SAFEDIVERTSCAM / Rip-off

P

Via an Internet dating site, I met a person and she sent me a message via SAFEDIVERT to start communicating. It was rather clear that there would be a R60 per week subscription fee - nothing serious. After communicating for 4 weeks, I got a complimentary call from my cell phone service provider to inform me that my SMS bill was around R5000.00 (and this is for 2 weeks, I have another R6000 plus bill still on it's way). I phoned SAFEDIVERT (as noted above) to enquire and they told me that the costs where R10.00 per sms. I now believe that this is some sort of scam. I re-read the initial sms (the only one containing this info) and right at the bottom, equivalent to small print was this line - msg10rand60subendtxtstop. What is that supposed to mean? How does this tell me that every sms will be charged at R10. Only now do I understand that the msg10rand means R10 per SMS. The confirmation message stated a R60 subscription. It can very well be argued that the registration message would be R10. I was assuming normal sms rates thereafter.

Since I queried this, I have had not responce from the lady, and have come to the bitter conclusion that this was a scam. I am sure there are number of other people who have been caught and are to shy or embarassed to admit it.

• G
    G Oct 16, 2008

I had the same thing happen to me. I had a girl sms me by the name of Zoe. She claimed to go to the university of Johannesburg. It is a scam!!

• Bm
    BM Oct 29, 2008

Happening to me now! Thankfully I simply havent replied, but it appears to be a worldwide scam (I'm UK). On the same dating site, someone started chatting with me by asking me for my number, which set the alarm bells ringing again.

• Tr
    Tristan Nov 06, 2008

Safedivert is amazing..i met the love of my life on it and now were married with two gorgeous children..would reccomend it to anyone looking to fill a little a part of there life that seems to be missing.

• Jj
    JJVZ Nov 27, 2008

Hey, i am glad that i'm not the only one, yes she claimed to go to university of johannesburg, yes but mine came from australia, goodness i feel great, the bill ran up to R2000 a week, needless to say i am flat broke now. Oh and by the way the safedivert scam has been used worldwide. the signs seemd to be there you know, one minute her profile is up the next it dissapeared, leaving you no way to contact her except safedivert

• Th
    the_ninja19 Mar 12, 2009

hey guys,
    i'm currently texting this chick that i met online, and she ask me my number. she uses safedivert.com and is affiliated with nzsingles-online.com. I'm in New Zealand and she claims to be at university here in Wellington, good thing I only replied only a few texts but she sounds really legit, but I'm interested on that other guy who found his wife through safedivert.com...based on the comments it seems like it has been bad for most people but there's an annamolly on one.
    maybe I can take a chance and check this chick out...what do you guys think?

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices