The Helman Group, Ltd.defective product

In August 2008, I received the Old Fashioned Movie Time Popcorn Maker Model #OFP-501 as a birthday gift. On the third use, the machine made a loud noise and stopped working. I obtained the receipt and e-mailed The Helman Group/Nostalgia on September 9, 2008. I asked them if the product should be returned to the store. I received a response on September 10, 2008 advising me that the product was still under warranty and that I needed to complete an online form. I completed the form on September 20. On September 24, I was advised to provide proof of purchase and ship the product back to Nostalgia. Once the product was received, they would send a replacement. With some delay, I shipped the defective product to Nostalgia on November 13, 2008.

I received no response or follow-up from Helman/Nostalgia whatsoever. On December 10, 2008, I sent an e-mail to confirm the product had been received (I had delivery confirmation on my end.) I received no response. I sent a second e-mail on December 28, 2008. Again, I received no response. I sent a third e-mail on January 15, 2009, threatening to file a complaint with the BBB. Again, I received no response. On January 30, 2009, I finally tracked down a phone number for Helman/Nostalgia. I left a message.

I received a call back from "Roberta, " who advised me that their had been a "corporate transition" and it was likely my e-mails had been "lost." With Roberta's help, I finally received a replacement product on February 14, 2009 - a full three months from when I had returned the product.

Now, my issue is that I am fighting them to refund the shipping charges ($20.80.) I could have just purchased a new popcorn maker for as much as it cost me to ship the thing back to them. After several additional e-mails to Roberta, I received a response (likely from a supervisor) advising me that my warranty letter says I am responsible for the shipping charges. The letter does say "shipping prepaid, " but I am going to continue to dispute with the company.

Their customer service is unacceptable and I would NEVER recommend anyone purchase their products.