Shop Digital Directscam,grey market?,bait&switch

D

I really wanted to buy a camera at the price shown but, I stopped to read the reviews. I am so grateful to the reviewers!!! I called Shop Digital Direct just to see and they are a scam. DO NOT BUY from them!!!
Please read the other complaints. I did ask them about the complaints, they said it was jealousy from other companies. They put me on hold at that point and never came back. I called back and when the guy realized it was me again. he said, "Oh, #@&%*"...

• Mi
    MIKE Feb 26, 2009

I cant believe they are still in business, I had a horrible experience with them. I disputed the charge with visa and am still waiting for a response, I received a nikon d700, plus i paid extra for an extended warranty, from them that came with owners manual and all warranty card s in japense and I tried to call them and ask for my warranty, impossible to get them on the phone they told me the extended warranty company has my orginal warranty info. I called that company for every week two months, each time they responded they told me their system was down but dont worry I still have a warranty, call back later. Well I called nikon a nd gave them the serial # for my camera they confirmed it was a grey market camera and therefore had no warranty by them!! DISHONEST, RUDE COMPANY!!!

• Ka
    Kari Feb 06, 2009

OH My Gosh! I just hung up the phone with the dumb a ** and literally went through the same process as you! He at the end said he would then take off an additional $100 off my bill, but If I canceled he would charge me $395.00 processing fee. I told him there is no way that I would pay that.. and of course he said...oh yes you will' I listened to your advice and previously called my credit card company to cancel my card, and they siad there hasn't been a charge to my account yet... then I WOWED him that I will not be paying because I already canceled my crdeit card... He then hung up on me!
    Do yourself a favor, do not use small based companies online for such equipment. I was told to go local you can't go wrong and now after processing the info, I would be paying close to the same price anyway. Without the hassle. Save your money and stick to the budget you can afford, and work towards getting the items you need.
    Thanks so much for your post, I think you saved me from being swindled out of $4000.00 (which is what the Canon 5D Mark 2 then came to!)
    Kari PA

chris Jan 26, 2009

i loved them they actually sent me an extra camera. everyone should buy here with out any worries...

chris / shopdigitaldirect.com

• Ro
    rocco Jan 15, 2009

Under no circumstances should you patronize Shop Digital Direct. Otherwise, you run the risk of credit card fraud. I made two purchases from Shop Digital Direct using two different credits cards. I had used neither of these cards prior to my purchases from Shop Digital Direct or subsequently. Immediately after my purchases from Shop Digital Direct fraudulent credit card activity was posted against both cards.

My dissatisfaction with the service of Shop Digital Direct and their misrepresentation of products, convinced me never to shop with them again or recommend them. After having to clean up two credit cards in the wake of my purchases with them, I felt compelled to let others know of the potential credit risk involved via a forum such as this--next the Better Business Bureau of New York.

dolores smart Jan 08, 2009

I ordered a Nikon D300, camera body only, at a very low price. I got a call the following day saying the camera wouldn't ship for 4 or 5 weeks. I said thats okay, I still wanted it. Then he said they're no longer offering this camera and hung up on me. It's still on their web site for the same price.

James Jan 06, 2009

Poor Service - Placed an order that showed in stock, called a week later to check on shipping and was told that it would ship the following Monday. Called again 6 days after the recent ship date only to be informed that the item was on backorder with 6-8 weeks avail. There was no proactive communication from Shop Digital Direct except a Sales Call trying to up sell accessories for the item I ordered. I have cancelled my order and would advise steering clear of their low price come on's.

• Du
    Dusty Dec 30, 2008

I completed my order on-line with Shop Digital Direct and had to speak to someone to confirm my order! I was on hold for over 20 minutes! Then he told me he can swap out my 5 hour battery in my camera package for a four hour or two hour battery! I said isn't the 5 hour better then the two or four hour? He started getting rude and told me to listen very carefully. Then tried to explain again. He was so annoying rude, and from his accdent, he was in New York! Then I told him I would call back after I think about it, and he asked what he wanted me to do with my order, I said hold on to it, and said he can't, then I said I would call back and he hung up on me!

Listen sales departments! If you need to make sales that badly, pissing your willing and paying customers off is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of! I hope in these economic hard times, you guys suffer greatly, as pay-back for what you do to your customers! You rank way up there as idiots!

doctoryou Dec 28, 2008

you can also try: www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

doctoryou Dec 28, 2008

If you're reading this complaint, then you're probably already aware that this company is apparently completely fraudulent. My experience is essentially the same as dozens (if not hundreds) of others:

I've been shopping for a Nikon D90 camera and checked out "day after Christmas" sales. I got steered to a site called "DiduPrice" which listed Shop Digital Direct (SDD from here on) as having the camera for $519. That's about $400 cheaper than I'd ever seen. I was in a hurry and still had the gut feeling that this was a scam. I called the company and was on hold for 30 minutes. I tried searching for info on SDD but at the time, I somehow missed all of the complaints about them. So I bought the "number 9" camera package from SDD, and paid $30 for 3-day shipping. If I were to get the same equipment from somewhere else, it would have cost me $700 more. Hours later I felt nervous that my account was being drained by some guy living in his mom's basement...so I tried contacting SDD for reassurance but got through to no one. Thus began my obsessive checking of my credit card and bank account. And then it got weirder...

On a Sunday afternoon, someone from SDD called me on a number that showed up only as "800" on my caller ID. I answered it and was told that it was SDD, calling to confirm my order. Whew---a good sign, right? Not so much, though.

I asked for the rep's name and he just ignored me. I asked again and he said, "Look I told you where I'm calling from." Uh oh. Then he said I really should buy a battery for the camera. I asked why it wasn't included in the package, and he said that "no one sells this camera with a battery included." Uh oh---that's just a lie. I knew I wanted to cancel my order at that point but the guy's tone was really just wrong, and I had a feeling I'd have to finesse this to get out of the situation. So I let him give me the sales pitch on the battery: For a mere $175, I could get a battery I know sells for under $30. I kept going along with it, and he started up mentioning other items that I'd need to buy separately. But by this point he was annoyed and wasn't really making sense (something about cables, how the camera wasn't going to work without some part I'd never heard of, how I don't know anything about cameras, etc.). "Wow, that's great that you called" I said, "I just need it all to be here by Wednesday."

"That's up to UPS" he said. So I asked why I paid $30 for 3-day shipping, if the package was not in fact going to arrive within 3 days, and he actually called me "a****le" and started yelling at me. This was great, though, because all I had to do was say, "Golly, I'm just a customer, trying to give you money, and---" but he cut me off. And here's the best quote ever: "You're not a customer anymore, a*****e, you're order is canceled!" Then he hung up.

Disappointed that I wasn't going to get a too-good-to-be-true deal, but grateful that I didn't get too burned, I have been using the rest of the day to leisurely wait on hold with SDD (to confirm the order is canceled---which would be nice but not really necessary), having coffee, reading up on what soulless and unsophisticated sociopaths these guys are, and filling out complaints. But there's a moral to the story...

Based on my experience I might recommend these steps for anyone who is tempted or even sucked into the greed vortex created by SDD:

1) Don't buy anything from them. Your instinct telling you that it is too good to be true is correct. Based on another post about SDD, also look out for these websites that are apparently also SDD but doing business as:
    Best Price Camera, Best Stop Camera, C.I.S. Brokerage Inc., C.I.S. Trading System, Century 21 (not sure about that one), CIS Brokerage Inc.,
    CityWideDigital.com, Crystal International Services Inc., Digital EBuys, Enterprise Photo, Hello Camera, INF/MRAC/JF, Infiniti Cameras, Infiniti Photo, Infinity Cameras
    J&K Cameras, Inc., Mr. Accessory, PhotoDynasty.com, Razz Photo, Regency Camera, Regency Photo & Video, Inc., ShopDigitalDirect.com (again, these are coming from someone else,
    not me)

2) If it's too late, and you've tried to purchase something from SDD, hopefully they haven't shipped your order yet. Chances are they haven't---that's part of their scam. They seem to call you before they will fulfill your order, in an attempt to upsell (or "bait and switch"). This next part is important: Contact your credit card company, or bank, or whatever you used to make payment BEFORE you call SDD. Tell them the situation: You found a great deal from SDD, but have since found out from the web that they routinely rip off customers. Tell them you don't want to take any chances and you need their help to protect your funds/credit. Ask them what they can do for you. Your only option may be to close your account and have a new card re-issued, which is a pain, but still probably better than the alternative (you are NOT going to get your money's worth from this company---your dream purchase is not going to happen). Personally I'd rather deal with the inconvenience of getting a new card than the headache of filling out dispute forms and having my account put on hold until the dispute gets resolved. At the least, ask them to annotate your file to indicate that you called and were trying to proactively avoid a problem.

3) THEN call SDD. Make a legitimate attempt to contact them to cancel your order. Personally I'd try calling them---I wouldn't give them the wiggle room of an email. Document the call: The date, the time you started the call, and the time it ended. You probably won't get through to anyone. But if you do, start by asking their name (document that, too). Tell them that you're canceling your order. You don't actually have to give a reason. You don't have to argue. Expect to hear threats of a restocking fee or some other bogus explanation---but if your card hasn't been charged (see step 2), it's a moot point. SDD is aware of their reputation. They aren't a legitimate business, which would simply say "We're sorry you're canceling your order---here's a confirmation number." Instead, SDD will try to keep you on the hook in the hopes that they can scare you into paying.

You document all of this so that if you elect to go to step 4, you can honestly complete the paperwork, which will ask you to describe what efforts you attempted to resolve your problems with SDD.

4) File a complaint. This and other websites like it are useful but they aren't effective with a company like SDD, which is in no way bothered by their terrible reputation. They apparently still get enough business ripping people off that its worth it for them to put up with the complaints. So if you want to complain, use the sources that are actually likely to hold them accountable:

SDD is apparently based in Brooklyn, NY. However, if you google the address, you can see that it's apparently a bogus address. Still, that's apparently SDD's operating address. Maybe someone will post a different address...anyway, you could make a complaint to the Attorney General's office at: http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/consumer_frauds/filing_a_consumer_complaint.html
    There's a 2 page form that you can fill out online. While on hold for a SDD rep, why not take a moment to fill out the form?

Contact your credit card company. All of the credit cards accepted by SDD have "merchant policies" that SDD must adhere to, if they are to be allowed to continue accepting the credit card. Filing a dispute against SDD is not necessarily the same thing as reporting a merchant for fraud. I did this with my credit card and it took a few minutes to convey the situation: "Look, I use my Visa and I expect that anyone who accepts Visa as payment is somehow trustworthy...despite hundreds of complaints against SDD, they still get to use Visa. It's got to be bad for your business and it's certainly bad for your card holders...so what can you do to fix this?" Trust me, as a credit card "merchant", you don't want Visa or Mastercard or whoever to be threatening to cancel your account.

You might also contact the company that manufactures the camera product you were about to buy. By the sounds of it, SDD gets products and then breaks open the boxes, selling their contents in piecemeal portions. So I wrote a letter to Nikon corporate offices, clearly stating that I didn't know this to be happening as a fact, but it sure seemed fishy. Maybe SDD gets the same packages as BestBuy or CircuitCity, and then takes the battery/charger out of the box---like if you were going to buy a car but had to pay for the wheels separately. I imagine that Nikon and other companies might not like this, and perhaps they even have a way of cracking down on SDD.

As I'm still on hold with SDD, I want to add that it's surprising how many people have posted complaints that indicate that they knew they were getting scammed but were afraid to do anything to stop it. As you read over the comments about SDD, no one ever says "I got what I paid for." Sure, those people may be out there and wouldn't post any comments...but there's a clear pattern to the fraud here. SDD advertises prices that are much lower than anyplace else. If you make the purchase, you then get a sales call to try to upsell you, often for items that you would reasonably expect to be included. If you refuse to pay for these items, they tell you your equipment won't work...but if you agree to buy those items, you end up paying more than if you went to the mall and bought the same package there. If you paid with a credit card, and it's too late to cancel the order, you can still dispute it with your credit card company.

Giving up with SDD customer service now. Hope this is helpful to somebody.

• Ca
    caseybecking Dec 22, 2008

I JUST CALLED THEM TO ASK ABOUT A PRICE AND IF I CAN HAVE THE ITEM SHIPPED TO ME BY X-MAS. WHILE ON HOLD I STARTED LOOKING UP THEIR NAME. FOUND THESE COMPLAINTS. WHEN SOMEONE CAME ON THE PHONE ABOUT 25 MINUTES LATER. I ASKED IF THEY HAD THE CAMERA AND IF I COULD HAVE IT SHIPPED TO ME BY X-MAS. HE SAID THEY ARE ON BACK ORDER. I THEN STARTED TO ASK THEM ABOUT ALL THESE COMPLAINTS AND IF THEY WERE TRUE. HE DIDN'T RESPOND, I ASKED AGAIN IF HE COULD EXPLAIN THESE COMPLAINTS. HE THEN HUNG UP ON ME...

SUPER SCAM. ITS AMAZING TO ME HOW COMPANY'S LIKE THESE CAN STILL BE IN BUSINESS.

THANK YOU EVERYONE ON HERE YOU ALL HAVE SAVED ME MANY HOUR OF HEADACHE AND POSSIBLE MONEY LOSS.

I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH!

Jon Dec 03, 2008

I strongly agree with the other negative posts on this merchant. What they are doing is illegal, and there needs to be an investigation done by the State AG's office. I ordered a projector from them, thinking I'd gotten a good deal on it. I got an e-mail back a few days later from a guy saying his name was Ken. He said that they needed to confirm the order and to call him. So I called 'Ken' and he was a real pushy jerk. He started by asking me if I wanted a bulb with the projector. I know that a bulb comes with this particular model and honked the BS buzzer on him. He said that what I had purchased was the 'wholesale' model, and that the price was way below his cost if he threw in the bulb (which he said he'd charge me $400 for). He then said that he also would charge me $175 for insurance !?! and quoted a final price nearly $600 more than the price that I had accepted by ordering it. I told him to just cancel the order, and then he had the audacity to say that he would be charging me a $175 processing fee since he had already processed the order. He finally agreed to 'help me out' by only charging me $200 more than the ammount I'd accepted during the order.

So his proposition was, either I pay the extra $200 for what I'd already ordered, or I pay $175 for cancelling the order.

Needless to say, I cancelled the order, and my credit card to boot.

STAY AWAY!

• Ka
    Kathleen C Dec 02, 2008

I wish I would have done a Google search and found out what a scam website [URL="http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/merchant-discussion-shopping-advice/134824-can-i-trust-shopdigitaldirect-com-2.html"]shopdigitaldirect.com[/URL] is. I placed an order with them and wish that I had not. I had to cancel my credit card and have Discover issue me a new card. The only contact I have from them is an obscure e-mail below
    Thank you for your recent order with us. Please contact us at 888-313-7468ext.283 so that we may confirm your order with you. Please make sure to press my extension (283) as I will personally be handling your order.
    Ken
    I have filed a complaint with the [URL="http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/consumer_frauds/about.html"]New York and AGs Office[/URL]. There IP hosting address is in Texas so I also filed a complaint there. I also found a [URL="http://www.shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/"]second phone number for shopdigitaldirect.com [protected][/URL] They are Scammers. The phone number is for this Ken it is a land line located in Brooklyn, NY. I am also contacting Google.com. I found this website using Google Addwords. I have stock with Google and cannot believe they allow such a shady website doing business with them. This is a lawsuit waiting to happed with Google. When shopdigitaldirect.com sent their billing invoice it did not include a price or description of the item. Two of the three material terms required by New York State Code to complete a contact. As this is not a valid contract no court will enforce it and shopdigitaldirect.com cannot require a restocking fee of any kind or a change to the material terms unless you as the buyer agree to it. I would suggest that everyone file a complaint with the New York AGs office.

• Va
    Vaughn Nov 28, 2008

Im glad I randomly decided to read reviews about the site because i was going to buy a sony VX2100 which was normaly around $1700 or so and they were selling it for about $1000. I also figured out that they are also called "Sonic Cameras" so wach out

Andrea Hebert Nov 26, 2008

I have had an awful experience with ShopDigitalDirect.com. I ordered a Canon 50D Camera body only and a 50mm lens. On Sunday at 7am, my husband handed me the phone while I had a migraine headache. The guy on the other end of the phone upgraded me to the "retail" package which increased my sales price by $941.00. This package included things that I had bought somewhere else. When I called to complain, I sat on hold for at least 20 minutes, then the person who answered the phone was incredibly rude. I asked him to list out the items that were included in the package, he went through the list in about 10 seconds flat. I told him to slow down that I could not write that fast, he then told me to look in the manual and it would list everything in the package. He told me that if he had a migraine headache that he would have simply hung up on the person calling. I told him he was being rude, he then hung up on me. I called back and was put back on hold...I finally gave up after 10 more minutes and decided to do something.

Do me a favor, anyone who has a problem with this company, hit them where it hurts. They are registered with the Better Business Bureau (http://welcome.bbb.org/). You can file a complaint with the New York branch of this office. If enough people complain there is a good chance that they can be shut down.

• Je
    Jessie Nov 25, 2008

I 100% agree... I got the phone call to upgrade and they were talking almost doubling what I had ordered. Not being able to afford the package he was trying to sell me. I then I told him I have decided to cancel and wish to have my credit card information destroyed. The guy Mark was very rude and said that he could not do that, I had already ordered online orginally, and I told him to cancel the processing. We disagreed and he hung up on me. I called and was put on hold for around 2 hours. I hung up and went to my on-line banking and noticed a charge of $1, 018.86. Holy crap they actually did it. This Mark guy charged my account. I could not sleep that night. How was I going to pay my mortage or bills. This was just not my credit card but my debit card. I was mortified. I called the bank first thing in the morning and had to wait around until 11am to call this FRAUD of a company to get nowhere. Who's store hours are from 11am-6pm. I swear I'm so ready to scream. I've had to go to HELL and back to try to get my money back from even my bank. I had to cancel accounts and cards. What did I get myself into. I hope people are reading this before they order. I still do not know how I'm going to pay my bills and still have not seen a penny of my money and it has been over 2 weeks.

• Ca
    Cathy Nov 25, 2008

Bad Service!

I called to cancel an order yesterday, it took 15 minutes to figure out their automated phone system would not get me a live person unless I punched the selection indicating I wanted to buy something. [If I selected any option other than a purchase, I was given a recording saying their were closed!] I finally got a person and was transferred. The weasel I spoke to tried to bully me into confirming my order after I told him three times I wanted to cancel. He hung up on me.

DO NOT SHOP WITH THESE PEOPLE!

• Ly
    Lyal Shoff Nov 24, 2008

You are exactly right! Because of this website, I cancelled an order with these guys.

I ordered a camera package from them for about 300.00 less than most everybody was selling it for, The acknowledgment I got was real strange in E-Mail and it did not describe the merchandise or when I could expect shipment, of course, this was on the weekend, so some of this could be expected.

This triggered my alarm system, and I started poking around on the internet, and there are scads of complaints about these guys.

Early this Morning I called them up to check in and see if they were for real or not, and yes, they are for real. However, the camera package did NOT INCLUDE THE BATTERY!
    Then the phone hustler told me that the operating system is contained within the battery...! Preposterous. This same battery works for several Nikon cameras...He wanted to sell me one of those for either 169.00 or 215.00. I started to complain and then he said..."I don't think you can afford this camera", to which I replied..Yes, I don't believe I can...Please cancel.

I ordered another camera just about the same (Nikon D80 instead of the D90) from Amazon.com for about the same price and it comes with all the normal stuff.

I wouldn't buy anything from these guys on a bet.

Do NOT do business with them, they will rip you off in some way. I think the term Bait and Switch applies here in spades.

Also, if you call you will be put on hold for HOURS with the Loudest on hold music I've ever heard in my entire life, and if they feel like it, they'll just hang up on you if you get the wrong department also..no effort is made to redirect you to the appropriate department.

This reminds me of another company a few years ago called digital dog that is no longer in business, and they did the same shady practices...and they were also in New york...

Again, let the buyer beware!!

• Ac
    Ace Evans Nov 18, 2008

I would like to thank you all for giving me a heads up on shopdigitaldirect.com. I was going to buy a Canon D40, the price was awesome but, I was trying to get some more information on camera, lens and accessories - I was on hold for 27 minutes and when they did answer, it took 3 more times of being put on hold to answer a couple of questions and then told me camera was out of stock. I'm grateful I checked a little further and because of the rest of you I don't have to go through your pain.

• Fs
    FSS Nov 03, 2008

ShopDigitalDirect.com They got me good !
    I've been shopping online for years and never herd of this before.
    I ordered the Canon XSI kit from them for only $449.00, a bad ### deal so I thought.
    I got a call from one of there Ripoff Specialist saying I needed the battery for 145.00 so I bought it
    told them to go ahead with the 145.00 charge and send me the camera. They ended up charging me
    255.00 for the charger and 50.00 for the free software you can download from Canon.

A 799.00 Dollar camera cost me 949.00 by the time it was said and done and I did not know about the other charges
    for almost a month..
    NEVER AGAIN will I buy from a none recognized company again also do a [redacted] search on them before I buy.

• Ji
    Jim West Nov 03, 2008

Sold me $1, 099.00 "retail" package for a Panasonic HDC-HS9 that is worth $680.00 I called to get the 4 hr battery they promised and they said they sent it. I said all I have is the standard 1 hr battery, per the Panasonic Manual (VBG130). A man calling himself William Ittman said that the VBG130 is the 4 hour battery. I explained that the "manual" calls it a 1 hr battery. He said "it depends on how you use the battery".

I believe I got cheated and the company refuses to send me a 4 hour battery. Their website advertises a 3 lense filter kit for $395. The one I got can be bought for $16.95.

• Ju
    Julie Nov 02, 2008

ABOUT COMPLAINING TO THE FCC...

They'll just start it up again under another name. shopdigitaldirect is not their first name, according to my review search on google.

• Ju
    Julie Nov 02, 2008

Thankfully, I read another website for reviews. I was to call back and confirm my order, I called back and told them not going to order at this time, too confused. Today is 11-02-08.

They have TWO credit cards of mine. Apparently, Discover Card is on to them. I called both my credit cards and made sure there were no charges. When I said shopdigitaldirect to Discover Card, the staff member just groaned. They will ensure no charges are made. Ever.

AmEx, to my surprise refused to block any future charges. But, they'll dispute them with me if I chose to. I asked that a remark be made in my file saying I called to refuse all charges - ever.

I need to remember to do a search ANY time I make a new purchase online.

Shoppin local...

jane doe Oct 29, 2008

Glad I didnt fall for this scam, or any of their numerous SISTER-SITE scams! A$$wipes! It really p#sses me off how they scammed (or attempted to scam) all of you! There should be some kind of law against this! And investigators that are determined to find these scammers and lock them UP! They do not deserve to walk amongst the free!

Reading all the forums (and many others), isnt it ironic how that only the people that didnt catch on right away got their card charged instantly? And their merchandise supposedly was "shipped" or "processed" before they could change their mind? But those that were suspicious and asked questions or refused "add ons", suddenly the item they wanted wasn't available and on back order for months? Hmmmm...

PLEASE check out the following link before falling for possible scams, this is a link to reputable and rip-off dealers. As well as their feedback...

• Ti
    tiner Oct 28, 2008

There is something suspicious about this shop digital direct. I asked to cancel an order, and they wouldn't do it even though it hadn't shipped yet

• Et
    eta-989 Oct 16, 2008

I completely agree with everryone on here! I come across this website with the nikon D-90 with a price too good to be true. So i call to ask about the price and the payment options . The guy answers one question then hangs up. Tried to call back and was on hold for about 30 minutes . NO point in calling again if the seller is not serious about selling the item. COMPLETE FRAUD!

1wayphoto.com Also a Fraud

Martin Oct 15, 2008

Every time I called to buy one of their deals, they would hang up on me or leave me on hold. They are ignorant and crooked. Don't let your greed for that great price overcome your intuition. They like Sonic cameras are a bunch of crooks.

Mark Kelsey Oct 09, 2008

I just ordered a camara two days ago and ask for a email conformation. I did not receive any.

Called the following day and still did not get any confirmation.

• Si
    Simon Sep 29, 2008

Luckily I saw these compliants today. Otherwise, I will issue an order to this company.

I was attracted by the low price of Nikon D8O body at $299 which is cheaper than the market price, perhaps they may playing the same trick what they did before.

Anyway, many thank to all the reporters

• Sc
    Scott Sep 22, 2008

I called the company and waited 30 mins and I asked one question. He put me on hold again without responding to my question. Then he hang up. I called again to ask about the camera to know what kind of camera material body it was. He said "he didnt know", then hang up. Next, day I call, and asked the same question and now he tells me the camera is made of mangiusm then hang up. I call back and told him what kind of package I want. I told him i wanted the package 14. I told him that is the Nikon D300, and I asked him is that the correct price, he said " that is impossible too cheap" then hang up. I call back again, and I asked for the address, he refuse to give me the address and hang up. I call back and ask the same thing. He said what was the purplse for? I told him so that I can send a money order and would need an address. He said they dont accept money order, only credit cards. Then hang up. I looked online in company policy it says that they do accept credit card. So he lied and it a totally rip off. Thank god i didnt buy from them.

• Ri
    Rick Sep 21, 2008

If you are contemplating a purchase from Shop Digital Direct, DON'T DO IT!! I wish I had read the comments here before submitting an order online. I ordered a Canon XSi and the next day got a call from someone named Adam at Shop Digital Direct, who said he wanted to confirm my order. When he said the battery was not includede with the camera and tried to sell me one, I told him that the complete package from Canon includes a battery. He said "you don't think you're gonna get a battery included for $299 do you? I'm cancelling your order" and then he hung up on me. I called back and he said "what do you want to do...I have $10, 000 orders here and yours is a pitiful $400. Are you gonna order the battery or what?" He then hung up on me again. I will notify my credit card company that no charge will be approved for these clowns.

• Tr
    Traveler Sep 01, 2008

Many people think that Toyota is a good car model. But, I had a bad experience. As a owner of new 2006 Toyota Highlander (hyb_LTD), I had 5 times of incidences of the front windshield dents or crakes caused by flying stones within 3 months. I had contacted Toyota customer service and did not get an appropriate response. Subsequently, I experienced 3 more similar incidences within the past 8 months, which all caused more severe damages on the front windshield. Some cracks extended automatically to more than 8 to 12 inches after single attack by a small flying stone. I, then, again contacted Toyota Customer Experience Center, requesting investigation and resolution. After repeatedly inquiring, the staff member created a case number and agreed to have an inspection. However, the field inspector never came, instead, without an inspection; he simply told me by phone that all damages on windshield were not product-quality related, so he would not come. I kept trying to contact Toyota Customer Experience Center, but there was no chance that I could directly speak with the assigned case manager over the phone for the past more than 4 months.
    For my safety, I changed the front windshield without any Toyota’s help. Although I continue driving the same way as usual, and had several flying stone incidences, I have never had any dent or crake, suggesting the quality of these two pieces of windshield seems different. I am very dissatisfactory about the way that Toyota treats customers and the quality of its original windshield.

• Sl
    slick ink tattoo Aug 28, 2008

I can't believe people like this are called "trusted seller" on the web!!!Are you serious?!

I decided to buy a camera from SHOP DIGITAL DIRECT about 2 weeks ago.
    The one I was looking at was a CANON REBEL camera, which I could buy in a kit with lens for another about $100. WHEN I CHECKED ALL THE ITEMS INCLUDED IN THE KIT... THE CAMERA WAS MISSING.So I decided not to buy anything before I check ratings, reviews and other info about these people. I also called them about the missing camera from the description of the package and I was told "all packages include cameras, no matter what the webpage says, OK lady?!!!"
    On the web this seller was listed as "trusted" so I just decided to buy another package, which OBVIOUSLY INCLUDED THE CAMERA!!!
    I ordered a CANON EOS 40D kit with lens and other free ###.
    The receipt I got e-mailed seemed ok to me-the total was the same, no additional charges, etc.
    The next morning the so called "Chris" called me asking if I wanted some other "extras" for my camera and I said I didn't want to be charged for anything else but what I already ordered.
    3 days after that I checked my bank statement and I saw that they charged me double. I called their only customer service-and-everything else number. the man who answered the phone was the same chris...who explained with attitude that no matter what I ordered I needed to buy a charger and other stuff so they can ship my order.Actually nowhere in the website you can find such a part of the company policy...Can you imagine-I needed to buy something even more expensive than my camera so I can get the camera itself!!!I told him I wanted only my original order or my money back, so I was asked if I wanted my order to be cancelled for another $250. I said no and immediately went to the closest bank office. I reported a claim and tommorow and if doesn't work I am going to court! meanwhile the camera was shipped...but wiyh another invoice...different order numbers...OHHH GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

• Valerie Aug 28, 2008

Do not order from shopdigitaldirect.com. They falsely advertise camera equipment at impossibly low prices. I ordered a Canon G9 digital camera from them a month ago. They contacted me within a day of my order to verify my order. In reality, what they called for was to sell me additional cheap, overpriced and unnecessary accessories and service warranties in order to cover their costs. I refused to take the bait. As a result, I never heard back from them.

I tried calling and emailing several times to check on my order. They kept saying the camera was on back order.

When they first called me, they were ready ship me the camera but wanted to 'verify' the shipping address. The camera never shipped, but they retained all my credit card and shipping info. The only way to cancel the order is by phone and it's very difficult to get someone on the phone at customer service. I was fortunate to cancel my order, but I also canceled my credit card just in case. I'm surprised these scam artists have not been caught by Federal Trade Commission, it's only a matter of time.

• Ce
    ceci Aug 26, 2008

All you can do is report them to www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov. They need more people complaining to take action.

• Jp
    JPH Aug 23, 2008

I'm a bit ashamed that I did fall for the bait and switch technique employed by ShopDigitalDirect. I ordered an Optoma DV11 projector. They claimed it was a "wholesale" version that did not come with a bulb. He said the bulb would cost an extra $195 but in the end his math was off by another $200. Before I realized what he was feeding me I agreed. Fortunately, the product does work and did arrive, but be careful they are con artists. There is nothing professional about this company. I'll stick with the big names like J&R and BHPhoto from now on, there is no one better. How and where can I file a formal complaint about this company?

• Jw
    jw Aug 18, 2008

These guys are pure rip-off artists. Same thing happened to me. I ordered what I thought to be a complete Nikon D80 lens kit with the 18-55 lens for a price in the $550 range on a Friday and on Sunday, received a call on my cell phone from Shop Digital Direct from a salesman, asking if I ordered the camera and asking me again for my 3 digit credit card number on the back of the card. I gave it to him like an idiot, he then proceeded to tell me that the battery did not come with the camera, nor did the charger. Both would add about $250 for the total price. Again, not knowing that any Nikon digital SlR that you buy at a legit store, would have that included. I said ok, which brought the price up to $850 with an SD card. I then started doing some research and concluded I had been ripped off and may have been sent a Gray Market camera, that was not even intended for US use.

I called promptly Monday morning to say I wanted to cancel, and they proceeded to put me on hold 3 different times with 3 different people, finally getting someone named "William, " on the phone, who still tried to convince me that the deal was $50 cheaper anywhere else. When I said I didn't want a gray market camera, he said, "Oh, you wanted the U.S. version?" That did it for me. He indicated he would cancel the order, but said he could not give me a confirmation email for some reason. I received a reference # which could be bogus. I'll have to monitor my credit card activity to see if it actually did get cancelled. The first woman I spoke to on the phone said they could NOT cancel, because the merch had already "left the warehouse, " whatever that meant. TOTAL SCAM ARTISTS, LIARS AND CHEATERS. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHOP DIGITAL DIRECT!

No Fool Aug 16, 2008

Guys - your banks is taking the risk, not you - never use a debit card, always use a credit card. If they don't fully live up to expectations, simply contact your bank and dispute the charge! You will have to fax a document to your bank but the money will be credited back to your credit card then the burden is on the "company" not you...

You are not doing anything wrong, they have an agreement in place with Visa, MasterCard etc that already protects you, if they violate it, who cares - you did your part...

Don't ever let a "retailer" abuse you - heck, if they want to send you a Nikon D3 for $2500 bucks without the batteries or a cord, fine, let them. Just reverse the charge and enjoy your camera - I'm sure with the money you saved you can purchase whatever silly item they left out then send them a thank you card for saving you $3000 bucks...

Just my two cents...

• Af
    A Fool Aug 13, 2008

I ordered a Nikon D700 and they called to tell me that the camera won't work unless I give them an additional $2, 000 dollars to have the firmware installed. That's Bull. I spent all day trying to cancel my order and all they did was hang up on me over and over again. My bank stopped the charge and marked it fraud, lucky me!

• Jb
    JB Aug 13, 2008

First off I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to write these reviews and saving potential buyers, myself included, the time and headache that comes with dealing with these scam artists.

Second, after some extensive research I would like to let others know that Shop Digital Direct falls under a company umbrella that operates under many other names, including;

Best Price Camera
    Best Stop Camera
    C.I.S. Brokerage Inc.
    C.I.S. Trading System
    Century 21
    CIS Brokerage Inc.
    CityWideDigital.com
    Crystal International Services Inc.
    Digital EBuys
    Mr. Accessory
    PhotoDynasty.com
    Razz Photo
    Regency Camera
    Regency Photo & Video, Inc.
    ShopDigitalDirect.com

Also, beware of these other companies I've encountered in reviews who seem to operate in the same fashion:

1. One Way Photo (AKA Lenses N More)

2. FotoConnection (AKA TVsDepot, TheWizStore.com, ePhotoClub, 1stopcamera.com, Inoax.com, TheNewConnection, Rite Buys)

3. Broadway Photo / A&M Photo World, (AKA Regal Camera, Prestige Camera, Preferred Photo, Royal Camera)

4. Camera Addict

All I wanted was to make a simple camera body purchase when I came across a deal that seemed too good to be true. With credit card in hand I somehow snapped out of it and decided to take a step back. I am glad I did. One review site led to another and another until the truth started to unfold. Now my obsession with finding the best price has become an obsession to finding a REPUTABLE DEALER with the best price.

• G
    G. Aug 12, 2008

I just purchased a Sony HD-SR12 from Shop Digital Direct and I should have known better because this specific camcorder runs well over $1, 000 and of course they had it for $549.00 with free shipping and a bunch of free products. Well to say the least they got me. We placed the order online and felt really good i received an e-mail immediatly after the purchase, it had all the correct info ect... Then yesterday I get an email saying that they just wanted to confirm my order for proccessing and that my card would not be charged until product was shipped. A few hours later I get a call from "Chris", he is calling to confirm my order and ask if I would like to add a battery to my order since it did not come with the camera(flag #2). I told him no I will get it through sony directly, then he asked if I was intrested in a package deal. I told him no. without a good bye or anything he hangs up. Well today i get another e mail stating that my camera is no longer in stock and it will take 6-8 weeks to arrive and I will be notified once its there. My card will not be charged and have a good day. So what's the first thing I do... Check my account. The transaction is still proccessing and has not been cancelled. So now I have called my bank to notify them of this charge and I have to get a new one because those ### have my info on file.

Just to warn everyone there is also another website out there.
    soniccameras.com
    sonic cameras

I kept looking for my camcorder cause this one fell through and i came across this website. It had the exact same deal as shopdigitaldirect.com so i decided to call and make sure they were not a sister site. I asked if they had any affiliation with shop digital direct and he said no and quickly said hold on. Then when he got back on the phone he stated that they (sonic cameras) only had one website. And quickly asked me what i was shopping for. I told him and he asked if I was just getting the camera or the package deal. I told him "oh, so u do have the camcorder there in store ready for shipping?" he then hung up on me. So then i called shop digital direct and guess who answered?

For future refrence dont just think u are getting a great deal on something. Research first. That way u dont have to get a new credit card.