Shlomo Car Rentalrental car

Ra May 29, 2019

Very seldom I do review on services like rental car. But after renting a car from Shlomo Sixt in Israel I feel obligated to advise others of danger to renting from this company. Israel is a wonderful country, but for a foreigner driver it present a certain complications - some places are better not to go to. The country does a very good job posting road and advisory signs, but to be on the safe side I chose to rent a vehicle with navigation. Few companies I have contacted advised me that navigation is not available, but finally I reached out to Shlomo Sixt and was told that navigation is available but only on BMW model. That was an expensive offer, but I accepted it for the need of navigation. When I arrived to TLV Shlomo Sixt's clerk handed me a cellular phone of unknown to me model, and a pouch with the car lighter plug for USB charger and charging cable.
At the time I did not realized that I was given a phone with Waze app. When I get to the car and tried to connect the phone to the charger I got first surprise. The charging cable has broken phone end connector. No big deal. The attendant replaced the cable. It took 15-20 minutes, but I got a working cable. That was the first surprise in the long line of surprises. None of the were positive. Second surprise was that the car does not start. Never before I had to dial a code to start the car and no one at Shlomo Sixt cared enough to ask and explain the procedure. Again looking for attendant and another 15-20 minutes and I lerned how to start a car. As soon as I get of the garage and get on the exit roads from TLV the phone's clip fell off and I caught the phone while driving. The clip was falling off for the duration of the trip every bump on the road, or every 10 miles on perfectly smooth road. What was even more "fun" is that every time human hand touches the phone it will change the screen from navigation to whatever. To get the phone back to navigation mode required pulling off the road and it is not easy on the streets of Tel Aviv, Jerusalem or on the highway. The navigation voice command disappeared after first few minutes and for the rest of the 12 days the navigation was silent. A couple of friends joined us in Tiberia and… another surprise - one of the safety belts on the back seat is jammed and we were not able to use it. Driver seat belt jammed twice, but I was able to get it back to normal. We were lucky - seat belts are a safety devise and not operational safety devise put Shlomo Sixt's customer in jeopardy - and there were no dangerous situations. Dirty windshield (inside) to the point that I was forced to stop at the first store and but some Windex is nothing by Shlomo Sixt standards.
When I reported all of this to the clerk at the car return she typed all my comments in Hebrew and was not able to print them. The shuttle bus driver was very inpatient to leave and did not allow me opportunity to resolve the issues at the counter.
The summary - renting car from Shlomo Sixt is dangerous to your life, unpleasant and stressful.
It seems that revenue close to 3 Billion Euro allows them to ignore the customers, jeopardize customer's safety and concentrate on revenue stream only.
I hope Shlomo Sixt will have more respect to the customers, better trained employee, be honest and learn to speak straight to the customers.

My advise to fellow travelers - stay away from Shlomo Sixt.