The Rush FitnessDishonest Sales Practices

Do NOT join the Rush. I stopped by the other day, only to inquire about their prices. All I wanted was a brochure, not too much to ask right? WRONG! The girl told me I had to speak to a manager...really? I had to fill out this visitor form and this guy who looked like he was on steroids came to get me. I told him I only wanted to know the cost, but he insists on giving me a tour. After the tour, he sits me down and asks me what I thought. I said, "it's a gym". He didn't like my cold, not easily impresses demeanor, so the other "manager" was called over. He tells me the prices and all of the "perks" that come with joining the Rush. The enrollment fee is $149, and the "best" plan for me would be the $29 contract. Mind you, the contract is for 2 years. He goes, "so you ready to sign up?" I tell him I did not set out to join today, I was only shopping around for prices. That was the WRONG thing to say. They ask me where I work, then all of a sudden they have a compny discount. "Well how about it we make this $149, $99?" Again, no. Now the manager tries to throw in 3 sessions with a personal trainer. They can give me a "discount" on my enrollment fee. Its only $292 with everything! Oh yea, thanks for the deal. "Are you ready to do this?" NO, I am just shopping around. They bring in a THIRD person, a woman who can set me up with a personal trainer. NO, NO, and NO. "Will you do it if we make this $149 go away?" No, I am not looking to spend anything today. I ask if I could get a copy of all of the prices and discounts they wrote down - "Sure, but what is the hold up, what can I do to make you get it today?" What the hell! "Nothing, at all", I responded. Tired of my resistance, the manager thanks me and excuses himself (not politely, I may add). The lady then insists on giving me a free trial with a trainer and schedules me an appointment. I told her that was okay, but she did it anyway. After they got a card in my hand, after all of that pressure, they do "Thanks" and walk away. Let me tell you, I have NEVER been in such a high sales pressure situation in my life, and I bought a car from a used car lot! Don't get sucked in, this place is BAD NEWS!!

• Co
    commonman1990 Mar 02, 2010

I had a very similar experience. I went with my girlfriend (who is a member) to ask about the 2 week trail membership the clerk said okay, fill out this form (which turned out to be an enrollment form) and this roid-head came out took me to his desk and started throwing prices at me. I told him i wanted the 2 week trial so i could make sure i wanted to join. He looked at me and said "free trial? we don't do that."
    I told him i know several people who have done the trail before joining and two people who work there that have gave them out. He simply said "uhh...no we don't do that" Then he said, "I'll cut you some slack, for $15 dollars i will let you try it out today". $15 is the standard guest fee... got a good deal there.
    Overall: They have very rude and pushy employees and they lie about there marketing.

• Dl
    DLM1 Mar 31, 2010

Don't join this gym!!! I went in one day, in 2007, just shopping for prices. Stupidly, I signed up for a three year contract, falling for their sleazy salesman techniques. I also got personal training sessions (another big mistake). One day my trainer tells me he was previously incarcerated for six years for a drug crime. This is unprofessional and not something you discuss with a client. And I was shocked that the company would hire someone like that. Anyway, he was often late and then one day he didn't show up. I asked about him and they said he didn't work there anymore and that they would assign me someone else. I asked if I could just be reimbursed for the remaining sessions (there were like six left out of twenty) because if I was reassigned to another trainer, then I would have to get used to someone else, but they said no because of the contract terms. I understand contracts and honoring them, but I also believe in honest business practices and taking care of your customers. From their actions, I could tell they had no interest in me, just my money. Already in the first six months I regretted doing business with these people.

Fast forward to now, 2010, and I am fighting with them to end my contract agreement relating to my 3yr membership. Knowing my membership would go month-to-month unless I wrote a notice, I wrote a notice stating I did not want to go month-to-month in December 2009. I went to the gym and they said my terms ended in March. I check my contract and it says my obligation ended in December 2009. I fax them the contract and they say ok, well you are still month to month because I did not send the notice 15 days before the contract ending date.

The worst business experience I have ever encountered.

Do not do business with the Rush Fitness Complex.

• Ge
    GeorgiaClark May 09, 2010

For two years that I've been a member of this gym, I've got no bad experiences so far. From contract signing, every was clear and transparent. My friends also had their 14 day free trial membership a year ago. Fortunately, they enjoyed their time at The Rush that they enrolled.

We swear by the kind of service that they give us. The staff were accommodating and the fitness coaches are superb. They really keep track of our progress and what we're doing. The Rush is really worth a try and worth every penny I've paid them.

• The Rush Member Experience Team Jun 27, 2010

"We're sorry you've had a bad experience with The Rush. We do everything we
    can to treat our customers respectfully. We feel badly that you feel that we
    didn't address your needs, but we want to make it right. If you would be
    willing to call our Member Experience Dept at this special number, 800-324-
    3279 we will do everything in our power to resolve your issues and win back
    your confidence."

• Fr
    From the Inside89 Aug 06, 2010

HAHAHA! I actually worked for the Rush. I'm not laughing at you, I'm agreeing on everything you said. I actually thought it was quite comical that you came out with those responses. Someone needs to tell them. They are trying to meet a high quota every month, I've seen dirty deals, con-men, and all sorts of bad stuff come through there. I was there for 3 years as a personal trainer. Even the personal trainers are in a high sales position. We were there to do our job, and we would be pressured to get our clients to resign with plenty of sessions left, and we were told to "ask them for a favor". That place is not about people! While I do know there are a few great employees there, but most of them aren't in a sales position. They are there to take your money, that's all they are concerned about. I left because it got to be an informal sales jerk around, and my clients were not happy with them calling them and asking how many sessions they had left and if they had planned on purchasing anymore. Make an informed decision for yourself, but BE VERY CAREFUL WITH WHO YOU DEAL WITH AND IF YOU DO SIGN UP... KEEP YOUR CONTRACT (there are hidden fees on the contract they won't tell you about). FYI- You have a 3 day cancel from when you sign up. :) Here's from the inside scoop. Hope this helps.

• Bs
    bstanky Oct 20, 2010

I just found out that I have to pay a $29 fee every October per the initials I signed on my hidden fee contract.
    They never told me about it but since I signed i have to pay this fee that helps with updating the gym. The virtual tour at our Rush isn't even correct. It shows stuff we don't even have. And who has tanning beds? not this gym that I know of. Oh and every time I go the same machines don't work, so what is the 29 fee for. painting? new furniture in front where no one even sits? How about making sure the heart monitors work on the equipment, add more classes so we are not squished in a class with too many people, extend day care hours so that if you add a later class or saturday class you can leave your child there. I have to wait for child care service and then don't get to go to a class. Obviously moms are going to want to attend the classes. I was told to come 45 minutes before the class to get in, then I only have a half hour to attend the class because they changed the time to 1 1/2 hours. I also approached them about the buy one membership get 2 free. Well if you want it, it is an additional 19.oo So really you are paying for 2 memberships and getting one free. Just another way of being misleading. Oh and don't bother calling the 1800 number, they say sorry, but you signed the contract so you have to pay. i am very disappointed in The Rush.

• Ga
    Gargamel Nov 14, 2010

After being told specifically that I could cancel my account for a cancelation fee, for no other reason than I wanted too, I recently found out about the 50 mile radius stipulation. The rush is staffed by high energy liars. I know they will probably get their money out of me, but I will definitely warn everyone away from this nest of [censor].

• Sk
    skinner05261 Jan 08, 2011

I joined the rush yesterday and was very pressured as well!!! They were advertising no monthly fees and no enrollment feed, but I got charged for them anyways!!! virginia

• Us
    USED ABUSED AND TAKEN Feb 16, 2011

I DO NOT RECOMMEND SIGNING WITH THE RUSH. THEY DO NOT DELIVER THE SERVICE YOU WOULD ANTICIPATE. IT IS ALL SALES DRIVEN. YOU ARE JUST ANOTHER $$ ON THE TOTE BOARD. PERSONAL ASSURANCES ARE JUST HOT AIR AND ARE NOT RESPECTED. MANAGERS COME AND GO LIKE THE WIND. SO YOU MAY BE SIGNING UP BECAUSE YOU LIKE THE MANAGERS PERSONALITY AND FEEL THAT THEY HAVE THE ENERGY THAT YOUR WANT AT THAT FACILITY. HOWEVER THEY WILL BE GONE IN 3 - 4 MONTHS. NOW LETS ADDRESS PERSONAL TRAINERS, WHEN YOU SIGN A PACKAGE WITH A SPECIFIC PERSONAL TRAINER YOU ARE LEAD TO BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE WORKING WITH JUST THAT PERSONAL TRAINER. HOWEVER, IF THAT TRAINER LEAVES YOU ARE S.O.L. YOU CANNOT GET A REFUND ON YOUR UNUSED PAID SESSIONS AND YOU HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN WITH ANOTHER TRAINER THAT YOU MAY NOT LIKE. BOTTOM LINE UNLESS YOU ARE LOOKING TO HOOK UP WITH A GROUP TO WORK OUT YOU ARE BETTER OFF GOING TO CHANNEL 64 AND USING THE FIT CHANNEL, BUYING A WII AND HAVING YOU FRIENDS COME OVER, OR GETTING A WORKOUT VIDEO. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO ON A CRUISE. USED AND ABUSED AND TAKEN.

• Cl
    Clairbear May 14, 2011

I went to their Winston-Salem gym when I heard they are giving free trials. They gave me a tour and I noticed the equipments are better and cleaner than the other gyms I went to. I wasn't pressured and they were polite when I said I'm going to compare prices with the other gyms first. After a month, I sign up as it was the best deal for me. So far, I have no problems with Rush.

• La
    Lana Prestridge Aug 31, 2011

Do not join RUSH fitness. The sales staff will tell you anything to get your cash and a signature. They will tell you that they will refund your un-used personal training sessions at any time if you change your mind. NOT TRUE.
    I was re-located last March 2011 to a locale 2 hours from a Rush. I called them and stopped my bank draw. The club was so crowded and childcare never available anyway. I dropped off proof which they later denied getting. Then I mailed letters to the corporate office. Now I get collection calls, asking for $50.00+, when they owe me hundreds for unused personal training .( "that's seperate and we can't give you your money until you pay us more") They say I have to pay 2 months of dues because they didn't get my relo info soon enough and then they will give me a refund, but REFUSE to put this in writing or attach a time frame. Its now September and I was re-located last March and I have yet to see a dime. I argue about how illogical this is and they call constantly and hang up the phone the moment I attempt a dialogue. They are arrogant beyond belief, there is a prevailing attitude of "we can treat you however we want" among all the corporate staff. I was even told that "management will not deal directly will refund issues no matter who you ask for." Basically, this company has NO ETHICS.

• Kn
    Knoxville Sep 06, 2012

I recently received a call from a collection agency! I am at fault for not reading my agreement! I believed the salesman that told me that the only thing that could happen to me was that I would not be able to get another Rush membership. After being burned by another fitness center, I should have known better. The salesman was an artist who knew all the lies to tell me. The contract is straight forward.. READ YOUR CONTRACT! Do not believe anything the salesperson tells you! When you ask about credit and collections, do not fall for the..."We don't even ask for your SSN line!" The club I went to was well staffed and all the equipment was operable, I just think that their sales staff should be recorded and held accountable for what they promise and offer!!

• To
    tobias7873 Dec 04, 2012

Went to a Rush complex in Maryville TN today to ask about membership rates. I still dont understand what just happened. He went from the $99 dollar enrollment fee to a $49 dollar fee if I enroll by Thursday. Already turned off, if he can reduce a fee by that much by some arbitrary day he set... Then my membership would be $39 dollars a month for 12 months, with an additional $3 a month to cover the $29 annual maintenance cost. He also said something about first months dues amount being added to the first and last month of the account? Not sure if this meant I would have to pay an additional $39 for the first month (and last), in addition to the joining fee and first month dues??
    Anyway, I will probably not go back. If they cant explain and work with a potential customer any better than that, I will go to the Y.