAT AN AWFUL AND HEARTLESS PERSON JENNIFER IS. SHE IS JUST IN THIS FOR THE MONEY AND DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE. DO NOT ADOPT FROM HER AND HOPEFULLY SHE WILL BE SHUT DOWN SOON FROM EVERYTHING SHE IS DOING!

• Ms
    Ms. Sigler Oct 21, 2008

Sorry to hear about your experience, but WOW it sounds so similar. My family too "adopted" a dog from Jennifer and was lied to about vaccines and deworming. It was sick almost immediately and we took it to the vet right away, and we had a laundry list of health problems, malnutritioned, parasites, etc. We had to get 6 medicines by the time we left. I also called Jennifer the same day as we adopted pup, and she stated that THE VET WAS WRONG, and said it was stressed, and needed karo syrup, and they just wanted our money.

I was so upset, and yes she did deny any of the adoption fee back to us to help with vet costs. I would have to agree though we nursed puppy to health, and really rescued this little dog.

I would not say DONT adopt from Jennifer but if you do just plan on going to VET immediately and be prepared to spend alot money at vet.

Good Luck

janice Nov 08, 2008

Has anyone reported what they have seen and experienced at this Place? Please report it, it's the only way this abuse will stop. I almost adopted from her but I found it odd that she always has so many puppies that she supposedly gets from a "puppy mill" I almost get the feeling that they are in business together. There is a website called Wisconsin puppy mill project. Go there and report it.

Sandy Neilson Nov 21, 2008

Just an FYI-

These posts are sooo made-up. I volunteer there, and out of curiousity checked filed complaints w/ the Sheriff's Dept-There were two only in the past year-both reports cited these complaints were unfounded...hmmmmm
    Interesting-last week we had 30 adoptions, mostly adult dogs-as everyone seems to focus on puppies here. Further, many stated they read your posts and that drove them out here...so you see, the public is now seeing your lies in person, adoptions are increasing, and you seem to look quite silly. This is a wonderful organization and your posts now seem hidden behind jealousy or revenge-watch out-both bite back.

So, if anyone wants to see the truth, please call for an appointment and visit. Eyes do not lie and then maybe we can create a happy endings link...

Shame on all of you who are trying to prevent animals from getting into homes. There is no profit here as I see the bills and bookwork.

The only thing that stands this organization apart from others is the stand she takes for all animals and her focus on the Mills. There are many ways to rescue. Just as there are many ways to bash on the internet. Think about it and thank god the public knows that there are two sides to every tail...

• Gi
    Gina Pizzo Nov 30, 2008

I've been involved in rescue for 17 years. I have no personal knowledge of this place. Their website states that they have about 300 animals in their care at any time. I can't imagine how many people would have to be involved in order to take proper care of 300 animals AND have time to do adoptions. This is only my opinion, but it sounds like a well meaning person who is unable to distinguish when they are no longer helping an animal. Just based on what I see on their website I would look for another smaller rescue group closer to home. There's lots of them out there and they all have animals that need homes.

Janet Dec 02, 2008

Since there is such a huge debate about what the truth really is, why doesn't someone take a video camera out to this place and post it on the internet for all interested parties to see? If the place is not as bad as it sounds, then there should be no problem with this, right?

I highly doubt the images would not be disturbing...so, let's find someone to go out there and video tape the true conditions of this so-called rescue...

Any problem with that Sandy??? You are all about "libel and slander"...ok, put your money where your big mouth is and let someone video tape the ranch as it really exists...game on??????

Any takers??

• Bo
    Bob Jan 04, 2009

I was considering adopting a puppy from Thyme and Sage Ranch but after reading the "beware" posts, I was concerned. Being a very experienced internet user and knowing that some people's compliment and complaint posts are less than genuine, we decided to drive down to the Ranch to see for ourselves. I think the first thing people who consider adopting a animal that was rescued from a puppy mill is that these are not premium health animals. There is a reason the mill was shut down and the animals were rescued...because the conditions were awful. Upon our arrival, we found our way into the house where the puppies are romping about. This is not a residential house but rather a house just to show the puppies to prospective adopting families. There is another kennel on-site and the adult dogs are kept in there but the "puppy house" is where the action is. When you first come in, Jennifer welcomes you and tells you a little about the different puppies and will help steer you to the right area to find what you might be looking for. There are 20 or so puppies in the house that are not housebroken so there is a urine smell. Jennifer and her volunteers try to keep up with all accidents but the puppies do walk through the pee and get it on their feet. As such, the puppies will smell a bit. And Jennifer makes it clear that these puppies have not been to a vet, she and her volunteers give the puppies their first shots and do their best to adopt out only animals that are healthy enough to be adopted. She tells everyone that their first step is to get a vet appt. She also tells people that if the vet finds anything wrong that is serious, you can get a full refund or exchange. I've adopted 7 rescued animals before and there are no guarantees that you have an animal in perfect health. Bottom line is that if you can't afford or don't want vet bills, you really shouldn't own any pets...they go hand-in-hand. Anyway, after about an hour playing with 6 or so different puppies, we settled on a very shy Lhasa-poo male. I suspect he has some kennel cough and needs a good vet check, something we have scheduled for tomorrow. I hope he is well but as I think I've made clear, I cannot be certain. I could never expect Jennifer or her volunteers to be certain. She rescues so many animals that there is no way she could afford to have a vet staff, not ideal for certain but what is the worse? Do you let the mills continue to treat animals the way they do or do you dedicate your life to rescue and do the best you can. There is no inhumane treatment at the Ranch. Sure, I'd like a pet store setting and my puppy to be vet checked prior to adoption, but think of that expense. Many pet stores buy from mills, either knowingly or not so is that a good option? There is a ton of info on the internet about adopting a rescued animal, it is not for everyone and it is your responsibility to go in armed with knowledge. Here is the best analogy I can think of: would you buy a car, 1000 miles away, without having seen the vehicle on eBay? This works for some people, and doesn't for many others. There are responsible breeders out there and if you are uneasy about adopting a rescued dog, then find one of those. You may very well still have a puppy with a medical condition that you are responsible to treat.

Bottom line: Jennifer has a personal conviction to shut down puppy mills. To do this, she needs to adopt out as many rescued animals as possible. If you consider adopting one of these animals, do your homework and know exactly what you are doing. Know your responsibilities and consider giving Jennifer and the Ranch volunteers a break. They really are trying hard and I bet none of us volunteer more hours towards our favorite charity or cause. I'll keep you updated on my puppy’s health.

• Er
    erinbear04 Jan 17, 2009

To those who have said "it's a puppy mill dog, know what you're getting into, " regardless of the conditions of rescue facilities, no one needs to lie about animals having been given vaccines. I adopted my Jack Russell / Chihuahua mix from T & S Ranch in July of 2008 (after being told that they had the mother and that she was a different breed entirely - not that I particularly care about that). I was told at the time of adoption that she had gotten her first bordatella vaccination. This was clearly not the case as she came down with bordatella less than three days later. She was also severely malnourished and didn't seem like she'd eaten in days.

I find it a little curious that those who work there jump to her defense immediately when she is claiming that EVERY veterinarian visited is just in it for the money. Really? Every single veterinarian in the upper midwest is out for money and they ALL make up ailments (when the animals clearly are very sick)? My friend who adopted her Lhasa Poo from them the same day went through the exact same thing with theirs and we visit different vets.

And for the person who checked with the local police department to see how many criminal complaints have been filed? Some of us would rather spend our time and energy getting our sick puppy back to health and be done with the place... I didn't file a formal complaint because I've already been through enough with my dog and now have one who (hundreds of dollars later) is healthy and happy - no thanks to the people who cared for her the first 10 weeks of her life.

Kasia P Jan 25, 2009

We just got a puppy there one month ago. I was just referring someone there and so I googled the name, and those complaints came up. I had not seen those before. I'm not sure what to believe, but our experience there was very positive. The impression that we got is that the owner really cares about animals. Our puppy was sick and would not eat 2 days after we got her. She went to the vet, they ran every test under the sun (charging us quite a bit of money) and turns out there was nothing wrong w/ her. She just had a tough time adjusting to her new life w/o her litter mates. The vet said that it is extremely common. She is now a very healthy, happy and super-cute puppy. My husband and I want to volunteer at the ranch in the springtime as a thank you for such a wonderful dog. Literally everyone stops me on the street and ask me where we got her. Her breed sells for $1500 in pet stores and we adopted her for a very reasonable fee of $275. I think the people who posted these complaints dont really understand the whole rescue concept. You are not buying from a breeder. Thus, the rescue ranch may not always know the history of the animal. It may come to them w/ worms, etc. You may have a large vet bill as a result.

• Kl
    K Lee Jan 27, 2009

I wanted to rescue a dog from her so-called "rescue" a few months ago. What I saw there made me sick to my stomach. She keeps all of the adult dogs in a freezing cold barn. Every single water bowl was frozen with water and the dog's food was spilled over into their feces and lost in the hay the dogs lay on. The dogs are overcrowded and trampeling on one another. Jennifer's own volunteer told me that she better shape her place up or else this volunteer would contact a humane society and shut her down. That is really sad that her own volunteer thinks that. Jennifer only cares about her puppy profit and nothing else. She has brand new stainless steel appliances in her adoption house but yet cannot afford adequate housing and sanitary needs for her "rescued" dogs. The only difference in this place and a puppy mill is the fact that the dogs are not breeding with one another. The conditions are the same. Her puppies are covered in feces because they are kept in a small babies play pen. One dog was having a seizure when I was there and an injured dog was being trampled on by the others it was kenneled with. It was heartbreaking! THIS PLACE IS A HOUSE OF HORRORS and I cannot believe they call this place a rescue! Do not give this woman a dime...or else you will be supporting her dump of a rescue AND puppy mills. Do your homework before "buying" a dog from her. Don't you find it odd that she continuously has puppies from mills that have supposedly shut down?

• Kl
    K Lee Jan 28, 2009

I too have visited the ranch and witness the diplorable conditions in the adult barn. Jennifer never stepped foot out there when I was there...too busy with the feces covered puppies to come check on the adult dogs. If you are a VOLUNTEER there and say the place is in good condition, you've got your head in the clouds and are very neive and ignorant. Anyone who believes this place is a credible adoption agency needs to do a little more research on what a rescue is. The amount Jennifer is charging is ridiculous for these sick dogs/puppies. BOYCOTT Thyme and Sage Ranch! I cannot believe this woman is still operating a business...and that is exactly what it is to her, a business. If she really cared for the dogs like her volunteers say, then why do the dogs live in such filth? I am guessing the ones who had a positive experience with getting a puppy, never went into the adult enclosure. Because if you had, you would be disgusted like the rest of us.

• Su
    supporttheranch Jan 28, 2009

We adopted a Puggle from Thyme and Sage ranch 3 wks ago and couldn't be happier! He had his first vet visit and is completely happy no worms, defects, etc. This is a non-profit organization. That is why she has a full-time job. She is trying to do the best she can with what she has. I praise her for that. I have told everyone I can to go to her to get a dog. The conditions weren't the best but are far better than these poor dogs living in puppy mills! Also, from my experience, most new pups have some sort of worms. It's not expensive to treat and very common.

Janice Jan 28, 2009

K Lee-
    You posted twice as two different people...everytime you email it prints your name. FYI

Janice Jan 28, 2009

I should add that I too have visited this facility, more so being nosey w/ these posts.

I am now aware that people can post and make-up things.(also exaggerate to the utmost extreme).

First of all...no volunteers would ever donate their time and evergy to something they did not believe in. Perhaps it was someone who was helping that day because they tought there was a need.
    K Lee-did you offer to help?
    Did you speak to the owner about your concerns?
    Wouldn't that be more pro-active then bashing them on here?
    Perhaps you are disgrunted because she would not adopt to you?
    or perhaps you are jealous or have a hidden motive?

Regardless-I had a WONDERFUL experience and love what they are about.

It should be noted that a newspaper article which is much more credible then the postings on here came out:

Richland Observer
    January 22, 2009

and I paraphrase:

...3 complaints which responding Sheriff Dept deputies found to be unfounded. Everything reported came back as clean bedding, ample food, and water were present.

Puppies noted as a local Mill rescue was undertaken

Makes you wonder about some of the cruel people on here.

This is a rural area where dogs are still shot.
    K Lee-

call around and see what other shelters tell you when you need help placing a Pitbull or this amount of animals...

No space
    Do not rescue that breed...

Come on-get real and VOLUNTEER instead of griping. Help make things better or offer suggestions vs hiding behind false postings...

Mark S. Jan 29, 2009

I cannot believe the amount of stories in regards to this animal rescue. I had issues with this place as well. First and foremost, I do understand that with an adoption of a pet, especially a puppy mill discard, there can be unexpected vet bills and circumstances that she will not be able to guarantee, which she told me about and I was ok with.

Havin said that, I adopted an 8 wk. old puggle in june that had a hernia in her groin. She had clearly stated to me that she had removed the hernia, and spayed her & gave her shots all within the process of when she had this animal. As soon as I got her home, I set up an appointment with my vet who is one of the most professional and trusting vets you could have.

First off, the sutures that were in my puppy looked like shoe strings, where the incision was gapped almost 3/8" apart. There was a huge bulge on my puppy when I picker her up, but was told that would go away with time. My vet waited 6 wks in hopes to allow ample time for the bulge to disappear. It never did. My vet finally opened my puppy back up to find out the hernia was still there. Not only was it there, fat had built up between the hernia, and from what I was told, she did a major hackjob doing whatever she tried to do to fix the hernia.

We fixed that, and closed it back up, and all was well. Up until last week when she went into heat. I called Jennifer, and she had told me I had signed a "contract to spay", and was ever spayed, which distinctly was not what she said when I picked up the puppy. Needless to say, yesterday she had to go under again and get spayed.

I dont mind being responsible and paying for these things. What I do mind is the fact that my poor puppy has been put under 3 TIMES in 8 mths. that is absolutely unacceptable, as for what I am told is its the anesthetics that could cause complications in pet surgerys' not the surgerys itself.

My point is this... these stories where she is saying one thing and another turns out to be the case is ABSOLUTELY true. It has convinced me to take further action as my vet said, and will be looking into the Consumer Protection Agency to make them aware about this case. I too was trying to do the best thing for the animal... but I dont need to be lied to.

Before You Complain About Your Local Animal Shelter
    Printer FriendlyASPCA, National Shelter OutreachIt is very easy to misinterpret animal shelters from the outside. It is equally possible to misunderstand what is observed happening on the inside. The following are some common complaints that can be easily misinterpreted by volunteers and visitors. On the other hand, these can also be valid complaints. In either case, before you complain take a moment to talk with the shelter management and find about more about the daily operations.

Please Don't Misconstrue:

No Water: Many dogs and cats tip over their water bowls on a regular basis and if their water was continuously filled they would be soaking wet. Therefore, some animals are watered on a regular basis and not provided with water 'round-the clock.

No Food: Animals fed on a free feed basis often overeat and get diarrhea. Shelter animals are generally fed twice a day (more for sick, younger or special needs animals) so you won't necessarily see food in their cages.

Euthanasia: Yes, animal shelters need to euthanize animals. It is not possible to build a shelter large enough to house all animals in need. Most shelters have formulated guidelines on euthanasia decision-making.

Dirty Cages: No matter how often or how well a shelter cleans there will be some dirty cages at any one time. Cages are often at their worst first thing in the morning before the shelter staff has had a chance to throughly clean and disinfect all the animal runs and cages.

Sick Animals: No matter how comprehensive the health program a shelter conducts there will always be some sick animals. Most animals arrive unvaccinated and many harbor contagious diseases. A good shelter isolates and treats sick animals as soon as possible.

Adoption Refusals: No shelter has a crystal ball, they will sometimes refuse adopting to a potentially good owner or worse, adopt animals to an unsatisfactory owner. Good shelters try hard to match the right pet with the right owner and give the new owner realistic expectations about their new companion.

Cruelty to Animal ComplaintsShelters with cruelty investigation programs can only enforce existing laws (as well as lobby for new stronger legislation). Shelters do not condone irresponsible marginal pet owners but often cannot "correct" the situation without owner cooperation. Investigators can only enforce existing (and often insufficient) laws. All too often, they witness poor conditions, but if no law is violated, agents must limit their actions to educating the owner about improving his animal's care.

So before you complain, take a moment to talk to the shelter management and find out if your complaint is indeed valid. Give the shelter the benefit of the doubt. Is there something you can do to help with the situation?

Take it to the Top
    If a complaint is valid and you don't think you can make a difference by working from within the organization, then you should communicate your displeasure directly with the executive director and the board of directors of the shelter. Additionally, if they have a service contract with the local municipality contact the city council as well. Finally, you may wish to contact your local Better Business Bureau and/or write a letter to the editor of your local paper.

Mark-

I do not know what to say...except you are a liar or pay no attention to anything. I am a volunteer at this facility. In fact-you just call us about 2 days ago inquiring about your animal. This is the first we heard from you in a long time...you stated you adopted a 6 week old Puggle and she corrected you on the age of your animal stating we do not adopt out anything under 8 weeks of age. Further-you were confused by why she was now in heat? I pulled you file and see our vet did her surgery for a hernia on her groin(thus why she came to us from a Mill)-she was not spay as you signed a mandatory spay contract-so how can you be confused on that-?????
    Further...two vaccs were given and three wormings.

I am curious as to the credibility of your vet---there would have been a spay scar and why would our vet remove the hernia (which in itself is stressful surgery) and preform a spay at the same time?

People get real...some of the problem is education proper puppy and dog care.

You even thought a spay female could still drip blood like an unspay female.

So nice on the phone and then this post?????

Sorry Mark--

I reread your post-

You are implying that Jennifer does her own surgeries now?

Also-

If so concerned, why didn't you or your vet contact our vet-almost a year ago? or at least Thyme and Sage Ranch?

Lastly, how could your vet overlook that she was not already spay--he even cut her open as you say?

Now I know why Jennifer does not go on here---I wonder about the caliber of some people posting.

LoveyDHowell Feb 08, 2009

Ahhh the power of the internet...CLEARLY some personal agendas above! Funny, how these postings remind me of middle school & high school. Let’s see, we have:

* ATTENTION DEFICITE ~ those who may have been capable of comprehending the situation but lacked ability to focus attention long enough to gather all necessary information to make the grade

* JUST PLAIN IGNORANT ~ was never really able to comprehend the whole situation (or even part of it)

* THE "MEAN GIRLS" ~ those who felt the need to knock down the kind hearted. Always told lies to try and build themselves up. Then one day we all realized what they were up to...remember those girls at the reunions? Yeah, year after year, we laugh all the way home because in the end, we all knew that GOOD always overcomes EVIL!

On December 27, 2008, I rescued the love of my family’s life from Jennifer and all I can say is she is a very loving, hard working angel! She was VERY CLEAR with both my Mom and I that these puppies will more than likely have health issues so an immediate trip to the vet was of great importance. Further, Jennifer asked that we let her know the outcome right away so she could make sure to pass along any information to future adoptive families if either puppy had something contagious. NOT ONCE did she ever deny an ailment that either of our pups had and NEVER implied that a vet had misdiagnosed.

I could have paid $1, 200-1, 500 for the breed of my puppy from a pet store or breeder but chose to go this route instead because of the rescue aspect. If I spend that much in vet bills, so be it...I've still saved the life of a beautiful puppy that would probably have been put down...I CAN'T IMAGINE!

This woman is saving the lives of beautiful animals and anyone who is on here for anything other than a legitimate complaint should remove it immediately. I spoke to a family in Madison that adopted elsewhere because of these postings so you will have to live with the fact that you are sending away loving families for these puppies by your negative words...don't forget what they say about KARMA!?!

• Mo
    Monica Feb 14, 2009

I have to totally disagree with the complaints. What most people don't understand is in what poor conditions the puppmills are and in what poor conditions the puppy's and dogs are.

When adopting a puppymill rescue you can expect medical costs. All puppmill dogs are kept in vile conditions and are usually terribly inbred.

I have adopted many puppymill rescues and know they can come with problems. I also adopted from Jennifer and found no problems with her facility or operations.

You have to understand shelters are run by people who dump their own money and time into saving animals lives. Besides the Humane Societies and County and City animal controls all other shelters do not get any state or federal money.

• K9
    k9rescuer Feb 16, 2009

I have been to Thyme and Sage...I work with a Rescue Group that tried to help Jennifer out because we thought she was getting in over her head. We took and adult female dog from her that she had for 5 months at that ranch, and when we took her in to get her spayed 2 days after taking her from Jennifer..our vet called us and said that the dog had an absorbed pregnancy and that it was obvious that she had gotten pregnant while in Jennifers care.

So much for spaying and neutering.
    Also I am sure that you all will be happy to know that Petfinder has "kicked" Jennifers Thyme & Sage operation off of the petfinder website because of the numerous complaints to Petfinder from people that had bought pups from Jennifer, and from vets that complained to Petfinder because they were seeing so many ill puppies from that place.

All I can say is Hallelujah, , , but I do feel sorry for the remaining 200 or so pups that are still with her stuck in horrible conditions.

PS Jennifer has never been involved in a Puppy mill raid in Monroe County as she so claims.

• Ha
    HannahMontana Feb 16, 2009

Sandy Neilson-Just because something isn't filed doesn't mean it hasn't happened. A lot of people assume that there isn't anything to be done about it. You should take more care into the animals rather then accusing people of lying.

• Ni
    Nicole Feb 17, 2009

I have also been to her facility and feel there is a personal witch-hunt from others who are not-so successful with their own rescue groups.
    She is WONDERFUL...when I was there, Dane County Humane Society was helping w/ a transfer of 35 dogs/puppies. I think she just cares where they go and other rescue groups cannot stand rejection. Further, she clearly stated she has never raided a Puppy Mill-that they either shut down on their own or surrendered adults to her. There are no males or females kept together as implied above-

I would like to know if the so-called K9 rescue above has space for the 200 dogs she /he feels bad for? or are you one that rescues 4 dogs and state they are all in foster homes...it sounds as if she transferred dogs to you so what is your gripe? Something personal? No longer working w/ you? Good rescues do not bash other rescues on blogs and in forums. What rescue are you with so we can see a list of your dogs...I bet it is a list of under 10-

Monroe County isn't even in her area...
    Why don't you go rescue?...

I feel that she is doing the work an angel as well...and all you bashers are "not up to par"

• Be
    beachball 89 Mar 15, 2009

this place is horrible. we adopted a so called bassethound puppy from her in march of 2008. who was ill with kennel cough and even though she had been supposdly wormed three times we still had to worm her repeatedly. she had the worst case of worms and bloody diarhea i have ever seen. we took her to the vet and she said she had had a puupy form there she treated on an emegency bases over the weekend and that the owner had called jennifer and she said that the vet was lying. so when i called jennifer she said she had no knowledge of this. bull crap!!! you volunteeers who say these post are madeup would you like to take a look at my vet bills?? you have your head in the clouds. if jennifer is so awesome why are so many animals ill from there and why does she charge adoption rates depending on the breed? because she is greedy. kennel cogh is very contaagios so most of the puppies that were ther all in the same little pen freezing outside had to have been infected. the vet clinic will not even let you in the front door with suspected kennel cough. I asked for may money back and help with my vet bills but of course the greedy women said no. and she should be followning up on these spay/neuter contracts.

jaws of life Mar 20, 2009

Wow-

I must admit that having read all this, I went out for a visit. I am now a true believer in that you cannot believe what you read.

We left with two dogs-both adults and my sister-in law a puppy.

All passed their vet exams w/ flying colors.
    Look at Oprah-I am sure that rescue is sad that they adopted out two puppies that got Parvo.
    No rescue wishes any of this on new owners. They can only do their best with what they have been dealt.

After meeting Jennifer-my opinion is this a small group of people who keep re-posting. I recommend finding a new hobby.

• Gs
    GSD 4 Me Mar 24, 2009

Very funny to whomever said they thought that they would go out and pay a visit to this place.

And you just happen to leave with 2 dogs and a puppy for your sister in law.

So basically if we look into your words-you adopted three dogs on the spot??????? Did she not have you pre apply to adopt these dogs like any good rescue would. They would check vet references, personal references, and then would contact you to come out and adopt the dogs at that time. No reputable rescue lets someone just "come out for a visit" and then lets them go home with three dogs.

Whoever is "Jaws of Life" (which could possibly be Jennifer herself) or one of her "followers" because Jennifer cant stand up for herself on this board I find it rather odd in the way she just conducted her adoption with you.

• Av
    AverageJoe Mar 26, 2009

Alright, I've been quiet long enough!!

The issue here is Rescue Vs. Neglect. Rescue means to remove a pet from an environment where its being mistreated for any reason. This doesn't mean the dog is being beat, or being bred like crazy...It means that you are taking that animal to a better place than where its being mistreated for what ever reason. Now, Neglect is what happens when dogs basic needs, such as food, water, AND A VET (basic care) aren't being met. Its also when they are laying in their own feces, urine, as well as their kenel mates excrements - or even being exposed to other diseases (skin disorders, etc.) as I have read above.

Allowing dogs to have illness' (Kennel Cough, Mites, Worms, etc.) IS CALLED "NEGLECT", NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT! If she is aware these animals are sick which many above have mentioned, then she is clearly neglecting the dogs basic needs.

Correct, GSD4Me, you CAN adopt from her by filling out the form, handing over the money, and walking out the door with a sick dog in less than 20 minutes - no application checks, or anything. I spoke to someone after they adoptied a dog from there and they said, "Gee, she was able to pull the vaccination information rigth off the top of her head without referring to any other documentation. That seems odd when you have 20+ dogs running around." Oh, by the way, my friends dog eventually died from an illness the dog had before they adopted it. I have to mention, that my friends contacted Jennfier and she down played the illness as something else entirely. Call it lack of education, or a Con just to get and keep the money.

"Oh, you don't understand that she is pouring her own money into the shelter..." Blah, Blah, Blah...
    Thyme and Sage Ranch operates as a Non-Profit. This means she can take in a million dollars during the year, but has to show at the end of the year, that they spent a million dollars - hence the term, non-profit. From what I see here, she is doing pretty well.

Lets break it down. One of the "volunteers" mentioned above that they had 20 adoptions in one day (a Saturday I believe). Yep, $200 per dog X 20 = $4, 000. That's approximately $16, 000 +/- per month, or for those not good with math, that's about $192, 000 +/- per year give or take, based on what she charged for the particular pet. Now, that figure didn't take into account the animals she also sells on Sunday's. So I would venture to guess Thyme and Sage is pulling in well over $200k a year. So I'm just dying to get into a discussion with the person who thinks its OK for someone making well over $200, 000 a year, to avoid having a full time vet, or even getting the dogs the necessary treatment they deserve by having a vet come on once a week to administer basic necessary treatments.

I understand there are costs associated with rescuing animals. I get that part. BUT, there are several other "real" shelters that save animals and operate on a fraction of what it appears that Thyme and Sage makes.

• To
    Too bad so sad Mar 31, 2009

You sound very stupid Average Joe-
    Why would anyone making that work full-time and commute 1 1/2 hours each way to work five days a week...

You sure are throwing numbers out there that you just made up to reflect her business...Come on!

We don't you all go back to Ebay or get a hobby.
    I did some research and every, and I mean EVERY, complaint filed w/ the County had been unfounded. That means untrue-no basis etc...

Shelters always deal w/ Parvo--strays can come in w/ it...this is nothing new...

Get on with your life.
    Start your own shelter
    Go volunteer...

Gets old ya know...

• Tr
    truth Apr 01, 2009

OK, For the record-The Dane County Humane Society DOES NOT BELIEVE IN THE INTEGRITY OF HER "RESCUE", I have spoken with them multiple times, numerous Vets are outraged by her practices, I have contacted HSUS Investigations in Gaithersburg Maryland- who are closely watching her, Jennifer supposedly sits on the county board for Richland county- no wonder any county investigation in to her turns up "nothing', she advertises affiliation with Richland county government-whose position has been that they are not "involved" in her Puppy mill rescue dogs-only in other recovered animals needing shelter. Well, I have checked with a local attorney who states that as long as she advertises affiliation with county government and law-enforcement, they may be also held liable-SO WAKE-UP RICHLAND COUNTY. Lastly for those of you who recall her stating a 10 day money back return policy, only to notice it is not in writing on your contract-I do have it in writing. If anyone needs this kind of confirmation-let me know. The puppie we adopted also was sick, also felt by our vet she was less than 8 weeks, also felt by our vet not to have been de-wormed. WHY DID WE TAKE HER ANYWAY? Because she needed saving -from Jennifer! Without completely knowing Jennifer's intentions-to run a shelter the way she does is almost a greater sin than that of the puppy-mills. She misrepresents, she does not give appropriate care, and she preys on the hearts of well-intentioned people- all in the name of self-righteousness!

• Av
    Average joe Apr 01, 2009

Dear Too Bad So Sad,
    It’s really too bad and so sad that you are that naieve. If you can't see from the complaints on this site alone, and this isn't the only site with complaints, then you are blind too. It makes me laugh, that you have done this "research" and every complaint has been unfounded. Well, I have some news for you...you may want to sit down for this...

For anyone who knowingly sells sick animals, or selling animals that do not get proper veterinary care, are neglecting the needs of those animals. Yes, I used the word Neglect. Get used to it. Go to the Thyme and Sage Ranch. You will see neglect; Dogs in their own feces, unrine, dogs with skin disorders (multiple animals with skin disorders ALL IN THE SAME CAGE", several animals with Parvo, worms, etc.. So ask yourself this...why is it ok for Jennifer to sell animals when she is aware (some on this list have told her) that her facility has the active Parvo virus. Its called Neglect. Its called, "I would rather spend the money on something else, as opposed to spending it on the dogs that are in my care..."

"Oh, the place isn't so bad" one person said. "You should have seen where they came from." another said. If you rescue a dog from filthy, unhealthy conditions, where its not getting veterinary care, etc., and move the dog to your "rescue", but allow it to live the same way - how is that any better off than it was before? Its not rocket science here. Stop defending this behavior.

I can only speculate on the amount of money T&S brings in. But lets be realistic. I keep hearing about 20 dogs this day, 30 that day. Come on...It really appears to be about the money.

Also "To bad so sad",
    You recommend that I get on with my life, and start my own shelter. That would be pretty easy if all I did was whine like you all day, but unfortunately, I am still getting over the death of my puppy from Thyme and Sage too, so you know what - I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE TICKED OFF. The death of our puppy affected my entire family, and our other pets. Not to mention my entire bank account.

So, do I care that she has a job that she has to commute to every day? I guess I should, since if she has that job, and commutes some 3 hrs every day as you said, in addition to an 8 hr work day, then she is basically out of the house for about 11 hrs each day. If you factor in 7 hrs of sleep, that leaves about 4 hours to care for all of the dogs, other animals, horses, etc. This hardly seems like a valid statement on your part. Again, you may want to do the math on this...

• Da
    Dawn Apr 29, 2009

I too adopted a puppy, a King Cavalier Cockapoo in January. I had her 3 days then took her to the vet for a check up, but also because she was sick. Two days later we almost lost her and she was in the hospital for 4 days. My vet is convinced she was much younger than the 8 weeks, which is what I told at the ranch. She finally lost her teeth this week which means she was only 4-5 weeks when I picked her up. After $2800 and a few months, I now have a healthy puppy (I hope). I am just curious if any other puppies from this litter of 7 got sick. Because of the age discrepency, I feel I can not believe anything else I was told.

• Ta
    TAG May 19, 2009

Well, now we do know the truth! I just received an email From the American Humane Society, which is on the property now and SHUTTING THEM DOWN as I write. Anyone else care to try and stand up for this place claiming they are ethically and humanely treating the animals in their care? I wouldn't doubt it that the owner put people up to posting in her defense.

Lori Roberts May 19, 2009

Thyme and Sage Ranch raided on May 19, 2009.

Lori Roberts May 19, 2009

FINALLY!

• Wi
    wirescuer May 19, 2009

This is the most awesome news ever. There is also something posted on CNN.com and also on the United States Humane Society website out of Washington DC.

some of the things stated are "appalling, deplorable conditions, skin infections, open wounds, matted dogs, poor air ventilation, multiple dogs in same pens"

It's about time that this all comes out and that the public finally knows whats going on since there were a few people on this board saying how wonderful Jennifer and T&S are. What a Joke!!!

• Kn
    knk May 20, 2009

Well the choice was made so now you can all stop wasting your time talking about it. Today 300+ dogs were taken from Thyme and Sage and moved to the Dane County Shelter. The reports say the conditions were not acceptable. To all those that tried to do your part and save a dog-good for you and especially for the lucky dog! For those of you that worked there and tried to help-good for you for trying to help the situation. Your time and caring kept many dogs alive long enough to get to a better place and the care they all needed. I think we sometimes are too hard on those we don't understand. I'd say this was a woman that had a heart bigger than her ability to do what she knew was right. I personally am going to pray for Jennifer that she is not too hard on herself. I hope that she can eventually find peace with what the situation is now. I would not point fingers or slander her, because you can bet that she is at her lowest right now. Facts are facts and if you had troubles with an adoption, then, as my eight year old says, "It's done. Move on." I hope that more of you that are concerned will volunteer at your local shelters to ease the burden caused by the economy and mills. Also, contact your state reps to fight the puppy mills. It would be a much more productive use of your efforts.

• Pe
    petlover615 May 20, 2009

To everyone who has posted on here and has not seen the news:

Thyme and Sage Ranch has undergone a seizure yesterday and the ASPCA, Humane Society of America, Dane County Humane Society and many others are currently at the Ranch seizing the animals and saving them from their horrid conditions!

Congrats to everyone who has made complaints and had a hand in this!

• Mo
    montyson May 22, 2009

Check out the NY. ASPCA web site and you'll see this place has been SHUT DOWN, arrests pending.

• Sp
    SPC May 27, 2009

WAKE UP PEOPLE!! If you think Jennifer actually cares about these animals read the official complaint against her! I have to laugh at all of you who defended her. Of course for all I know it could be Jennifer herself writing those posts. She's slick - I'll give her that.

• Ju
    Julie May 30, 2009

Guess that answers the questions of who is telling the truth.

• Je
    jenny jenny May 31, 2009

Please, this is not over. Those of you with valid, documented complaints about T&S go to the website above and complain to the DA's Office. The move evidence the have, the better case they can present against Jennifer.

Our shelter recieved 10 of the T&S dogs today. Even after initial clean-up and almost 2 weeks of TLC at Dane County Humane (bless ALL of you who worked to help the dogs in the tents!!!) they're still smelly, scared, and one looks to be halfway through a pregnancy. Gee, I wonder how that happened.