Deer Mom Apr 08, 2013

I have gone back in my records, and apparently, the thumbplay charge has been on my account since either day one or the second month I was with AT&T. I had been with Sprint and changed over to AT&T. They are correct that in a perfect world, I would have noticed the fraudulent charge from the beginning, and I would have fit within their refund policy...if you catch them stealing within two months, you get your money back. I just received a letter from them repeating this policy and verifying that I have, in fact, paid them 9.99 since August 2011. No excuses on my side..I should have noticed earlier. But there are also no excuses on their side..they shouldn't have teamed up with Thumbplay to commit fraud. I hope that the lawyers above this comment will certify a class of all who have been defrauded by Thumbplay in its own right, or in concert with a carrier. AT&T's letter to me was full of inaccuracies (they said I complained and got a refund in 2012...it was just last month, in 2013) so that it would not satisfy the FCC's requirements of notice. I have called Jontele Mason at [protected] to put her on notice that the garbage they sent me did not, in any legal sense, end this. Therefore, if a class action suit is considered, please include me.

• Fraud Legal Services Apr 04, 2013

Fraud Legal Services (FLS) represents individuals throughout the US who are victims of fraudulent charges, fee, contracts, reimbursements and claims. Our focus is on telephone, internet, satellite, and cable companies.

Based on the details of your complaint, I think we have a worthwhile case against the company.

The Consumer Fraud Act (CFA) holds the company responsible for any billing and service problem, even if it was not intentional. Also, the CFA makes the company pay my attorney fees if I am able to prove they are at fault and recover all or a portion of your disputed amount.

Would you be willing to allow me to represent you? There would be no cost to you, and I would not take any refund the company makes to you now or in the future.

If you don't want to give up on your dispute, you can submit the details of your claim to me online at www.fraudlegalservices.com or email [email protected] or call [protected].

Let's make the company pay!
    Blake Thomas
    Attorney at Law
    Fraud Legal Services

Deer Mom Mar 21, 2013

I posted a complaint earlier this month re thumbplay and att&t. I filed a complaint with the FCC. Yesterday, I received a call and an email from AT&T's office of the president. They want to talk about my FCC complaint. There is nothing to talk about since they know what I want: full refund for all the months they charged me 9.99, to admit they are in bed with thumbplay and this didn't "just happen" without their knowledge, and for everyone who has ever been subject to this theft to get a full refund. AT&T is either equally guilty of theft because they have been compensated in some fashion for giving thumbplay access, or if they have provided thumbplay with access for free, they are guilty of not giving their shareholders full value. Sorry AT&T, but you can't deny culpability by buying me off. Will update as this unfolds. I suggest you all go to the FCC site and file a complaint. It is simple to do.

• Da
    Dayr Mar 18, 2013

I just called at&t for the same reason. I definitely did not put my cellphone number nor recieved any kind of text message agreeing to any ringtone or music or any of these nonesense. I make my own ringtones and my own message alerts. So I definitely dont go around wanting any free BS. And they were charging me for tbis service for an 'app' I dont even have! Wtf... this is a legitimate problem now, since unless my cat subscribed me to it, there is no way I introduced my phone number into any site. I work a lot with computers and I know how unsafe it is on the internet, so I will NOT accept these kind of offers under any reasons. So the 'I dont recall' comment does not apply to me. I certainly did not. Not to mention that for the time they told me I 'subscribed' to this, I was in my midterms and definitely not screwing around with my phone.

Deer Mom Mar 04, 2013

in thumbplay hell right now.deleted their text, ordered nothing...have been charged 9.99 for ages. att says tough for anything but the last two months. i should have noticed...they shouldn't have stolen my money...filed complaint with fcc. tweeting, will probably get no where..but this is ridiculous. i have put parental controls on my own phone to keep this from happening.

• Tm
    t-mobile hater now Jun 08, 2012

T-mobile threatened to cut off my phone services when I attempted to only pay my legitimate phone bill. Instead, they demanded $40.00 for 4 months of $9.99 3rd party billing for a co. called THUMBPLAY. They claim they "can't reverse the charges because it is not a t-mobile charge." When I contacted Thumbplay, they said "they can't reverse the charges because they have no affiliation with t-mobile." This is total fraud. I did sign up at classactionconnect.com where some lawyers appear to be in process filing a class-action for this, which seems warranted. That is great, but honestly doesn't really do anything but make lawyers rich and punish the greedy cell phone cos. Meanwhile us normal folk who just want to go about honest business get screwed. At minimum, you will waste a bunch of time fighting with both cos. - both having a convenient tactic of pointing the finger at the other and claiming no ability to do anything. Thumbplay tried to tell me they are a legit co., yeah right. Bottom line is someone figured out exactly how much money to steal from people that the people lose no matter what - I mean I'm wasting my time for this email and venting anger for 40 bucks. Not worth it. But, I will leave t-mobile for sure after this fiasco.

• Kb
    Kboateng Mar 03, 2011

Sprint.com is a SCAM. They have been billing me for the past 2 yrs for $9.99 without my consent. I just found out what the've been doing and they said they can only credit me 3 months. I persisted and then i was forwarded to a suppervisor and he credited me 6months. I asked for his corporate office contact and he doesn't know. I will take this issue all the way to the supreme court. Anyone wants to join a Class Action agains Sprint.com should stay put. I will let you guys know when you can join the action.

Chuck Barnard Dec 28, 2010

I own a HTC EVO, and for the past 3 weeks I have not been able to get Thimbplay to play, or even comnect!!-I called customer service, and.was told they were working on the problem, but I still can not get Thumbplay to work on my.EVO, and I pay $9.99 a month for a service I can not use!! Thanks, [email protected]

• Ta
    talltexan2 Nov 03, 2010

Federal Trade Commission has two pages up on the proper use of the word "FREE" and this is definitely an illegal use of that word- while lawyers are nice, as are AG's, and even the FCC and Congress- I firmly believe that for Thumbplay- we should find the entire staff- and tar and feather them all. --also any revenue splitting or sharing of these fees between the TB and the cellular providers needs to be examined in full.

Mad Dad Too Oct 11, 2010

Well these scams continue. Our 10 year old accepted the "free" offer and we're getting billed every month.

I called Verizon as soon as I figure out what was going on (they slip it into the bill as "premium messaging" which sounds a lot like the service we originally did subscribe to).

The first agent offered to block 3rd party billing on the line, and give a 1 month credit.

Then I called back to block 3rd party billing on all our cell lines, and the next agent offered 3 months credit!

So - check your bills, keep your cool, block all your lines, and keep calling back until you get what you want!

• Lu
    LunyLark May 10, 2010

TP charges $9.99 for software update embedded in Nokia OVI Suite

RealityCeck writes, "the "I don't recall" subscribing comments are hilarious - So, because you don't recall subscribing means you didn't?"

Third party subscriptions embedded in smartphone software updates is, in my opinion, dirty pool - you get 20 disclaimers and click continue like an automoton - that's not advised consent, sorry.

Why is the trial period only 3 days, btw? Does this sound like a company with a ligit business plan and customer-first policy?

I called the CELL CARRIER (not TP) and blamed my 12 year old son for subscribing - they are required by Federal Law to issue credit under THAT circumstance.

Then I blocked all third party billable content from the line.

IMHO, that's the way you fight back, folks.

janebean Jan 13, 2010

i called them today and It was so very fast to request a check and refund. I wonder however, how long it will take to arrive. They charged me even though I did not use the service and I called them right away with the concern. So, I guess the service was good except for the inconvenience of having to wait for a refund check. They make their money in having us wait. They show a sale and send us a check when it seems convienient for them to do so.

• Kt
    KTDaddy Sep 03, 2009

My wife was looking for free ringtones and put all our phone numbers at risk with TP. How do I block charges??

Mad In Indiana Aug 12, 2009

Wow!
    I got my AT&T bill today and guess what? $9.99 for TP
    I never knew such things existed and did not know they could do this without authorizaton. That is BS! I will be sure to call the BBB, States Attorney and anyone else I can think of, maybe even my attorney.
    I got a credt from AT&T and a block code.

• Sp
    Sprintbitten Jul 28, 2009

Send a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Sprint needs to add "secondary edits" or "Are you sure?" features to all of there immediate subscription icons. If you notice, these icons tend to be in the natural scroll field. Sprint is reaping huge rewards on this. First, they tell you it's a third party billing even though Sprint collects the fee's. Second, it's Sprints network. It is difficult at best to believe Sprint is not generating revenue by granting these so called third party services on their hardware, in their software and in their mailed invoice. Third, when you do complain they tell you it is a 60 day verification process and then when you follow up, they tell you they can't credit anything over 60 days old. Call it what it is. A scam. Squeaky wheel's get the grease. You have to load the BBB with this complaint. When it becomes visible, then they'll change it. You can also send letters to the State Attorney Generals Office. This office will simply send them on to the BBB. However, when the State Attorney General's Office starts to incur labor burden to forward, they will get tired of the complaints and will ultimately get involved. The stamp is less then 50 cents.

• Am
    Amanda Feb 08, 2009

When you get third party charges like this I highly recommend calling the carrier. I work for Sprint (CS). I have a way to look up a number and opt customers out, also block that short code from ever texting you again. I recommend this being done. Because even if you text stop, I have found some people still keep getting these charges.

Remember; It's not Sprints fault, it's these stop third party charges. These third party people have rights to do this to on any carrier so it could happen anywhere.

Another thing to remember is sometimes you will get one more bill with the charge after unsubscribed, these is because the company that charged you (thumbplay, playphone, etc.) for that month before you called in.

Deezulbub Feb 02, 2009

I can understand the "'I don't recall' subscribing comments are hilarious" post, but only to a certain extent. Here's why...

I was using my Smartphone to browse the web when I accidentally "clicked" on a Thumbplay link as I was trying to scroll down the page. The TP link page offered a free ring tone, with explanation of automatic subscriptions or any other terms on the page. So, I entered my phone number to have a free ring tone sent to me and clicked "ok".

I chose a ringtone and immediately received a text message stating that if I wished to "continue" their service, I would subscribe at the now-infamous $9.99/month. (My ringtone was attached to the text message, BTW.) The text also stated that to "cancel" this service and avoid being charged anything, I could reply with "STOP", which I did immediately.

I received a response to this text stating that no service had been subscribed, so there was nothing to cancel and that if I wanted the service to visit Thumbplay.com. I figured that was that - TP's own message said "no subscription", so "nothing to cancel" - easy enough, right?

Yeah, right! My monthly Sprint bill shows up and it's about 10 bucks and change higher than normal. I start looking through the charges and lo and behold, there's a Thumbplay charge for the 10 dollars. I will be having it out with TP, as well as Sprint. Either these charges get removed or I will start sending invoices to TP for services they didn't ask for and/or I didn't provide.

• Re
    realitycheck Feb 02, 2009

Playing devils advocate - But is it possible you did subscribe to their services. These folks are audited by each carrier and would be shut down real fast if they were shady - I think it's important for consumers to take some responsibility here - the "I don't recall" subscribing comments are hilarious - So, because you don't recall subscribing means you didn't? You probably don't remember what you ate for dinner 2 nights ago - but I'm sure you ate. You called them and they refunded you - consider it a very inexpensive lesson. Also, try their services again with eyes wide open and see if you have to opt in 2x not once and check the messaging you receive for price disclosures...I bet the farm they are there along with a TF# for assistance...

• Ry
    ryan Dec 14, 2008

### thumbplay and the creator

• Ry
    ryan Dec 14, 2008

thumbplay took my money after i created and canceled my account and i have prepaid can i please get my money back.please!

• 25
    25defense Oct 23, 2008

My case is similar to most here. I don't recall "agreeing" to a subscription, I only responded to a text before charges started showing up on my bill. It amazes me how cell providers are willing to add charges onto their bill on another companies behalf. It makes it appear as if the providers are making money off of these subscriptions. Why else would they agree to do the billing and collection for another company?

I urge everyone to forward a copy of their complaint to their state's attorney general and encourage more transparency in the billing process. Does the electric company agree to include cable charges on their bill simply because they have mail going out that day? If cell providers are going to include charges on their bill, they have the right to refund charges.

Let's take a stand!

• Ro
    Rodney Aug 18, 2008

I had unauthorized charges to my AT&T account for thumbplay. I never even used the service. I think there are some business ethics being violated through that service.

• Je
    Jennifer Aug 09, 2008

I went through thumbplay through a third party website... project play list. I tried to get a song to my phone. I subsribed and everything but could not use the song. Maybe its my phone. I contacted them immediately and said what had happened. They said that I was unsubscribed and they sent me the $9.99 refund check. I was out of the country July 5 but I happened to notice that August 5 I was a few dollars short on my phone. I have a Go phone. I told my husband who called the phone services and found that thumbplay was still taking $9.99 from my phone even after I cancelled, unsubscribed... whatever. We got a full refund for this month and a partial for July. They also put a block on the phone so no one without prior authoriation can take money off of it or buy anything of off the phone. You might want to contact your phone service provider and put a block on thumbplay and put a block on the phone to where no one can take the money thats on it. I also emailed them today threatening to contact whoever I had to to make them stop. It has to be illegal to keep stealing money off of a cell phone after a cancellation and you haven't used the services provided by the company or even if you used it once and was not satisfied, like my first time of using thumbplay.

• Jb
    JB74 Jul 21, 2008

Same thing happened to me. I was browsing with my smartphone Thumbplay.com and when I received my last cellphone bill (T-Mobile), I had a 9.99 premium service charge. I only pressed an OK button, I did not even typed my smartphone number (I'm assuming that T-Mobile gave them my number). Thumbplay did not notify me that I was subscribing to their services and that I was going to be charged $9.99.
    I called today to their customer service number [protected]), and after 10 minutes complaining about it, they offered me a refund check.

Also, my girlfriend had a similar experience. She put her phone number in Thumbplay website and receive a text message with a password, asking to use the password to confirm the subscription online. She did not do anything, but when she called today, her phone number was subscribed to Thumbplay.com service and she was going to be charged too. So she also asked to cancel the subscription.

The problem here is that this company is not giving you enough information about when you are going to be charge or not, and also, they don't wait for user confirmation in order to active a subscription and charge you $9.99 monthly. Only one click or typing a valid phone number is enough to charge you (or somebody else). I don't think this is right, legal.

• Ba
    Babsley Flake Jul 20, 2008

i didnt ask to be charged i was just looking at their ringtones, or i was trying, when all the sudden i was charged ten dollars, so i lost ten dollars on my pre paid verizon account and on top of that i didnt even get to download any songs. i want my phone credited back asap please.

• Sh
    Shelia Jul 12, 2008

About 1 month ago, I clicked on Thumbplay.com and without clicking on anything else, just went to the site, they took 9.99 off my cell. This morning, about a month later, they did the same, took another 9.99 off my cell. I have not ordered any tones, then or now. I did not give them permission! How do I stop them? I am afraid to go to another site, afraid will be double taking of my cell money.

• Cw
    C. Wood Mar 28, 2008

So what did u do about the charges from Thumbplay, Steven? And what was the result?