Royal Pacific-Loews HotelsBed Bugs

Our family of 4 stayed at the Royal Pacific Resort in Orlando Florida April 6-9 of 2009.On the second evening there, I noticed bites on my torso and ankles, but attributed this to mosquitos.When we checked out on the 10th of April, we drove straight back to NC.Our luggage was left open in our downstairs bedroom, and my son took his luggage upstairs to his room.That weekend we all had bites, and noticed that some of our white tee's in the luggage had what looked like bugs on them.We asked a neighbor to come and look, and they said they were bed bugs.We did not want to believe this, and washed the clothes in our bags.To make a long story as short as possible, we had to throw out all the bedding, in our room, my son's room, the bedding in the room across from my son, clothes were thrown out, just because we all became paranoid that the bed bugs were still in the house.We cleaned the carpets, I had to remove the mattresses.my wife was so scared they were living in the beds.Dismantled my son's bed as well, and now, my wife wants the carpet replaced in our room, because she still feels the bugs on her at night! We asked the Royal Pacific for a refund for our 4 nights there.They were of no help at all.They practically suggested that we brought them in from our home, or that the bugs could have been there for a long time.A refund is extremely small for what we have been through.WARNING: Royal Pacific and their management only listens to their rationalizations, and not yours! They have made my wife cry, and took the fun away from our family! We loved to stay there, and enjoyed Universal, we did not ask for this to happen to us, it did!!

• Ri
    Richie G Jun 03, 2009

Dear Paranoid,

I Stay at the royal pacific resort every October when I come down from Illinois. I have now been there 8 years in a row. The hotel is extremely clean and was just remodeled over the last 24 months (Every single room). Im not saying there wasnt bed bugs, because that is possible in any location. They very well may be from the previous guests that stayed in your room. Good luck getting a refund from any hotel without having proof of said bugs. After the fact when you back home there is 0% chance.

Warning people, basically informing them against the staff and such because of an unfortunate incident in which you didnt get your way isnt really fair to them. During all my visits there have been times I have had to go to management on the occasional issues and have had no problem getting the issues solved or the occasional credits for this or that.

So on a scorecard, If i may...
    your 1 visit (4 days) an unfortunate incident but you still loved your stay there (your words)
    my 8 visits (29 days) Minor issues during all the years, with great staff and management over the years.
    No business can 100% all the time please everyone.

Stuff happens in life, we all know this. People need to learn to take things in stride. Look at all the people who cant even afford to take their families on vacations and have it hard enough with the day to day grind and bills. You will be able to look back on this in time and understand, what it meant for you and your family to get that precious time together. Even with the negatives things, and who knows maybe even have a laugh or to about it the also.

Richie G

• Ro
    rosemaryz Jun 13, 2009

Richie G...I am a front desk clerk at a hotel here in FLorida (Zephyrhills) I was extremely happy to see your outlook on things. I agree, once you leave the hotel, with no visable proof of your complaint, it is very difficult to get a refund, or even an adjustment. To Steven Hudson, my suggestion to you would be if you were experiencing these bites, you should have approached management while you were there on the property, not asked your neighbors opinion once you got home. I am sure management would have gladly inspected the room and made any changes, or adjustments necessary to make your stay better.
    I amsorry that you feel that you have to speak badly about a hotel that won't refund you for your 4 night stay, just because you called and complained DAYS AFTER you got home, let this experience be a lesson to you, always take care of the situation while still registered to your room, not after you leave!

• Di
    Divaaa Jun 30, 2009

Front desk... That family has every right to get a refund for their 4-ngt stay. It doesn't matter that they reported it after they left the hotel. The bottom line is the hotel has a responsiblity to ensure the premises sre safe and clean for all customers 365 days a year...

• Dl
    dlakers Jul 10, 2009

No hotel is going to refund you 4 nights.

• Am
    Amberglass Sep 02, 2009

Dear Mr. Hudson - So sorry for what you're experiencing, those who are not sympathic to your situation have absolutely no idea of how tramatic a bed bugs infestation can be, how expensive it is with hiring exterminators (can cost thousands to eradicate), how draining it can be to have to literally clean everything in your home from carpets, clothing, furniture, etc. It's anything but a simple procedure. People do not realize that the USA is beginning to experience a bed bug epidemic due to immigrants legal as well as illegal coming here & tourist locations are highly suspect for this problem, & they don't know the warning signs when entering a hotel room or the precautions to take. I suggest all read the nightmares what so many others are experiencing on bedbugger.com just so they know how vast a problem this is becoming, also they will inform you on how to combat the problem. Also see the daily list that keeps growing & growing on the bedbugregistry.com. It's so out of control I've decided never to spend another night at any hotel & to stay out of the bed bug capital of the world, NYC.