master takumi Jan 02, 2010

This sadly has turned into a Tae Kwon Do bashing session. Those ###s out there who are bashing Tae Kwon Do or any Martial Arts for that matter are idiots. What is or who is better is determined by the practicionner not the specific style. Martial Art is more than brute force and far from just pure strenght and violence., The concept of respect and martial art spirit is too difficult for you bashing pea brainers to understand.
    True that too many Tae Kwon Do Dojang are too "watered down" or too commercialized. However since TKD became an Olympic sport, yes read it "SPORT" many regulations and rules needed to be applied to it. Parents enrolled their kids to TKD for the sport and health aspect, for some school the self-discipline aspect. What you see now is modern TKD, adapted for safety and protection from "sue happy" parents. If you want to seriously learn TKD traditional TKD, more in-depth more practical and some case more deadly (deadly...not "brutal" as Gbbjj mentioned, not martial should be brutal)
    All martial Arts eventionally become more simular to eachother as you advance deeper, they just start focusing on different things at the beginning.
    Last all true martial arts have a code of conduct, the primary one is respect. Respect yourself, respect your parents, respect your Teachers/Master, respect your pier. All being said respect other arts.

• I agree with Gbbjj. Although tae kwon do is an olympic sport um soo what the olympics is for two weeks. They wear a body protector on their waist with dots as targets to hit. It looks like a sparring match. Wrestling and Judo are also olympic sports. Although Mixed Martial Arts cagefighting is not an olympic sport is also the biggest martial arts sport in the world even more soo than Olympic tae kwon do. Cagefighitng is a sport just as tae kwon do in the olympics are but the rules are much more lenient and cagefighting is not as dangerous as boxing. Jiu Jitsu and grappling tournaments such as the world championships NAGA (North American Grappling Association) Grapplers Quest and worlwide tournaments, it is the next largest sport martial arts to cagefighting. In all my years of going to cagefights and competing in tournaments I have yet to run into a competitor that claims to be belted in a tae kwon do system. Bushidokan master Jim Harrison teaches a very effective system of martial arts for street and competition. Google Bushidokan grandmaster Jim harrison. I have trained in martial arts including Judo, Jiu Jitsu classical Japanese and Brazilian, Wing Chun, Shotokan Karate (Loyota Machida is a shotokan black belt) muay thai, and kali eskrima fighting. Sifu Phil Romero trained under master hawkins which is direct lineage from bruce lee s first teacher Yip Man. Although this man does not look like he could harm a fly, he is one of the deadliest men I know in the art of Wing Chun. It took him more than 25 Years of his life to master the techniques. Gracie Barra New Mexico ran by head instructor Roberto Tussa Alencar is the most popular gym in New Mexico right now. He has an impressive grappling career including 1st place finishes in the heavyweight blackbelt division at the world grappling championships earning invite only chances to compete in Abu Dabi. A tournament where some of the top competitors in grappling and mixed martial arts go to compete for a serious cash prize. Most of the instructors I trained under have dedicated years of their lives to be masters (more than ten atleast). I know Blackbelts in tae kwon do who have earned their belts in a short four or five years. Yes most martial arts do stem from others, however Wing Chun is a system based on linear defensive reactions. The Israeli army claimed they developed the techniques for krav maga but the techniques for krav maga are the same direct linear actions and reactions as wing chun so to say that they developed krav maga is wrong it shouldnt be listed in the archives as a martial art. Traditional Japanese Jiu Jitsu combined techniques with judo throws to gain control because the armor samurai warriors wore was too heavy for him to fight from his back. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was brought to Brazil by a Japanese jiu jitsu master that was exiled from Japan. He then came to Brazil to work on the Gracie Farm and taught jiu jitsu to them. They then developed the techniques in the streets of Brazil to fight off multiple attackers and to attack from the back if thrown on the ground. Tae Kwon Do is a korean martial similar to karate that if trained in the traditional korean way can be very devastating and effective, but it is a martial art that has been brought to america and has been watered down extremely. Most martial arts like muay thai wing chun jiu jitsu judo and karate still use traditional training practices. At age 8 in shotokan karate i was hitting and kicking on wooden dowels to develop hard tough bones in my forearms shins and fists. When I went to train with sifu phil romero i had to do iron body training by hitting a mook jung {a wooden post with wooden dowels for arms and a longer dowel for a leg that is used to toughen skin and bones}. My point isnt to disrespect tae kwon do my point is to make sure that people spend money for their kids to learn an effective form of self defense instead of wasting it on a system that hands out blackbelts hand over fist. I have a friend that got a black belt in tae kwon do when he turned 18 after starting the adult black belt program when he turned 14. So it took him only four years to get a black belt in tae kwon do. He recently came to train muay thai with me but has a long way to go because his kicks are weak with no power they are acurate yes but he is afraid to kick with his shin hard because his bones are not tough enough to do the techniques. I know they dont condition shins and forearms knees and elbows in tae kwon do. If you are scared of your child getting hurt training the right way and the hard way to earn a belt then put them in chess football or baseball. If you put your kid in tae kwon do you should be more worried about sending them to school and the shcoolyard bully starting a fight and sending them home with a bloody nose and a black eye rather than taking them to a good traditional school and worry about getting them hurt training the right way. P.S. If Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was easy it would be called baseball.

• Un
    Undefeated of the East Jan 28, 2010

I would have to agree with the fact that the instructor had no right to strike your son however I doubt very seriously that it did any real damage and it’s not like your son was never hit before. Your son needs to learn how to respect authority because I practice Taekwondo at a university and if I ever made jokes about my instructor’s wife I am more than certain he would put me back in my place. Also if your son is a Black belt then he should be able to take a punch or kick from any person. Your son will grow up to be a spoiled little brat and you will only have yourself to blame if you don't let him take care of his own problems. In this case he should have taken what he had coming and then apologized to the instructor and went forward from there. Instead mommy's little baby boy went home and cried and got away with being a generally bad student. If he was learning ITF Taekwondo he would have been removed for the comment alone.
    Also don't bring your problems to the internet and learn to teach your child some manners.

• Okay for all those that think the instructor was in the right and think that my son deserved this I have something to tell you.

This so called instructor is not being charged with child abuse. He has a 12 month old son. His wife left him alone with the infant while going to work. The baby like all any babies was crying. The instructor got so angry that he shook the baby. Now the baby is paralized and may be develmentally delayed. Also his wife wants to divorce him because he was physically abusive towards her. She has gotton a black eye for him. She stayed with him until he shook his baby. What a good role model for our children. What a good instructor. I bet all those who supported him think that the infant got what was coming to him because he was crying as all babies do.

He really has anger issues and I am not the only parent that complained about this. He also slapped a ten year old across the face because the boy in the same day was late and did not preform well.

• AGAIN GET YOUR KIDS OUT OF TAE KWON DO, THE INSTRUCTORS AT TAE KWON DO SCHOOLS BEAT UP CHILDREN CAUSE IF THEY WENT TO A REAL MARTIAL ARTS GYM THAT TRAINS IN MUAY THAI KICKBOXING, AMERICAN KICKBOXING, CHINESE KICKBOXING, KARATE OR ANY OTHER MARTIAL ARTS GYM THAT DOESNT TRAIN IN TAE KWON DO, THEN THEY WOULD GET KNOCKED OUT COLD AND NEVER WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN MARTIAL ARTS EVER AGAIN. BRUCE LEE WAS CONSIDERED ONE OF THE BEST FIGHTERS IN THE WORLD AND WAS AHEAD OF HIS TIME IN MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING PROVING HIS METHODS OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN STREET FIGHTS AND IN THE RING AND COMBINED MANY SYSTEMS TO ADAPT HIS OWN STYLE. OF ALL THE STYLES HE STUDIED, WING CHUN, AMERICAN BOXING, WRESTLING, SAVAT, JIU JITSU, KARATE, JUDO, AIKIDO, HABKIDO, ESKRIMA/SILAT MUAY THAI KICKBOXING, AND FENCING, HE NEVER INCORPORATED NOR STUDIED TAE KWON DO. My son trains started Jiu Jitsu a year ago, and an older kid in our neighborhood that had gone to a tae kwon do gym for 3 years, started a fight with my son while the kids played basketball at the park and my son came home and told me he backed down cause he didnt want me to get mad at him, and I said I know you dont want to get in trouble, but if he starts a fight with you again then you shoot a double leg take him down armbar him and try to break his arm. Well the next day sure enough the kid from the tae kwon do gym tried to push my son around and my son did exactly what I told him to do and he said the kid was crying and screaming. My son did not break his arm, however I was told by my son and his friends that the kid came to school with his arm in a sling, He apologized to my son and his parents pulled him out of tae kwon do and have enrolled him at Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu jitsu where we train. He will begin training in a week or two after his sprained elbow has recovered.

• Me
    meandyou2 Sep 10, 2010

WOW What a friggen’ liar. Ms. Schizophrenic's last post really proves that she is, in fact, schizophrenic. I know the Preira's personally and their “baby" is NOT paralyzed. The husband NEVER shook him. In fact, they are STILL married. And they have since had a second child. At this point, everyone should know what a friggen’ psycho and schizophrenic (in her own words) she really is. That she could even concoct a story of this caliber is really disturbing. That she would NEED to make up such a thing to get people on her side is unnerving. I feel bad for her and so should all of you. Holy Crap. I can’t believe I just read that…

• Ha
    Hanshi Sep 11, 2010

Funny, I just saw Lucas (Master Preira's son) two weeks ago and he was running around playing in his office. Paralyzed?! Wow, all these posts just to entertain a looney tune.

The only sad thing about all this is you pressed charges on a kid you put your's in his place.

20 years from now please remember that YOU are the reason why your son grew into a worthless loser.

• Ha
    Hanshi Sep 11, 2010

Gracie Barra jiu jitsu for life...don't waiste your time. You are dealing with a loser. Believe me, I met this woman and she is a total basket case. Her son's master instructor should have dumped the kid years ago because he was a disruptive little brat but he felt bad about the kid's family situation and home life so he kept the kid as a student and tried to help him. So much for trying to do a good deed...

• Tr
    Trevor is now a proud father a baby boy Oct 13, 2010

That other person posting under the original poster not the same person as the one who wrote the part about him shaking the baby. It was obvious written by someone who wants to make her look foolish(maybe the instructor himself, ) or someone trying to get your attention. Or maybe one of you wrote it to make her look bad. But if you click on the person who commented about her shaking the baby, and the person who wrote this letter she is not the same person(unless she created another account with the same username)

• Om
    oman111 Oct 13, 2010

I don't know this child myself, however you don't strike a child no matter how much of a smartass he is. Also the way he handled it was obviously not proper. However this is not the first time that this instructor struck a child, nor has it been the first time he was charged.

• Om
    oman111 Oct 13, 2010

BTW I talked to the admin because I suspected that Hanshi and meandyou2 are the same person and they told me that they were (or at least they have the same IP address.)

• Ra
    randall blair Nov 18, 2012

no matter the situation the instructor should have never touched the kid im a 4th degree certified instructor and a boxing couch for 1 the instructor is a jerk 2 self control was lacking 3 why is he sharing his personal life with children 4 if the child was asked to quit and continued push ups are a great for kids to learn respect 5 why does that instructor not teach these basic values 6 the most important the kids 11 if i was the kids dad id be proud of the actions that were taken hes an awesome dad and he is a great person thumbs up to him for being better than the jerk that hit his son but me on the other hand the first time i called and no answer i would have showed up drug him out on the mat and showed him how it feels to be humiliated by someone much bigger

• Df
    dfsje Jan 14, 2019

Sexual harassment is unacceptable in Taekwondo. I was a new blue belt in 1992 and the head instructor a 4th degree black belt decided that he was not only going to violate my person boundaries but demolish them. I was basically held hostage for 14 1/2 hours by a 4th degree that used his position and belt to gain unauthorized entry. My date ask how he got in, offered his father to give him a ride; however, the 4th degree refused to leave. My date and I hide in his room all night. The 4th degree had a grandiose attitude and felt superior to my date a brown belt and me. The forth degree black belt is now a 7th degree black belt, has been married over 13 years; however, continues to relentlessly harass me. I tested for my 3rd dan October20, I fought 3 of his male fighter, all half my age. The 4 fight, male, late 20s, 6'3" 210lbs. I am age 55 5'3" 135lbs. I injured a preexisting degenerative neck disease, shattered right big toe, frontal lobe concussion, PTSD trigger with disassociation, retrograde amnesia, memory lose, cognative impairment, emotional outburst, and fuzzy thinking. All the injures came form my last fight. I cried in the final test line, 2 days later at the belt ceremony, I cried, my foot, neck and shoulders where in pain, I looked down at the floor, my eyes were all puffy and my ears were ringing and I became very anxious so I did not want to be in a picture and wanted to go home. My 6th degree master stated that I desecrated the sacred ceremony. I was kicked out of my school, the entire league I have competed in for 26 years and any school who has affiliation with 7th degree. I was just informed that I did not pass my test and get my 3rd dan certificate. I kept this harassment by the 7th degree quite for 26 years. I wanted to test and wanted the drama to stop. Ladies watch out the good old boy network work together and you will be the one discarded out the door with a brain injury, shattered toe, future damage to a preexisting neck disease. Additionally, they will take what you worked so hard to accomplish my 3rd Certificate. Is the entire black belt men populations the true definition of narcissists. I guess so. They should be so proud. The worse part is that I had to put up with the harassment by the 7th degree for 26 years. Ladies, the 7th degree is ugly on the inside and unattractive on the outside. What do you do??? Insecure man who have been no where, will never go anywhere, and have no idea.