Resolved Thrash Aviation INCShoppers Sweepstakes

NOTHING LIKE A GOOD SCAM

Shoppers Sweepstakes
Shoppers Sweepstakes

Jack Mar 06, 2009

Hey, I got the same letter. I agree, it's a scam for those poeple who don't reply to the Nigerian e-mail.

Same claim number and everything. What a coincidence..LOL

• Be
    Bewildered Mar 07, 2009

Say I'm naive, but how do you know for sure its a scam. Is there proof? Have you read somewhere there is?

Bewildered

• Di
    DIANNE1 Mar 07, 2009

Sioux Falls SD, , I got the same letter today..Ck # 19611 Dated 3-3-09 $4993.00 It's a wounderful world we live in today.Don' get hooked bye these people and report them to the Iocal and Federal authorities.I work for Fedex and I see this thing all the time. They will want the $ 2995.00 or what ever the amount will be, before the let you cash the front check .By the time you figure out the check is no good they took your money and run. TO GOOD TO BE TRUE...DON'T BE THERE NEXT SUCKER...

• Ca
    Cathy8 Mar 09, 2009

I received a letter & check today, dated 3/05/09 for $4, 993.00. Was really hoping it was legit.
    Stamp on the envelope was Canadian, no return address, Wells Fargo check out of Ohio, and Thrash address from Seattle...Scam, Scam, scam!

Not getting scammed today! Mar 10, 2009

Hey Guys, I too received the same letter above with same date. I took it upon myself to go the extra mile and report them to the Better Business Bureau in Canada. www.bbbmwo.ca or call 1-519-579-3080. I did explain to them the situation and even contacted the so called Linda Armstrong. She did tell me monotonely to go to the bank, cash check and call her after that to give me more info. I asked what the check was for and she said it was to pay taxes on my winnings. I asked her what winnings and she got fustrated and asked me WHY I WAS CALLING! I replied that I was calling regarding the letter and she said that it's all in the letter, it's self explanatory. I told her- a little upset- that she was naive to think that people would actually for it and that It's obvious it's a scam. That I would let the Better Business Bureau and CNN know what is going on and they they would get on to her. That all the info of the scam was on Google and they were on to her already. Her voice cracked, she called me and 'Idiot' and hung up.. I called her several times after and it goes straight to voice mail. So Bewildered, if that is not enough proof to you that IT IS A SCAM, I don't know what else will make you open your eyes; just hope you didn't deposit check! Anyway I did report her to the BBB in Canada and hope you guys do too, the more complaints they get, the faster her ### will go to jail.

• Ba
    banong Mar 11, 2009

How this thing work. What happen if i deposited this check in new account? or bring it to Wells Fargo to see if authenticated?

joseph Mar 11, 2009

I just got the same crap from tampa florida i open a seperated acct to see if it cashes ill let you know its on hold at the bank for ten day joe cosimano

• Ro
    Ron Mar 11, 2009

I had one of these when I went home from work for the weekend. It will be interesting to see if the check clears at all or if it bounces. My letter has the same conf. no. as the example posted by the first complaint so it likely is sooo fraudulent. I will watch to see results of Joseph from Florida and his deposit. Ron from Missouri

joseph Mar 11, 2009

Ron,

When i called the lady sound like an irainan ### i told her yr full of ### and someone like you should be hung you people need to be blown off the face of the earth with sadam thats how piss i am joe c

• Yv
    Yve"s Mar 12, 2009

What the heck is the purpose of this evil person?! Do not put check in the bank or else you will be charge for bouncing checks. So BEWARE!!!

• Va
    Vance Worix Mar 12, 2009

I GOT THE SAME CHECK YESTERDAY AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO AS OF RIGTH NOW. BUT IF IT A SCAM, BE CAREFUL . BUT IF NOT YOU WILL BLOW A LOT OF MONEY .

chele Mar 12, 2009

Hey, I got it to. Are we the 20 people they claimed won? hehehehe. I went to http://www.phonenumber.com/reversephone to do a reverse search on the phone number, it belongs to a cell phone. I don't think many legit businesses give cell phone numbers.

I looked it up because a few months back I was sent an email about certain area codes that could be dialed that will actually charge you thousands, just for dialing the number. This did not appear to be one of those. It is actually a cell phone registered in Ontario.

nof Mar 12, 2009

I guess she's changed her bank and information, mine is all the same details of amounth and the check for 4993.00 but from Bank of America. She started name dropping JCPenny, Home Depot and so on. I had my friend call with claim number and use a different name and she didn't question it which means she's not checking anything. Also, it was sent to my mom whose been out of the country for the last year, and she said it's because the person shoped at one of those stores. Oh well. i guess i'll just have to earn my money the old fashion way.

• Ka
    kat Mar 12, 2009

I just received the same lettter and check today. I live in San Diego. The check said it was from a Bank of America in Modesto, Ca. I got to tell you they really had me for about 30 seconds until I read the whole letter and saw they wanted "me" to send "them" money. Do they really think people are that stupid? I called the postal service and reported them for mail fraud and reported them to the BBB. Part of me really wanted to call the number just to f*ck with them and tell them thanks for the cash, I just came from the bank and got it all in hundies ha ha ha. But I'm afraid I might get charged $2, 000 for the phone call. Don't fall for it people.

• St
    Steve Mar 13, 2009

Yes I just got a check in Detroit also and called the monotone Ms. Armstrong and got the same speech about shopping for the holidays Sears, JCPenny's, etc... What a scam...The economy is down, people are out of work and these vultures just try and feast on us...Don't fall for it because it looks like alot more than twenty people got this "winning Letter"...

• Ba
    Barbara Moore Mar 13, 2009

I just recieved the same check, I am in Washington DC, I called the number and from the conversation with Linda Armstrong, sound like she was sleep lol. I knew it was a scam. Will not get me. I will be reporting her to better business also. Do not believe the hype.

Joan Mar 13, 2009

Wow I jsut recieved the same letter today in the mail and I was shocked at first!!! I thought that this check must be too good to be true, till I read the letter and I have been through this before and thankful that I haven't fallen for this type of scam. What worries me is that there are others out there that will fall for the scam and send thier hard earned money thinking that they will be recieve some sort of windfall specially in this ecomony. I tried to report it to our local police station and it was recommeded that I call the Attorney General of our state, which I will do. I tried calling the number on the letter to speak with Ms. Linda Armstrong, but was put on hold for a period of time. I am definately going to spread the word to family and friends not to get caught up in this scam... BEWARE!!!

• Gw
    Gwinovere Mar 13, 2009

St. Louis here. We got one too. Same info as above, but drawn on a STL area bank with a different name. The date on our check is 3/11 and is drawn on the account of Thrash Aviation, Inc. Amount is the same, $4993. Our letter is signed by Mary Greene, with a phone number for Linda Armstrong. I wonder how much these idiots spent on postage??? Surely too much to even break even, considering that there can't be THAT many idiots in the world. Can there????
    Gwinovere, St. Louis

sam Mar 14, 2009

hi everyone i got the same check in the mail today dated 03/11/09 in the amount of $ 4, 993.00 sound too good to be ture right, so i called the number was with a letter and set of instruction to what to do when i got the check so i dialed not very suprized no answer . the name on the letter is signed by the mary green the promotion manager so everone dont get suckered this is a scam the name on the letter will changed on every letter. be aware thanks.

• Vn
    vnl Mar 14, 2009

Thrash Aviation‎ Inc. exists but has diff addess -707 Highway 481, Pelahatchie, MS‎
    Union Planters Bank exists, but has diff addess -Coral Gables, Florida
    All info on the chech for not existing bank and company.
    After you deposit fraud check (you will know this in several days) you have to call them back and they will ask you to send them ~3K.

• Al
    ALSKITTYKATT Mar 15, 2009

WE GOT THE SAME CHECK TODAY I WITH AN ACCOUNT FROM WELLS FARGO BANK I CALLED THE BANK TO VERIFY THE ACCOUNT # NOT AN ACTIVE ACCOUNT I CANT SAY SCAM LOUD ENOUGH FOR ALL OF YOU THIS IS A SCAM DONT FALL FOR IT IT WILL COST YOU ALOT OF HARD EARNED MONEY

HOPE THIS IS NOT A SCAM. TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. LINDA

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

linda Mar 16, 2009

I called bank of america and the woman said if you deposit that check and send thrash aviation any money, for so called taxes you will end up paying the bank back.if you owe taxes you pay I.R.S. not them.also I.R.S. takes personnel checks.They dont ask you to send it by money gram or western union.It really is a scam.TO JOE PLEASE GO CLOSE OUT THAT ACCOUNT AND DON'T SEND ANYONE ANY MONEY.I also called the attorney generals office and they said it was a scam.S if any of you dont want to pay the bank back for all that money, please shread those checks. thanks Linda

Mary - Massachusetts Mar 16, 2009

Mary - Massachusetts

THIS IS A TOTAL SCAM! DON'T FALL FOR IT!
    Hello everyone! Got the same letter with check # 19722, dated 3/3/09 in the amount of $4993 from Community Bank in Brandon, Mississippi. I couldn't recall entering a drawing for anything and the letter indicated they made "several unsuccessful attempts to contact you..." and this was the first I have heard from them. I called the number on the lettter 905-598-4736 and inquired on this and spoke with Linda Armstrong (who did sound like she hated being "Linda Armstrong") and she told me that my name was pulled from a shoppers database from either Sears, JC Penney, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Marshalls, etc. and she provided me with instructions to deposit the check and to call back when I do for further instructions. I think they just want to get your bank information (routing #, etc). I must agree with the comment about today's economy and jobless people such as myself, the check certainly could be tempting...DON'T FALL FOR IT! I too am going to call the BBB and Attorney Generals Office.

BTW, by the postage there was a stamp that read "Fraud - Prevent It!" in both English and French. Too funny.

Thanks everyone!

• Ve
    veralu Mar 17, 2009

Well one day i got a letter in the mail stating that i won 250, 000 dollars and i got a check for 4, 993 and in the letter Ms.Linda Armstrong stated that i should cash the check and then call her right when i do it. So i called her and asked her where to send the money and she told me to send it to some Myles dude so i go to the bank and cash the check and i didn't call her back because i knew this was a scam so i waited a few days to see if the check would bounce and it did so i called her and told her that i reported her to the FBI and she told me that i was stupid and that i should go back to school.

-Vera Lu

• Ra
    randae Mar 18, 2009

I got same letter dated 3/10. this is all a scam. Those
    two need to be locked up. Linda Armstrong and Mary Greene. Check from Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
    Van Wert, Ohio

• Ra
    randae Mar 18, 2009

I received letter dated 3/10. Those two need to be locked up along with their parnters. Check was drawn
    on a Wells Fargo bank in Van Wert, Ohio

• Mg
    M. Grimm Mar 18, 2009

Hi guys,
    I got the same check dated 3/11/09 and letter signed by Mary Greene, however, my letter says to call before you attempt to use the check. and I would be advised to contact claim agent for further clarification. My question is how are they getting our name and address. This does not please me at all and I will turn this over to the Attorney General for them to handle.

TG, florida

• Pe
    pete Mar 18, 2009

got one in olmpia wa.thrash was out of seattle, comunity bank in brandon mississippi. 411 took quick care of the aviation (nothing listed). bank lady assured the fraud and said one was sent to a teller there!

• St
    Stabilo Mar 19, 2009

ok i just got a pretty similar check today dated 3/9/2009 for $4980 from Bryan Bank and trust in richmond hill, Ga, the company that supposedly sent the letter is stated at the top of the as "WATER HOUSE SECURITIES INC." in Ontario. Legit bank, legit looking check to pay $2995 in taxes for my $250, 000 winnings. The letter gives me a claim number and phone number 905-598-0903 to call "Bob Morris" . Ok my question is what happens if i cash this check at a check cashing place and dont give up any information? I guess if its fraud ill get a call back and have to give them the money back? or do i get to keep the cash and the check cashing place has to deal with the said bank and company which sent it to me?

linda Mar 20, 2009

Stabilo, please dont cash that check or deposit it.You will be responcible for paying back the money out of your pocket. IT IS A SCAM. ITS MONEY LAUNDRYING .SAME PEOPLE DIFFERENT NAMES. L INDA

• Zo
    Zombiwoof Mar 21, 2009

winovere: Take a look around this site - 98% of the people here are ### clueless losers who fall for every scam there is.

The other 2% of us laugh at them.

joe cosimano Mar 29, 2009

Remeber if it sound to good to be true, it isnt what it is.

• Wh
    WHAT AM I A FOOL Mar 30, 2009

OK i got a check today for 4.3393.00 i did get excited.but i also knew i didn't enter any drawing.so i call Linda Armstrong she ask me my claim # and i gave it to her . i could barely here her she was talking so low and fast she sounded like she was outside.when i ask her to slow down she told me to just sign it and call back this # for the instructions. first of all i don't no who the f**k she was talking to like that ? so my question is if you take it to the bank it was drawn on and they give you the money, who's fault would that be.because i took it to the bank to see if it was real and they said it is .now don't get me wrong i didn't cash it or open account but if the bank is willing to give you the money i say take it .I'm talking about the bank it's drawn on.out slick the slicker.were did they get the checks from!!!TO GOOD TO BE TRUE

• Ka
    Karen Calabrese Mar 31, 2009

Hey I received my check today 3/31/09 day before April fools! My check is from a Community Bank in Brandon Mississippi # 21580.

Went right to google and did my search what a help to confirm its a scam. I'm from NJ do yourself a favor and shred the ###.

John Apr 01, 2009

I contacted the bank on my check. In this case it was a Community Bank from Brandon MS. They indicated that it was fraudulent.

• Da
    David Apr 28, 2009

Hi, folks, I'm an attorney in Monterey, California. Same deal. Canadian stamp on envelope with no return address. (Pretty bizarre for an envelope containing a check, since the usual practice is to send checks with partly-glassine envelopes showing the check, so that the addressee doesn't throw it away as junk mail. In fact, semi-scams whose envelopes contain authentic-looking checks go out of their way to make it look like they'r sending you a check.)

Here, the check is drawn on very real bank (Community Bank, Brandon, Mississippi, on mine) supposedly on the account of Thrash Aviation, Inc., supposedly of P.O. Box 514, Morton, Mississippi 39117. (In fact, they exist but have different address, different city, in Mississippi.) Letter is supposedly from Thrash Aviation "Claims Department" in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada L3Y 8Z1, Tel: 416-833-6337. By the way, 416 is a very real, very old (1947) Toronto (Ontario) area code. (NOTE: All area codes with middle digit zero or 1 are old, as in 202 [Washington, D.C.], 212 [NYC], 213 [LA], 415 [San Francisco].) Called it, got a message, "Sorry, there's no more room to record new messages." Sounds like a cell phone voice mail with limited message storage. Amount of my "check" ("cheque"?) was $4993.00 but taxes are $2995.00. Guess I get to keep the difference! Whoop-de-Dooo!.

Seriously, all the letters may well be postmarked from the same place. My letter's postmark lists a Canadian Postal Code of : M4L 3T0 followed by "047". That's M4L 3T[zero], then [zero]47. My Internet research shows this to be a Toronto metro area postal code. Other folks' research shows the phone numbers to be Toronto area cell phones. It would appear that these Canadian con artists (the stamp and postmark is real proof they're Canadian) draw up very real looking supposed checks drawn on real banks in real cities in the U.S., on supposed accounts of very real entities in that state, which entities probably have nothing to do with the scam. I suspect they buy up prepaid cell phones for cash on the Toronto area, perhaps also refresh the minutes with cash-prepaid debit/cash cards, and mail out thie phony checks (or is it "cheques") from there.

What is also interesting is that the letters are not quite grammatically correct. Almost perfect, but not quite. ("" ... enclosed is the check ... which has been deducted from your winning, " when the latter word should be "winnings." Same error in a subsequent sentence. Writer of letter is likely not a native English speaker, but very close.

Probably the RCMP will hunt down these criminals, but, in the best Euro-Surrender-Weenie tradition, prosecute them only for failing to translate the letters into French!

Note the very Anglo, very common names of supposed signatories: Mary Greene, Linda Armstrong. Porqoi rien de noms en Francaise? Francoise? Giselle? Jean? Guillaume?

• Sh
    shavon Apr 28, 2009

Okay so today April 27, 2009 my stepdad recieved a letter in the mail similar to everyone's except NOW it's through Sun Life Financial, Inc. phone number is 1-416-822-9196 and the address is 200 1st street Newmarket, Ontario l3y 8z1 Claim Number WN/UL-0009, it does state the check is for 4, 993.00 and he would have to send them 2995.00 of it. When I called to ask the lady Nicky Anderson and Chris Kennedy is the Promotion Manager, she basically wouldn't say anything and when I asked her if this was legit or not so I could let my stepdad know she hung up on me so I plan on harrassing her tomorrow and finding out what needs to be done to report them and allow Sun Life Financial, Inc know that their name is involved in a BIG SCAM, considering the company is a Life Insurance Company for families. It says the final check lump sum is 245, 002.00 and it will be sent Fed Ex. We live in San Jose, California and it is from a community bank from brandon, mississippi. I am definately going to go further in the investigation of this whole situation and hope that people have the common sense to review whether or not this is a scam. Good Luck to future winners(LOL)!!!

• Do
    Don Apr 28, 2009

My name is Don from Pennsylvania. I received the same letter in the
    mail, the same check for the same amount as the rest of you, $4, 993.00 in the mail yesterday. I know its a scam but I am tempted to deposit it in the bank to see if it clears. lol. The check came from Community Bank, Brandon, Mississippi. These people must think that there are alot if idiots out there. The sad part is there are some that will fall for it. My wife also seen something about this on the news. BEWARE