Solid Oak WarehouseSimply terrible

J

Ordered a solid oak dining table and matching chairs from their website "solidoakwarehouse.co.uk". Had problems with delivery, with the table which had cracks in it and with the chairs (not matching). I insisted on returning all the goods to them and demanded a full refund which they said was no problem. This was almost 3 weeks ago. We call daily to be told there is nobody that can deal with our claim, all the management and accountants are in the Far East and that there is no immediate return date.

More Solid Oak Warehouse Complaints & Reviews

• Fu
    Furniture Reviewer Nov 03, 2009

If you do a search around on Google you will find a long list of people that are not happy with the service and quality of the furniture offered by solid oak warehouse. The tables are cracked as there is still lots of moisture in the oak when its made into furniture and the cracks will only get worse over time in a warm and dry centrally heated home. Hardly a sign of a good quality manufacturer as all the wood should be kiln dried properly. The leather chairs that they offer are also a very poor quality with plastic looking leather and hardly any padding. They also give you the impression that the furniture is made in Europe or even in the UK! Wrong, its made in China. If you have a problem with your order or want a refund then expect a long wait! AVOID www.solidoakwarehouse.co.uk !! If you are buying online you always need to do your research and make sure that the company you are dealing with has come credible customer feedback.. I've struggled to find any positive comments about this company other than those written by the company themselves!

• Ha
    Harold Williams Aug 01, 2010

I have to disagree. I went to various solid oak companies and this was the only company that had actual solid oak products. I ordered a table+8 chairs and a sideboard and the quality is great.

I was quoted 2-8 weeks for delivery and it arrived on about the 6th week. I had a problem with 1 of the chairs and solid oak were extremely helpful, they replied to my email within a few hours and a replacement was organised. No hassle.

I don't know how solid oak warehouse used to be but the company i dealt with was efficient, polite, replied to emails and phone calls and exchanged the chair without any hassles. Would I buy from them again?

• Dt
    DTB1 Aug 15, 2010

I had the most terrible and distressing experience with Solid Oak Warehouse and to tell you the truth, I'm surprised they are still trading. I ordered a dining room table and chairs from them and was promised delivery within 8 weeks. I had no correspondence from the company and I telephoned; e-mailed and did what I could to get a delivery date but it just caused more grief. To cut a long story short- my table eventually arrived but I was told the chairs weren't available and that another delivery date would be arranged. My 6 chairs arrived after 14 weeks but to my horror- they were the wrong chairs. I had had so much grief that I made sure I opened the boxes before the driver left- the code was written on the box but the code in no way corresponded with the same coded chairs on the webiste, at the time. The poor driver didn't know quite what to do but did indicate that 'this happens often'. It appeared that he had dealed with many an unhappy customer in the past.

I must have spent in excess of 10 hours on the phone and e-mailed more than two dozen times to the company. Each time I tried to speak to Michael, I was told he was 'out of the country, in China'. I sat with 3 huge boxes in my house for 6 months, with chairs I didn't want. I was promised compensation by Michael in lieu of all the distress and hassle. That never arrived either and Michael never contacted me back.

I wrote to Trading Standards and copied all the e-mail correspondence so that they were aware.

Save yourself a whole lot of trouble and NEVER BUY FROM SOLID OAK WAREHOUSE! And if you do, be prepared for loads of ludicrous excuses for why your furniture hasn't arrived (the best one we got was the ship was in a storm and the container was lost at sea!!) . I eventually cut my losses because I just couldn't ctontinue with all the distress it was causing.

• Ir
    Irene Donaldson Aug 27, 2010

I have to disagree as I have had nothing but great service. They have a new customer service manager, in fact all the staff seems to have changed and they reply to emails, phone calls, the website has changed and they even have videos showing how to open a table. Whatever happened before is not how they are run now.

I bought a bespoke table, sideboard and chairs and i was promised 10-14 weeks delivery. Actually I got it about week 15, but the 10-14 weeks is an estimate anyway and DFS sometimes take 6 months to make a sofa, so its not that bad.

I got everything at a great price from the showroom, a free mirror as promised and an english guy spoke to me regarding the delivery (Jason?) but he was a nice guy and in fact everyone I spoke to was nice.

I had an order with oak furniture land but after the 4th table being faulty i gave up and tried this company and they didn't let me down.

Well done!

• Ir
    Irene Donaldson Aug 27, 2010

Quote "the best one we got was the ship was in a storm and the container was lost at sea!!"

Its true! This did happen. Look on WIKI. Every year 10, 000 containers are lost at sea. This did really happen and instead of refunding everyone, we remade everything, got it shipped over again and delivered and 99% of the customers were happy with the service, what other company would do that?

• Mi
    Michaelll Oct 02, 2010

A FURNITURE trader based in Ilkeston has been given a community service order after his internet company was found to supply products that failed to comply with fire safety regulations.

Xiao Fei Cheng, 29, managing director of Harreds International Ltd, which trades under the name Solid Oak Warehouse, based on Hallam Fields Road, Ilkeston, was sentenced at Derby Magistrate's Court.

Cheng received a 150-hour community service order to be carried out over 12 months and was ordered to pay 5, 951 prosecution costs.

Cheng had already pleaded guilty to four charges at Derby Magistrates, Court on February 4.

They included one charge of possession to supply dining room chairs with a cover material that did not pass the tests specified in the Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations 1988 and one charge of engaging in misleading commercial practices under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 in relation to the false description of some chairs as "real leather".

The upholstery from 750 chairs will be destroyed but the wooden frames will be used in African development projects.

• Mi
    Michelle111 Oct 16, 2010

My names Michelle and I ordered a dinning suite. A brand new table and 4 showroom chairs. I got a great price and everything delivered 2 weeks later as promised. Brilliant!

• Ge
    Gerald67 Oct 21, 2010

No problems at all for me. Dining set looks lovely. I am an old person and some companies are not very friendly but everyone was very polite and nice to deal with. I will recommend you to my friends.

• Gi
    Giles_1965 Oct 25, 2010

My name is Giles. I phoned them last week twice to check their company on company house because the details have changed at the bottom of the website. The manager told me they have been established 3 years and the website looks very good. Before I buy something I want to check the company out first as I got stung before on a sofa and lost about £1000.

This is what I found:

Harreds International Ltd - was dissolved in May 2009.

Solid Oak Warehouse Ltd - company was incorporated in May 2009 and they haven't filed any accounts yet, they have incurred two county court judgements in September/October 2010, neither of which are registered as paid yet. There is also a current proposal to strike off as they are late filing their first return.

M Range Global Ltd - again only formed in May 2010 so very little info avaialble, no court action against them but probably aren't using this company to trade out of yet anyway.

So, all looks a bit iffy.

Think I will buy some oakfurnitureland instead.

• So
    Solid Oak Manager Oct 25, 2010

I work at Solid Oak and believe we have some of the finest solid oak products online. We have some great customer feedback on our website too.

If you do have any complaints or problems, please contact us, we will try everything to help.

Regards

Solid Oak Manager

• Wh
    Whereismymoney? Jan 24, 2011

Worse service EVER! Paid for goods June 2010. Still no furniture by September 2010, so cancelled my order. I was told I would have a refund within 30 days. Its now Jan 2011 and guess what? Still no refund. I have phoned, emailed, spoke to everyone in the company, cheque was posted, lost, cancelled, posted again, card details given, still no refund.

DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY, THEY ARE DODGY!!! I will now go trading standards!

My xmas ruined, and I still have no money to buy a table!

Joan-L Feb 05, 2011

I have no problems with Solid Oak Warehouse. I placed the order via the showroom. I was given an estimate delivery time. I got an email confirmation within 48 hours as promised. I was phoned again and given a delivery time. I got a call an hour before delivery and got the furniture. All delivered as promised and without any hassle. Great stuff!

Mary and Joseph love Oak Feb 07, 2011

I went to their showroom yesterday, bought an ex-display table and 6 leather chairs for a really good price (£200 cheaper than another shop I looked at). I have a delivery estimate of 3-4 weeks but the service in the showroom and the staff were superb.

• To
    tobyleroneloveschocolate Feb 08, 2011

Bought a dining set with a table and 2 benches. No problem at all with the quality. Delivered by an eastern european chap, nice guy. So no problems at all with my order.

• To
    tobyleroneloveschocolate Feb 08, 2011

Great!

• Am
    Amars Aday Feb 08, 2011

Good table

• Sc
    scotland100 Feb 13, 2011

this company is a total disgrace! please do not use them!!! we ordered a dining set and dresser from them in Sept 2010 and following non delivery were promised a refund. This was total fiction as we are STILL waiting despite numerous telephone calls and "promises" of payment by recorded delivery. Total blatant lies - DO NOT USE!!!

• Zi
    zigmoon Feb 15, 2011

i agree stay away from this company i ordered a dining table and six chairs just over a year ago about 3 months later the table started getting huge cracks on the top after a lot of calls and emails they finally changed the table and guess what happened with the replacement? yes the same thing has happened again they now tell me that the replacement table [ brand new ] has only a 3 month warranty i have forwarded pictures to show how bad there furniture is i am now waiting to see if they will consider changing this again or will be taking legal action, i can not reiterate enough to stay away from these people just look at the pictures attached i rest my case paul

• Li
    linda_1975 Feb 16, 2011

Excellent. love my solid oak dining set
    Good Web Site easy to use, Order arrived on time. Excellent Service. I am very pleased with my dining set. I would not hesitate to recommend solidoakwarehouse to anyone.

• Ju
    Julie T Feb 17, 2011

I bought a sideboard and I was really surprised how good the quality is. It is solid oak and I have been looking around for something like this for about 6 months and this company were the cheapest by far. I bought it from the showroom in Ilkeston and the sales woman was very friendly and delivery took place as scheduled. No problems at all.

Would I buy from this company again? Yes.

• Ps
    p.susan Feb 20, 2011

I brought a solid oak suite from solid oak warehouse 8 months ago, sales staff absolutely fantastic not pushy at all and had a vast knowledge of products and aftercare also the coffee and cookies they provide in showroom are a great way to make you feel welcome and at ease with buying from such a fantastic company. The warehouse called well in advance to book a delivery day and AM/PM slot which was very helpful with booking time off work. On the day of delivery the drivers called in the morning with a 2 hour time window which was bang on, and when they arrived they were both very courteous friendly and very professional taking great care for both my home and new furniture. Overall extremely pleased with my experience with solid oak warehouse in buying furniture, having it delivered (on time) and the product itself. Would definatly recommend and shop there again.

• Mr
    Mr M Burns Mar 15, 2011

Ordered a dining set. Told 6-8 weeks to deliver. Phoned in the 7th week. Delivered a few days later. Quality is exceptional and such good value. Better then the stuff I saw in John Lewis. Great!

angryberyl May 05, 2011

Worst company. EVER! I had a dining set ordered, waited so long (months) and still no delivery date, Phoned the office many times and they tell me i need to speak to the accounts or Tina. Well, Tina is apparently pregnant and no one else can refund me. What a joke of a company. 30 days refund. More like 60 days and still waiting. I have asked Tina to phone me back many times and she never does, so I have no option but to go through the courts. I had a relative visit the showroom a few weeks back and low and behold they have changed their name from Solid Oak Warehouse Ltd to M Range Globe Ltd (most likely to evade paying bills). What a surprise. Very fishy company. AVOID ADVOID AVOID!!! They take your money and delivery nothing. Don't even refund you. POOR!!! PLEASE DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Johnwarburton Sep 10, 2011

I bought a dining set, had some problems and had no problems returning and was refunded. They are under new management, so I am guessing what ever problems they had before have been ironed out.