Speeddate.comSCAM billing did not subscribe to it

C

I did not subscribe to Speeddate.com. I have received my bank statement and have a charge on my checking account for a total of $65.97 on 7/07/10. I have incurred NSF of $36.00 and $10.00 overdraft fee as well. I did the 3 day trial for the .99 cents/day. Legally I do owe the $2.97 on (7/06/10) + $.99 (7/08/10) = $3.96. However, I was billed for 65.97 on 7/07/10, if I had subscribed, why would I do the .99 cent charge on 7/08/10. I am going to take legal action for this to be refunded to my checking account. I spoke a representative named Rochell who stated that if I did not cancel this, then after 3 days, it would automatically charge my account. I did not agree to this and will go to the new's, post oll over the internet, and speak with my attorney. Speeddate.com is nothing but a scam and stealing from innocent people is wrong.

Sandra Beach Jul 31, 2014

SpeedDate promised that I could
    have a trial membership
    for only 99 cents with absolutely no further obligation. When I authorized 99 cents for a trial membership, they automatically charged me for $155 and some cents. I didn't know about the charge for $155 until my ATM debit card was refused and I had no money or gas to go to work.

I have been wrangling with my bank to get the money back, but SpeedDate has crooked lawyers that sent fraudulent paperwork to my bank claiming that the charge was legal.

I live near one of the largest FBI offices in America and I am going to pursue criminal fraud charges against the company, it's principals and it's crooked attorneys. I suggest that everyone who has been ripped off by SpeedDate visit the FBI and forget about the BBB which is a corporate sham.

• Sp
    speeddatesh1t Sep 15, 2011

I agree with all of the above. The point is that in their terms and conditions that there is a non-refund policy. However this just makes them to not ever be at fault, even when it comes to their own billing "mistakes". I think this is the worst company in terms of all the speed dating associated apps. They can justify having bots, and for all these billing mistakes across the web. I'm gonna see if their terms and conditions hold up in court when their service has been crap. I think false advertising should in itself deserve a refund.

• Bu
    Buddles Jul 17, 2011

@skepticalsally
    The days of fine print should be long gone. The customer should not have to read a lengthy terms of service before using the free features of a site. This is clearly a bad billing practice at the least. This is the only dating site I have come across that bills automatically that you use their service with no warning. If you pay the $3.95 for a security verification and then try their chat system which they offer freely, you automatically get billed $165+. In my country by law there has to be clear and obvious marking of prices and purchase conditions, and all on line companies have to comply with the same. You only need to compare the site with that of Zoosk and RSVP and other legitimate dating sites: they do not bill you until you volunteer the funds explicitly and have been notified that you are about to spend money. Any on-line company that does not do this clearly deserves the label 'scam' and should be prosecuted for illegal billing practices and false advertising at the minimum. I suppose you are an investor or related to the owners :)

• Ho
    Hollar43 Jun 23, 2011

How can I enjoy the service without subscription or get my subscription paid for me?

• Bi
    billbraden Jun 11, 2011

Yes speeddate is a ripoff. Contact your bank immediately if you used a check or debit card. I was able to get all my money back through the bank. How they rip you off is by getting your financial information first and then after you pick the plan and then it defaults to the most expensive plan! ...your financial institution or credit card company should be able to help you... Best of luck to all...

• Ra
    Randm May 19, 2011

Lure you in to buying a membership w/ false adv. then refuse to refund money.

• De
    DeeprBlue Mar 22, 2011

addendum to prior post: The only solution short of not having my debit card for a week (or more) is to call back and ...very...nicely...ask...that they ...please...stop charging my account---which is what I just did. This time I spoke to a Richard and he was "happy to cancel my 'subscription' ". My "subscription"...? Ughh.
    So, there it is. The quick and dirty way to end it but this is how they make their money, off of people like ME who are disabled and tired and sick and unable to go through the extended mental battle with them. DON'T be like ME.

• De
    DeeprBlue Mar 22, 2011

The exact same thing has happened to ME. I just looked very thoroughly through my last 3 months Bank statements and they've charged me misc. fees for WHAT?? The site that referred me to them (for points) was www.mypoints.com, which I've used for many years. MyPoints.com has my credit card/debit card info but am I supposed to believe that THEY gave...my # to SpeedDate?
    I was argued with and even patronized by the rep at speeddate.com just now when I called demanding my money be refunded. NOPE. AND, they said there is no way they would've charged me if I had not SIGNED UP. Well, I DID NOT sign up for any SPEED DATING. I merely went to this site to gain points for visiting it as I do many sites and I 've never had my financial records compromised before from this hobby with mypoints.com.
    So now I have to call the bank...get a NEW debit card...UGHHHHH...and fill out all of the bank forms for, yes, a mere $5 or -$7 BUT that adds up and the bank can just get my money back.
    SPEED DATE IS A CYBER CRIMINAL AND they're bullies to beat.

• Sk
    skepticalsally Aug 10, 2010

Before you waste your time... For any service or website like that, you have to agree to the terms and conditions. Likely, the terms and conditions stated that after 3 days on the site you would be charged the $65.97 if you did not opt out of the service (Remember Columbia House Records anyone?) You are wasting your time bringing legal action against them; just learn your lesson and read the T+C.