Ross Dress for Less / personal injury

United States Review updated:

Yesterday, my partner and I were shopping at the Ross store on Market street in San Francisco around 8:30 pm. My partner was on third floor and I was on the second floor carrying a shopping cart from Ross. I was going to use the escalator to go up the third floor, then I tried putting the cart on the escalator, but it was a bit unstable because it was not fitting well on the escalator stairs; and it was hard to move easily.
A staff member, who was also going up after me told me that she would put it on the escalator and I can just go ahead. She also wasn't able to put the cart on the escalator stairs after me and she ended up putting a few stairs down; there was a distance between me and the basket.
I tried to reach the basket, but I couldn't because of the distance between the basket and the stair that I was standing on. I fell down on the escalator stairs with rounds falling, sliding down and being carried up on the escalator.
As a result, my knee got injured by this incident, as well as my right leg and right hand and the right side of back. Finally, the same staff lady took me off the escalator, then she helped me sat on the floor. I was suffering from pain in my right side of the body, and my knee was bleeding.
Other Ross Staff workers didn't involved themselves in the scene, and they were even preventing my partner to help me because they were worried that any subsequent help or even just giving me some water to not get in any sort of trouble.
At the same time, another shopper was witnessing the whole incident. He wanted to take pictures, but the staff members prevented him to do, so he gave me his contact number to potentially help me if I need a witness.
Afterward, as the staffs recognized that the incident is so serious, they confirmed with me that I need urgent care they called 911. A staff member, gave my partner a paper to explain the incident although he didn't witness the scene because he was on third floor, then Staff worker said someone from Ross will call me to assist me with my post incident needs, but I haven't received a phone call from Ross yet. After a few minutes, Emergency medical technicians came to the store, and checked in my vital signals, and my knee and body. I was in unbearable pain and they transferred me to an ambulance and then to a local hospital. A physician came to the emergency room she checked my knee, back and my hand, then she gave me some medicines to relief the pain, and recommended me to follow up with my primary doctor if I have to get some treatments.

Ni
Jun 14, 2019

Comments

• Th
      Jun 14, 2019

I fired them all. You’re welcome.

•   Jun 14, 2019

I’m not sure why you reached out for the cart while on the escalator. If you did so as it reached the second floor, you could have waited until it was level with the landing and grabbed it.

I’m not trying to be a jerk but how is the store responsible for you falling? Was it slippery or did the escalator stop? Do they not have an elevator in the store? If they expect people to shop with carts with other floors, then they need to provide a safe way to do that.

Do they exclude wheelchairs from the above floors or do they have an elevator to accommodate them? If not, then discrimination and safety issues are present.

Keeping your partner away from you was wrong. He was obviously concerned about you and could help with information the paramedics might need. In pain you can’t always think clearly and someone to assist you is vital.

Hopefully it’s just bruised and banged up and nothing else is wrong with your knee. Meds help with the pain but cover any underlying issues or new pain

•   Jun 16, 2019

I'm sorry. This is too bizarre. You actually tried to shove a shopping trolly in an escalator? I've been to some stores where they install a separate shopping trolly escalator for only the trolly. Pedestrians are not allowed to be on that escalator not are trollies allowed on the pedestrian escalator.

So, what did you think was going to happen? Who is really responsible for your injuries? Your stupidity? (Sorry, the idiot gods are rolling on the floor laughing at this)
    They probably kept your SO from helping you because they were probably worried your SO would attempt to right you to your feet which (and I can't stress enough) ISNOTAPPROPRIATE/SAFE/WISE! You will do more damage, even irrevocable damage should the person be moved to standing if they had broken a bone in a leg or a hip. My neighbor was in a hospice care for over four months due to her not only falling from a NYC bus but the non-first aid graduates who witnessed, yanked her to her feet and crushed her hip in the process.

•   Jun 16, 2019

These are pictures of the shopping trolly escalators. These are from Target stores but I have seen them in other places: two bed bath and beyond stores in Manhattan, for example.

•   Jun 16, 2019

@Um is not an answer! Our Target is one floor and I’ve never seen a trolly before. Those are awesome for shoppers with carts.

•   Jun 17, 2019

@SubSquirrel I've only been to a couple of stores that have them. The store has to be built from the ground up with this in mind. For the most part we just don't have the room for a one floor target or bed bath and beyond.

•   Jun 17, 2019

@SubSquirrel I call them trollys because many people bring their own push carts.

•   Jun 17, 2019

@Um is not an answer! Both stores are huge around here. Target has the grocery store also and they have a huge piece of land.

•   Jun 17, 2019

@SubSquirrel Our stores are huge but we don't have much room to have a sprawling store.we have to build up, not out. In fact, one BBandB is three stories high. For customers only. probably more for offices and storage.

•   Jun 18, 2019

@Um is not an answer! They had one years ago that was four floors. It closed due to lack of business because a mall was built one town over.