Shaws Supermarketsmanagement

A couple weeks ago I was at Shaw's standing in the very long line that went out into the isles with only one register open. The cashier asked who I believe is the manager (George?)if he could open up, as he was standing nearby watching her with a very long line of customers (who were starting to get frustrated) and he said he didn't know how to run the register, and then turned away to get back to whatever it was he was doing. What kind of manager doesn't know how to do the job he is supposed to be supervising? I have been shopping here for years and have seen this store go through a few managers, all of who were willing and ABLE to help out their employees when necessary. To be clear, my complaint isn't about the store being understaffed, it is specifically about the managers incompetence and the unprofessional attitude that he is somehow too good to do the job that he is supposed to be supervising.

Ma
Jul 25, 2019

Comments

•   Jul 25, 2019

I don't know how many industries you are familiar with, but I can tell you it is not a manager's job to know everything that their subordinates know. It's to manager their subordinate's performance. The manager often has to be left free in order to take care of any emergent situations or perhaps things well beyond your purview. A manager can not be tied up on a register if something catastrophic should occur. So rather than pontificate on why you had to *gasp* wait in line for a few minutes, why not take some time to understand how a business typically runs. You are making an inaccurate distinction. He never said he was too good to do the job, he said that he did not know how. You are making a value statement based on that in which your speculation has you moving down the path of incoherence. In layman's terms, let's not have your alligator mouth overload your canary ass.

Hope that helps!

Biggus Dickus

Jul 26, 2019

Dear Mr. Biggus Dickus,
    I appreciate your opinion. For starters, how do you expect a good manager to manage their employees and make sure they are doing their job correctly when they do not know how to do the job themselves? This is a small store. There have been previous managers who were capable of jumping on register when necessary, while still being able to attend to their managerial duties. Why should this manager be an exception? Secondly, you stated ever so dramatically, “So rather than pontificate on why you had to *gasp* wait in line for a few minutes, why not take some time to understand how a business typically runs” (Dickus, lines 5-7). Once again I would like to reiterate that my problem with the store was not the fact that it was understaffed and I had to wait in line, it was the managers lack of ability to step in when needed. Being a cashier got me through college and I have been in similar situations before. Thirdly, in the rare event that something “catastrophic” were to occur, I’m sure he would be able to leave the register just as easily as he got on. Finally (I probably should have mentioned this earlier), when it was my turn in line I asked the cashier if he really didn’t know how to run register (as in my personal opinion I do believe a manager should know how to at the very least help his employees, which this one did no such thing, he just watched her) and she told me that he refuses to learn. This is where I drew my assumption that he felt it was too low of a job for him.

Hope this helps!

Matthew Avery

•   Jul 26, 2019

Hi Matthew,

I know several really good managers that don't have clue one what their subordinates do when it comes to actually performing the work. They are metrically driven and typically follow a form of macromanagement. I have this seen this model be successful in a number of big box retailer and wholesalers as well. Many of the operations level managers do not have utilization of a cash register listed within their job description. Why? Risk mitigation. The manager does not need to be question by the likes of you on what they are or are not doing. If other managers have jumped on in the past, good for them. That does not mean it is a requirement. Your caterwauling about waiting in line is necessitated by the fact you were waiting in line longer than you feel that you should have. You felt entitled to be catered to as you saw a manager. It's so nice you appreciate my opinion, but I can tell you neither the manager of this store nor myself appreciate yours. It's arrogant pseudo-millenial prattle and it has no place in public decorum. The cashier is not in a position to rate the performance of the manager and their opinion is essentially, like yours, irrelevant. Your alligator mouth is hard at work again. Hopefully the canary ass doesn't have to file a worker's comp claim.

Hope that helps!