Complaints & Reviews

norton 360 with lifelock

My annual Norton 360 with LifeLock subscription was up for renewal. I clicked an email link provided by...

We refuse to pay anything

We got "free computer" scan information phone # off
computer. We were told we had over 1300 errors on our computer and the cost to remove would be $39.00.
We agreed, provided visa #. We were immediately charged $69. When we called their customer service after finding out our worked very slowly after their suppposed fix costing $69. We were charged another
$389 immediatelly on our visa card. Supposedley we
have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We areNOTt
satisfied! Customer sesrvice refuses to honor their
guarantee and we have had it 48 hours. Visa will
be contacting them on Monday as soon as they are open. We refuse to pay anything.

• Th
    Thetruthsohelpmegod Nov 26, 2011

If people didn't respond to pop up ads, there would be no pop up ads. This review is like complaining your hand hurts each time you hit it with a hammer. Enjoy your free scan.

billing

What a rip off. i went to clean my pc and they did a diagonis and of course they had a long list and to fix it I paid 339.98. Then they transfered me to cyberdefender and was told for 129.98 I could have three years of tech support. Wasn't i suprised when i was billed for three payments of 129.98 for a total of 389.97. When I called to cancel and get a refund I was told that that was not possible. There was no one for me to talk to other then this rep. They said they would do a call pull and see if I was told that it would be three payments, and I told him no one ever mentioned 389.98. Nothing can be done now except to warn others

norton blew up my flat-panel monitor

In October 2010, I purchased Norton Internet Security 2011 and installed and registered it. A few days later, it threw a message that it was expired and needed to be updated. I rebooted my computer and it worked -- life was good. Then a few more days and it once again said it was expired. On October 25, 2010, I went to Norton.com/support and found this scenario in the FAQs, indicating that it was a known problem.

At this point, I entered a chat with a support specialist (name and case number available upon request). I spent more than five hours in a chat with him, during which time he repeatedly crashed my computer. The last time, the monitor did not come up, apparently having damaged by the repeated power surges from the crashes. I hooked up a generic monitor and saw the tech's final message that "since you are not replying, I assume your problem is solved". Sorry -- no. I then called [protected] and got a tech who fixed it in about 10 minutes. I told him that they had blown up my monitor, but he neither admitted nor denied it. A few days later, I received an email from Symantec asking me to critique their "customer service". I wrote exactly what had happened, and got not so much as an apology. I wonder how many more computers or monitors this have been damaged by this defective program.

By the way, I saw an ad in yesterday's paper for "NEW Norton Internet Security 2011". Does this mean they fixed it?

lieing to comsumers

i brought a this cyber defender internet security system for them and i call about a problem they had me open a chat window and no body came to the window so i keep it open all night when i woke up the next morning no tect had work on my computer and i paid 129.00 for 2 years i waited 12 hours for a tect but never got a tect to work on my computer andi called them back and they put me on hold for hours these people should not be doing this to us that paid our money for this internet security i want my money back that i paid for this and they keep giving me the run around about this this sucks

IT'S A SCAM

Hi, I am very upset with your level of service and thoroughly disgusted with your customer service. On...

Their free virus removal hi-jacked my computer

I down loaded the free antvirus and yes it does run a scan and it does find a virus, but then they want BIG...

scam

We got "free computer" scan information phone # off computer. We were told we had over 1300 errors on our...

Don't Buy the Service

I have purchased their services in May of this year. I had to use their services but everytime it was a hassle to get their help. They tell you to give control of your computer to them and not to touch it. When you do, it sits there and nobody works on it. When you call there customer service rep, they lie to you by saying their technician is working on it when no one is even looking at it. When you call back because your computer is still not getting worked on (after several hours) they either lie to you again or hang up on you.

I am having that same trouble right now. I have been seating idle for past 4 hours and I called 5 times and been lied to 4 times and 1 hang up.

Do not get fooled by these guys.

Don't buy their services!!!

• CyberDefender Aug 19, 2010

Dear Don't Get Fooled,

This is CyberDefender customer service responding to your request.

For future reference, it would be far easier for you to obtain assistance from our company by directly contacting our customer service department, rather than by posting a complaint on a website unaffiliated with our company. We would be glad to assist you in sorting out any difficulty with your account, but we cannot locate your account based on your complaintsboard.com online name.

At any time, any dissatisfied customer can contact our corporate headquarters at 877-229-5957, or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com, and please be sure to give us your full name, date of purchase, and the email address you used when you made your purchase. We will be happy to assist you.

The reason our technicians ask for you to leave your computer on and just leave it alone during a remote session is because a customer can inadvertently change or block a technician's work if the customer is using the computer at the same time as the remote repair session. Think of it this way -- would it be possible to take your car on a road trip and have a mechanic is change its oil at the same time? Our technicians must have full access to your computer, with no data being changed by another user, in order to repair it.

Also, simply because you cannot see the technician working does not mean that the technician isn't working. For example, if the tech is removing a rogue antivirus from your computer, that tech will be working at the level of your program files, probably using a command line interface, so you will most likely not be able to see the work being done just by looking at the screen. Much of our technicians' work goes on "behind the scenes" of what is readily apparent on your computer's screen, which is why you oftentimes won't be able to see it.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly at 877-229-5957 if you require any further assistance.

CyberDefender Customer Service

Don't pay tech! Use this.

I purchased Cyber Defender a couple of weeks ago to replace a out of date software. First they didn't give me my activation code and I had to call for support. The Techie at the other end proceeded to tell me that my computer was so riddled with spyware, viruses, malware, etc. that it was going to cost about $300 to fix it. Whatever. I insisted until he e-mailed me the activation code. I installed and activated then turned the computer off. During re-start, I hit F8 and entered windows in safe networking mode. I ran Cyber Defender and cleaned out all of the crap and made sure to delete it while still in safe mode. Close Cyber Defender and restart normally. Voila. Took about 15 mins. This scam that preys on the non computer savvy is disgusting! When I called to complain the man on the other end just laughed and said "yeah, well at least you're happy". There has got to be an industry that regulates this or at least there should be!

• CyberDefender Aug 23, 2010

Hi Jldillon,

On behalf of CyberDefender Corporation, we would like to take a moment to express both our gratitude for your business, as well as our pleasure that CyberDefender product(s) are helping ensure your computer is operating at its full potential.

While it is certainly up to each individual customer as to whether or not they would like to include Premium Technical Support with their purchase, it should be known that these packages do not limit support to CyberDefender Corporation products, rather provide universal computer support for an extremely wide variety of issues and brands. Customers can expect their Help Desk technician to go through an easy step-by-step resolution for any problem ranging from spyware and viruses to printer and network issues, to something such as setting up an iPod. Moreover, our representatives can run a complete diagnosis of a customer's computer system, identify, and purge any malware-related threats present on their computer. The idea of having a personal computer technician available by phone 7 days a week to assist in real-time with any computer issues that may arise has proven quite appealing to the thousands of clients which elect to purchase a Premium Technical Support package with CyberDefender.

It is always appreciated when customers (especially tech-savvy ones such as yourself) help spread the word on our products and how our software can help maximize your computer's efficiency. At any time, they are welcome to contact our Customer Service center toll-free at 866-793-0454, or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com.

CyberDefender Customer Service

Bad service

On May 24, 2910 I downloaded the trial version of CyberDefender under the impression that it would find and delete malicious viruses, you know, do something useful. After running their scan for about 8 hours it found 45 ads or cookies or similar. It found no viruses.

I called their phone number which keeps popping up on the screen (this is VERY annoying)and asked them why it not only did not remove spyware but it did not remove any viruses at all. They told me I had to purchase the program to detect and remove any malicious viruses. I asked what good is the trial version? They really just him hawed about the bush. I would have purchased their software if the trial version had detected and removed any malicious viruses but it did not. I consider their trial version worthless and they have lost a customer.

• Al
    Alex19 Oct 13, 2009

Baje e instale el programa y realmente me gusto y pense que servia, estuve a punto comprarlo por la cantidad de 29.99us pero una amiga me dijo que mi proveedor e internet (Prodigy) estaba regalando un spyware lo baje e instale y funciono muy bien, mi sorpesa fue cuando quise desistalar el famoso Cyber defender no pude por ningun medio...es una basura...un fraude total...este programa te direcciona a otras paginas para comprar ciertar ofertas de tiendas y asi hacerte el cargo a tu tarjeta de credito...afortunadamente no lo compre...ahora estoy respaldando mi info y tendre que formatear mi compu...snif¡

• CyberDefender May 25, 2010

On behalf of CyberDefender Corporation, we apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered with our products and services. We are dedicated to giving our customers an optimum experience, and would be happy to work with you to solve any difficulties with your refund. Please feel free to contact our corporate headquarters at 866-793-0454 or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com.

The worst antivirus software

I purchase cyberDefender after hearing a recommendations from Leo the Tech-Guy from a popular radio station. My toughts and hopes where to improve my computer's performance and after installing CyberDefender my computer only got worst. After speaking to a few computer technitians. (Bob Hatton from Marcomm Media and Joseph Advento from JBA Networks in San Diego, California) they both told me thatCyberDefender, far from being a software that will improve my computer its a virus and spyware from CyberDefender and design to steal your personal data in order for this bloodsuckers to make contact with you and persuade you to use more of their services.

My advise to all of you! Stay away from CyberDefender. Its spyware. They will not refund your money. Its a total fraud.

• Bi
    Billiam() Apr 09, 2011

I have seen this virus identify Nero burning ROM as a virus, I have also seen it identify A C D and E drive on a Linux os machine and offier to clean the virus(s) that it found

double billing

AFTER PURCHASING NORTON ANTI VIRUS PROTECTION ON LINE, I NOTICED ON MY CREDIT CARD THE AMT. OF $49.99. I DID...

you charged me twice!!!

I want you to refund my account ! you took out of my Debit card twice for my virus protection! and fraud ha...

killed my computer and took over 265 dollars from me

On 5/1/09 i decided to purchase cyberdefender online it cost $65.00 i then installed and ran the program then when i pressed delete detected viruses my whole computer screen turned black and i tried to reboot the laptop and all i get now is a blinking curser on the top left corner of the screen the program ate the hard drive. I then called cyber defender and told them what happened and they said if i get the windows vista cd they can fix my cpu from outside and then they wld fix it and reinburse my 65 but then charged me 200 dollars for fix something did not seem right so I contacted my cpu comany and the told me it wasd a scam so if you make the mistake of downloading that program call your bank right away before your money disappears.

total scam

Started out trying to download Avast free home security program, had problems so looked for tel# for customer...

Got Scamed

I first made the mistake in ordering for the clean up of two (2) more computers than I needed from the way their ordering form was set-up. When I finally reached some one in support with regards to my problem, they gave me a number to call. They then looked over my computer and told me I had major issues with my computer system which would cost me $199.00 more for one year to first elimanate then to control. I told them that I didn't have the money at that time but I would the following day. I told them I would call them the next day or if I didn' t they should call me, which they never did. I tried calling their financial department at least three (5) times that day and at least (4) times more the following three(3) days but kept getting the run around by their computer. I never once talked to a live person. I eventially chalked up the loss. Within two weeks I received their disk in the mail. It has been sitting on my mantel ever since. I just looked at my bank statement and they charged me $14.95 for something that I am not even using. Where is the justice in that.

• Cr
    crazykeys Mar 24, 2009

I also have a problem with reaching a live person. They over billed me. They are fast to take your money but not to fix the billing problem. If I do not hear from them (after 2 days of calling) I will reach the corparate office.

Unauthorized billing

I needed a anti virus for my computer this cyber defender offered a free download when I continued with my order it actually was 29.99 I did agree to that but when they actually billed my credit card it was 64.95 I have tried numerous times over the last week to contact them and have gotten no where they have not returned e mails or a call I even tried to chat with there representative and was disconnected.

• Pa
    Patrick1984 May 03, 2009

i did the same thing but i got a hold of them said they wld reinburse but ill see if they dont theyll have hell to pay.

Fraud and scam

I bought the Norton 360 anti-virus from Fry's electronics. I already had the Norton anti-virus on my machine (Vista) that came pre-installed. The license had expired. They have a $20 mail in rebate for upgrades. The instructions for previous owners of pre-loaded (OEM) software products are as follows:

1. Go to the help/About screen in your pre-loaded software
2. ..
3. Scrn print
4. Send the printed image of the help/About screen

Now, the old norton anti-virus does not even have a help/About screen. On clicking help, it goes to the help screen without any information of the product etc.

This is a SCAM - watch out, you will most likely miss these instructions or you will give up searching for the help/About screen. Even if you do manage to find the help screen, they may reject it as there is no definition of what the help/About should look like. Fortunately I did not open the software and will be returning it.

unauthorized annual renewal

Charge for Norton annual renewal [protected] CA, Plan Name PPLNO1 is erroneous. I no longer have this on my...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices