Sunset Travelscam

This is a scam... Phones are never answered, emails rarely replied to... Georgina will not honour the cooling off agreement and will not give a reason... I have submitted a complaints form with the qld govt and sent the required documents that I have on the subject... Also in the process of filing a complaint with the bank... Do not deal with this company...* be warned *

More Sunset Travel Complaints & Reviews

• In
    inquiringminds Apr 29, 2015

fyi = there are two companies named Sunset Travel - one is Sunset Travel LTD out of the UK,
    are these companies the same?

• Jp
    jpeeze Jun 29, 2014

Shonky from start to finish... I sent them a spreadsheet of the cheaper prices by a mile on a couple of holidays they were quoting for that I could find myself rather than the exorbitant quote they gave me back in 2011 and once again the Motels/Hotels had not heard of them. On one deal they priced for me I could get the same $500 less by doing it myself, and cross I actually got sucked in at a time that I was busy with work and thought this would be an easier option. How wrong I could was. Just checking back now to see if indeed they were still getting complaints...I sincerely hope they are in receivership and didnt take the easy way out with bankruptcy which would enable them to probably start up again elsewhere.

jan borrie Jun 26, 2013

I was contacted by this company offering discount flights and accommodation .
    I advised them that I would call them back and asked for their contact number, when I rang they answered as sunset travel, which I thought, ok this is not a scam, and they had all the names of my friends that had joined as well, I contacted my friends and they confirmed that they had joined as well, so again no alarm bells .
    When they called back I agreed and paid the amount $283.00, they emailed all the confirmation details to me, so all good, so I thought .
    when I tried to book flights I got no answer from the emails or phone calls, then the last email I sent, I received an email from Tegan, who advised that the travel company had gone into receiver ship, although they would honour all vouchers .
    when I went to book they gave me quote for the holiday I wanted to book, it was $2000.00, when I advised the agent that I had an email to advised that all vouchers would be honoured, the agent advised this cost was for booking fees, Taxes, insurance cost ect
    This company may also be a scam they act under the name of EZYTRAVEL, so be careful all, I would not go near this company either

• Sh
    SHONKY BIZ Sep 27, 2012

BE AWARE: Sunset travel marketers tell you you can travel anywhere in Australia WRONG you can only travel to certain parts then pay additional fees for the rest of the airfare they forget to mention the additional $80 booking fee luggage fee credit card surcharge oo and not to forget to redeem 2 air fare tickets u must pay for a minimum of 7 nights accommodation with a minimum starting price of $75 per person per night so these so called $56 airfare tickets have now have cost you over $1100 for 2 people wow such a great deal LOL Honestly Sunset Travel Get REAL Contact the ACCC if you have been conned [protected]

• Ip
    IP BNE Sep 17, 2012

17 Sep 12 IP

We had a win against this company through office of fair trading in QLD. We have been refunded our money. The poor trainee staff was blamed for misinforming us. It's a shame because we like to support small businesses but unfortunately some don't do the right thing and they create a bad reputation for other small businesses. As it turned out, we have got a great deal by dealing with the hotel directly. We have saved ourselves a siginificant amount of money. The important lessons we have learnt are: never to deal with companies that ring us, research the company on websites like this, deal directly with the hotels and airlines and most importantly if something sounds too good to be true then it ain't.

• Da
    DarinWA Jul 23, 2012

Do you own research, ask them for a quote for a hotel, then do yours. Those flights ain't cheap. Limited hotel choice, very expensive. Then it's so hard to cancel even within the cooling off period, well at least they called me back only to abuse me.

• Xh
    Xhanah Jun 06, 2012

Thank you to all who have posted on this site. I too was offered an extremely cheap package that was too good to be true. I however rang one of the hotels listed on the sunset travel website and having spoken to them directly they urged caution as they hadn't heard of this company. They were the ones who directed me to the complaints board website. Thankfully my money will stay in my pocket and I wont be scammed.

• Mb
    mbluebell Apr 02, 2012

Intellectualgiant, I am flattered that the reason you joined this discussion was to point out that I am stupid. The complaints board is designed to be constructive in helping people, and you are not being helpful. It was my bank who advised me to not open my email, and therefore I would have a 90 day period in which I could dispute a purchase that I had received nothing for. If you like I can give you their number, and you can ring and tell them that they are stupid also. But luckily I won't have to dispute anything because I was SMART enough to block my card before it was debited. Similar to the message I have just sent you, I am still waiting for you, opps, I mean them, to ring and tell me my card has been declined, just like any other reputable business would. I look forward to any other thoughts you may have on this matter.

• In
    IntellectualGiant Apr 02, 2012

Dear MBluebell regardless of whether you open your email or not you still gave them your credit card details!!! They can legally do what they like with them now providing they are used only to purchase this product you agreed to. Seriously you are stupid and deserve to be ripped off!!!

• Mb
    mbluebell Mar 27, 2012

This agent contacted me 5 days ago and I agreed to a package, but they still haven't debited my credit card! Is this because they are waiting for the 10 day cooling off period and the fact that I haven't opened my email with the supposed accommodation vouchers, and therefor can't actually charge me for anything legally until I do. They are very sneaky. Alarm bells everywhere with this company. Dodge blurry pictures on the website are a giveaway. I have never seen a reputable manager sign off with nothing more than "manager". Give us your name, manager, or should I say your real name! To all reading this, alert as many people as you can, that this is a scam.

• Di
    DinkyAussie Mar 19, 2012

BS company, using innocent victims to target their friends and family for their own profit and you get nothing in return! Another "pyramid scheme" Accommodation prices are almost DOUBLE what you would pay if you go it alone, they NEVER return calls or emails and obviously make their money when people get sick and tired of dealing with them and don't redeem their flights! Stupid woman that conned me into it over the phone assured me I could use the air tickets without accommodation, when I asked to see something, paperwork etc she couldn't give me anything until I paid for it! STUPID ME!! Warning to others - AVOID SUNSET TRAVEL LIKE THE PLAGUE THAT THEY ARE! Lucky I didn't let her bully me into buying more than ONE pack!!!

• Om
    $omewhat $addened Mar 16, 2012

Mr Anonymous Manager. When I received your product it was completely different to the one I purchased. I was conned and/or lied to. That is a fact. I also complained well within this overly important 10 day period that you're grasping as your saviour. I too am "somewhat saddened" that you are more "concerned" about the negative statements then what you are in conducting an ethical business. It is very easy to not get bad feedback. Just do the right thing.

• Su
    Sunset Travel Mar 14, 2012

As the Manager of Sunset Travel. I am concerned (and somewhat saddened) to read such statements made on a website like this.

As a fully licensed Travel Agency, it's true that we must comply to the Australian Consumer Law in regards to how we sell our product (Flights and Accommodation) and deal with Complaints.

As a result of our Complete Compliance, we have a very good business relationship with the Justice Department (Office of Fair Trading, Consumer Affairs, ACCC) and its affiliates.

If you are outside your 10 day cooling off period and no longer want your package, under the Law Sunset Travel is not required to give you a refund, if it has complied to the Law.

It is considered a change of mind, under the Law.

If small businesses gave refunds to every purchaser that had a change of heart, it would cause small businesses to go under and with the loss of jobs, ruin the economy.

It is with this mind, that the Australian Consumer Law covers small businesses like Sunset Travel.

If you are inside your 10 day cooling off period and you no longer wish to purchase your package, then you are entitled to cancel by contacting Sunset Travel and going through the Complaints Department accordingly for a refund.

Whilst all individual situations are different, I am disappointed with those who have been denied under the Law (and by the Office of Fair Trading) have taken their concerns to a website like this, not only making derogative comments about our companies legitimacy, but libellous opinions about its employees and Management.

I recommend to each and every one of you with concerns, to deal with those in the appropriate manner by contacting Sunset Travel and it's Management on [email protected]

We look forward to assisting you.

Manager.
    Sunset Travel.

• Tr
    travel travesty Mar 02, 2012

I was assured in two seperate phone calls that it was not compulsory to book accomodation at all to use the flight vouchers. I was also told that I would receive 4 flight vouchers but only received 2. It took two months to receive anything in the mail after I paid and I complained immediately on receiving it. They told me that the 10 day cooling off period had expired even though the information package took 2 months to get to me. To use the package I must spend at least $1000 each time. It's robbery. They say unrealistic things like their "hands are tied". The company is unethical and dishonest. I will never use the product they gave me as I will never deal with the company. They have theived off me as far as I'm concerned.

CharlieDd Feb 17, 2012

If you paid by credit card ring your bank for a transaction dispute form I got all my money back. Try to reason with sunset travel all by email and get a copy of your phone records and submit them with dispute form act quick because there's a time frame you need to stick to good luck

• Oz
    Oz pride Feb 17, 2012

Oh this makes me feel sick reading this, i have also been scammed. Stupid stupid stupid me!! i signed up to it doing it as a surprise for my husband and ended up with a $2500 debt, a right surprise for the both of us! I have reported it to the QLD Office of Fair Trading and also ACCC. I hope they get what is coming to them, i read the terms and conditions. They offer return airfares at no cost, with the provision that you have to book 7 nights accommodation thats fine, I agreed to it all good...did some further investigations, yeah right the friggin airfare price is included in the charges of the accommodation which is charged on a 100% markup of the regular hotel rate, I understand they have to recoup the money of the airfares somewhere but a 100% mark-up! GET REAL! I was still in the cooling off period of my contract also and guess what Georgina is always busy and will NEVER ring back, well guess what Georgina and co, you have been busted and ACCC will be knocking on your door VERY SOON! I dont know how people like you can sleep at night, knowing you are ripping innocent people off. People I beg of you all, if you have been treated badly, report it to the office of fair trading and ACCC do not hesitate it may help one more person becoming a victim and losing money like we did also!

• Xx
    xxcon Jan 20, 2012

Ask your Boss if he is a bankrupt i have good resources that he is shonky shonky business not even a company as i said ACCC and the Dept of Fair Trading are looking into this scam artists and there staff are in on it to

CharlieDd Jan 18, 2012

Yes definitely a scam they call u offer cheap flights not mentioning anything about accommodation then send u an email without there business name so it gets spammed as junk mail on your end. Then bang got u cooling off period is over sorry management has declined refund however we are willing to give u a further 2 more flight packages for free for the inconvenience so we can rip u off some more on the accommodation. Don't be a fool use your local travel agent.

• Cu
    Current Employ Dec 16, 2011

To ex employ, i am a current full time employee and have worked for them for 3 years. I can tell you that no full time employee(and there are many) have ever left the company, as it is professionally run, licensed Travel Agents in QLD and NSW, members of the Travel Compensation Fund and a great company to work for. You have obviously have sour grapes and another agenda, and it is 100% sure that you would have been sacked because of your attitude and lack of sales ability. I have personally seen the testimonials from hundreds of happy clients, its just a few that are unhappy that put an unwarranted shadow on this fantastic company. You can't please everyone. Shame on you.

• Ex
    ex employ Nov 28, 2011

This is a scam the owner is a bankrupt who has no idea of running a business i have worked there and got out with in a week shonky shonky

• Oz
    ozl Oct 06, 2011

I agree this company is a disgrace I have rang I donn't know how many times, have sent emails With no reply
    I brought a large holiday package and can not use it, I have no address But I am working on it
    I to will lodge a complaint with the right authorities Thanks to the first person complaint
    Anyone with this Address please reply

• Ha
    happy holidayer Aug 29, 2011

in the companys defense i have been a member for 3 years now, they are a licenced travel agent and a registered business, that have looked after my holiday plans on over half a dozen occasions... to those who use boards like these to sabotage buisiness's reputations you should be ashamed of yourselfs, as your not being helpful ur being a nuisance...
    SERIOUSLY BEFORE PURCHASEING ANYTHING, DO UR RESEARCH AND LISTEN TO WHAT UR BEING TOLD BEFORE PURCHASEING, THERE ARE CERTAIN TERMS AND CONDITIONS THAT ARE BEING DISCLOSED TO YOU, TAKE THE TIME TO LISTEN BEFORE RUNNING DOWN A LICENSED BUSINESS THATS PROVIDEING A SERVICE, THAT IM quite happy with... happy holdayer, w.a

• Pa
    paulinemia Aug 25, 2011

i agree with all the complainants...georgina WILL NOT REFUND my money...or answer my phone calls or my emails...i am currently dealing with the bank and the qld govt to try and get a refund...if you paid by credit card the bank will get you to fill in a form and on your behalf, they will investigate...