The Grant UniversityFraud

I ordered their 7 day preview of their free grant program. On the fifth day, I was so frustrated that I could not clearly understand their website and directions. I contacted the company by phone [protected] to cancel before I would be charged $69.95 on my account. There was no answer at this number, I tried again on Friday, same thing...on Saturday I got a recording that they did not work on the weekend and would have to call back Monday or leave a voicemail. I left a voicemail and gave them my name and phone number telling them that I was cancelling and have called several times today, Monday, and have been on hold forever telling me that all agents are busy, but they want me to leave a voicemail. They have charged my account as of 2 days ago. I have not heard from them nor have I received the material that I was promised. Please help. Cathy Albert

• Th
    Thomas E. Latham Oct 06, 2008

I was told that I would recieve a password for the web site and it never came. I was allready 4 days into the trial period and I had not even been able to get on the web site so I called and I was on hold for ever and then just cut off. When I finally got back on hold I went to leave an e-mail but it was full as it was yesterday also. I was calling to cancel the order because I refuse to deal with people that don't do what they say.Thursday Oct 9th 2008 is the deadline for cancelling this order then they will be charging my card $69.95 per month for this service and I do not want it, but I have a feeling that no one including me is going to have much luck getting through to this set up.

Rebecca Lennon Oct 07, 2008

The same thing happened to me. I got caught up in the weekend thing as well, on Monday I stayed on hold for over 2 hours, then they evenually closed and said to leave a voice message. But the mailbox was full. I e-mailed them and it was returned. On tuesday I finally got a human on the line and she said it was to late to cancel, I ask for a supervisor and was told that there was none available. Then she tried to change the dates that I ordered it on to fit there billing. Still trying to get a supervisor, but not very hopeful. Calling my bank now to try to stop payment, it's still pending.

• Te
    teresa uptain Oct 07, 2008

do not ever give anyone your card number ever again it is a rip off and now i cant git my money back so what is able to be done.

• Do
    donnae Oct 09, 2008

they are trying to take unauthorized monies from credit card. also, when call phone # provided get answering machine... every time?

joseph Oct 11, 2008

They are fraud . Why people are stealing money like this ... really want to punish them . Government has to take some actions against them .I lost 69.95 two times from my credit card ...

sandra conley Oct 15, 2008

The same thing happened to me. I ordered the cd. for the 1.98 shipping. After waiting for 9 days to receive the cd, I looked for a number to call to inquire about the cd. In the meantime, I happened to check my credit card balance and found that I had an unauthorized charge for 69.95. When I contacted them I got the same story that I had not contacted within the 7 day time period(?) and that they would not remove the charge. I am calling my credit card comany to get the charge removed.

sandra conley Oct 15, 2008

Unauthorized charges on credit card for unordered merchandise. No satisfaction in attempting to deal with company after multiple attempts

Rob Oct 15, 2008

They offer you a "free" 7 day trial & a CD for $1.98 which never comes, then you get charged $69.95 on your account. We called the customer service hotline and were told that a supervisor would call us to discuss our refund. The supervisor never called. When I called a week later, the previous customer service rep and supervisor no longer worked there. DO NOT by tricked by this scam!

• Le
    lela Oct 15, 2008

THE SAME HAPPEN TO ME...MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR BANK STATEMENTS OR CREDIT CARDS BECAUSE I FOUND 2 MORE CHARGES FORM GOD KNOWS WHAT.I 'M WONDERING IF ANYBODY IS ABLE TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO NEXT...

• Le
    lela Oct 15, 2008

THEY SCAMED ME OUT OF 69.99 PLUS THEY DID NOT STOP THERE THEY GAVE MY INFO TO ANOTHER COMPANY WHICH CHARGED MY ACCOUN T 32.99 THE SAME DAY, , , , , , , , , ,

Robert A. Piper Oct 16, 2008

I originally ordered the grant university quick start cd rom and was told that I could access their website for all the grant information I need. I was also told that I could cancel the order any time in the allotted time frame. I had cancelled the order as requested, however, I could not access their website as they stated a .com address. There is not a .com address associated with the address as given. However, there is a grantuniversity.net. I have not been able to access the materials as needed, and I want my credit carge charge of
    $69.95 credited back to me ASAP.

• Ka
    Karen Keys Oct 17, 2008

I ordered the trial disk for $1.98 and 5 days later I was bill for $69.95, before the "trial" period was up. When I called to complain they told me there was nothing they could do but cancel my monthly subscription, What monthly [email protected]!

• As
    Ashley Oct 17, 2008

I think I found this site too late :( I just submitted my 1.98 on a debit visa gift card... But I wrote every thing down from the phone number they called me at (630 392 2000) to services guys name and his number 289... And before I hung up I asked what I was being charged again and he said 1.98 for the 10 day trial... that's what brings me here, what's this 10 day trial? Sounds suspicious, any suggestions? Ashley Dvorak

Charles Elledge Oct 18, 2008

My bank account was charged a one time $1.98 and then days later a one time $69.95.I have found a web site online but it is bogus. I got a phone number here somewhere but there is never any answer just rings and rings and rings, on and on and on.I had 3 bogus company charge my account last month and had to change accounts to stop it. CME, Columbus Ga

• Ca
    Catheye Willis Oct 27, 2008

I, too am a victim of the Grant University program. I am a single, disabled and unemployed African- American woman who got this website from what was supposed to be a legitimite company. The advert basically stated that I would receive a "free" cd and that I only had to pay $1.98 in shipping /handling fees. Their ad was very misleading and gave me the impression that I had access to this company for the price of the cd. They took $70 out of my debit card without my knowledge or permission-- the only way I found out is that I went to the grocery store to buy food and medicine and the card was denied!! I called my financial institution and learned that there was a charge for $70 from The Grant University. I was stunned. I also had the impresson that my trial membership started when I got the cd-- apparently, it starts from the time the application was filled out!! This is a complete MESS that I need to address. They redused to give me a refund, but offered me 2 months of service for free. I am quite strapped for money as I have no substantial income (I redeive $115 a month from my county and $162 in food stamps.) If you check out the [redacted] website (/link removed/ you'll find THREE PAGES OF COMPLAINTS from people all over the United States concerning this site!! What kills me is that a website that was supposed to PROTECT the public from stuff like this endorsed this website as reputable and was recommended as the top choice of all the companies that it supposedly checked out.

I am going to file a complaint with BBB about this incident and see what happens.

Catheye Willis

• St
    Stepanie Oct 28, 2008

Trying to call this # 877-207-16-15 for three days to cancel this bogus CD how to get grant. No answer of course. This lady call me about it when I stated that I want this cancel, she refered me to that same phone # that never answer. I want this cancel order # 2795521 and also called my credit card also.

Joyce Greene Oct 30, 2008

Grant University is a total fraud! I was told cd for $1.98 would take 3 to 5 business days. It was 11 business days when I received the worthless cd. One must have access to website to get the real info. I was very careful and lucky to cancel the $69.95 membership fee before the 7 day "free" trial was up! I never tried the website, because I thought I needed the cd to do so. Anyway, as I said earlier the cd is worthless, and I do check my credit card info almost everyday to make sure their bogus charges are not there. Also, I received a call that I would receive a "free" gift and this would be in the form of discounts on many items, if I was not interested, I must cancel a $16.95 a month membership within 30 days. Which I did so. I also watch for that charge, just in case. The lesson I have learned, for sure, is NOTHING is free! My financial status is so bad, that I fear I may be homeless very soon. I was desperate and did not research The Grant University. Someone should bring them down for their false advertising. Too many websites out there are so ugly!!! Glad I was able to vent!! Thank you!

rpaul Oct 31, 2008

Grant University Class action suit Request all of you to get intouch with me and stop this fraud. [email protected]

rpaul Oct 31, 2008

The Grant University Class action suit. Request all of you to get intouch with me and stop this fraud. [email protected]

• Ri
    Richard R Fisher Nov 01, 2008

I was on-line looking for an educational grant for my wife. Grant (without the letter 's') University came up and seemingly appeared to be a legitimate organization. For just $1.98 I would receive a CD outlining the process of obtaining a free government grant. What they did NOT make obvious was that they were going to start charging my checking account $69.95/month for their program! This is a hidden attachment you can find by manuvering around their web site. To make matters worse, my wife was then contacted by telephone by a foreign speaking woman who (in broken english) talked her into a grant information CD for only $1.98. You guessed it, it was Grant University with the same scam so this month they seized $139.90 from our checking account causing our bank account to go into the negative! As a result of those transactions, our bank charged us an additional amount of $87.00 for NSF!!! Our calls to this "organization" have been to NO avail. I am spittin' mad at these SOBs. I'm all for a class action suit!!!

• Gl
    Glenn Nov 03, 2008

Here here! Same thing happened with me, it's only been 5 days and already they charnged me $69.95 and I can't find anywhere to cancel. A little harder for me to call them being in Iraq, but still I haven't been able to even START the free trial. This is B.S...

Charles Sousa Nov 03, 2008

It seems I am just another name in a long list of names being taken by Grant University. Even befor the application stuff I was sent ona customer realations trip that took me around the world in 80 minuts - trying to cancel the whole thing - I found out that as soon as my number was put in they charged my account even befor the application was filled out which it never was. What realy bugged me was they were top rated by Snope. I switched to Truth or Fiction .

• Lj
    LJT Nov 04, 2008

You should contact your States Attorney's office. I have been having issues dealing with this company as well and unfortunatly they sound completly legit to a college student in serious need of funding to stay in school. Gather all of the information you can and file a complaint in writing. If enough of us do this we can get these people.

• Lj
    LJT Nov 04, 2008

This company is a bogus. I'm sitting at about 4months worth of charges plus they gave my number to another random utah company which charged me 39.95 all after it was cancelled.Contact your states attonrneys office!!! ASAP

• Valerie Nov 05, 2008

I am trying to raise money for a 4 Disc Cervical Replacement because Medicare and Medical Will NOT cover the procedure, the Doctor who was going to do the operation asked me to raise the money someway, some how or I am going to have nerve damage to my hands, arms and shoulders. As a florist of 35 years with a loving passion of doing weddings, I did not want to lose all that I have left! I was born with a lower back abnormality, I have had 2 surgeries for that, I cracked my C5 15 years ago and had a Spinal Fusion C5-C-6, all I can really do for income are my flowers! I am in such great pain and desperate to try anything lawful to gain my independence and here comes this company with it's big promises to help me out! I haven't even gotten a letter, email absolutely nothing except $1.98 & $69.95 taken out of my checking account! How can you take advantage of someone who is already in despair? These companies should NOT be Allowed to conduct business transactions like this online! Taking advantage of those in dire need is unjust, immoral and out right wrong!

• Valerie Nov 06, 2008

The Grant University took $69.95 out of my bank account. I canceled the day after I signed up with them and I had 7 days to cancel. The terms state that you have to cancel within the 7 days and they will not charge your account. When I contacted them they just told me they were sorry and put the $69.95 back into my account, but they still caused the fees totally $69.95 and they won't take care of it, regardless how many times I've contacted them by email and phone. The Supervisor Jason Sanders told me I had to contact the legal department. I've been doing this for over a week and still nothing has happened. Now I'm responsible for these charges, that I wouldn't have if it were not for this company. This company needs to be taken off the internet and dealt with.

Robert Terry Nov 06, 2008

Same ole thing with me too. I saw the premature charge in my account. i called them to cancel after being on hold for about 1 hour i did get too talk to someone and canceled, i got a refund # too, itold them to just let the money hold to expire, but nooooo they took the money anyway, they probably ought to give it back, they have never seen the fury of a robert scorned before .
    I hope this site gets so many hits that it comes up first on all search engines, and helps some other ppl avoid this scam. they have about 3 days to refund my money. or maybe i'll have to give some Attorney
    General some thing to do.
    I hope this site will help some other ppl avoid this scam.

thanks

maia Nov 07, 2008

the same thing happened to me but i called the better buisness bureau and i kept calling until they returned my money back and the bank requested that i change my account number.

Renee Nov 07, 2008

The name of the business listed on the BBB website is GRANTS SEARCH CENTER

I urge everyone to file a complaint against them, especially after noting that the BBB could not verify a valid business license for these crooks.

To file a claim with the BBB go to http://www.vegasbbb.org/rptrel.asp?bbbid=78196#bci

Unfortunately, posting info here only allows those of us who have been ripped off to commiserate with each other. It doesn't prevent them from victimizing others.
    File a claim with the BBB as well as with the FTC. They are taking advantage of people who NEED MONEY. Don't let them get you any more!
    Remember, the ONLY FREE MONEY is the MONEY THEY STOLE FROM YOU!

Renee Nov 07, 2008

I believe that THE GRANT UNIVERSITY is the same company currently operating under GRANTS SEARCH CENTER. As of now, GRANTS SEARCH CENTER has a satisfactory rating with the BBB, however they have no verifiable business license and the similarities between the two are too close to be coincidence. There are also many many complaints listed here on Complaints board for Grants Search Center a.k.a. GrantSC.com

Check it out:

View the current info and file a claim at:

All they've done, I believe is change their name and IP address. Can you spell S-H-A-D-Y ?

• Ra
    ralphe88 Nov 08, 2008

unsubscribred to there co.but still getting charges on my credit card

• Lo
    loy loretta ebersole Nov 08, 2008

I never ordered this stuff from university of grant. I would like my money back that was stolen from me, this the 8th november 2008. I to called the toll free number that I was given to me by my bank. I do have security on this credit card and if this is not resolved soon my bank will take action. Loy Loretta Ebersole

• Mi
    Michael McClain Nov 08, 2008

I am experiencing the same problems as Cathy Albert. I have been charged the 69.95, disputed it on my credit card and had it removed only to have it reinstated back on my card because they (The Grant Univesity) diputed MY claim. These people are thieves!!! They are affiliated with a credit reporting agency in AZ the has done the same thing. Both companies should be sued by the Attorney Generals office. They are bandits!!! DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE, ... YOU WILL GET SCREWED ALSO. IF THOSE SLIMY ### CRITIQUE MY MESSAGE HAVE THE BALLS TO CONTACT ME!

• Ve
    Velvet Wallace Nov 10, 2008

HUGE FRAUD !!! THEY HAVE TAKEN MONEY FROM ME TWICE IN LESS THEN TWO WEEKS AND I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY INFORMATION ! DO NOT GIVE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO THESE PEOPLE ! FIRST ONES OUT OF DRAPER UTAH ... SECOND TIME UNDER DIFFERENT NAME IBW OUT OF LAS VEGAS NAVADA... HORRIBLE NAME ON COMPANY THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE GET AN EDUCATION!!!1 DO NOT USE OR TRUST ANY FORM OF GRANT UNIVERSITY

nick Nov 10, 2008

man they are full of ### i have not recived anything from this company yet. the gentleman by the name of greg who assisted me over the phone was talking all cluttered and made it seem as if i was supposed to call another number to cancel 800-922-3615 when i called they canceled another subscription but not the 69.95 when i called the right number i was on hold for hours when i finally got thru they were closed and it was the 7th day on the next day my account was charged 69.95 for something i never looked at or logged on to and i never recived the package. this company is a fake and fruad the consumer advocate needs to be involed asa. on top of that the claim to not have record of weither or not u used the logins but they have record of the calls made what kind of business is this my fault for desperatlly needing a grant for culinary school hope no body else goes thru this.. do not use or trust the grant university please

Nicole Davis Nov 10, 2008

I've also gotten tangled up in a mess. I found a web site www.grants-reviewed.org that talked highly of the grant university. Said its 100 % free all you have to pay is a $1.98 for shipping and handling for a C.D.. Gave them my info. Took about 2 weeks to receive the C.D.. Got my credit card bill about 3 weeks after I had visited this website and had been charged $69.95 along with another fee of $29.95 from some other company. I called the phone number that was on my statement to the grant university as soon as I saw this and they were closed for the weekend called monday no one answered finally got thru to someone after holding forever explained that I was only to pay $1.98 they said no I signed up for a membership. WHAT? Told her if I knew that there was going to be a $69.95 charge I would have never given them my information! I never saw anything about a membership they refused to refund my card. Called the other company out of UT, that charged me $29.95. Had no problem getting this refunded. Called my credit card company to see if anyone else has complained about the grant university all they could do was tell me they would dispute the charge, still in the process of doing. While I was on the phone with the credit card co. he proceeds to tell me they have charged my card again, after I had already spoke to someone at the grant university and she was suppose to cancel whatever they said I signed up for. So frusterated, they are a fraud!!

Johnny Thomas Nov 11, 2008

I notified the grant university to cancel my service. I was not able to contact anyone at the customer service number, so I called the number back that initially called me. I spoke to a Rose Jenkins, who said she would notify her supervisor and cancel my service, but I was still charged 69.95.

• Valerie Nov 11, 2008

Never received the CD. Found nowhere at their website to enter my login name or password to even try out the service. Thought I'd just lost the $1.98 shipping for the CD. Not so; now have a charge for $69.95 for a service I would not have paid for and cannot use. Calling them was pointless; they're so sorry but 'those are the terms and conditions'.

They offered a replacement CD and 2 free months of access to their site. And that would be beneficial how? As the other poster stated, if it sounded too good to be true... I see that there are a great number of people who have been ripped off by this group.

Nik Nov 11, 2008

Same thing with me. I called, wrote and did everything I could to cancel and they kept giving me the run around until I was charged twice. Now I can't get in touch with the other company! I'm so angry!