TD Financial TrustConsumer Promotion Draw

L

i received a letter TD Financial Trust i had claim
#AGG89-45-12-RE:Prize Winning Payout. The letter
stated i had won $250, 000.00 and that i must contact the claim agent-Marie Jones at [protected] for instructions on how to claimthe
winnings.
I was told to deposit the check they sent in the amount
of $4, 550.00 and then to mail the check Christa Cherlock, 76 8th Avenue, ST.John, NF, Canada, E5B4T8. I called Marie Jones and she told me to deposit the check and then send a money gram in the amount of
$3, 840 US Dollars to Christa Cherlock. could you check this out to see if this is a scam. the check is from SPRINGDELL, inc.4646 Sam Houston Parkway north, Houston, TX. 71393 . the check was a JPMORGAN CHASE BANK, NA
could you check this for me? send me an e-mail
my e-mail is; [protected]@hotmail.com

• Po
    polly94550 Jul 16, 2011

My check is from wells fargo bank N, A 3, 950.00 and i have won 50, 000.00 which will be delivered by a certified ceck UPS or FEDEX . From cimarex energy company in Tulsa. ok. I would love it to be real but am scared to lose everything which isn't much. I do wish people would be honest and not take from hard working people. I feel it's a scam and they need to be stopped. 7/17/2011 Livermore California

• Su
    Sunny10 Jun 22, 2011

We have got to stop this. They are targeting the elderly and vunerable people who can't bounce back from such a blow. My 70 yr old diabetic uncle got one for $3600.00 of which $2998.00 was to be sent to a tax agent. The company is mutual consumer and merchandise reward promotions international inc. The vice president financial is michael walters 312 lakeshore dr dunkirk ny 1404, and yes this is the zip he actually used. The other names on the letter are dave karouche and teresa langley, you can call them toll free at [protected]. Folks 716 is an area code for ny and so hence is not a toll free number. They also used names like Walmart, Home Depot and Sears just to name a few. I am taking everything I have and report it to everyone, these thieves must be stopped. The letter also was mailed from Canada, and the things just go on and on.

• Sm
    smb2251 Feb 10, 2011

I received a letter too. Yes I am a big WINNER also!! The minute I opened it I knew it had to be a scam because I haven't entered a drawing at any of the listed stores from the USA or Canada as stated on the letter. So I called my "claims agent" (ha) just to get a little info. Oh well after asking questions, his computer was frozen and he asked to call ME back. I responded with "fine", but I have just some general questions that you can probably answer without pulling up my "winning prize payout information". I asked why would they want to send me a check for taxes & then ask me to send it back? Why wouldn't the prize recipient be responsible for their taxes? So I read him an excerpt from the letter stating this (twice- I might add) and the reply from him was "if I don't want to "PARTICIPATE", that's up to me at which point he hung up on me. I have left a message with the New York Securities Commission to report this. I called JP Morgan Chase Bank and they would not give me any information about the account. I also googled my "claim agents" phone number which turned out to be a cell phone and of course with no information.

• Vo
    volunteer911 Feb 03, 2011

Probably the best thing to do is go the FBI's website and fill out their online reporting information and everything that you have stated here!

• Vo
    volunteer911 Feb 03, 2011

Any commendable institution that says you have this or that amount of money would never ask for your personal banking information. This is a scam. Chris Hanson did a story on this not too long ago.

• Da
    daisy715 Sep 02, 2010

I recieve the same check. Thank goodness that i have found this site. My question is what happened to those who deposited the check and did not send the funds for the tax to them/

• Th
    The Muller's Aug 31, 2010

8-30-10, Mrysville, WA ..same MO..new names, North American Sweepstake Award Claim Unit, Niagara Falls, Canada with a cell phone of [protected](no land line listed)contact Susan or Don Walker. My check drawn on Citibank, Las Vegas, NV for $3, 920.00 US under the name of ARDYSS INTERNATION, INC, Henderson, NV (470 Mirror Ct) they want you to deposit the check and send them via Western Union $2, 785.00 for a gov't. tax. Mine shows I will get $55, 000.oo, this sure looks like a scam..2 bits says the check is not good..will be taking this to my local postmaster and copies to our Attorney General, it is a scam...beware

• Ar
    arscoops Aug 26, 2010

Got the same letter and check form State Farm, I took the documents right to the bank and they told me to contact State Farm. I did they confirmed it is a scam (which I knew) and they are investigating. THIS IS A HUGE SCAM!

not that dunb Jun 28, 2010

u want to get them back just keep calling then at all hrs of the night it realy pisses them off she called me a [censor] and Id never get rich being there pest is rich enough for me

• Sh
    sharonlge roge Apr 22, 2010

i too recieved a letter saying i was a winner, what can we do as consumers to stop this from happening to elderly people who believe this stuff and to stop these vultures from this scam this has got to be illegal and fraud..

• Is
    isntlifejuicey Apr 01, 2010

i recieved the same letter saying i won the money and she told me to deposit the money..i dont think so.. i wish there was a way i could keep the 5000 and they would front the check but i am taking it to the post master tomorrow...please do not fall this ###...

Crai Mar 30, 2010

I have the letter but a little different, , as it looks genuine... please let me know how to check this ASAP..My email is [email protected]

nonamedame Mar 16, 2010

I just got the same thing in the mail and knew it had to be a scam. Mine is from AIG just like thee one Rick001 wrote about above. I am wondering if there is someone I could send this stuff to that could investigate this. I have the check, letter and envelope and it angers me that these people are spamming good people. They are probably not US or Canadian citizens and they are probably who left that one comment that says they actually received their money but don't seem to know where comas go in numbers. If anyone knows who I could send this stuff to let me know at [email protected]

• Ru
    ruben berrellez Mar 03, 2010

Oh man i too received the check and i already deposited it. I would like to know if i'm going to get in trouble for this. What should i do now. I'm not going to spend the money in case the check bounces, but if not what am i supposed to do with that money. Can anyone help this is my mail [email protected] please help as soon as possible i just deposited the check today

• St
    steam_girl Mar 01, 2010

I recieved a letter in the mail yesterday from "Forever 21 Retail. inc" saying I won $250, 000.00 and it has the same instructions others have posted. The check is from Walls Fargo Central Bank (not Wells Fargo) in the amount of $4, 500.00 to cover a "tax clearance fee" and I am to call my "Agents" before I act on this letter. It was just too fishy to believe. The check looks real but why would they send it to me the way they did? Also, the check is the only thing with my name on it, and it is my maiden name. We got married in june '09, and they claim to have drawn my "entry slip" in the "last quarter, in 2009". I just don't think so. I am going to make copys and going to the post office. I have never been scamed before and I'm sad but happy to say todays world has made me question everthing and I'm glad I did, and I'm glad I was able to read other peoples comments on the same situation.

• Go
    gobrewersgo53209 Feb 24, 2010

Well I called Ms. Janet Romano and she swears this is no scam!!! But we shall see I want to go to my bank and see if they can find anything out for me, I want to see if they can call around and find out if this check is valid and if it will clear...if the check does clear I may just keep the $4980 and call it yay for me lol...we all know that it's a scam if I make $5000 out out of it ok, if not well I know better we will see lol

• Go
    gobrewersgo53209 Feb 24, 2010

I am so glad I found this website too ...I am very lucky as my boyfriend of 5 years works for a bank, will be taking this check to the security man there tomorrow, I am taking to my bank today to let them know what is up. The fact that it's a real check makes me madder, I too need the money...but not bad enough to have a $5000 check bounce in my account, umm no thanks, I wil do what ever I can to bring these ### down. With 4 kids and desperatly needing a new car even the $5000 would come in handy but Ia m too scared to think even that check would clear.

• Po
    polyman117 Feb 12, 2010

I got the best one yet. I am a 20 year police veteran. And a fraud detective. I got the same letter from these scammers. And it was mailed to the Police Department. I called they guy, let him make his pitch, then informed him who I was, and that I would be turning the letter and information over to the FEDs, after I had it all processed for prints. He hung up. Imagine that.

• Ra
    RavynJax Feb 07, 2010

Do not throw these documents away! Take them to your POST MASTER immediately. These letters result in a federal crime that can be traced by the FBI to the parties that are attempting to steal from you. The most recent letter on file is dates January 20, 2010 with a check payable from Azaleos Corporation (Which is a valid company with a valid address). One way to tell that the check is a fake is the bank name of SVB Silicon Vally Bank, there is no "SVB" bank, yet there is a Silicon Valley Bank (Note Valley, not Vally).

• Gr
    Grandma K Jan 26, 2010

Thank you for posting this information I just received the same letter (winning $50, 000.00) Guess they're lowering their winnings. I was very excited, as anyone would be. I certainly would have deposited the check had I not read these entries. I doubt if I would have sent any money out however; I'm just too careful and too suspicious to follow those kind of instructions, at least I'd hoped I would be. Thank you again. LETTER RECEIVED IN CALIFORNIA. Oddly enough, It was sent using a postal permit. I thought it was against the law to use the US postal service for such things. Hum, I think I'm going to take it to the post office and ask what is up with this.

Croz Jan 22, 2010

My wife got a check postmarked 12/30/09, the letter inside was dated 01/15/10 and was from a "DOUGHWORKS, INC." in Greensboro, N.C. w/ a check for 4, 450.00 with the "DOUGHWORKS, INC." and the bank "BB&T" also out of N.C. The letter stated to call the claims agent "Mr. Kevin Smith or Ms. Malie Frank" @ [protected] w/ pacific standard time hours, the post parked envelope from the U.K., the East Coast company and bank, w/ pacific calling hours for a random drawing from name brand stores that anyone may have gone to anywhere male or female young or old (sounded like some ol' fortune teller trick, it is something that relates to anyone) had to be a scam! But for sh*ts and giggles my wife called the number and an aribic sounding man answered and explaint " to cash the check and call him afterwards and he would send a remaining reward of 50, 000 us dollars", not enough info for me. So, I called him and gave our promotional info and he enformed that he had explained it already, so I asked him th explain it again in more detail, how did we win, why do I have to deposit the money befor he can send us the rest, what store exactly did we win the money from, ect... another thing was only $2, 900 worth of taxes for 50, 000 for British Government Taxes for U.S. Based companies... come on, really. So my wife and I got online and began investigating, the "DOUGHWORK, INC." found nothing, the "BB&T Bank" was real but could give no info. in regards to the company the check was sent from, one of the claims agent's name "Ms. Malie Frank" was flagged as a scammers name used, and "Kevin Smith" is an actor and director. I know some people (good people have suffered from this, and I am sorry to here that) have been effected by this and others have not bought it, and our hopes were high for a few minuts till we pieced it together. I you get something like this don't get your hopes up, it looks like it could be real, but all it is is "REAL BULLSH*T" and I would love to have an opportunity to face this guy and let him in person try to sell me this crap!

MMC

• Tr
    tracy kay Jan 22, 2010

has anyone ever gotten an answer on this is it a scam or not

• Ai
    aimleewoo Nov 10, 2009

Hear Ye Hear Ye! I got one too!! LOL! As soon as I showed it to my hubby, he ripped up the check, not knowing it was a scam, I thought it real, my eyes bulged! LOL! Anyhow, I did my research and found this website as well as /URL removed/ Thank you to all who confirmed this scam!
    Wanting to bust the ### who like to take advantage of innocent persons, I too am going to share this letter and torn check with local and state authorities. Money isn't everything...infact...it's the root of all evil! Safe and scam-free in Ohio!

• Th
    THIA STARR Sep 22, 2009

IT IS A SCAM, BEWARE THE CHECK WILL BOUNCE . THEY WANT YOOU TO SEND MONEIES AND THEY WILL GET THERE MONIES WESTERN UNION AS CASH SO YOU WILL BE LEFT WITH THE BOUNCED CHECK AND THE DEBT OF THE TAXS THEY WANT YOU TO SEND . cALL YOUR BANK THEY WILL EXPLAIN.

CRAMYOURSCAM Aug 18, 2009

I received one also. I had my doubts as no one would send a check in this manner nor would they inform you of winning such a grand prize this way. A contest winner especially of this magnitude would be notified via registered mail.

I immediately went to the trusy web and did some investigation before ever thinking about contacting these worms. I really want to call the number and let them know that it is all over the web that it is a SCAM, but I do not even want to get involved at that level. I am however going to scan a copy of the front and back of the check, the envelope and the letter and e-mail it to the Texas Attorney General and to the Texas Postmaster General.

I may never know if anyone gets busted on this, but I will feel good that I reported it and you can bank on God getting these people in the end.

STAND UP FOR JUSTICE, REPORT SCAMS

• Te
    Tes & Shel Aug 16, 2009

****me and my mom also recevied a letter stating that she had also won 250, 000.00 but we did some lookin on the internet and seen that we almost fell for the same scam. if we wouldnt have seen these by tomorrow the "bristol west insurance group" stated that we needed to send the 4, 783.72 tomorrow. but were not. EVERYONE WHO READS AND GETS THIS SCAM!! SAVE THE ENVELOP AND MAKE COPIES OF THE CHECKS SINCE THEY ARE FAKE! THEN CONTACT THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF YOUR STATE AND THE POSTMASTER GENERAL. ONCE YOU DO THIS AND TALK TO THOSE PEOPLE THEY NOW HAVE EVIDENCE. PUT A STOP TO THIS SCAM NOW!!! NO MORE INOCCENT PEOPLE NEED TO LOSE THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY!!!

-Michele and Tesla Clyde, Ohio

• Rn
    rnisy Aug 16, 2009

What can we do about these scam artist. I think it is unbelieveable on how they think they can get away in doing this. I have receive a letter in the mail. I had taken the letter to work and showed everyone it. To their knowledge it looked real ( even the check). In my letter it was from
    Bristol West Insurance Group ( from Seattle WA)
    It stated that I had won from a Consumer's Promotional Draw that was organized from both American and Candadian customers ( from major retailers Walmart, Target, Sears, Macy, home Depot, Zellers, etc). My name was was attach with serial number 275665, and was drawn out of a computer data base. It also stated that I was entitled to a preliminary prize of 250, 000. It was going to be sent as a CERTIFIED CHECK by a courier company. They had enclosed a check for $4.965.44 to cover the NON-CANADIAN RESIDENTIAL TAX, insurance, and delivery charge pertaining to your 250, 000 winning. It should be noted that you are not required to make any payment by way of your own finances. In order to claim your prize successfully you must contact your assigned claim's agent.
    Joanna Bernstein [protected]
    Hours Monday to Friday 7am to 6pm PSD time.
    All taxes are payable to a designated tax agent.
    Dianna Charlton
    2200 Larrton Ave
    Le Duc, Canada
    Tax amount 4, 783.72
    President of company
    Darrall R. Brafshaw
    [protected]
    Upon reading this letter over with my husband he had called and Joanna had to to cash the check and call her back. Excited before thinking we did just that. We called her and she said when it cleared to call back and she would give further instructions. My husband is very leary about these things but when he heard it from his ears he believed it; just like everyone else that saw the check and read the letter. Well after the over joyed wear off we had said we should look this up. We did just that and saw that it was a scam. The insurance company was a automobile company; we said okay and then I search the President name that was on my paper. It was a SCAM. We went to the police department and file an complaint, and went to the bank to let them know what was going on. Luckily we did not do anything with that check or our lives would of be destroyed. The bank was very helpful and took care of everything for us.
    I know I wrote a long enough letter about this, however I thought it was very important and wanted to get this out to well
    I just did not care if i had to write a ten page on this I would. Too many people lives are being destroyed because of this and we all need to work together and make these people pay.
    Tampa Florida

• Ms
    ms.mack1 Aug 12, 2009

I agree with everyone If you do not need the money and don't want get caught up in this bull**** throw it way if you need the money cash it keep the money and deal with the consequences later because I need the money and they should not play with me like that. It is a scam.

• Ik
    I knew It Aug 11, 2009

Got the exact same letter, i read from other people on a different website though that they deposited the check and it did clear. Im wondering if i should deposit it in a seperate account see if it clears and keep the money for myself?? If i get the clerks name i should be good. It will not be my fault if they clear a fraud check..

• Sp
    Sparkys2 Jul 24, 2009

It is a shame, in today's society and the shape of the economy, people are allowed to place attractive adds or use your own federal mail box to scam money from people that are looking for some relief or a ray of hope. We do look in many places, and not exactly in the right places, all of the time. Do we not have any privacy, anywhere? What can we gain, as victims, from the mental abuse, bestowed upon us by people mentioned in the very mail you and I have received? The now blemished names, in my opinion, are: Great America Insurance, Mike Gibson, Henrietta Gomez, Carl H. Lindner, S. Craig Lindner. Did they really have anything to do with the scam or not? Are they victims as well? Is the secrete behind the account numbers on the $4, 993.95 check that I received? I hope and pray, no one, that has received such a letter, will ever loose money. Besides, if you receive something, in the U. S. mail, such as a check written to you, with your address, I think it should be yours to do as you please with no obligations. If you right a bad check, what happens to you?
    I think it is time for a federal law, to be mandated, against people that scams citizens through the U.S. mail. They have left a very good paper trail and I don't think it would be hard to find them.

• Ri
    Rik001 Jul 23, 2009

Got the same type of letter, only from the Great America Insurance co, which is real. However, GAI has nothing to do with anything like this. Google search brought up this and other sites about the scam. I noticed right off that none of the letter heads had web adresses listed and the contacts had no email.

That's very irregular in todays business, especially major ones.

The president of the so-called company signed his name wrongly on the check also.

It's a scam, just as I thought. Thanks to you all for confirming my suspicions. I hope the buggers get caught.

• Si
    Sillygoose Jul 06, 2009

Hi All,
    So I recieved a check today A.I.G Annuity Insurance stating I won $250, 000.00 I recieved an enclosed check for $ 4992.00 Single mom lack of income man'o' man did the check look mighty good. I had to find out if it was for real, so before I called or made that deposit I had to check it out and here it is Scam ( crushed me but what ever is really free anymore) so FYI. They are using A.I.G Annuity Insurance Located in Seattle, WA
    President is Carl. H. Lindner, Claim Agent Vanessa Zay @[protected] Tax Agent Jenn Dillahers in Canada.
    Check made out for $4992.00 Check wouldnt be valid before 7/6/09 and expires 180days
    LOL they had all my info right even my last name which NOBODY EVERS Gets RIGHT, SO they place me in NC when I dont live there am about 6 states away from NC.

I feel for those who have been taken advatage of, but thank you for posting all the comments to help a fellow person out.

• El
    ELM Jul 01, 2009

When you bring the check to the bank to cash it, they will cash it, its a real check... then you send most of the money to a tax agent, and about a week later the check bounces. Now you just sent most of the money to some tax agent another country... and you own the bank almost $5000. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM!!

• El
    ELM Jul 01, 2009

I just recieved a letter from AIG Annuity insurance saying my name has been drawn in the annual CONSUMER'S PROMOTIONAL DRAW, organized for both American and Canadian customers of the following major retailers e.g. Target, Wal-Mart, Sears, Macy's, Home Depot, Zellers etc. It says my name was attached to a serial drawn out of a computer database therefore, im entitled to a preliminary prize of $250, 000... The letter is asking me to call my claim agent Brooke Stone at [protected]... The letter came with a check for $4989.30 for non-canadian residential taxes, I am to cash this check a send $4768.59 to Leanna Darkinlez ( tax agent) at 558 kaleyon dr medicine hat, canada, I did call and at the end of the phone call she told me not to tell the back what the check was for and not to bring the letter with me. DONT FALL FOR THIS!!

• Be
    bec california May 28, 2009

bec california I recieved a check from Farmers Texas County Mutual Insurance Company Austin TX - Bank CITIBANK DELWARE also agent Name MARIE JONES [protected] diff phone number same contact name. I Called on three diffrent phone she will answer but wont let you finish your sentence before she hangs up.

• Sh
    Shelly May 22, 2009

I actually e-mailed the bank (First Fidelity Bank, Oklahoma City, OK)that the $3, 950.50 'check' was drawn on and this is the response that I got; "Shelly, That is a fraudulent item. Please feel free to contact us any time. Have a great evening." I figured it was a scam, but figured I'd go straight to the horses mouth...so to speak. Good luck!

• Vi
    Virginia May 18, 2009

I Virginia from FL, I got a letter telling me to call Mark Nelson the claim agents about the winnings of $150, 000.00 and a check of $5, 997.00 for the tax on the winnings wanting me to deposit the check and wait for the bank to clear it and call he.

• Ho
    howcrazzy May 11, 2009

I recieved something similar but from Edward Jones Financial and it had the 4500 dollar check enclosed... the amount i was too pay taxes on was 150, 00 dollars. They said i won a drawing from wal mart! Cashed the check, sent them 3750 and in 9 days i did recieve a check for 150, 00 dollars from Edward Jones Financial but i have to try cashing it!

• Ta
    Tammy from Texas May 11, 2009

My father-in-law has received the same type of letter. His letter is from ABC. Financial Trust, 8905 Alen Street, Saint John, NS Canada dated 29th April 2009. The letter states he is the winner in the "CONSUMER PROMOTION DRAW" organized for all customers of the major stores in the U.S.A. and Canada e.g. Wal-Mart, Sears, Home Depot, Safeway. His check is from Atmos Energy Corporation in Dallas written on Amarillo National Bank in the amount of $3, 995.00. They want him to call with further instructions...I have feel they are going to ask him to cash this check (which is probably stolen) and forward them a cashier check for the canadian taxes with the promise they will forward him his reward of $250, 000 or as my father-in-law said so excitedly "a quarter of a million" If he had not shown me this and we had not check it out this could have been very devastating. Please warn your family and friends of this scam. Tammy from Texas

• Lu
    LuvCountri May 11, 2009

We too have recieved a similar check and instructions. Ours is from Pekin National Bank in Illinois with a tax agent in Edmonton Canada. My husband is from Canada and noticed the stamps were from Portugal not Canada. Need to figure a way to stop this scam and get the information out.