The Grooming SpotDog Grooming

K

After 4.5 hours at The Grooming Spot, I brought my dog home only to realize that they cut her skin in numerous spots with a razor!!! We found cuts on her legs, dewclaw, elbows, stomach and neck. She also suffered from severe razor burn by her rear. Within 24 hours, she couldn't even walk and she wasn't eating or drinking. The vets later discovered that she had numerous infections and was in need of medications due to poor grooming. Her wounds are just now starting to scab and it's been over a week. When addressed to the owner, they admitted my dog's wounds were a direct result of the grooming, but they wouldn't pay for the entire vet bill since I did not pay for the grooming service. Not only was this a traumatic experience for my dog, but it is by far the worse run business and guest service imaginable. FYI, don't be fooled by any previous feedback you may have heard about The Grooming Spot. They are under new ownership, but they kept the same name. I have heard from several people in the neighborhood that they too have had problems with their dogs getting cut there and the owners not wanting to take responsibility.
To The Grooming Spot, even if a person gets a haircut at a salon and they are unhappy with the cut DUE TO THE GUEST BEING INJURED, the salon would waive the price of the cut. Learn how to groom dogs and run a business.

• Pu
    puppal Aug 05, 2009

Sorry about your dog. Hope she's ok now.

• Pa
    Paul Warren Aug 09, 2009

The Grooming Spot should be shutdown! I question whether these people even like animals or are they just in it for the money. I don't think they even have licensed groomers there. Our dog was there for 6 hours and when I went to pick her up, they weren't even finished. My dog had cuts all over her feet, neck and legs too. I was horrified! Immediately afterwards, I took her to the vet and the vet told me she got an infection as a direct result of the grooming. The owners were so rude and did not want to take responsibility. It is heartbreaking to think that people are taking their animals there, not knowing what is going to happen to them. Please be careful. Do your research before dropping your loved one off at a groomer.

• Th
    The Grooming Spot, LLC Aug 10, 2009

I don't know how to address this, but you might as well say that, "you can't please all of the people, all of the time..."

So - disgruntled little girl, your dog, who had superficial wounds from her being so disgustingly matted (poor dog ownership and hygiene) from the 10 blade that we had to use on it was probably one in 10, 000 to receive razor burn that we have groomed there since opening the business back in 2005. You asked for your dog to be put into a cut that was "impossible" to do taking into consideration the condition that your dog was brought into our shop. You brought us a picture of a show dog (which your dog is not) and wanted a show dog cut (which was explained to you at the time of the drop-off that it could not be done) After using a 3, 4, and 10 blade respectively, the latter was the only one which would go through the awful matts the poor thing had all over him. (We saved the pelt just in case you were wondering and will furnish ANYONE with the same should they want to rebut this testimony)

In short, we KNOW how to run a business and the groomer there has managed to do so for years without complaints until "Briere" showed up. Yes, we may have one or 2 complaints each year from time to time, but you know what - we gave those people a NO CHARGE grooming only because their "boyfriends" didn't act like complete idiots over the phone. Threatening conversation with vulgarities...not acceptable. Then to storm through our door and demand payment of an unseen vet bill with false accusations...again, not acceptable.

I do belive that when you spoke to one of the owners he assured you that he would investigate the complaint in it's entirety. At the conclusion, and only because of your "b/f's" actions, we had decided that we were responsible for the minor injuries that your pet received and we did pay your vet bill MINUS the grooming cost. Had he been a civil human being and not went off like a 4 year old over the phone we gladly would have paid the entire vet bill.

You got exactly what you asked for, "a summer shave" which because of your dogs matting could only be achieved by using a "reverse 7 or a 10 blade..." and you can check with any other groomer on this.

And finally, the veternarian that you brought your dog too - wrote us a kind letter along with your pet's summation of the bill: "Dear Grooming Spot - In the past, my clients have always been more than happy with the groomings that they have received at the Grooming Spot..." Thomas J Weiner VMD

In closing, please before you blow up again, think about what you want to say, think about what you asked us to do, and think about the way that you are now BOTH acting. Just because you didn't get your way, don't cry like a baby and blabber mouth your bad experience all over the place. Be happy that you got that much - oh and to answer the question above: FROM PUPAL: pupal wrote: "Did they pay any of the vet bill? Did you accept? If so, it's over, I'm afraid. If you did not accept, you could continue to push for the full amount, but it might not be worth the hassle and you might not get it."

We sent a letter to you along with our payment of the vet bill explaining that if you choose to accept the payment - you are accepting the terms that you will no longer hold The Grooming Spot responsible for any further "so called" infections your dog may have received. By endorsing the check and accepting payment you are accepting that you will not receive credit for your grooming charge and therefor will not receive full payment of your vet bill ($253.00 ) We charged you ($50.00 plus NJ sales tax and deducted from your bill) $50 for a Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier is pretty much a bargain - try getting that price @ PetsMart and see what happens when you show up with a matted dog. LOL

We are still the "original" owners of The Grooming Spot and have not changed management since purchasing the businees from Nikki's Pet Grooming back in Jan 2005. AS far as you "hearing" from so-called people in the neighborhood about their dogs getting poor treatment and our facility NOT taking responsiblity? Well, we are a licensed grooming facility, we carry Groomer's Insurance, and we are registered with the state of NJ for the same. The Grooming Spot, LLC. We have nothing to hide from your "hearsay" accusations and would just like to put this entire matter behind us...if you think you could manage that.

Sorry you are still disgruntled and if you would like a 1/2 price grooming please call on us again and we will arrange that for you, if not - then by all means - HAVE A NICE DAY!

The Grooming Spot

• Pu
    puppal Aug 10, 2009

Wow, The Grooming Spot just made things worse, I'm afraid.

First of all, no matter how upset and irate your customer is, a business should never behave like you just did. Not good for business!! Second, you should not base your payoff on how the customer behaved but on your performance. Third, you don't seem to know if the poster spoke to the owner or not, so who exactly are you???

If a customer asked for a cut you could not perform, you should have said so right then and there. Period. Furthermore, just because a dog has matted fur is no excuse for such severe cuts and razor burn that it needs veterinary treatement. I had a dog with mats once; the groomer was able to shave them off without knicking, cutting or hurting my dog.

Take your own advice and think about how you are acting: it is not professional and will not attract customers.

• Sh
    Showdog Mar 15, 2010

"Puppal" thank you for your concern about our dog. Yes, she is okay now and continues to go to her previous groomer on a monthly basis. She has been going there for a little over a year, but unfortunately, her regular groomer had a family emergency and was out for awhile. Now she's back and she does an outstanding job, every time. So much so, that GM thought her picture was that of a show dog! (It was her on the front lawn, the day after a previous grooming experience). In addition, she's extremely compassionate and my dog runs into her arms to shower her with kisses every time she sees her!
    I've been a retail General Manager for 15 years and am appauld at the unprofessionalism displayed by The Grooming Spot. Clearly, the way they handled their response speaks volumes as to how they run a business. The suffering that my dog endured cannot be erased by a dollar amount, and that is the overall message that didn't seem to get through. Hair is just hair and it will grow back, but the memory of the days that followed her poor grooming experience, when we had to carry her out to the yard to go to the bathroom, or when she wasn't eating or drinking, is what will continue to make me a "disgruntle little girl", who's in her mid-30s, by the way, so thank you. LOL. And what's with "summer shave"? I've never even heard of that before. My dog's hair protects her from the summer sun, so her skin doesn't get burnt. Isn't that in Dog Grooming 101?
    And yes, despite daily brushings, our dog gets matts when her hair gets wet (ie, rain, snow, etc.), but her skin is too sensitive to get a bath more than once every 4-6 weeks. Her current groomer showed us a tool that we can use that will cut through the matt vertically, so she won't have to loose the length of her hair. It has helped greatly and now we are enjoying our days with our "show dog" beauty.

• Na
    nan750 Jun 22, 2010

I have been taking my Silky Terrier to the Grooming Spot for about 4 years now, I find them to be very caring and gentle people. My little guy always looks beautiful when he is finished and is very well groomed. I trust the owner so much that I left my dog in her care for a week while I was on vacation. He was well taken care of. I now have a Bernese Mountain dog who just turned a year and I have been taking him to the Grooming Spot since he was about 4 mos. old. He is always well taken care of and looks great when he is finished. I just noted the remark about the summer cut, I've heard of these cuts for dogs, some people do request a shorter cut in the summer.

I am in customer service, I've been a customer service manager - unfortunately, sometimes, people will push others to a limit beyond their tolerance and an unfortuante incident will occur.

This lady is very lucky she has a dog that runs to a groomer, I've had many groomers for my dogs, I've had wonderful vets for my dogs, but I've never had a dog who actually runs joyfully into their arms? Dogs don't usually react in that manner to places they go to only occasionally.

I've been to the Grooming Spot many times and as a rule they are very busy, and their repeat business is growing to me this speaks in larger volume than a complaint or two registered a year or more ago.

• Ne
    New York Lynda Dec 04, 2010

OMG This is for the grooming Shop" SPOT", I am a groomer and shop owner over 18 years, I am shocked and amazed to your response of a client that complained of cuts and scrapes to her dog. You tell her its her "You asked for your dog to be put into a cut that was "impossible" to do taking into consideration the condition that your dog was brought into our shop. "
    What? Who cares what the client wants when you have a dog in poor condition come into your PROFESSIONAL ESTABLISHMENT... YOUR the PROFESSIONAL! Thats why your in the DOG GROOMING BUSINESS. Tell them NO... its really very easy, explain the Seriousness & the Danger of this Grooming... and suggest a VET Visit would probably be in their best interest. The vet can give a seditive and or put the dog in a comfortable state, making Grooming Easier on your pet and you. NOW WHO LOOKS LIKE THE PRO NOW? you my friend... and that all happend for the love of a pet! My heart breaks when i red something like this... EDUCATE YOURSELF PEOPLE! -CERTIFIED -LICENSED DOG GROOMING SHOPS ONLY!!!... MAKE them take responsiability! Or get yourself a LAWYER

• Si
    Siannan May 17, 2013

I've been a customer of the Grooming Spot since before 2007 and Merlin is my 2nd dog with them. You should see my little guy trot through the door like he owns the place. Even with his recent injury, sustained at home (in case you wondered), when I took him in for grooming, he was well cared for, carefully groomed and we were called 90 minutes after we dropped him off. I have never had a problem with the care my little dog receives there. He's always treated like the little prince he is.