Thrive Instituteinternet scam

J

A representative from Thrive Institute talked my 81-year-old mother into charging $6350 for a web-based business opportunity. She receives income only from social security and certainly can not afford to spend this money. For health reasons she is not able to follow through on the "training" they claim to provide or to conduct a business online. I was out of town when this initially transpired. When I returned, I spent a whole Sunday afternoon on the internet investigating this business. What I found out caused me to call John Waddlesworth at Thrive to get my mother released from this contract. I have talked to him twice and he says a refund is not possible and that from his conversations with my mother, he feels she is able to handle the business and I was not being "ethical" to speak for her. He did promise to stop the $39.95 monthly website fee but I don't know if that will happen.
My mother's credit card company (Discover) is sending paperwork to us to fill out to try to get the money back, but I think Thrive has covered all its bases. I'm not even sure what the name of the company is. Thrive Institute? IDI? Focus? Thrive Learning? LVFG? Money Mastery? Every correspondence (email, phone, bank charge, USPS) uses a different name.
Incidentally, I found a report from the BBB in Utah giving an F rating to Thrive Learning LLC as part of LVFG, Inc.
We are next going to hire a lawyer to try to resolve this mess. I am angry that unscrupulous jerks can continue to use the internet to prey on those who are not able to fight back. From what I can tell from internet chatter this company has been getting away with this for a long time.
Has anybody been able to get a refund from this company?

• Jl
    JLK Jan 14, 2009

This company called me and new I was looking for a business online. My husband and I had the phone set for conference call so we both talked to these men.
    We were told that a very small group of 8 people are selected at a time. We told them that we didn't know much about the computer but they said no problem they would hold our hands and walk us through. We were very concerned about using our credit cards to pay for this as we are both in our 60's and we told them that. But the man said it will be ok you will start selling on Ebay and in a couple of weeks you will be making enough to pay you card payment. After all theis we were to get a website that they would help us build.
    Well its months later we are not making money on Ebay at this time and can't imagine when we will ever get to the website part. We are now out $15, 000 which by the way they said the higest amount would get us even greater help etc.
    If there are any groups getting together for a action lawsuit we want to be on it.

Sharon Jan 14, 2009

I am so happy that there is somone else out there who knows just how I feel right now, my husband and I joined Thrive Instutute almost 6 months ago we found that before they received our money they were so helpful and happy to oblige us, as soon as we payed with our credit card it was so difficult to speak to someone about our difficulties, we have made absolutely no money whatsoever with this company I email them and they take a week to get back to me, I have asked for my money back but to no avail this really depressed me to know that there are people out there who take advantage of people in this way, I wish there was something I could do to get our money back, we were promised that the company would make sure that we would make a heap of money, I am a stay at home mother who worked on this business venture day in and day out, I expressed my concerns by email and also left messages but they no longer care as they have already received our payment, I also asked them to send me the contract that they promised to send 6 months ago it is now the year 2009 and we have still not received no correspondence from them, I wish I knew what I knew now, I wish I had listened to my husband. If there is anyone else out there who are thinking of drawing up a law suit with this company I would be right by your side.

Sharon Jan 14, 2009

I totally agree with this complaint as my husband and I are going through the same situation right now, this company should not be able to get away with what they are doing, 15, 000 dollors is a lot of money in this day and age, these people were obviously serious in making money and being successful in life I wish others came forward like they did so that others would know how not to make the same mistake.

Sharon Jan 14, 2009

I totally agree with this complaint, 15, 000 dollors is a lot to lose in this day and age, I know just how they feel as my husband and I are going through the very same thing with the same company, I wish that others would come forward like them so that people would know just how The Thrive Institute is a true SCAM!

Sharon Jan 14, 2009

I totally agree with these people

Sharon Jan 14, 2009

I totally agree with this comment this couple made.

Joshua Jan 15, 2009

Since then, I have had a lot of problems with Thrive. For one, they never told there would be phases that I would go through in the program. They never sent me any outlines, and they take forever to answer the questions from my e-mails, sometimes a week. The times I have talked to the coaches, they are always busy with something else while they are talking to me, or they are very rude over the phone when the call goes past 15 minutes, like I am wasting their time. I have been ignored on the Thrive chat, and have been mislead many times over. I have called Joel Bish with the concerns, but he has never called me back. Before I signed up for the program, there was no problem getting hold of Joel, but now it is impossible. I also have a problem with calling themselves coaches. A coach is someone who strives to bring the best out of their students, for what they are asking the coach to lead them. It is very misleading to the students to believe that the personal down at Thrive are coaches. There has not been one time since I have been involved with the program where a so called coach pushed me, encourage me, or point me down the right path with my online business. I am about to enter the marketing phase of the program, and I am very discourage with where I am going with all of this. They have already tried to sell me a $2300 marketing package, and I have not even made any money.

Like most people on this site, I want to see about a class action law suit. But we need to know how we can come together and put something like this together. Please e-mail me anytime at [email protected] Thanks and take care.

Joshua Jan 15, 2009

I have been a student since October 2008. When I signed up for an e-bay account, I got a call from a gentleman name John at Auction Profits. He said we are interviewing some people for an opportunity to start an online business. After about a 10 minute interview, he said that I qualify and I will be receiving a call back from Joel Bish. To make a long story short, Joel called me for about a month, and left me about 15 messages. I final call him back, and he gave me an offer that sounded like a good deal. The offer was for me to pay $3100 up front, and Thrive would help me double that investment in about 6 months or they will continue to work with me until I double this investment. I went ahead and signed up for the program, and Joel sent me the written agreement for the above offer to me via e-mail. He said to call him anytime if I ever have any issues or problems.

• Op
    opm - mb Apr 09, 2009

I was also taken "Use opm - other peoples money" to the tune of 14900$ and months latter just credit card companys calling
    and my daughter saying "if its to good to be true it is". these people know how to do their con job...wheres a lawyer when you need one ...add my name

• Jh
    jhror Apr 12, 2009

I work in the same office building as these people. They rent space on the same floor and I hear them on the phone. Did they tell you when they called you that they were "from Google"? Honestly, they are really slick! I have often thought about calling the Consumer Safety Comm here in Utah but I would need someone that has actually given them money. The things that I hear them promise people are unbelievable, the money that they collect ("OPM" ) from people's credit cards is disgusting. They are not coaches they are crooks. These are 25-30 year old punks who drive super nice cars and scam people for a living. The sooner the authorities can shut them down the better.
    The sad thing is that the CEO has been doing this in California too, and when he feels the heat he just pulls up stake and moves to another state.
    Please email if you have been a victim and would like to pursue a formal complaint.

• Sc
    ScamHater Apr 17, 2009

I am going through problems with this company also. They allowed my wife to charge my card without my authorization, they were that money hungry that they didn't even make sure that an authorized user was available. We have filed a dispute with the BBB, and they responded once but never responded again. We all need to work together to get this lawsuit going so we all may get our money back and shut this company down. I will check into a class action lawsuit and see what they say and will let everyone know what needs to be done.

• De
    Dee May 01, 2009

Hi, I too am a victim of Thrive. I would like to know how these people get away with this. I am in this for a total of about $14, 000.00 and really would like to get my money back along with having these people pay for what they are doing to people's lives.

I am a stay at home mom with three kids under the age of 10 sooo it will be sometime before I can get out and work full time so I tried to help my husband out with the bills and now I have a $14, 000.00 bill to add to it.

I have tried to get my credit back from my charge card company who says I waited too long after the fact they dragged me around for three months. I have also gone to speak with a lawyer who feels there is nothing we CAN do to Thrive. THERE HAS GOT TO BE SOMETHING WE CAN DO AS A GROUP!!!

I'm in it with all of you... how can we get this lawsuit started???????

• Mr
    Mrspse Jun 23, 2009

I can't believe that The Summit Group had the nerve to send my account to Palomar Associates Collection Agency. I had ALL of the same experiences that are listed above and wish like crazy that I had GOOGLED this before I told them YES.
    Phyllis

• Kona Jul 05, 2009

Please message me to join me in stopping these people.

• Ha
    HAT775 Jul 10, 2009

I just talked to Bob Marsden and he was a total ### and sounded like he was desperate to sell me a used car. I told him to get fu&(ed and now I will not quit calling and harrassing them. What a misleading company. If I am out more than 2 bucks, Bob will be getting a visit.

• Ju
    Jules1967 Sep 09, 2009

I agree, Thrive Institute is a bunch of crap and I also am a victim of their scam!! I have $15, 200 into this and started back in February 2009 and to this very date I still have not website and have not sold one thing and have no recouped any of my money back as they guaranteed that I would...

I've spoke with an attorney and Thrive is not required to be registed with the State of Michigan where I live to sell their so called scam.

Let me know if anyone else out there has any thoughts?????

Julie :)

CheeseBabe Oct 08, 2009

I signed up with Thrive through an online marketing company on October 1, 2009, then researched them (like I should have to begin with). I saw that Thrive had complaints against them with the BBB in Utah. I then called Thrive to cancel my account as it was within 3 business days. Thrive told me to call Ray Ellis, my rep, with the Internet Sales Institute (ISI). I left a VM with the rep and the next day Paul Castillo called me from the cancellation department and left me VM. I have a call into him and will find out the scoop. I hope I can get my money back.

Ray Ellis didn't mention any cancellation policy, so I hope this business is not exempt from the 3 business day cancellation.

I Googled Internet Sales Institute for more info, but found nothing. Ray Ellis from the ISI said they were a BBB company. At this point I don't know if the 2 companies are owned by the same group. If they are, then Ray lied about them being a BBB company. Thrive is not a member of the BBB in Utah.

Stay tuned for more info. If anyone wants to file a class action suite, I am willing to check it out with them. I noticed another party had mentioned this previously.

Carol

• Mi
    Mislead??? Nov 15, 2009

I too was scamed by thrive and a sales floor. I knew it sounded to good to be true!!!

• Dr
    Drageeda Jun 05, 2010

Glad I only spent the initial $49.00 for the info. Told the institute no thanks wasn't ready or able to make that large investment they wanted me to do on my credit card.

• Sc
    Scammed Oct 04, 2010

My husband and I we also scammed by this company and we are still paying it back

• In
    internetsalesinstitute Dec 10, 2010

In reference to the complaint. Internet Sales Institute stands behind its services. We offered this client over 50 percent of her money back. The client made the decision to move forward on her own merit. We will go to any extent to make our clients happy. We provide one one help on a number of different levels. Our coaching sessions are at least 30 minutes long. Clients also have unlimited help from 8:00 am mst-8pm mst to get help via phone, e-mail and live chat. The problem when people start any new venture is they expect immediate results. At Internet Sales Institute we gaurantee to work with every client until they recover their full initial investment. There are no such things as get rich quick schemes. Sometimes when clients sign up and realize they do have to put time and effort in they start to second guess their decision. We communicate to all students that it does take time and effort to build a business. We work diligently with every client to accomplish their goals and lay a solid foundation for their online ventures. There will be frustration at times but giving up on a program within one week, no one would ever succeed. Growing pains happen for all new start up businesses. We do business with people all over the world by phone. We stand behind our gaurantee and all services we provide to clients. We are ready and willing to address any concerns that any past, present or future clients may have! WE STAND BEHIND OUR GUARANTEE!