The Pep Boys / negligence/ brakes

Hello, I recently posted a bad review on Google and was responded to with this email address. Poor experience? What was done was potentially lethal to myself and others! I want us to get off on the right foot. I'm not angry with you. I however am very upset at how I could have been potentially killed and killed others because of the blatant negligence of your company. Also, I need you to understand that there is no possible way I'm taking my car back to that location to be fixed because I have no faith in their abilities to not get me killed. I have pictures and video to prove all of my claims. I believe I can also provide an affidavit from the shop that custom built the rear brake kit for me in regards to the incompetence of PepBoys. I also noticed damage to the paint on my hood. it's not that big of a deal because the car has not had its final paint job yet but at this point I've about had it. This isn't going away.
I'm not even sure where to begin with this. I brought my 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger in to have the brakes converted over from drums to disks. I asked a lot of questions regarding if this was within the scope of work they could do. I was reassured several times that it was and they did this kind of thing all the time. I believe I dropped the car off on a Wednesday and I was told work would begin that following weekend and it would be one or two weeks tops. After the first weekend with no update, I called to check on the status of the project. I was told by one of the mechanics that worked in the shop not to worry because my car was "out of the way" and wasn't interfering with the other operations. That should have been my first red flag. After the next week had passed, I called again to check on the status of my car. I was told it was being worked on. I never received a phone call from them, I always had to call myself to find out what was going on. Another red flag. This went on for about a month until I finally did receive a phone call informing me that the kit I had purchased to upgrade the rear brakes was not the one I needed. Considering it took them a month to even discover that they didn't have the correct parts should have been another red flag. After getting the kit that I needed and going through hell trying to find rims for it and discovering myself that I needed to change axles, (I did ALL of the legwork for this) my car was completed 11 weeks later. I knew something was wrong when I picked it up but I didn't realize the extent of how bad it was. The brake master cylinder had 2 bolts holding it on, the other bolts had no washers on them so the nuts went right through the mounting brackets and stopped at the firewall, there is a vacuum line running over the top of the air cleaner and going through ignition wires, the brakes feel like stepping on a sponge and almost have no function. Here is the worst of it, the bolt that connects the brake pedal to the brake master cylinder didn't have a nut on it! I discovered this when I was looking at the brake light switch that I was told was out. (there is nothing wrong with that switch, the brake pedal no longer makes contact with it do to something they did wrong) I pushed that bolt out with my finger. Had I been driving the car and that bolt had vibrated out, the brake pedal would have dropped to the floor and I would have had no brakes! I thank God that didn't happen. That is how you kill someone! I refuse to take the car back to them to fix it after that. I'm taking it to another mechanic to tear it all back out and do it right.

Adam Angeloff
[protected]@gmail.com
[protected] (if I don't answer, leave a message and I will call you back. Sometimes my phone is tied up)

Ad
Jul 19, 2019

Comments

•   Jul 19, 2019

How many red flags do you need before you figure out that you are being taken for a ride, buddy?

Good lord. I think you being allowed to drive is a lethal situation given how damn dense you are showing yourself to be. Vroom, vroom you freaking idiot.

Hope that helps!