SmartFaxbilling scam

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

I had used smartfax as a FREE online fax service a couple of years ago in 2004. I didn't even have to cancel, since my free service was automatically discontinued in 2005 and the number was deactivated. I NEVER upgraded. Now they send me a bill 4 years later?
Normally I check if there is any other infos online concerning strange billing cases and then I simply ignore the email if I find out that it's a scam. I did indeed notice how other people are having the same problem.
So today, on march 19, 2009, I try to get to the bottom of this and try to see if I'm registered. I punch in my email again and find out that my email (the same email that [protected]@smartfax.com sent the bill to) is not registered with the smartfax password retrieval system. That proves to me that my account was canceled a long time ago. So I just wrote them an email, telling them to finally cancel my account. I checked the email address "[protected]@smartfax.com" on the official website and it checked out as real.
What is this? a phishing scam? classic billing scam or error?
I would love to know who is responsible for this. Thank you.
Sincererly,