Shari's Berriescomplete rip off

F Review updated:

Do not do business with this unethical company!!!
Ordered six berries for my mother-in-law and a santa's workshop live christmas tree for my mother last week. My mother lives in a suburb of phoenix, az and my mother-in-law lives in the same city as I do, elko, nv.. Both products were on special for $19.99 and the freight was listed as $9.99 for each order. Seemed like a fair price for the tree and little steep on the berries, but what the heck it's part of their christmas. As you proceed through the order process, near the end I noticed that there was an additional freight charge of $9.99 on each order. The charge was listed as a "rural" delivery fee. That makes each order $19.99 for the product and an additional charge of $19.99 for shipping! Neither location is "rural", both are located on a major interstate highway and have full facilities of all the major delivery companies, ups, fed ex etc. I order frequently from dozens of companies and I have never been charged a additional fee for freight. As I started to cancel the order a box pops up and says that I will receive up to a $15.00 rebate after I place the order. O.K., now a freight charge of $4.99 seems more than reasonable, so I place the order.
Here's where the scam kicks in. To receive the "rebate" you have to subscribe for services with another company that offers you a 30 day free trial and then bills the credit card info you have to provide $30.00 per month. Oh, and the rebate is on a future order! They will not cancel the order once it is placed, which is why they have the rebate available after the order is placed. I chose not to be manipulated into signing up for a service I did not want. It seemed better to just eat the outrageous charges and never do business with such a unethical company. But no, they weren't done. I received e-mail after e-mail from the company offering the rebate telling me I still had time to take advantage of their incredible offer. I even received a e-mail at work.

The tree I sent to my mother was as advertised and delighted my mom. It actually came from proflowers.com.
Sharie's berries is actually part of a multicompany corporation consisting of pro flowers, pro flowers international, sharie's berries, red envelope and cherry hill farms. Beware of the business practices of all these companies.
The berries to my mother-in-law were terrible. The size was small to medium and the berries were overripe.
$20.00 for six of these pathetic berries.
I put a review on their website and they didn't print it. They do have hundreds and hundreds of rave, 5 star reviews, but none that are negative or mention the shipping scam! Funny how that works.
I've gone out of my way to warn friends and coworkers about these companies and will continue to drive business away from these unethical crooks.

• Updated by Jmvit · Feb 17, 2017

I am still waiting for a response back from my past email and phone call!!!

• Updated by Jmvit · Feb 17, 2017

still waiting!!

• Updated by [email protected] · May 16, 2019

just bad product

• Mo
    Montana48 Jan 06, 2011

I so agree with you. Rural Delivery Charge ??? I live in the middle of town with an international airport a couple of miles away. What a bunch of bs. And the weirdest thing is if you go to CherryMoonFarms.com (one of the 6 companies of their 'Family of Brands') you can order the same products with the same discounts an NO rural delivery charge. How does that add up? ...well for me it added up to $9.99 less in shipping for the identical order, HA!

• Ml
    mlcoh Feb 11, 2011

I had the same experience with Shari's Berries yesterday when I tried to order 6 chocoate covered strawberries for $19.99 with free shipping (as they advertised). By the time I completed my order I had a bill for $49.99. They don't let you know this until you are finished ordering. Then they charge 2 delivery fees and a fuel charge. And as you said they say that your order cannot be modified or cancelled. I had no intention of subscribing to "free shipping.com" to recoup my shipping charges because I did not trust anybody associated with Shari's Berries. I immediately called and tried to cancel my order and they refused. My daughter has not received the berries yet so I can't comment on them. I do a lot of online ordering but I would NEVER do business with this company again. As far as I'm concerned they have "false and misleading advertising".

maroonghia Feb 12, 2011

i agree...ordered the 6 berries, 19.99 special, saw a check box along the order process for guaranteed shipping by valentines day. i didnt check it, because it was already mentioned to order by friday for it to get there monday. so i figured, 19.99 for the berries, 1.99 for a card, figured there would be tax, and 9.99 for standard shipping. so i was thinking around 35 or so dollars.
    I was wrong... it was $54.12...for 6 strawberries.
    their trick is, you have no idea what your total is until you PLACE your order.
    first and last time customer
    oh, and the kicker? you cant cancel any order placed after Feb 7.
    what a sham, i was so looking forward to feeling good about this gift for my wife. it was different, looked good, and would be a suprise, as budgets are tight, and we havent gotten each other gifts in a couple of years. she would pass out if she knew i spent
    54.12 on 6 strawberries.

• Placed an order for Cookies by design, paid as much for expedited delivery as the item itself. Item was never delivered, no follow up call was made. Customer service full of excuses. Bottom line, DO NOT use Shari's Berries for any special moments. Very very disappointed

• Sh
    Shari's Berries Apr 01, 2012

We're sorry if you had a bad experience; it's not typical. We strive to ensure all of our gifts are delivered on time and provide tracking information for all orders. If your gift did not arrive on the date you ordered it for, we'll make it right for you. Please give me a call at 888-855-3486 -Steve

• Co
    cocoa69 May 08, 2012

I also ordered Shari's Berries for my husband. They were no where near what was advertised. The berries were small to medium and they were NOT JUICY! It seemed like they were picked too soon. It was quite disappointing, and nothing like the HYPE! I will not order them again!!

KICKNBACK Dec 12, 2012

I am sure their berries are not good enough to justify their shipping chargers. What annoyed me the most is you need to enter all of your information and get to the final confirm order before you even know what the shipping cost will be. They do not deserve our family business that is for sure. Good vendors have a calculate shipping long before you enter all of your personal data. For me I will continue to make our own or purchase from a specialty store and pay no shipping. Big disappointment! Guys like Hannity and Beck preach honesty and plug a company like this. Shame on them. At the price of their product shipping should be no more than their cost which is definitely not the case.

• Pa
    park'd Feb 07, 2013

Same thing just happened to me for Vday order. $39.99 'special' roses and berries turns into $92 with shipping. No way it costs that much to ship. I called them and told them how I felt and that I think what they are doing is false advertising. They aren't getting a penny from me.

• Ec
    eclipse1994 Feb 14, 2013

Shari's Berries = outrageously priced = total rip off!! Placed order 3 days before Valentines Day. Charged $4.99 + 9.99 for SHIPPING ALONE! Got an "offer code" for a full HALF dozen strawberries ($19.99). Silly me - should have read that more carefully - I thought it said a FULL dozen. Who uses the word FULL related to a half dozen (savvy, tricky marketers)?? At the end of the day, I paid $41.00+ for 6 strawberries. Can't help but feel sick every time I think about it. Happy Valentines Day >: (

• Bi
    Billon Mar 13, 2014

I ordered gift for my wife on Valentine’s Day from the website www.sharisberries.com. They charged me within several minutes and provided the approximate time of the delivery. But on Valentine’s Day, they didn’t deliver my gift. I called them after that, but no one replied to phone call and emails. They ruined my surprise and day. Not recommended. They still haven’t returned money. So be careful if you use this website or leave comments if you have horrible experience with this seller.

• Il
    Illestblue May 07, 2014

I also just suffered the same circumstances.. I thought I was getting a special deal, one where I paid 39.99 and then shipping but what I didn't realize was that they charged me normal shipping and holiday shipping over that. And then, it was supposed to be a deal over to days.. flowers delivered one day and strawberries the next. I thought, since it was a "deal" the shipping would be confirmed for both but again I dealt with shipping costs a top shipping costs. In the end it cost me 80 something dollars instead of 50.. it's a huge jump. I wasn't aware of the charges till after I confirmed the order. Stay away from this company.

• Mb
    MBEELRIGSUSA May 09, 2014

I just ordered from here a few days ago. It was 24.99 for the garden cookie arrangement! I thought sure sure, the shipping was supposed to only be 4.99. That's what it said at checkout, that's what I was charged for on my account, so all together 29.98. I looked at my account today and there was another $10 added on! AFTER 3 4 DAYS! I called the customer care hotline, to where I got nowhere with the lady, who basically called me dumb for even *thinking* that they were wrong! It was a mother's day gift so my mom hasn't gotten the cookies yet, but JEEZ LOUISE! Never ever again!

• Fo
    Former Customer 254 Aug 29, 2014

I Just sent Berrries and flowers to my 82 year young Mother for her Birthday! The Berries where ok ! ( Not as god as edible Arrangements ) but the Roses which showed up late in the afternoon, appeared to have been left on a hot UPS truck overnight! Soory Mom! I`ll never use sherries berries again!

AnonShari Dec 14, 2014

These berries come from the farm in crates, with dirt and anything else that may have contaminated them (animal fecal matter, pesticides, etc...) and are dipped in chocolate without washing them.
    Despite worries from the company for years about the negative health effects and consumer sentiment around not washing our strawberries before dipping them in chocolate, nothing has been done to resolve this issue.
    The company ships millions of these strawberries per year, especially now during the upcoming Christmas holiday, Valentines Day holiday and Mother's Day holiday. The berries arrive directly from the farm, are sorted for size in machinery and directly sent to be dipped in chocolate (actually it's not even real chocolate, but a chocolate like substance). There is actual dirty and grime accumulation all over the berry sorting equipment because of how dirty the berries are.
    The executives at the company recognized this as a potential issue and year after year give it lip service. However, putting in a real system to properly clean the berries or somehow track shipments to a certain lot of berries from a farm would cost money. Currently if a group of customers across the country contracted a food bourne infection from the berries, the company would have no way to resolve the issue or track where the berries originated from.
    Don't send your loved ones these berries for the sake of health.
    -Concerned Shari's Berries Employee

• Ca
    Carole38572 Dec 27, 2014

I ordered 3 gifts of $50 or more of strawberries, cherries and cookies. Orders were for family in NC and NY. These were Christmas gifts and none of them were delivered. The tracking system was useless, providing no information except the orders had been processed. I called the company 12/26 and after a long wait was told that the orders had been cancelled and not by them. They refused to take any responsibility and just kept repeating the order was cancelled and not at their end, implying they must have been cancelled by me. Also they kept insisting I would have received emails regarding the cancellation. The only emails I ever received were order confirmations. Then they had the nerve to read me their products glowing description and wonderful shipping details asking if I would like to place an order!!! They have lost my business forever.

Jon E. Feb 12, 2015

What a complete scam. Ordered a $49 dollar special and I just saw my bill was $93 dollars. Wow are you serious. When you call you get someone on the phone that really can't do much of anything to help. I will NEVER do business with these guys again. Heard them advertised on radio and some friends said they had used them. From now on, I'll haul my cookies to the store and get it myself. What a complete joke...only problem the joke is on me. Stay Away!

Jonathan 215 Feb 12, 2015

Such a complete rip off. Just placed an order for 1 dozen chcolate covered strawberris for "half price" with a promo code from the radio. I am paying $24.99 for a full dozen and it was such a good deal I added 4 caramel dipped pretzel also for $9.99, kinda pricey but I never get anything delivered for my wife so I thought it would be a nice little treat for Valentines day. Everything went great until I complete the order and see there is a $17.99 standard delivery fee then on top of that there is another $9.99 for Saturday delivery. So for around a $35 order I ended up paying $66.74. I will eat the cost and just never do business with this company or any of there other companies again. For me once, shame on you, for me twice, shame on me...

• Hi
    Hill5 Feb 16, 2015

Rip off...I ordered half dozen chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine's day for my husband. When he received them they were hot and looked nothing like the picture. It was such a disappointment, for a Valentine's gift. :(

angryDALLAS May 06, 2015

NEVER AGAIN. TOTAL RIP OFF.

$39 special for 6 berries and 3 (small) cheese cakes after shipping and other charges was $77.09

77.09 for 6 berries and 3 cheesecakes???? I could have taken my wife to CHEESECAKE FACTORY and had a meal with dessert for WAY less than that.

DO NOT BE SCAMMED LIKE I WAS.

• Se
    Sean43 May 09, 2015

I agree with all the complaints. I ordered Mother's Day strawberries and cookies. I will not receive them on time for Mother's Day. I ordered in plenty enough time. What a ripoff!!! The two dozen roses I ordered show up, but they are nothing special at all. Everyone save your money go to the store buy flowers and berries. You will save yourself a lot of money and headache!!!

• Ic
    Ichabod's Revenge Jul 21, 2015

I too have just been ripped off by these jokers. I bought the Groupon 15.00 for 30.00 at SB. I ordered the 6 strawberries and 3 small cupcakes MINI CUPCAKES PEOPLE. for 34.98. Went through all the crappy sign up process and at the very end they charge 19.99 for STANDARD shipping AND sales tax of 4.00. my total ended up something like 50+ dollars for 6 little strawberries and 3 mini cupcakes. I know these guys belong to proflowers so I looked up there sales tax policy which doesn't even cover my state. My only hope is that they'll scam someone from the federal trade commission, piss them off and we;ll all get free starwberries and cupcakes for life.

• Re
    remo123 Dec 09, 2015

i have ordered a birthday cake from there, first they messed up the date, then they delivered it a day late after me calling them and replacing the order . then when the cake arrived it looked nothing like the picture and mostly was crushed along with the box ., wish i could post pictures, so that no one will order it from them !!

Kimberly Ward Jan 21, 2016

I ordered these berries for my stepmom. They charged my credit card for a second delivery putting me on auto ship without my consent and refused to give me the money back. I had a complaint with how they delivered the product, they didn't knock on the door or ring the doorbell instead just left it on front porch at eight o clock at night. When you complain very indignant attitude. I paid a lot of money for this gift I expect much better service. Never again!

• Ka
    Kala S Feb 12, 2016

I ordered a Valentine's dDay order that was "guaranteed" delivery by the 12th -- Just to receive a tracking number confirmation from them & the carries confirm that it won't deliver until the following day. Because THATS what I paid $24.99 in "shipping" for... Of course! BS! On top of that --To get a rep that CANT EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH! -- Blows my mind furiously -- And to explain myself 5 times --- Forget it!! I'm done!!

• Ri
    Richard M Stone Feb 16, 2016

12 Red Roses with 6 Swizzled Strawberries and Cheesecake Trio:
    First the good: I did like the way that the strawberries were covered and didn't have the green tops on them. Very nice presentation for the berries and the cheesecake. Was delivered on time.
    Now the bad: If my order was the normal for service I will NEVER order from Shari's Berries again and recommend no one else does either. The flowers were not anywhere as full as the ones in the picture. So much so that it made the vase look too big for the flowers. Had to go and buy more flowers at a local florist to fill in the vase. I would of had better flowers if I had of bought the $15 dozen at local grocery store (and I don't like grocery store Roses). The roses also aren't lasting very long. 2 of the strawberries were good, but 4 were not ripe enough so instead of sweet they were more sour. I don't event want to get started on the cheese cake... WAY WAY WAY to much flower as a thickener in the cheesecake, gross. You can get the same quality at a local gas station bakery. Defiantly not what I expected from what should be a reputable company. I wouldn't of paid more than $25 for this whole thing (including shipping) if I had of had a sample and known. WAY over priced. Paid for for $86.95 ($102.94 after shipping).. Very unsatisfied. I've ordered from other online flower places and been very satisfied.

• La
    Laura Aquilino Pohl Apr 27, 2016

RIP OFF!! Just had 2 items in my cart which should have totaled $38 but was hit with 2 $14.99 delivery fee + $9.99 + 4.99. $44.96 delivery fee!!
    I though something must be wrong. When I called the person did not understand me or I definitely didn't understand her. I think she was trying to tell me that in order to be able to deliver fresh products they had to individually box and ship them therefore charge 2 fees. She said the additional fees were for rush orders. I noticed that when I first clicked on the delivery date it was regular shipping but then it changed to a violet color which is "rush"
    charge. I asked for her supervisor and of course was put on eternal hold and finally I hung up. Such a shame because the products look wonderful. This is what happens when greed takes over. Total SCAM!!!

• Do
    Doit NXS May 06, 2016

Total rip-off, bait and switch tactics and double shipping costs will guarantee to double the cost of your order. Complete shipping scam. Never again.

• Os
    Oshinsd May 06, 2016

My order for 6 strawberries of $29 ended up costing me just under $59. I sure hope they taste good because they must be made of gold or delivered by someone of royalty! The shipping cost more than the product itself.

• Ka
    kauriemmo May 07, 2016

I made an order to be delivered on a Friday (5/5/16). By Saturday afternoon (5/6/16), it was still not there. I called & they asked me to wait until 8pm because deliveries go until 8. And if it did not get delivered, to call back. Well I waited on hold for an hour and got no one. I will be contesting this charge with my credit card company.

I want a full refund for order #331233291783

• Us
    user1641313 Feb 25, 2017

I had order an birthday gift for my wife on Thursday feb 23, 2017, strawberries and three small cheese cakes, after looking at the bill rural charge was 15.00, overnight, my bill was 80.00 with discounts, top it off they use the worst delivery service FedEx, order was expected on Saturday some time during the day, they lost my order in rout from Portland Maine to where, I live in Brewer Maine . Tracking site sucks 4 to 12 hr delays in updating, I cringed when I saw they used FedEx, would have paid a little more for selection on delivery methods UPS hands down the best deliveries service, updated soft ware and no delay and if they have an issue the email you and call you to see if they can make arrangements to get the package to you ! Customer service they way it should be !!! Now I wondering if my gift is going to arrive spoiled, if so hope thiscompany will go good on it !! but will never order again from this company ever again !!

Not Cool, Man! May 13, 2017

I have the same complaints. Ordered flowers and berries for my mom for Mother's Day. Website showed Friday delivery date and my order ($95.23) also showed Friday delivery. It is now 9:00 PM Saturday, the night before Mother's Day and no trace of the packages. The UPS tracking site shows it is still sitting in a warehouse. Customer service said they would refund my account in 7-10 business days, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Do
    Don't use this company May 15, 2017

WARNING!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, THEY ARE A TOTAL DISASTER AND A TOTAL RIP-OFF !!!
    I order a $60.00 basket for my elderly mother who lives out of state as her Mothers Day gift. The additional delivery charges brought the total to $93.00, That's right, I said $93.00! That's not even the worst part of this dumpster fire of a company, its their lack of customer service! The gift never arrived on Mothers Day or ever for that matter and when I called customer service it was located in th Phillapienes! A woman who didn't have a command of the English language fed me a bunch of bull crap excuses and were absolutely no help with this issue. I asked for a supervisor and she would not let me speak to one. My brother and 2 sisters all gave my mother their Mothers Day gifts on time on her special day while me and my family ended up looking like a bunch of ungrateful people all because of this company's crappy delivery "guarantee" and crappy customer service! So now I am out $93.00 and I have an elderly mother who thinks my family is too busy to send her a Mothers Day gift. I will be telling everyone that I know not to use Sharis Berries AND I will be going on every social media site that I can and posting my negative experience about this company. I will definitely cost them more in lost sales and reputation than the $93.00 that they cost me! The word will spread, its like that old Brock shampoo comercial, you tell 2 friends, and they tell 2 friends and so on and so on...

• Sh
    Shockedshopper May 17, 2017

I ordered a package that included an additional delivery fee to have sent to My Mother Saturday May 13, to have on her most special day, Mother's Day. I became very well aware that they knew she did not receive her special gift on the 13th after an email that I received from them. I called and expressed my ultimate concern for the email I received stating the delivery date changed to Tuesday 05/16. I was shocked and concerned that my Mother would not have her gift on Mother’s Day. I was PROMISED by a service representative that it would be delivered overnight and received May 14, 2017. She gave her word!!! I believed her and felt reassured that My Mother would receive the gift on time. I am fully aware that they knew that she DID NOT receive her gift on Mother's day as promised because she did not ! I feel cheated and lied to.
    Shari's Berries lied to me. They deceived me and cheated My Mother out of her special gift that I was promised she would receive 05/14. Although I requested a delivery date again by replying to a letter sent by one of their reps. 05/15, I never received confirmation, then surprisingly the package arrived midday 05/15. The Flowers were wilted and far from revival. The chocolate covered strawberries and cheese cake are completely unrecognizable! What type of business would do this? I am completely insulted that Shari's Berries would consider this to be anywhere near acceptable. Nothing resembles what I paid for. Nothing resembles anything that anyone in their right mind would eat let alone enjoy.
    I received several scripted emails from several different customer sales representatives with weird names that don’t even seem real offering to resend the order or provide a credit coupon for the same value to redeem at another time. I chose the credit coupon each of the reps. I then received an email each time stating that the coupons were no longer available. This happened enough that I was just simply fed up. I finally asked that they re-send the package. I then received another email stating that the package I ordered was no longer available. This is an extremely unacceptable business practice. We are left with nothing!
    This experience has destroyed any enjoyable surprise I had expected to be given to My Mother for her Special day. I am completely embarrassed and ashamed by this situation that Shari's Berries put me and my Mother in. I can’t imagine the feeling My Mother had when she opened the package!
    I have been cheated, deceived, manipulated, lied to, insulted and made embarrassed as well as ashamed !
    This type of business practice lacks integrity, honesty, trust and dependability. The service that I have received from Shari's Berries is unacceptable and is a disgrace to the service industry.
    I have NEVER been treated like this!

• Oh
    Ohio_Boomer Feb 15, 2018

Rainbow roses were mediocre and one was cut (not broken) close to the bud. The vase that came with them had a neck too large to present the roses properly so the eleven (since one was cut) just drooped around the outside of the opening of the vase.
    The berries tasted fermented and were dripping fermented liquid. Chocolate covering the berries was bland and tasted artificial. This was a gift, and I feel so guilty my friend paid so much money for such a crummy product. The shipping charges are a real scam, as well.

• De
    Dervrak May 08, 2018

Shari's Berries - Utter Ripoff.

Heard a lot of their ads and I thought I would give them a try for Mother's Day. Though even at "sale" price of $39 for 12 chocolate dipped berries it seemed a bit high to begin with (you can get the same things at the Wal-Mart deli for $10). However, I bit the bullet and decided I would send my mother and my wife one, so I'm figuring on about $90 after shipping. Get to the payment screen and am ready to hit complete and happen to look at the total...wait?!? what?? $148?!? For that price those berries should be dipped in pure platinum! So I look at the breakdown to see how $80 became $148. $33.98($16.99x2) for standard shipping, $19.98 ($9.99x2) for a "Guaranteed Delivery Surcharge" (even though I said delivery was flexible and Mother's day is still a week away). And $7.98 ($3.99x2) for a rural delivery surcharge. Even though I have received hundreds of orders from various companies and have never, not one single time, been charged extra for being "rural" (which I'm really not, both I and mother live in large town of ~30, 000). Luckily, unlike some have stated, I WAS able to delete my order before I hit the final "complete" tab. Went to Amazon and ordered much nicer gifts with completely free Prime Shipping! I will never even consider this company again. Honestly don't know how this outfit stays in business, lazy holiday shoppers with money to burn I guess...

• Je
    jennifer j May 12, 2018

I ordered a basket for my mother in Colorado to be delivered the Friday before mother’s day on 5/11/18 and they never arrived. I was on the line with their outsourced customer service for 1 hour and 34 minutes! They were very hard to understand as English was their second language. I am attaching my live chat from 5/9 where I confirmed payment! They offered to deliver on the Tuesday after mother’s day but would not offer a discount of any kind. I ended up ordering from a local flower shop and they were very Accommodating to deliver on Sunday! I have used Sheri’s berries for the past 6 or 7 years for her birthday, Christmas, mother’s day, etc. but they lost a great customer forever. I will not use any of their affiliate companies either (proflowers, red envelope, etc.).

• Pe
    pete mercer Aug 20, 2018

Should I expect to receive the strawberries as shown in the photo? One of the strawberries is much smaller than the rest. Also, they arrived with only one freezer bag which was completely thawed. The berries; however, were still cool.

• Al
    Alicia Sullivan Aug 20, 2018

Supposed to deliver april5th showed up April 11th. Rotten!!! I want this fixed!!!

Kimbarlie Aug 20, 2018

I ordered berries for my daughters birthday which was yesterday. They were not delivered but my credit card was charged.
    This is unacceptable.
    I have ordered several products and have never had a problem.

• Ro
    Ron Briggs Aug 21, 2018

I purchased an item which cost $30.00. With shipping cost and taxes, my final bill was $70.00!! More than double!
    How is this legal?

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices